Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Frond posted:

Those Mirages were actually respectable cars though.

I've seen quite a few of the coupes here as serious autocross cars. Caged, fuel cell, no interior, the whole works. Lots of beat-up sedans with the same treatment, dunno what exactly those are used for. Rallycross maybe?

Stock they feel pleasantly go-kart-ish. Good on gas, too. Last time fuel got really expensive you'd find people selling 150,000+ mile cars for five grand. I get it, my job at the time was spending almost as much on diesel for the truck as on my salary. Hyper-mileing on a daily route in an Olds Aurora got me 24 mpg and the gas bill was still outrageous. I doubt paying twice the price for a used car would have made up for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

I've got some homegrown content today:

I tried to remove a Gentex auto dimming mirror from an early 00s Crown Vic to install in my Tracker. I've gone through two OEM ones and they keep breaking so I'm going to full on retrofit a power dimmer like I did in the Squire. I couldn't get the spring tabs to unlock from the button so I pulled and pulled and pulled and p-

That's some strong stuff!

Also, my dad's been fighting his 100 series Landcruiser that keeps failing emissions. The truck's throwing all sorts of codes and he's replaced sensors, injectors, you name it. Finally found the source of his truck's problems:

He estimates this was last replaced 70K miles ago.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Crustashio posted:

The mirage starts at 11k canadian, what the gently caress?

Super scumbag dealer that makes buy here pay here dealers that repo if you're 5 minutes late on a payment look like angels.

davebo posted:

One day I had to take my sister's 1999 (I think?) Mirage to get inspected when she was selling it. It felt faster than I thought it would. Not because it was actually fast of course, but because the whole thing felt so light and cheap like there was nothing separating me from the road and the other cars, which made me acutely aware of my speed at all times, like a motorcycle.

Your sister's Mirage had an extra cylinder. The new ones have 3 cylinders, have quite a bit less power, and the weight isn't that far off between the years.

1999 Mirage: 92-113 hp depending on engine, 2100-2300 lbs depending on trim/options
2019 Mirage: 78 hp, 2000-2200 lbs depending on trim/options

The 99 was also a bigger car overall, or felt like it anyway. The '19 was CRAMPED, and I'm only 5'8.

0-60 when I test drove it was "when you find a hill to go down". And you had to rev the fucker to the moon to get it to launch (manual trans) - I kept stalling the drat thing. I'm used to cars that can take off from a stop with barely touching the gas (GF's Matrix comfortably launches at ~1200 rpm with very little clutch slip, Saturn was more of a "just let the clutch out and step on the gas" - the Saturn was difficult to stall). I had to rev the '19 Mirage to about 4000 to take off out of the dealer parking lot... with a very very slight incline (I'd say 2-3 degrees?), and I could smell the clutch every time I took off.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Luxrage posted:

Also, my dad's been fighting his 100 series Landcruiser that keeps failing emissions.

idk of landcruisers have the 40 year air filter yet

...and if so that'd be the ultimate rally yaris uprgade

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

STR posted:

Your sister's Mirage had an extra cylinder. The new ones have 3 cylinders, have quite a bit less power, and the weight isn't that far off between the years.

Wow, the only 3-cyl available in the USA that I knew about was that 1 liter engine ford had in the Fiesta.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

And the new Escape rolling out now

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Luxrage posted:

Also, my dad's been fighting his 100 series Landcruiser that keeps failing emissions. The truck's throwing all sorts of codes and he's replaced sensors, injectors, you name it. Finally found the source of his truck's problems:

He estimates this was last replaced 70K miles ago.

Preventative maintenance is partially so you can eliminate troubleshooting steps when things go wrong. :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

davebo posted:

Wow, the only 3-cyl available in the USA that I knew about was that 1 liter engine ford had in the Fiesta.

Not available anymore - Ford dropped it after the 2017 year model, and dropped the Fiesta entirely in the US after the end of the 2019 model year (there's still some unsold ones on dealer lots, but they're not in production anymore). And that little 1 liter had a cute little snail strapped on that had it pumping out pretty decent power - 123 horsepower and 148 foot-pounds of torque is pretty good for a 1.6 to 1.8 liter 4 cylinder; with a 1 liter 3 cylinder it's loving impressive.

I believe the only 3 cylinder still available today is in the Mirage. And man.. watching that thing idle with the hood open is hilarity. It's so unbalanced that you can easily tell they asked Jell-O to make the motor mounts. It bounces around so bad in that engine bay.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
BMW I8 has a 1.5 turbo 3 banger.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That's an electric car that happens to have a generator run by an engine, instead of the engine being connected to the wheels (a'la Chevy Volt). Therefore, it doesn't count. :colbert:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 4, 2019

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Supposedly the new Escape will have the 1.5 litre triple.

EDIT: Not saying that to go all "ackchyually STR", since it's not out yet.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

STR posted:

That's an electric car that happens to have a generator run by an engine, instead of the engine being connected to the wheels (a'la Chevy Volt). Therefore, it doesn't count. :colbert:

The turbo inline-3 on the i8 is most definitely connected to the wheels.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ackchyually, Ford invested a lot of R&D into the 3 cyl Ecoboost, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them try to bring it back to the US market. It's still a global motor that they can use in pretty much any market, but still.

I think the biggest hurdle will be getting Americans to accept a 3 cylinder engine - most Americans associate them with the Geo Metro/Suzuki Swift, and now, the Mitsubishi Mirage (aka, cars that can barely hit 55). The 3 cyl/1L Fiesta made a bit more power than the base model engine, and was the most fuel efficient, but it was the most unloved option. Add that most of them (in the US) were ordered with the Powershit, and a large number of them are either constantly getting replacement transaxles, or already junked.

I was giving late model Fiestas and Focuses a good hard look before winding up in the Subaru; the Powershits were significantly cheaper than the 3 pedal versions (seriously, I saw 2018s going for $4-8k with relatively low miles and well optioned, and ALWAYS at buy here pay here lots). The manual transmission versions were showing up as CPO pretty often for $10k+, while I didn't see a single Powershift offered as CPO in my searches.

Lightbulb Out posted:

The turbo inline-3 on the i8 is most definitely connected to the wheels.

My bad. I thought it was a motor/generator setup like the Chevy Volt. :doh:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You're probably thinking of the i3

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The Ecosport still uses the three cylinder

E. basic Minis use the BMW three cylinder too (same one as the crappy 3 series)

dissss fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 5, 2019

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

STR posted:

No, it isn’t. You’re thinking of the two-cylinder bike engine in the i3. The i8 engine is the only thing that powers that car’s rear wheels.

A variant of that engine also drives the front wheels of the Mini Countryman hybrid, because that powertrain is basically the i8’s, but backwards.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
The tiny dick convention is in town:

These four took up seven parking spots on their own, and there were another couple I couldn't fit in the frame (too big, clean, and chrome'd up).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If I had gently caress you money I would totally buy a camper semi truck.

Also with a flatbed so I could haul an imported Jimny and when I got to my perfect camping location I could go offroading.

Rivethead
Feb 22, 2008

Here is something I never thought would happen:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Needs a bigger void in the center of the grille.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 6, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

...has Nissan tarnished their name enough that Datsun is a viable option again?

edit: huh.

Wikipedia posted:

By 1986 Nissan had phased out the Datsun name, but re-launched it in June 2013 as the brand for low-cost vehicles manufactured for emerging markets.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 6, 2019

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

The Datsun name should have only been brought back to relaunch a brand new (and much improved) Z, and maybe a truck that's much smaller than the rest of the market.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

MomJeans420 posted:

The Datsun name should have only been brought back to relaunch a brand new (and much improved) Z, and maybe a truck that's much smaller than the rest of the market.

Mega agreed.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

MomJeans420 posted:

The Datsun name should have only been brought back to relaunch a brand new (and much improved) Z

Launch it with a remix of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXdFKcETEPg

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Nissan's new management is axing the Datsun name immediately, so I guess this is a chance to get a limited edition piece of poo poo.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

joat mon posted:

Needs a bigger void in the center of the grille.

speaking of ridiculous centre grills

I thought Lexus was the new king of the hill

anyone seen the new genesis?

Uggghhh

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Blue On Blue posted:

speaking of ridiculous centre grills

I thought Lexus was the new king of the hill

anyone seen the new genesis?

Uggghhh

That's a bad mockup as far as I can tell. And outdated.

https://www.genesis.com/us/en/2020/genesis-g80.html

The actual car doesn't look that bad.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Powershift posted:

You're probably thinking of the i3

thinkin bout thos donks

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

ishikabibble posted:

That's a bad mockup as far as I can tell. And outdated.

https://www.genesis.com/us/en/2020/genesis-g80.html

The actual car doesn't look that bad.

That picture is a photoshop of one of the existing G80 promo images. However, the design is based on the refreshed G90 which I guess hasn’t come out in the US yet. Spy shots with wraps on make it obvious that the G80 will take a similar direction.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Darchangel posted:

...has Nissan tarnished their name enough that Datsun is a viable option again?

Lmao I knew about the Z but this was my first thought as well

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Nissan should just roll out another S-chassis (S16) car instead of the ZzZzzZzzzZzzzzzzzzzz..... It should also be lego compatible with all the previous years like the old S13/14/15. :colbert:

Wouldn't be much of a stretch considering how much they let their platforms age.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Octopus Magic posted:

Nissan should just roll out another S-chassis (S16) car instead of the ZzZzzZzzzZzzzzzzzzzz..... It should also be lego compatible with all the previous years like the old S13/14/15. :colbert:

My man.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Their new management said the Z car is important to them so expect it to remain in production for the next 69 years.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
In hindsight I think Renault has done pretty irreversible damage to Nissan as a whole. The cars have been poo poo for 15 years now.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
The last good Nissan sold in the US was in TYOOL 1998. Change my mind.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Octopus Magic posted:

Wouldn't be much of a stretch considering how much they let their platforms age.

No poo poo. They probably would still be selling a lot of them if they never axed it and just refreshed it now and then, the idiots axed it right when the drifting scene was blowing up they could have sold a shitload of cars just from drifters and wannabe drifters alone.

I would without a doubt buy a new S16MT base model, imagine how cheap Nissan would be able to sell them now.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
It would've been an incredible competitor to the FRS/BRZ. Those seem like they sold exceptionally well for a small "2+2" coupe; I see them everywhere.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The Z Car and GT-R are the last passable cars they make. And they are both ancient.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Renault...a clusterfuck.

Graft and corruption run amok.

Funniest thing is they run a factory F1 team. And yeah, I know, F1 is a boring circus. But the engines they also supply go to McLaren who have beaten them. That sort of has to hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Renault F1 team spent an insane amount of money to have Daniel Ricciardo finish between 7th-13th.