Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Downside of Online is your character is mute. Sometimes I just enjoy hearing Arthur. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Evil Badman posted:

Downside of Online is your character is mute. Sometimes I just enjoy hearing Arthur. :)

Arthur is one of the most likeable characters in videogames for awhile even when hes being a dick.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I think I would really enjoy GTA Online and RDO a lot more if there was no other players.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Hihohe posted:

Arthur is one of the most likeable characters in videogames for awhile even when hes being a dick.

this feller bother you ma'am?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2urGT6Sdng&t=97s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh-QfY42ZW8

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 2, 2019

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

cheesetriangles posted:

I think I would really enjoy GTA Online and RDO a lot more if there was no other players.

Session Sweeper made GTA Online fun for me again. It also made leveling up some friends who hadn't played in ages much easier since we weren't getting blown up by orbital cannons and jet bikes around the clock.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I don't know what session sweeper is but if I want an empty public lobby instead of an invite-only one for the extra things that lets you do, I just block gta network traffic for 12 seconds when looking for a server via windows resource monitor. I assume we don't yet know whether or not that will work for RDR2 on PC, or did someone get word from Rockstar that it definitely won't?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

It doesn't happen often, but doing a Free Roam mission while in a running gun battle with a griefer can be super satisfying if you pull it off.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
am i missing any cool gimmicks on the legendary bounty this week? we followed the guy to a rock while he complained and killed some guys and took the guy to jail. way fewer drugs and crocodiles than i'd like. 2 yee-haws out of 5 yee-haws

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Evil Badman posted:

RDO would be 10x better if you just had Arthur’s voice, I agree. Sadie’s VA should be available if you’re going female

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

davebo posted:

I don't know what session sweeper is but if I want an empty public lobby instead of an invite-only one for the extra things that lets you do, I just block gta network traffic for 12 seconds when looking for a server via windows resource monitor. I assume we don't yet know whether or not that will work for RDR2 on PC, or did someone get word from Rockstar that it definitely won't?

Session Sweeper would suspend the GTA.exe for 10 seconds, disconnect you from online but keep you in a lobby. Then you'd hit... I think it was the pause key to lock the server so nobody else could join unless you invited them manually.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Capn Beeb posted:

Session Sweeper would suspend the GTA.exe for 10 seconds, disconnect you from online but keep you in a lobby. Then you'd hit... I think it was the pause key to lock the server so nobody else could join unless you invited them manually.

Not sure I understand them purpose of this. GTAO has always had private sessions.

RDO on the other hand would benefit greatly.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Around 2016 rockstar began adding pvpve content you could only accomplish in public lobbies with friends.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

yeah GTAO you kind of needed it to make any headway on the insane variety of CEO grinds without getting hosed with

I really haven’t had any problems with griefers in RDO since the radar/defensive updates. Every once in a while you’ll run into someone hostile, but I feel like you want that. Being just a passive ghost immune to all player interaction takes something away from the immersion I think they’re going for.

The balance I want is that an occasional player might shoot me/shoot at me for no reason but that then becomes an impactful decision and interaction for both of us, not just the start of an endless respawn/kill/respawn/kill loop until one of us leaves the server in annoyance.

The way it works now, with the radar system keeping you passively aware of real jerkoffs without giving them your location, the defensive mode as a deterrent and equalizer, and the spawn penalties for a griefer placing them further and further away preventing them from even finding you much less continuing a stupid respawn/briefing loop work really well for me.

Now you get to keep fun moments like hunting in the wilderness only to see a blue dot player on their horse slowly making their way up the path, watching them cautiously with you both aware it COULD get violent until maybe one of you tips their hat or gives a friendly wave to relieve the tension and go back to your business. Or getting ready to head back into town to sell some pelts only to see on the map there’s a dishonorable posse of red dot rear end in a top hat bad hombres loitering around, and planning an alternate route to the next nearest town to avoid getting ganked.

That poo poo all feels really immersive and keeping with the setting to me, you don’t want to erase player interaction completely or fragment the community with a full passive option, that leaves you with GTAO where anyone who isn’t playing passive is there to wreak absolute havoc and everyone passive is in their own little worlds, and the end result is everyone is essentially locked out of participating in the multiplayer game world in any constructive or interactable way

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Wheezle posted:

Not sure I understand them purpose of this. GTAO has always had private sessions.

RDO on the other hand would benefit greatly.

In a private session lots of activities are not available but in a 'normal' one that you have to yourself you can run things solo. Sales mostly.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Ultimate edition worth it at all?

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

Ultimate edition worth it at all?

not really. I got it at launch so I could get RDO early but at this point ehhh

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Okay so what if I don't want all those "gameplay boosts" for the story mode, but DO want the extra story missions from the Special Edition. Are those things baked in? Are they something that I can deactivate?

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

TooManyUzukis posted:

Okay so what if I don't want all those "gameplay boosts" for the story mode, but DO want the extra story missions from the Special Edition. Are those things baked in? Are they something that I can deactivate?

I forget what the gameplay boosts are, I don’t think they were anything significant. Not that I noticed anyway. I think it’s mostly just a bit of cash and tonics to start and some wearable items you can use or not use, a horse and poo poo, maybe a gun. If you want the extra missions I’d go ahead and get it. you can always donate the extra money and poo poo to the camp if you’re so inclined comrade

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

edit: loving mobile app

Mandrel fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 2, 2019

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

eonwe posted:

RDR2 on PC will be my first RDR experience

how much is it structured like GTA, and what is the online experience like? I generally did not like GTA V Online.

In general, it's more solemn and slow-paced than GTA. If GTA draws from Michael Bay/Fast & Furious movies, Red Dead is more of an Unforgiven/Deadwood vibe. There's much more world detail & immersion. Your home base is an organic part of the story instead of just a bed & a garage. Some mission types are similar to GTA, but there are some clever and very memorable missions scattered throughout the single player story.

RDO tends to be less chaotic than GTAO. People aren't yelling racial slurs at each other in the public voice channel. No k/d warriors in military vehicles repeatedly killing you. No power-creep bullshit like the orbital cannon. And there are ways to make money besides doing risky shipments in a vulnerable, slow-moving vehicle. Most of the time people stay out of your hair unless you happen to wander into a big PVP shootout going on in one of the towns.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I hope to has a first person option at least as good as gta5

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Single-action, pump-action, and lever-action guns you actually have to work the action by clicking the "pull trigger" button a second time, or zooming out then back in. It can take a minute to get used to that if you're used to how RDR played.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

My go to weapon for those players who insist on killing me is the pump action shotgun. Cheap, deadly. Sometimes takes care of their horse too.

When its me insisting on killing I try to involve the lasso as much as possible. When it works it really works!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Squirrel Burger posted:

Way fewer drugs and crocodiles than i'd like.

Thread title

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Internet Wizard posted:

Single-action, pump-action, and lever-action guns you actually have to work the action by clicking the "pull trigger" button a second time, or zooming out then back in. It can take a minute to get used to that if you're used to how RDR played.

I think it’s really cool once you do get the hang of it but yeah there’s a learning curve for sure.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dick Jones posted:

In general, it's more solemn and slow-paced than GTA. If GTA draws from Michael Bay/Fast & Furious movies, Red Dead is more of an Unforgiven/Deadwood vibe. There's much more world detail & immersion. Your home base is an organic part of the story instead of just a bed & a garage. Some mission types are similar to GTA, but there are some clever and very memorable missions scattered throughout the single player story.

RDO tends to be less chaotic than GTAO. People aren't yelling racial slurs at each other in the public voice channel. No k/d warriors in military vehicles repeatedly killing you. No power-creep bullshit like the orbital cannon. And there are ways to make money besides doing risky shipments in a vulnerable, slow-moving vehicle. Most of the time people stay out of your hair unless you happen to wander into a big PVP shootout going on in one of the towns.

That sounds perfect! I'm excited!!!!!

eonwe fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 3, 2019

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
happy holidays, rdr thread, i got us a new smilie :rockstar:

e: original gif by croccers, maybe, we think

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

oh its today

welcome pardners

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

looking forward to getting in with everyone in December when I can buy it on Steam. They say anything about a character transfer yet, from the consoles?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think it’s really cool once you do get the hang of it but yeah there’s a learning curve for sure.

your cross hairs also go from grey when you don't have one chambered to white when they do

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Gooch181 posted:

I hope to has a first person option at least as good as gta5

First Person is already in the game on console, so...yes?

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Babe Magnet posted:

looking forward to getting in with everyone in December when I can buy it on Steam. They say anything about a character transfer yet, from the consoles?

It's not happening, sadly. From here:

quote:

As for Red Dead Redemption 2’s online component, Red Dead Online, it will go live on PC at launch. It won’t offer any cross-platform play, and everyone will have to start fresh — unlike with Grand Theft Auto 5’s Grand Theft Auto Online, there won’t be an option to transfer existing characters from the PS4 or Xbox One versions. On the plus side, the PC version of Red Dead Online will launch with everything that’s currently available on console, including the Frontier Pursuits, or roles, that debuted in September. And after the PC port is released, Red Dead Online will get the same updates across all three platforms simultaneously.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Honestly that's probably for the best, it'd suck for folks that waited all this time to get non stop bodied by max level people with dynamite arrows and explosive bullets.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Capn Beeb posted:

Honestly that's probably for the best, it'd suck for folks that waited all this time to get non stop bodied by max level people with dynamite arrows and explosive bullets.

This is a really good point. I'm only disappointed because I finally got the undercut style from Bounty Hunter rank 10 or something like that. At least I will have more friends to do these bounties with. I've managed to recruit a few into forming a posse already.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
Remember all that free gold we gave you? Yeah you ain’t bringing any of that across.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I finally bought the Evans repeater last night. Nobody told me it holds 26 rounds! :fap:

ICMB
May 28, 2003
Iron Chef MonkeyButt
Man, I have been having some weird problems the last couple of days. My horse just won't spawn. No messages, just won't appear. I tried summoning my hunting wagon and dismissing it, no dice. I only own the one. It's persisted across a couple of logins. Any ideas?

Edit: I'm dumb. Restarted the PS4 and everything is fine now.

ICMB fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Nov 4, 2019

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

They haven't said what time this releases which for a game that comes out sometime in the next 24-30 hours at the most is annoying. I don't think I am lucky enough for a midnight AU/NZ release.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Yeah it's kind of insane. I'm hoping/praying for a local timezone release since I'm in eastern Australia - only 4.5 hours to go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
GTAV did a nz release so I’m hoping I can play in 2 hours if daylight savings doesn’t mess things up