Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

the bottom of each ranked bracket is the place where jank lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Love drawing nothing but lands while my opponent keeps proliferating his 4 walkers in artisan. Just gently caress off.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
knowing when to concede is a valuable skill, especially when it's clear you're out of options

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Having 3+ walkers on the board with no clear way to remove them shortly is definitely a good point to call it a game.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
"I should see if eldraine draft got any better since I last tried"

game 1:

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

So far, the NPE has been pretty alright I must say. Draft is not what I thought it would be, but I guess I don't hate it.

I like being able to jump in and use some functional decks without seeing Oko yet.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm having a lot of fun just trying as many different decks as possible in Artisan. UW fliers is the most fun, I've blown out a few people by having double Rally of Wings in my hand. The Dimir discard/surveil deck is also fun but I feel sort of dickish for playing it when everyone's just trying to chill.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Copied this off of LVD stream yesterday. It's actually quite entertaining.

Turn One Bird
4 Arclight Phoenix (GRN) 91
4 Lovestruck Beast (ELD) 165
4 Edgewall Innkeeper (ELD) 151
4 Rosethorn Acolyte (ELD) 174
4 Bonecrusher Giant (ELD) 115
4 Merchant of the Vale (ELD) 131

4 Once Upon a Time (ELD) 169
4 Thrill of Possibility (ELD) 146
4 Shock (M19) 156

4 Stomping Ground (RNA) 259
10 Forest (ANA) 60
10 Mountain (ELD) 265

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I'm enjoying this Artisan event. I kind of hope the format sticks around eventually. I'm 7-2 so far with a janky Izzet Drakes deck including 2 wins with my super secret Fling tech.

The field is surprisingly diverse and I've seen some neat stuff that wouldn't survive in standard like a Golgari deck trying to pull off shenanigans with Sorcerer's Broom.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I am having exactly 0 fun in Artisan although it may be because I'm just playing whatever random decks I can find.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I built Mono Red for Artisan and beat U/W Fliers and Mono-White Lifegain 5 times.

I lost to Golgari lifegain, Archway Angel Gates, U/G Life gains and on and on and on.

This event is a solid 2/5 for me.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Attestant posted:

Having 3+ walkers on the board with no clear way to remove them shortly is definitely a good point to call it a game.

I love walkers. It's so much fun how the entire meta revolves around playing them or countering them. Definitely top tier game design and not loving lovely at all.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I've seen exactly 1 walker in the artisan event so it's not really relevant but complain train never stops I guess

Eej posted:

I am having exactly 0 fun in Artisan although it may be because I'm just playing whatever random decks I can find.
Build gates with flame sweep and pyrohelix. Everyone walks into pyrohelix. EVERYONE.

Or don't, it's brain dead and people sit there trying to do fancy poo poo while your goats beat them to death.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I think it's more that I hate BO1 a lot now

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I haven’t touched Bo1 since before Field was banned. This format is 100% about sideboarded games, dawg, it’s not like last year when you could just steamroll Bo1 with a good deck forever.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Lemme get right on building a Sideboard for the BO1 only event

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Eej posted:

Lemme get right on building a Sideboard for the BO1 only event

Fae of Wishes, checkmate. :smug:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Oh your complaining about the Peasant event where no one gets to run good cards, who cares it’s practically free and optional, I thought you were complaining about ranked.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Someone posted a real good Red/Green Grumgully deck itt yesterday and I played it and went 5-1, just play that

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Dimir Aerial Surveillance 5-0'd this one effortlessly. Faced two Boros Knight/7Dwarves, one Azorius Fliers, one Golgari Food, and one White Lifegain deck.

To be honest, if there was a fast rush deck I might have run into some trouble.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Bust Rodd

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I found some random Dimir Control deck and that made all the Simic Flash players mad and I got my artwork so I'm good

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Bell_ posted:

Dimir Aerial Surveillance 5-0'd this one effortlessly. Faced two Boros Knight/7Dwarves, one Azorius Fliers, one Golgari Food, and one White Lifegain deck.

To be honest, if there was a fast rush deck I might have run into some trouble.

What's the list?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Cheen posted:

Bust Rodd

way

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

qbert posted:

What's the list?
I netdecked this one off of the first hit thing catching my eyes on a Google search
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOz0S0P6lKo

"some guy going by 'Merchant' posted:

4 Thought Erasure
4 Dimir Guildgate
7 Swamp
8 Island
3 Sinister Sabotage
2 Disfigure
3 Thoughtbound Phantasm
4 Dismal Backwater
2 Quench
2 Notion Rain
3 Discovery // Dispersal
3 Tyrant's Scorn
4 Nightveil Predator
3 Disinformation Campaign
4 Nightveil Sprite
4 Dimir Spybug
TBH, I didn't even watch the video. The list plays itself. Cheap threats, some quicky removal, Dispersal later for removal. Your mileage may vary, but the humble Nightveil Sprite was my MVP.

Bell_ fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 4, 2019

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

so, uh, I didn't know a card could steal lands. I never had that happen in magic before, only been playing 2 years but still.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Lands are a Permanent.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
so many yaroks

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Lands are a Permanent.

This is what I learned today.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Looks like you got wrecked by the classic Kaya's Ghostform on the Paradise Druid. Oldest trick in the book.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Wait a second, that's a pauper tournament that gives only cosmetics and costs 2500 gold to enter? WotC getting cheaper over time it seems.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Sneaky Wombat posted:

so, uh, I didn't know a card could steal lands. I never had that happen in magic before, only been playing 2 years but still.
Yeah, Agent of Treachery being a land-stealing shitlord was a pretty popular counterplay before Fields got banned. Worst part is that as far as I can tell, there's no way to ever bounce a land back to its owner's hand, and Trostani's "no more stealing" effect doesn't work on lands either.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, Agent of Treachery being a land-stealing shitlord was a pretty popular counterplay before Fields got banned. Worst part is that as far as I can tell, there's no way to ever bounce a land back to its owner's hand, and Trostani's "no more stealing" effect doesn't work on lands either.

my worst/best play on arena so far was smugging and going oops when my opponent dropped trostani, stealing her with agent, then having to go oops and conceding in shame when her effect went off

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Zero VGS posted:

Wait a second, that's a pauper tournament that gives only cosmetics and costs 2500 gold to enter? WotC getting cheaper over time it seems.

Yeah i was super disappointed by the entry fee but interested enough in the format to wait another few days to do my next unsuccessful attempt at learning to draft.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

reprint boomerang

years ago i played the jankiest u/r land destruction/magnivore deck where my best play was t1 land, opponent plays land, then on my turn i boomerang their land. just thinking about it makes me smile

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Zero VGS posted:

TBF the alt art for order of midnight owns

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Zero VGS posted:

I mean, if those five cosmetics were in the store for 2500 gold (or really, gold at all) that would be perfectly fine.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah Brazen Borrower is a 4 of in literally every deck I want to play and you only have to pay once it’s fine.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Doltos posted:

TBF the alt art for order of midnight owns

They're actually all significant improvements imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

zoux posted:

They're actually all significant improvements imo