Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Yeah I'm all pre loaded and the launcher doesn't give a countdown, pretty shoddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Apparently it's not live in New Zealand yet :-/
(currently 12:20am on November 5)

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I played through the single player on PS4 but never played multiplayer.

My goal for the PC version is just to wander around the beautiful world while listening to podcasts, and I'm not sure whether I should do that in SP or Online.

SP has some chill goals like looking for dinosaur bones and cave paintings, does Online have stuff like that? Does Online have any extra stuff added to the map like interesting little locations and huts etc? If Online is going to keep adding new stuff then it sounds like the place to be, but again, my goal is just relaxed traversal of the map with occasional stumbling upon something interesting.

The thing about not having any Arthur / Player dialogue while wandering around in Online sounds like a bummer... How do I say howdy to NPCs?

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Apparently

Some Games Website posted:

We have received confirmation from Rockstar that Red Dead Redemption 2 will unlock at 5am PT/ 8am ET / 1pm GMT on November 5th globally. This will mean Red Dead Redemption 2 won't unlock until 2am on November 6th in New Zealand, for example

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

fuf posted:

My goal for the PC version is just to wander around the beautiful world while listening to podcasts, and I'm not sure whether I should do that in SP or Online.

SP has some chill goals like looking for dinosaur bones and cave paintings, does Online have stuff like that? Does Online have any extra stuff added to the map like interesting little locations and huts etc? If Online is going to keep adding new stuff then it sounds like the place to be, but again, my goal is just relaxed traversal of the map with occasional stumbling upon something interesting.

The thing about not having any Arthur / Player dialogue while wandering around in Online sounds like a bummer... How do I say howdy to NPCs?

There's the collector role for online, which allows you to find collectible items while out in the world. Completing a collectible set can net you a let of money. Pretty much all of the neat little locales and whatnot are in the online game too.

There's emotes and you can tap them to do actions such as waving at NPCs, who will generally respond with a greeting of some kind.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
1am here in Australia and still nothing. I tried verifying the game cache a couple of times and after the checks it said "ready to play" which got me rather excited, but just a false alarm. Fingers crossed for the morning!

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
So is there an epic store preload?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

i must compose posted:

So is there an epic store preload?

that feature literally doesn't exist

You could preload Borderlands because Epic had Gearbox do it

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

fuf posted:

Online is the same world so you can still wander around and find neat places there, and it sounds like the Collector profession is what you’re looking for. that said, for sure SP is much more lived in to this point in terms of character interaction. Being a mute in Online is always gonna be more limiting than being able to literally converse with every NPC as Arthur in SP.

Though most people don’t know, NPCs in Online actually do react to your emotes the same way they respond to Arthur’s greet/antagonize in single player, if in a more limited fashion. No robbing and whatnot yet though. For full immersion, SP is definitely still where it’s at. They continue to evolve and add to Online though and from the interviews they did earlier this summer it sounds like they’ve got a pretty ambitious content roadmap planned out towards expanding the role playing experience.

Talk of adding roles, expanding the current ones in their natural evolution, player property and player to player businesses and storefronts, etc.

Edit: I missed the thing about wandering around listening to podcasts. Feel like Online is better suited to that, more mindless immersive activities and loops, less active story you’ll have to turn down the podcast to participate in

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Uh, I've preloaded and am ready to be a cowboy. I don't consoles so I'm going into this raw and uncut and am excited for the online mode the most tbh

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

fuf posted:

Transmogrifier posted:

There's the collector role for online, which allows you to find collectible items while out in the world. Completing a collectible set can net you a let of money. Pretty much all of the neat little locales and whatnot are in the online game too.

This is pretty much how I am playing the game. So long as you aren't trying to grind as fast as possible (which you can do if you want to look at an online map) collecting because a chill way to explore and pass the time and eventually get enough stuff for a big payout. Hunting for the trader role is also a lot of fun for exploring (and the two go well together) so long as you avoid the regular bug of Cripps packing up your camp.

I do think that there could be more cool online stuff and I am looking forward to the additions. I dunno if there are dinosaur bones and cave paintings but I haven't been out looking for them. Maybe I should. I have run into a bunch of random encounters which is fun.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I look forward to organizing some fun goon social events half a dozen times before I burn out realizing (again) that goons just want to grind.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Alright I think I'm gonna try Online first! Will be fun to play fresh content rather than replaying the prologue etc. again anyway. Thanks.

I'm definitely gonna get an SP save going at some point too though because I miss Arthur.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Is there a discord for online?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If you need a discord for online and there isnt one, let me know. I can add a channel to the one I admin.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Oh man, I'm unbelievably tempted to buy this right now.
I've been dying for a proper open world cowboy game on the PC since GUN failed to live up to my expectations.

Is the pacing really as slow as people say? I've heard that the entire first chapter is pretty much just a walking simulator with some unexciting activities to do.

And how excessive is the survival stuff? I'm not a fan of needing to manage hundreds of different meters just to stay alive for 40 ingame minutes.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Deakul posted:

Is the pacing really as slow as people say? I've heard that the entire first chapter is pretty much just a walking simulator with some unexciting activities to do.

It takes a while to open up properly, but not that long, maybe a couple of hours max. Just think of it as building atmosphere. It's worth it.

Deakul posted:

And how excessive is the survival stuff? I'm not a fan of needing to manage hundreds of different meters just to stay alive for 40 ingame minutes.

It's fine. It adds flavour but you can ignore it all. The combat is (too) easy so it's no big deal if your meters are low. You don't actually die or anything.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Another thing to consider is that there is a lot of cinematic cut scenes in the game too, especially in the beginning. A lot of your time is spent watching a movie.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Rockstar confirmed the 8 am et release time in a tweet.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
What is the Red Dead Online sandbox like? I really enjoyed some of the single-player activities like the hunting, minigames, the bank-robberies (ESPECIALLY the bank robberies) and the weird misc stuff. Is that stuff in RDO too? I'd be buying the PC version basically entirely for that.

I assume the PC version will be cheater and griefer central but I'd be willing to put up with that if I got to rob banks and poo poo.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

fuf posted:

It takes a while to open up properly, but not that long, maybe a couple of hours max. Just think of it as building atmosphere. It's worth it.

It's fine. It adds flavour but you can ignore it all. The combat is (too) easy so it's no big deal if your meters are low. You don't actually die or anything.

Alright cool, how about things like... animations for doing any little thing? Do they get faster the more you do them or are you watching Arthur painstakingly skin a deer rear end every single time?

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Pierson posted:

What is the Red Dead Online sandbox like? I really enjoyed some of the single-player activities like the hunting, minigames, the bank-robberies (ESPECIALLY the bank robberies) and the weird misc stuff. Is that stuff in RDO too? I'd be buying the PC version basically entirely for that.

I assume the PC version will be cheater and griefer central but I'd be willing to put up with that if I got to rob banks and poo poo.

There are missions where you can do things like jailbreaks, rescues, and other stranger missions you could encounter in single player. There are no bank robbery missions since it would mean money galore. There are unique missions available only if you're at dishonorable, if you're in offensive mode, and/or if you're in a posse too.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Does that mean no unique missions if you are honorable?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Transmogrifier posted:

There are missions where you can do things like jailbreaks, rescues, and other stranger missions you could encounter in single player. There are no bank robbery missions since it would mean money galore. There are unique missions available only if you're at dishonorable, if you're in offensive mode, and/or if you're in a posse too.
That's a good answer, thanks! Even if you can't rob banks I assume you can do 'normal' stuff for fun like robbing stores and doing train robberies? If it isn't obvious I really like causing chaos in these games.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Pierson posted:

That's a good answer, thanks! Even if you can't rob banks I assume you can do 'normal' stuff for fun like robbing stores and doing train robberies? If it isn't obvious I really like causing chaos in these games.

I've never robbed a store but I wouldn't be surprised if you still can because it's not a huge payout. You can definitely still rob folks though.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Game preloaded, releases at 1pm here, and after work my wife is out until late :getin:

The only thing that makes me sad is that having been released for a while, it might be well polished. Oh well here's hoping for some PC-exclusive glitches :v:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

This must be your first Rockstar game. The only polish they have are named candy and holly and they're paid for by the money we gave to the benzies.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Deakul posted:

Oh man, I'm unbelievably tempted to buy this right now.
I've been dying for a proper open world cowboy game on the PC since GUN failed to live up to my expectations.

The beginning is very railroaded but it's still over faster than like any JRPG's slow opening.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

cheesetriangles posted:

Does that mean no unique missions if you are honorable?

No it just means you have to be a goody goody for some of them and a right bastard for the others. There is a dude you can pay to change your rep as needed. Its hard to keep dishonourable actually. Almost eveything you do gets you positive honour, even feeding your horse.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

gently caress yeah lets do this thing. :clint:

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
Great so I can’t play until I get home from work on the 6th. 😭

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
I decided to go ahead and adopt an old Discord server for Red Dead shenanigans. If you need some channels made for your posse, let me [Hennessy] know. https://discord.gg/yRkJgbk :clint:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I’m mildly annoyed that the release isn’t until 8am ET (which makes it midnight on the 6th here), but why the gently caress couldn’t they tell us this days ago. It was 7am on the 5th when that tweet appeared 🙄

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

This week's legendary bounty is another one that did nothing wrong and should be a quest giver.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Zigmidge posted:

This must be your first Rockstar game. The only polish they have are named candy and holly and they're paid for by the money we gave to the benzies.

I played lemmings and gta 1 from when they were DMA design actually, all through gta 5 and that's exactly why I do expect jank and would be disappointed if everything ran smoothly :D

Haven't been keeping up with modern consoles though so I am going in fresh :allears: hopefully the story lives up to the hype.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Capn Beeb posted:

This week's legendary bounty is another one that did nothing wrong and should be a quest giver.

That plus I don't give a gently caress about helping Leviticus Cornwall

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

poo poo I forgot they made lemmings

dma/rockstar has been in my life even longer than I realized

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Zigmidge posted:

poo poo I forgot they made lemmings

dma/rockstar has been in my life even longer than I realized

They ruined many a child's life

Just as I wish to do with my lasso, stealing their young mothers as a good criminal must

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Deakul posted:

Alright cool, how about things like... animations for doing any little thing? Do they get faster the more you do them or are you watching Arthur painstakingly skin a deer rear end every single time?

they sped them up in online but no they stay the same speed in SP. they’re really not that long though, you’re not gonna be skimming so many deer asses in a row that it’s likely going to be any real imposition. but it is important to realize the game is designed to be played at a very deliberate pace, and attempts to play it faster or idk gamier the way you would fly from waypoint you waypoint in an Ubisoft game are going to result in frustration

just enjoy the game as it comes to you. if skinning poo poo is too tedious nothing stopping you from just eating general store canned goods or candy until Arthur plumps up like a big goon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Would it not make sense to use the Red Dead Goons discord server for pc also? or has the moderator of that jumped ship?