Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

On another classic-anime-related note, Kenny Lauderdale recently released a video about a lost relic of the medium's past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/spastic

quote:

The offensiveness of spastic and spaz differs considerably between the US and the UK. In the United States, the terms are inoffensive; in the UK, they are typically taken as denigrating references to those with cerebral palsy, and consequently University of Sussex linguist Lynne Murphy has described spastic as "one of the most taboo insults to a British ear"[1] and in a 2003 survey by the BBC it was voted the second-most offensive word relating to disability (after retard).[2][3]

Has Weird Al been British all this time without me knowing?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Has Weird Al been British all this time without me knowing?

No, he is American. Hth.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I would call that the British being ahead of us on calling out a word because spastic is absolutely a slur (though I associate it with stimming more than cerebral palsy).

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
First the brits tried forcing their tea on us and now their slurs? One revolution wasn't enough

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I have to say that's the first time I've heard that slur referred to as "the hard r word" and that's a very misleading way to refer to it

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
She actually hit both the "classics"

https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/1190863521241653249

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Good god. Just stop dunking on Gervase if you cant step in transphobic jokes.

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.
Glad YouTube won’t recommend videos made by her to me anymore. Christ alive

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Linear Zoetrope posted:

I would call that the British being ahead of us on calling out a word because spastic is absolutely a slur (though I associate it with stimming more than cerebral palsy).
Coming from a place of ignorance here, but it seems weird that anywhere would be so hateful as to have specific slurs for people with MS or cerebral palsy. Though this could just be like all of the Europe only slurs for Slavs and Poles.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

What the hell

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

I Before E posted:

I have to say that's the first time I've heard that slur referred to as "the hard r word" and that's a very misleading way to refer to it

For brits anyway.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

“The only good YouTuber” -
@ContraPoints

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Ok seriously we get it, Ricky Gervais is a huge doucher, you can stop this weird grudge you have against him now, it's not worth it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

This is more than I few pages ago, but thanks for posting this. I'd never heard of them, and I really like their videos. As someone who grew up in the late 90s-early 00s anime boom, it's weird seeing context for all these pieces of media I had heard referenced all the time, and it's fascinating to see how these weird, insane products of the 80s Japan Bubble economy created one of the biggest animation industries in the world.

I got into their videos thanks to this thread, and they're really good and deserve more views.

Here's an almost hour long video about how must Slayers Next owns:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J444yYW2sc

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Some Jerk's vlog for Star Wars Galaxy's Edge drops. Being Some Jerk, his vlogs are much closer to other people's intensely edited video essays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T-1pDUkilw

Also god drat the first 3 minutes are everything this tired Star Wars loving bitch has felt for two long, long years.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

We shouldn't acknowledge NB criticisms for fear of validating bad actors, but it's very important that we slam Ricky Gervais with sick burns that... wouldn't be out of place in a Ricky Gervais sketch, actually.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I Before E posted:

Incredibly bill Maher voice and let's not forget the real hard r, the republublub

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

CmdrKing posted:

Some Jerk's vlog for Star Wars Galaxy's Edge drops. Being Some Jerk, his vlogs are much closer to other people's intensely edited video essays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T-1pDUkilw

Also god drat the first 3 minutes are everything this tired Star Wars loving bitch has felt for two long, long years.

Im actually going to Disney world with my family in August. I can't wait to actually see this, but I heard they are going to be scaling back some of the LARP aspects of the place with the cast and employees. Which kind of stinks, a full Star Wars LARP is something I really wanted.

EDIT: I didnt understand where all the Galaxy Edge stuff was failing stuff came from though. Was it just lackluster or was it more nerds being angry Star Wars wasn't catering just to them anymore?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 3, 2019

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

Im actually going to Disney world with my family in August. I can't wait to actually see this, but I heard they are going to be scaling back some of the LARP aspects of the place with the cast and employees. Which kind of stinks, a full Star Wars LARP is something I really wanted.

Isn’t it Disney land that has the Star Wars thing? Or did they do one in Disney world too?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Isn’t it Disney land that has the Star Wars thing? Or did they do one in Disney world too?

World gets it January 17th

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I've tried to explain what a harsh and unacceptable slur 'spastic' is to British ears to Americans before and they either don't understand or will just laugh at you. It's completely unacceptable and so is casually calling someone a spaz or saying 'spaz out'. I mean I'm not trying to police anyone's language but it might help to know how it comes across to a portion of your audience? I dunno. Makes me tired.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Galaxy’s Edge is loving amazing. I could’ve spent an entire day there just walking around and taking it all in.

I think I sat looking at the Falcon for like 10 minutes.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Galaxy’s Edge is loving amazing. I could’ve spent an entire day there just walking around and taking it all in.

I think I sat looking at the Falcon for like 10 minutes.

Ok, im dedicating 2 days to Hollywood Studios then. 1 for the whole park, one for Galaxy's Edge itself.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I'm American and maybe it's the state/city/social group I'm in or something but I haven't heard spastic/spaz in well over 5 years and if I did I'd be immensely uncomfortable and speechless.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That sounds perfect because HS is pretty rad.

Also if you can go, don’t sleep on Avatar World. The flight of passage ride is maybe the best ride ever. It’s insane how it feels

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BigRed0427 posted:

World gets it January 17th

World already has it. I went a couple weeks ago.

They’re getting a new ride in December.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Endorph posted:

me, a fool: i think its bad when youtube celebs post transphobic memes
you, enlightened: actually, thinking that means you have an empty life and want a quick dopamine hit

lol that guy you're talking about literally went into a thread for people to discuss their mental health to find ammo to insult me with in a stupid internet fight, he's an utter piece of poo poo.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

EDIT: I didnt understand where all the Galaxy Edge stuff was failing stuff came from though. Was it just lackluster or was it more nerds being angry Star Wars wasn't catering just to them anymore?
I'm pretty sure aside from the usual lot of chuds Galaxy's Edge had a bad launch. If I remember correctly several of the rides weren't done yet so there wasn't a lot to do.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

BigRed0427 posted:

I've never been and yet I want to live in the Star Wars land. Sad that even if I went like... right now it wouldn't be quite the same as it was when it launched.

anyway, as I understand it Disneyland Resort as a whole had basically the lowest peak season attendance in years this year, and Galaxy's Edge never got particularly crowded, so people have seized on that as part of the larger "STAR WARS IS DEAD" narrative. Hooooowever, basically Galaxy's Edge was designed specifically to prevent overcrowding, you had to make reservations in advance of your visit, and those only lasted four hours. On top of that, a big chunk of Disneyland's attendance in general is from annual pass holders of different levels, and almost the entire summer was blacked out for them in anticipation of ginormous crowding they wanted to manage.

There were some legitimate reasons, like there's a major ride that hasn't opened yet there (I gather the Disney World version will open with both), but yeah, it's people seeing pictures of a Brand New Theme Park Land not crowded to the gills and saying "this fits my preexisting assumptions and therefor I must talk about it ad nauseum."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There are two rides at Galaxys Edge. One is the falcon ride the other is the Rise of the Resistance which opens next month in World. There’s plenty to do if you have the cash and planned ahead. The lightsaber creation thing is expensive and requires a reservation, same with the droid factory and the cantina.

But there’s still enough to find enjoyable if you content with taking it in. Also it’s a small part of the park. Like the Toy Story land. It’s essentially a fun area to pass through while you move on to the next thing.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

World already has it. I went a couple weeks ago.

They’re getting a new ride in December.

Awesome, awesome awesome.

Like I said: DISNEY! If you made a area of the large resort you have a full Star Wars LARP where everyone attending was encouraged to be in character at all times and are allowed to wear their own costumes (Or buy one from you guys) and were taken on their own weird adventure, I would totally spend money on this.

You would make 10 year old me so loving happy.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

Going off of what Jenny Nicholson said, it has had some real problems but they came from more typical, boring bad management decisions. But awful nerds are grabbing onto it to desperately try to push the "get woke, go broke" meme.

Disney was so sure that the park was going to be swamped that they basically ran ads telling people not to come right away. They barred season ticket holders and park worker's families from getting into Galaxy's Edge on their passes. And yeah, the second ride not being open convinced a lot of people to wait a year. Then attendance wasn't super high and they realized that they screwed up. They've apparently done this exact thing multiple times for other Disney parks. There are some lingering problems, and it's unclear if Disney will actually fix them right, but the nerds are wrong.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It would also, sadly be a liability.

I get why they wouldn’t want people dressing up, you wouldn’t be able to see who’s a cast member and who isn’t so that could cause issues either with kid safety or with just assholes wanting to gently caress over people.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Do you think there are internet men who go and try to debate the person dressed up like Rey?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No. Rey is too busy helping kids escape stormtroopers.

:3:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Do you think there are internet men who go and try to debate the person dressed up like Rey?

From what I read, Disney Security steps in at that point. Every character actor has a handler to step in in case stuff like that happens with anyone.

Edit: That said, Im sure it happened at least once. THeres always one.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 3, 2019

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m557jS5FAY

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

On the subject of good intentions, horrid executions...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCj8llyzfWo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

From what I read, Disney Security steps in at that point. Every character actor has a handler to step in in case stuff like that happens with anyone.

I’m imagining a guy in riot gear walking up with a baton and just bodying a guy streaming himself just asking questions for free speech, and I’m really ok with it.