Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kunster posted:

If MovieBob stuff can go in...

This year MatPat has been acknowledging that yes, most of his viewers are actual kids, so his videos have been slowly getting more family friendly, going away from the same guy that told off his audience for picking "What is a creeper made of " instead of "how to get pussy with dating sims". Recently I've seen his "Don't punch trees" video and the mix of how silly the concept is, how much he looked into videos of actual people doing it, and if it's even possible for the average audience viewer to do it is probably one of the best videos he's ever made. That's not saying much of course, but that's possibly a good direction that he's going into.

i am glad he is just aiming for kids now. his stuff is ok at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ague Proof posted:

I get Ellis blocking everyone because she is genuinely harassed and stalked by reactionaries

That was a really tone-deaf tweet. She probably thought it was okay because she follows trans accounts and hangs out with Wynn, forgetting it's different when someone who's not trans makes those kind of jokes

oh i have no issue with ellis blocking chuds and trolls. its just all the other dumb drama and than labeling that as the same as the former.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ague Proof posted:

That was a really tone-deaf tweet. She probably thought it was okay because she follows trans accounts and hangs out with Wynn, forgetting it's different when someone who's not trans makes those kind of jokes
It's the classic push/pull when you're big enough to draw serious eyes that you no longer get to engage with social media like a normal person.

Speaking entirely irrespective of how you feel about Obama, his Presidency, his politics, w/e, one thing about him that is still remarkable is how he understood this. He was, and remains, metered as gently caress with his public statements, to his detriment even, but that allows him the luxury of avoiding unforced errors like this. The worst he ever did was that cocky "well at least I'll get to be a President :smug:" joke on Jimmy Kimmel about Trump.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

I don't even get how this is supposed to be an "own" or whatever. Is Ricky gonna feel offended that someone identifies as him? Is that it?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Baka-nin posted:

In the version I saw that was Shiro's "best friend" who died.

I vaguely recall an interview about how they wanted to do more with the relationship and be open with it being romantic but someone higher up opposed it.

Which is why we just got an end of season epilogue wedding scene as a concession since the show was ending and I imagined it be easier to cut out in markets even more hostile to queer people existing than usual.

It's true they at least claim they wanted to do with more of Shiro's relationship, although most fans think the wedding at the end was weak tea since it was to a background character nobody knew or cared much about. There are many legit criticisms to be had about Voltron (killing its only female PoC is Not Great), although I think its shipping wars eclipsed everything else so the people who'd make 'Here Is Why Voltron is Bad And You Should Feel Bad' videos instead do that for Steven Universe or Legend of Korra.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I think that was meant to be less death and more ascension to goddesshood. Ymmv

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I don't even get how this is supposed to be an "own" or whatever. Is Ricky gonna feel offended that someone identifies as him? Is that it?
I think the attempt is that Ricky Gervais still subscribes to that tired Boomer "I identify as an attack helicopter" joke and it's supposed to be like an in-group wink at how stupid that poo poo is, but that's something you do after you're confident you've won and you're flexing during the victory lap, it doesn't really work as a snipe.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I don't blame Lindsay Ellis for ignoring/muting/blocking people address her negatively, even those who do it in earnest. When you get as much crap as she does, it's probably impossible to differentiate the legitimate harassment from the good-faith criticism.

The tweet is very bad though and I hope that someone who she mutually communicates with lets her know that.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
yeah, uh, Lindsay is a late-stage capitalism aware liberal, dumb things like this should no longer come as a surprise. She does media hot takes as a job.

not gonna say leftists can't earn money doing this, but it's an issue of outlook. For Ellis, at this point, it's about monetizing her personality and takes to pay the bills, and there's nothing inherently wrong with that except to the extent that the entire system of incentives is broken. it's not, as she might say, Thing Bad. It's "she's not a leftist YouTuber". and she can't be. She will sprinkle in left-leaning takes, and her criticism of Disney is implicitly a criticism of late stage capitalism, buuuuut, she does not want to be a political actor.

more problematically, neither does Contra. Ellis, by virtue of still primarily running a pop culture criticism channel, can largely avoid that status, but as someone that talks about hot button issues, Contra absolutely cannot, and should not. Sure, yeah, she's figuring herself out live for all of us to watch, and it sucks being a public figure. But if she doesn't want to be political, she could, you know, become a lifestyle/makeup guru, lol. Many of her fans would follow her in that journey. but her current approach of maintaining an unhealthy, love-hate relationship with her status as a political actor has become untenable. and whatever her protests about not wanting to only be the Chud Whisperer, her comments in that stream suggest that's exactly how she's positioning herself.

Which means she does have a responsibility to do better. again, if she doesn't want that responsibility, she must give up being a political figure. Or this is just going to keep happening, and worse.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Very well said.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Aaaand she just deleted it.

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.
Screenshot? Ironic bigotry is still bigotry

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

I'm glad. It means she probably realized it was bad. Makes me feel better than her just leaving it up in mockery.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Poison Jam posted:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The concept of the fan is so unhealthy. What good can come of subjecting a person to this level of scrutiny? “They put themselves out there in the first place blah blah blah,” but no person without the protection of a pr machine, watched every moment of every day, is going to perform perfectly every moment of the day. Everyone is a gigantic gently caress-up. You gently caress up all the time no matter how hard you try. This is obvious.

What do people get out of this silly firewatch? You can’t realistically expect more out of a stranger than you expect of yourself.

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there

Poison Jam posted:

No screenshot, but it said "I identify as Ricky Gervais", which... yikes.

Edit: beaten, nvm

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.
Thank you. Holy poo poo that’s just scummy

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The concept of the fan is so unhealthy. What good can come of subjecting a person to this level of scrutiny? “They put themselves out there in the first place blah blah blah,” but no person without the protection of a pr machine, watched every moment of every day, is going to perform perfectly every moment of the day. Everyone is a gigantic gently caress-up. You gently caress up all the time no matter how hard you try. This is obvious.

What do people get out of this silly firewatch? You can’t realistically expect more out of a stranger than you expect of yourself.

An integral part of dismantling the pedestal is talking about what they do wrong and why it's wrong

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

most of them are deeply mentally unhealthy people who feel like they have no control over their own lives but have found a way to get those quick and easy dopamine hits from cancelling each other

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CYBEReris posted:

An integral part of dismantling the pedestal is talking about what they do wrong and why it's wrong

I think it’s the same pathology either way. Doesn’t that just reinforce the idea that there’s a good love object out there waiting for you to fixate on?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I think it’s the same pathology either way. Doesn’t that just reinforce the idea that there’s a good love object out there waiting for you to fixate on?

No, it reinforces the idea that they're humans like me and you and we can learn as much if not more from their missteps as their good stuff

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jonah Galtberg posted:

most of them are deeply mentally unhealthy people who feel like they have no control over their own lives but have found a way to get those quick and easy dopamine hits from cancelling each other
Yes, turtles all the way down on this too.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

I have no sympathy with them... they do it... they do it for money!

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Dexter nosedives into a glorious explosion of bad. It's a must watch.

I really like this review of the series finale.

"As a rule, I think it’s ridiculous to judge someone for liking or disliking an artwork. But I have to be a hypocrite here: If, after watching “Remember The Monsters,” you still consider yourself a fan of Dexter, I’m judging you. Not quietly. Loudly. I’m in your face with a megaphone, yelling “WHAT IS YOUR DEAL? CAN’T YOU SEE HOW AWFUL THIS IS?” You may be thinking, “Why are you yelling into a megaphone? Isn’t that redundant?” But you love a show that, for the better part of eight seasons, has used voiceovers and ghost dads to call your attention to things you’re currently looking at with your eyes. So you’ll forgive me for thinking redundancy is your thing, won’t you?"

Solitair fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 3, 2019

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I will not have "I identify as" jokes banded around willy-nilly.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

I think the biggest issue is when iconic people gently caress up. And they can't or won't accept how they hosed up. They can flail and throw around apologies because they want the situation to go away for its own sake. Not because they hurt people and want to mend that.

Just a tiny bit of recognition as to why there is a problem rather than just acknowledging that there something is the problem in general.

Look at weird all. He used "spastic" in a song which is basically the hard R word.

https://twitter.com/alyankovic/status/490724534513700864?s=20

He recognized what the problem was and apologized for that. Instead of apologizing that people are upset.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Poison Jam posted:

don't steal my tweets!!! :mad:

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.
Sorry I don’t go on twitter and didn’t know

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Eschenique posted:

I think the biggest issue is when iconic people gently caress up. And they can't or won't accept how they hosed up. They can flail and throw around apologies because they want the situation to go away for its own sake. Not because they hurt people and want to mend that.

Just a tiny bit of recognition as to why there is a problem rather than just acknowledging that there something is the problem in general.

Look at weird all. He used "spastic" in a song which is basically the hard R word.

He recognized what the problem was and apologized for that. Instead of apologizing that people are upset.

There's a concept I've used a lot with very sensitive people in very sensitive situations:

Validate, don't indulge.

In a sensitive situation this can help differentiate people who are looking for support from people who are trying to latch on and wallow in misery. It also works when applied to dealing with people you really really don't agree with. Put aside your ego, remember that emotions are automatic and thus always valid, and that by being careful not to indulge you can discern whether the population will accept your validation and move on or is looking to continue to stamp their feet and generally be monsters.

This must get way harder when you're dealing with large fan-culture and pockets of weirdos can form who don't see your apology or otherwise go loving bonkers, but since all of that poo poo is way out of your control no matter what, the principle applies.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

emotions are automatic and thus always valid

no

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Have you thought about being a Twitter celebrity? You've got what it takes.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

mind the walrus posted:

There's a concept I've used a lot with very sensitive people in very sensitive situations:

Validate, don't indulge.

In a sensitive situation this can help differentiate people who are looking for support from people who are trying to latch on and wallow in misery. It also works when applied to dealing with people you really really don't agree with. Put aside your ego, remember that emotions are automatic and thus always valid, and that by being careful not to indulge you can discern whether the population will accept your validation and move on or is looking to continue to stamp their feet and generally be monsters.

This must get way harder when you're dealing with large fan-culture and pockets of weirdos can form who don't see your apology or otherwise go loving bonkers, but since all of that poo poo is way out of your control no matter what, the principle applies.

This is good advice,

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

me, a fool: i think its bad when youtube celebs post transphobic memes
you, enlightened: actually, thinking that means you have an empty life and want a quick dopamine hit

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Eschenique posted:

Seriously we can beat off about parasocial relationships and fandom and poo poo all day long but at the end of the day 90% of this is rooted in these people not understanding you can just say you hosed up. Yea some assholes will be assholes about it still but for most people just doing the Weird Al move of 'woops, hosed up, very sorry to those I hurt, will do better' is enough if it's sincere. So much of this just boils down to people refusing to 'back down' by admitting fault and nonsense like 'saying contra hosed up is basically targeted harassment'.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Endorph posted:

me, a fool: i think its bad when youtube celebs post transphobic memes
you, enlightened: actually, thinking that means you have an empty life and want a quick dopamine hit

:shuckyes:

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Well, in context Lindsay was trying to dunk on a poo poo heel who was being maliciously transphobic. It was an effort to just dunk on the unfunny comedian that wound up being transphobic itself, and she's now deleted it. To me it looks like an honest mistake judging the tone of a dunk.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

MonsieurChoc posted:

Kyoto Video cover sinfamous classic Genocyber:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDPpkwz3-Ko

It's a good video!

This is more than I few pages ago, but thanks for posting this. I'd never heard of them, and I really like their videos. As someone who grew up in the late 90s-early 00s anime boom, it's weird seeing context for all these pieces of media I had heard referenced all the time, and it's fascinating to see how these weird, insane products of the 80s Japan Bubble economy created one of the biggest animation industries in the world.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

sexpig by night posted:

you can just say you hosed up.

Experience does not, in fact, bear this out, and indeed, admitting any wrongdoing at all is demonstrably the best way to make people even more mad

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Experience does not, in fact, bear this out, and indeed, admitting any wrongdoing at all is demonstrably the best way to make people even more mad

yeah, no, this aint true.

the scab for deadspin admitted he hosed up and everyone pretty much accepted his apology

an apology with concrete actions that demonstrate contrition is extremely Cool and Good even in a lawless land like Twitter dot Com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Bug Squash posted:

Well, in context Lindsay was trying to dunk on a poo poo heel who was being maliciously transphobic. It was an effort to just dunk on the unfunny comedian that wound up being transphobic itself, and she's now deleted it. To me it looks like an honest mistake judging the tone of a dunk.

Aye, this is my feeling. Turning a bad joke around to show how bad it is and how dumb you looking using it can, in some cases, work. But it does not in this instance, and for my money withdrawing the joke is sufficient “yeah that didn’t work” acknowledgement to move on.