Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

https://twitter.com/abigbagofkeys/status/1191164129509167104?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

the challenge phrase when they call is “oi”, and if you answer “you sick oval office” then it’s considered valid

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
From a while back but

The Fool posted:

My bank has a password specifically for over-the-phone authentication that is totally separate from my online-banking password or my ATM PIN.

USBank at least doesn't do this, and immediately asks you to type in your PIN when you call their fraud hotline. Interesting, and a bit unnerving when you're not sure if you've called the right number.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
I wonder how many people you could catch by just putting up a legit looking site with "bank of america fraud hotline" number and just have it capture those PINs

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I wonder how many people you could catch by just putting up a legit looking site with "bank of america fraud hotline" number and just have it capture those PINs

"Your phone number has not been recognized. Please enter card account number to associate your account with this phone number."

"Account has been added to your mobile number, pending verification. Please enter PIN to verify"

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
apparently when you integrate azure ad with duo you can still do password stuffing and bruteforce attacks. getting redirected to duo only happens if the password is valid.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

apparently when you integrate azure ad with duo you can still do password stuffing and bruteforce attacks. getting redirected to duo only happens if the password is valid.

this is how most mfa systems work

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

The Fool posted:

this is how most mfa systems work

well then most mfa systems are trash

i can’t believe loving citrix got this right and they didn’t

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

why would you integrate azure ad with duo instead of just using azure mfa?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

well then most mfa systems are trash

i can’t believe loving citrix got this right and they didn’t

the amount of user tickets generated from not knowing if it's the password or the token is not worth the added security. especially when you can handle it other ways like brute force detection, unknown location detection, disallowing common passwords, etc...

and if ur doing push Auth there's no token to even enter.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

But if they're doing lovely MFA design, how likely are they to mitigate the lovely MFA design by doing those extra things, rather than just design the entire thing in a lovely way?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shaggar posted:

the amount of user tickets generated from not knowing if it's the password or the token is not worth the added security. especially when you can handle it other ways like brute force detection, unknown location detection, disallowing common passwords, etc...

you could just tell them which was wrong if they got one right though, and it indeed seems more secure that way.

otoh just limiting to three attempts an hour with some logic to fully ban bruteforce attempts is indeed 99.9% of the security with less juggling of responsibilities.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Microsoft’s goal is to just eliminate the password prompt entirely

currently the model is:
enter username
perform primary auth
perform secondary auth

while for most people, the primary auth is just a password, but it doesn’t have to be and probably shouldn’t be

passwords are bad

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
has anyone here tried microsoft's passwordless implementation? afaik it's only for native azure ad, no hybrid support

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

you could just tell them which was wrong if they got one right though, and it indeed seems more secure that way.

yes, let’s tell the attacker they got the otp right and just need to figure out the password

if you’re going to gather both pieces at the same time you cannot indicate a partial failure, it’s either a full failure or a successful logon

the other problem is that gathering a password and otp at the same time means you can’t use other mfa methods

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
normal brain: blacklist login attempts after x number of failures

galaxy brain: always fail the first time when password and 2fa is correct, a real user will just try again

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

infernal machines posted:

has anyone here tried microsoft's passwordless implementation? afaik it's only for native azure ad, no hybrid support

I’m using it on my personal accounts

and there are hybrid use cases if you’re using pass through auth or hash sync

it’s trickier with adfs, but there are some options if you are running adfs 2019 with azure mfa

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I spent 6-ish hours yesterday being told that adfs is bad and phs is good

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

what are peoples thoughts on ping. ADFS seems way less fucky to get working but i dunno.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
ping is kind of dumb, it's so often blocked by firewall rules and it's so much more low level than anything you'd be asking the remote machine to do that it's kind of useless

you want to test for intended functionality most of the time, not that som epart of the os responds to icmp

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Pretty sure he means ping federation lol
possible :thejoke:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
idk all those fuckin' acronyms, you don't see me running my rear end in here about "afl" or "relro" or all that poo poo

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Ping up your rear end

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

pretty sure apple eol'd it anyway

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ymgve posted:

galaxy brain: always fail the first time when password and 2fa is correct, a real user will just try again

One of my banks does this to uncookied browsers. (Makes you do correct username/password twice before even prompting for OTP.)

How do I know I'm not always typoing my account details? Because I'm pasting them in.

James Baud fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 4, 2019

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

user-hostile security threatre is just awesome

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
if you aren't being inconvenienced how would you know how secure you are

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

power botton posted:

what are peoples thoughts on ping. ADFS seems way less fucky to get working but i dunno.

ping would be good in a world without adfs or azure ad

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
to log into your account, please insert one drop of your blood into your dna tester

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Soricidus posted:

to log into your account, please insert one drop of your blood into your dna tester

theradfsanos

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Soricidus posted:

why even ask? why not just use your enforced biometric fitness tracker auto prick you when needed

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Last Chance posted:

why even ask? why not just use your enforced biometric fitness tracker auto prick you when needed

When do you NOT need an auto prick?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Volmarias posted:

When do you NOT need an auto prick?

idk i try to minimize my bmw driver interactions

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Shaggar posted:

and if ur doing push Auth there's no token to even enter.

still why would you give attackers an oracle? it's already bad enough when our users show up on haveibeenpwned.com. we don't need attackers to also be able to guess passwords.

also bruteforce protection does jack poo poo. if you lock out users after x failed attempts then you just dos yourself (happened before, management rightfully told IT to gently caress off and disable lock out). if you lock out malicious ips then attackers simply do distributed bruteforce.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
this can be solved if the login redirected you to 2fa regardless of cred validity btw

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
not mfa related but i've had some fun dealing with a hosted service vendor whose fail2ban implementation repeatedly blocked an entire sales centre because one sales person fatfingered the creds on their iphone and kept forgetting to fix it

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

this can be solved if the login redirected you to 2fa regardless of cred validity btw

yes, I want my users to get push notifications every time their account comes up in the ongoing password spray attacks

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Fool posted:

yes, I want my users to get push notifications every time their account comes up in the ongoing password spray attacks

You don't actually send the push if the password was wrong, you just pretend to.

(Blah blah, timing oracle, you can do it right if you try.)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

James Baud posted:

You don't actually send the push if the password was wrong, you just pretend to.

(Blah blah, timing oracle, you can do it right if you try.)

If the attacker has the sms number, this still tells them if the password was correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Volmarias posted:

If the attacker has the sms number, this still tells them if the password was correct

If they have the second factor and get the password right, the user is screwed anyway?