Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Welcome to Dominions 5: the game that is the most sagatious of sagas, the most epic (in the time sense) of epics (in the story sense), and the most confusing of confucianisms.

This time we're doing something a bit different with a game full of modded nations! You may have heard that one of the strengths of Dominions 5 is how easy it is for anybody to make a mod and this is a showcase of 10 of them. The downside of dominions modding is how easy it is for anybody to make a mod. Balance? Tone? Theme? All entirely gone. I am playing the clown nation Kirkostaculis made by goon Mu and the other nations in the game are: praying mantises, trolls, frost ghosts, feet, rocks, djinn, Brits, ants, and illusions. We'll see them in more detail later.

There have been a good number of Dominions 5 LPs (including two vanilla ones ongoing) so I won't retread too much ground here. In short it's a strategy game almost like Civilisation, if Civilisation was written by two Swedish teachers in their spare time over 15 years who threw every myth, religion, and quasi folktale in and made them all duke it out in an arena. Faux Vishna wrestling with Faux Queen Titania and a thousand skeletons while Faux Bat-Jesus sacrifices hundreds of virgins in a ritual which steals the sun.

Two massively geared lategame super experience super powerful thugs square off.

Rain down meteors to obliterate your foes. These elite troops are blessed to allow their friends to take some of the damage for them but that works less well vs 999 damage rocks.

Previous LPs:
- Newbad
- Therodos
- Ramc's

Games thread

Discord

Please, no game spoilers in the thread and I'll be introducing the other nations as I meet them. The game is still ongoing and 50 turns in at the time of writing. Apart from the nation mods, there's also SILT which nerfs immortal summons and Pretenders Enhanced, which adds a bunch of new ones and gives recuperation to most vanilla ones so they don't just get crippled to poo poo over the course of the game.

Table Of Contents
Turn 1
Turn 2
Turn 3
Nation Overview: Fennoscandia
Turn 4
Turn 5
Turn 6
Nation Overview: Anglia
Turn 7
Nation Overview: U, part 1 (guest post by Xanrick)
Nation Overview: Eljudnir
Turn 8
Nation Overview: Karanaac
Turn 9
Turn 10
Turn 11
Turn 12
Turn 13
Turn 14
Nation Overview: Myrmecos
Turn 15
Nation Overview: EA Ssaon'raha
Turn 16
Turn 17
Turn 18
Turn 19
Turn 20
Turn 21
Turn 22
Turn 23
Turn 24
Turn 25
Turn 26
Turn 27
Turn 28
Turn 29
Turn 30
Turn 31
Turn 32
Jokes Not Told: Shiny Red Nose
Turn 33
Turn 34
Turn 35
Turn 36
Nation Overview: U, part 2 (guest post by Xanrick)
Turn 37
Turn 38
Turn 39
Turn 40
Turn 41
Turn 42
Turn 43
Turn 44
Jokes Not Told: Gigantic Clown Head
Turn 45
Turn 46
Turn 47
Turn 48
Turn 49
Turn 50
Turn 51
Turn 52
Turn 53
Turn 54
Turn 55
Jokes Not Told: Master of Seltzer
Jokes Not Told: Master of Custard
Turn 56
Turn 57
Turn 58
Turn 59
Turn 60
Turn 61
Turn 62
Turn 63
Turn 64
Turn 65
Turn 66
Turn 67
Turn 68
Turn 69
Turn 70
Turn 71
Turn 72
Turn 73
Turn 74
Turn 75 and wrapup
Jokes Not Told: Clown Sublime and Joke Book

Fan art

BaronOhShi posted:

I can't honk the poo poo out of you without getting closer.

Ramc posted:

Pinned discord images has you covered it seems

Arcvasti posted:

Imagine being a militiaman, proud to be defending your home against these false gods who want to sacrifice your daughters and feed all dissenters to wolves. "I can do this", you think, as you recall the long minutes spent drilling with your comrades in the traditional militia maneuvers of spear poking and routing. You're still a bit nervous of course, you've heard all sorts of grisly rumours about the forces stirring anew in the world. Dwarves leading herds of stoneskinned cats into battle to eviscerate their opponents, ever-smiling plant creatures who annihilate whole armies with solar-powered beams and hordes of rotting undead slavouring for blood. Thankfully, you're not up against any of them today. Instead, your foe is... large, bright and humanoid. You and your comrades stand fast, even in the face of their strange honking cries and baffling pre-battle calisthenics. Then, as you grit your teeth and ground the butt of your spear against the enemy charge, a pie thrown with the force of a small avalanche splats into you and reduces your whole upper body to a squishy mess of blood and delicious cream.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Turn 1:

In the beginning there was chaos, now the wheel has turned once again. I don't think I've ever actually read these messages even though I've seen them probably a hundred times. Note also the map in the background which is not the usual fare.

We are the nation of Kirkostaculis, an ancient society of noble clowns.

The clowns are led by the peerless pretender Joaquin Phoenix's Oscar

It starts imprisoned so it won't be available until about year 3 in game, so until then we'll have to rely only on its non-incarnate blesses which is all of them. Joaquin Phoenix's Oscar makes my clown troops absolute powerhouses dealing massive amounts of damage, with a good amount of HP and ability to survive magical retribution.

I'll be explaining the units as I recruit them because there's too many to show all at once. To explain my pretender choice let's look at my first recruit: the Enormous Clown.

They, like all clowns, have chaos power so will get stronger in turmoil dominion and weaker in order. They have 20 strength base, but with +3 strength from larger, +4 from the blood bless, and +3 from chaos power they can get to 30 strength even before unit experience. Their weapons are: a kick which deals double damage to enemies that are smaller than the clown, and a rubber hose which has 2 attacks and deals untyped damage so is hard to resist. Also a 20+ damage pie that will totally one shot a human but is generally only used when closing in.

They are also cap only, meaning I will only be able to get between 4-7 of them a turn and I will absolutely be getting the maximum number of them every turn I can. Sadly this turn I can only afford 2.

The rest of my bless is to help keep them relevant in the late game with fire and magic resistances, magic weapons, and low light vision. Additionally my bless was tailored to deal with a certain other nation that's pretty hard to fight, but we'll get to them later. They're a solid nation that can stonewall you if you haven't prepared or are having a rocky start.

My mage recruit this turn is a Thirteenth Clown:

These guys are good mages with the random path being one of fire/water/astral. Not a great leader but not too expensive gold-wise. Costing 3 commander points when I only get 2 per turn is a bit painful and they're also cap only at least until later on. The main reason I'm choosing this guy for my expansion armies is the clown national spell Coordinate Slapstick Display which gives a good amount of invulnerability in a decent area. Without it you tend to take too much attrition when expanding even with the insanely killy enormous clowns. With it however I have very strong expansion. There are plenty other national spells but we won't see them for a bit.

Finally we prophet our starting commander, So Intense In His Cuckoo Hostility. I won't spend too much time on these guys because they're not clowns and we will basically never recruit any more of them unless we really need some leadership.

Let's end the turn having a quick look around us:

Not a bad start at all! We're on the bottom edge of the map and have some nice room to maneuver around. There's four thrones (north, west, underwater, caves) that could be within easy reach (although we don't have any underwater capacity) and we're also 2 provinces away from a small candle. These are important because they connect to large candles spaced outside the map proper to allow fast movement across different corners of the map. Unlike the other games you may have seen, this map is not wraparound at all.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 17, 2021

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

gonadic io posted:

Also a 20+ damage pie that will totally one shot a human but is generally only used when closing in.

Imagine being a militiaman, proud to be defending your home against these false gods who want to sacrifice your daughters and feed all dissenters to wolves. "I can do this", you think, as you recall the long minutes spent drilling with your comrades in the traditional militia maneuvers of spear poking and routing. You're still a bit nervous of course, you've heard all sorts of grisly rumours about the forces stirring anew in the world. Dwarves leading herds of stoneskinned cats into battle to eviscerate their opponents, ever-smiling plant creatures who annihilate whole armies with solar-powered beams and hordes of rotting undead slavouring for blood. Thankfully, you're not up against any of them today. Instead, your foe is... large, bright and humanoid. You and your comrades stand fast, even in the face of their strange honking cries and baffling pre-battle calisthenics. Then, as you grit your teeth and ground the butt of your spear against the enemy charge, a pie thrown with the force of a small avalanche splats into you and reduces your whole upper body to a squishy mess of blood and delicious cream.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I had heard the stories, but never thought I'd witness the glorious madness of Kirkostaculis.

Arcvasti posted:

Everyone knows that the best defense against clowns is a tangelo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgGmQZn77Uw

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Arcvasti posted:

:five:

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

I thought the thread tile was a joke.
I wasn't disappointed.

now I'm wondering if there's a way to actually get a sad clown to join the army

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

I can't believe it's an LP about clowns.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
we do not speak of tragic clowns

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I adore that the clowns are written in the exact same style as normal Dominions fluff.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Mu but in discord posted:

Galgarr Armourmaster Soldierking: I have perfected my Ultrono-Armour, and unlocked the powers of the Barrier Gems, becoming invulnerable to the three forms of physical attack. Neither blunt weapons, nor slashing weapons, nor piercing weapons wi--

(a big clown slaps galgarr with a rubber hose)

Galgarr Armourmaster Soldierking: what the gently caress. what teh gently caress was that. who the gently caress did that.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Night10194 posted:

I adore that the clowns are written in the exact same style as normal Dominions fluff.

Every single piece of text in the clown mod is wonderful and I urge everybody to read them. Some of the other mods, not so much.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Hey, man! Spoilers!

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler

gonadic io posted:

I am playing the clown nation Kirkostaculis made by goon Mu and the other nations in the game are: praying mantises, trolls, frost ghosts, feet, rocks, djinn, Brits, ants, and illusions.

:munch:

Edit: If the foot nation is what I think it is, I hope you'll show off the unit descriptions.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Now this is the good stuff

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Clowns.dm? Fill my veins with this poo poo.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
This posse is insane, clown

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Turn 2
Time for the traditional turn 2 ritual: picking apart prophet names. This also gives us a chance to peek at what each of the other nations and their starting commanders are like, or at least most of them.

If you need a refresher on which blesses are which then ramc's LP had excellent guides:

We have:

quote:

A proclamation from Fennoscandia!
traditional swedish rotten fish the Finnaithae Chieftain shall hereby be known as the prophet of drinking vodka in a sauna, the Pillar that is Purity, God of Mists, Lord of Air, the Unmoving Master.
Not a bad start, Fennoscandia are the norse/troll nation with heavy themes of nature and death. Their titles suggest that their god has air, water, and earth magic. Their scales are heavy order and decent dominion strength. Not really sure what they've gone for, it might just be some resistances or it might be something crazy with thunder weapons + quickness. Their trolls aren't sacred, only their cap only humans so I probably wouldn't go wild with them myself.

Their starting prophet is just one of their starting humans:

quote:

A proclamation from Ssaon'raha!
Joemama the Hai'khekion'rah shall hereby be known as the prophet of Jtzheka'ral, Princess of Spontaneity, the Invincible and Ever-triumphant.
The Ssaon'raha are the nation of praying mantises where it looks like the modder really got carried away coming up with names. They have fire and air magic and a lot of national buffs to make their mages into pretty scary flying thugs.
Their titles don't give much information only a female pretender with turmoil.

quote:

A proclamation from Anglia!
Lord Mountbatten the Redcoat Officer shall hereby be known as the prophet of Rampant Pedophilia, Master of Order, King of Horses, God of Vegetation.
I'm just not going to touch this one. Mid dominion strength, max order, max growth, and nature magic. Anglia themselves are pre-WW1 Britain with a very heavy ranged focus and recruit anywhere sacred riflemen. Heavy air magic but also a smattering of most paths.
Before the game they were talking about the barkskin bless as a way to turn mediumly armoured humans into heavily armoured humans and it sounds like they have pretty decent scales otherwise. Thunder weapons is great on ranged sacreds since the stun helps prevent enemies from moving into range but barkskin AND thunder weapons AND those scales would be pretty pricey.

quote:

A proclamation from Myrmecos!
sneaky ant what spreads heresy the Myrmecosa Scout shall hereby be known as the prophet of ants in your pants do the dance, the Most High, Princess of Ostentatious Ornament.
The titles say only order 3 and production 3, i.e. heavy scales. This is Kitfox, a player known for being very passive and favouring troop heavy strategies. Also for putting 99 defense into every province. I suppose the prophet name is nice and literal. Ants have nice troops including some very tough cap-only sacreds and mostly astral/earth magic.

quote:

A proclamation from Karanaac!
A large fellow the Wise Figure shall hereby be known as the prophet of burning man, Master of Fires of the Earth, King of Tremors, the Vessel of Might, King of the Stony Ground.
As foreshadowed, Karanaac are the bogeyman of mods games (at least until the pokemon nations came along) and I won the previous one with them. They are sentient immobile rocks that have to teleport everywhere but are very good at it. Until mid-late game they mostly focus on sitting in battle and not dying since they don't get any attacks. In my game I took resistances (specifically the earth bless for fire and shock resistance) and fire shield on them which 1) makes them good at not dying, and 2) makes not dying pretty effective against most troops who incinerate themselves punching a fiery rock.
I'm less worried about them since I specifically gave my troops fire resistance to beat the fire shield, lots of strength to punch through the rock protection, and magic resistance/weapons to bypass sneaky astral buffs. Honestly I hope I'm near them because they have a slow start and I'm pretty confident I could walk all over them early.
The titles here inform us of a fire and earth pretender, as well as a little turmoil. Turmoil is interesting because it reduces income and Karanaac needs a lot of gold to buy its tough and powerful mages. I would think that they must have an awake expensive pretender or have gone heavier than normal on the bless. Karanaac itself has earth/nature/astral mages with a bit of death and they can field very powerful communions once they've researched some decent spells.

Since, as mentioned, Karanaac is a nation mostly of immobile rocks they don't start with a scout but instead with an immobile rock.

quote:

A proclamation from Eljudnir!
Stay Out of the Basement the Herald shall hereby be known as the prophet of Welcome to Dead House, King of Kings, Guardian of the Dead, the Burning Soul, the Everburning One.
Ejuldnir are the cold ghosts that all have fire vulnerability and little in the way of armour. To make up for that however their melee attacks are powerful and often lifedraining. Eldjunir spread cold and death meaning you really don't want to be next to them, and most of their units get more powerful in cold and death dominion. Cold power and death power on Ejuldner's units stack giving massive +6 boosts to most stats and they're probably the scariest troops to fight against with my giant clowns since the attack/defense differential in the right scales really makes a big difference. I really really hope Edjulnir are not close.
Their titles show strong death magic, and fire. I can only assume they've taken a decent amount of fire resistance but the death could be a few things - decay weapons, undead regeneration, lots of undying for free extra HP on undead troops spring to mind. Maybe even something really spicy like reanimators or fear!

quote:

A proclamation from Chasos!
Albert the Black Knight the Chasos Mounted Legate shall hereby be known as the prophet of Welcome to the Dead House, Queen of Illusion and Masquerade, Mistress of the Pole Star.
Welcome to the Dead House? Didn't we already see this pretender? They've propheted a perfectly normal black knight and probably have just a lot of heavily armoured troops just like vanilla Ulm.
No wait, that's right it's the ILLUSION nation. Massive amounts of air and astral with a very heavy focus on phantasms and illusions. Their titles are air and strong astral. Since their phantasms have only 1 hp and mostly rely on not getting hit, I would assume they've taken luck or twist fate which help prevent that fatal blow. Not sure what the air is, it could be shock resistances to protect from the shock waves of their own thunderstrikes, or thunder weapons to give their sacred illusions some serious offense? None of the other air blesses seem likely to me.

quote:

A proclamation from U!
Heraclitean Statics the Sciapod Chieftain shall hereby be known as the prophet of Oxymoronics, Seducer of Life, Master of Inventions, King of Forgiving.
U is the nation that I previously described as just feet but that's not quite accurate. Sometimes they also have legs, torsos, and arms and not always the number of those that you might expect. They never have heads but sometimes there are faces. Seriously, we'll just have to see them. They can cast spells from all types of magic but also in a very weird way.
The titles here show us blood and earth magic. Honestly I have absolutely no idea what this could be, U can suit a lot of different strategies depending on which units you focus on.

quote:

A proclamation from Kirkostaculis!
so intense in his cuckoo hostility the Lion Tamer shall hereby be known as the prophet of Joaquin Phoenix's Oscar, Lord of Madness, Prince of the Rock, Gardener of Happiness, Eater of Filth.
Finally, this is us! I don't know if anybody else looked up the titles like this but ours show blood, astral, earth, and nature magic with luck and turmoil scales. Maybe it's just because I know my own bless but they seem way more revealing than anybody else's. I suppose that blood surge and regeneration would be another valid blood/nature bless but either way it's obvious that I've gone for a pretty heavy bless.

Right, as for my actual turn there's not a massive amount to say.
My scout, or mime rather, is heading east since that area is a bit tighter and I'd like to secure some chokepoints (and prepare for neighbours) asap. Mimes, of course, start with the mute affliction which halves their magic skills. Normally this doesn't matter but let's just say that in a test game I found out the hard way that you shouldn't make one your prophet.

Looking around there's a lizard province, Greevil's Bog, across a mountain from my cap which is an extremely nice source of nature/astral mages but they can be a bit annoying to expand into. The province my prophet and starting army is going to take though is Plains of the Blood Turkey which somehow has an very strong 144 income. This is pretty important because with my scales and expensive large adult sons I'm going to be hurting for gold most of the game. There's a lot of troops there but these amphibious independents are notoriously poor quality so while I'm a bit worried I take the gamble. I hope it goes well!

My expansion force is still not ready due to the 3 commander point mages I've previously mentioned. Since you get 2 commander points per turn I could queue up another mage this turn with the leftover point but I don't have the money so all my clown mages are effectively 4 commander points for now. I can afford however 3 more giant clowns giving me a total of 5 next turn which is an effective force of expanders.

I still have absolutely no research. Also I forgot to mention it last turn but the first mercenaries were the Ship Wreckers AKA the best early game mercenaries and they're always heavily contested. Since I absolutely could not afford to place a bid on them myself I settled for pointing them out in chat in hopes of driving the price up and they went to Ejludnor in the end.

All in all I'm pretty happy with this start! Who do people think has the best prophet/pretender name combo? I like Fenno's myself.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 17, 2021

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
The Plains of the Blood Turkey are so rich because they've been fertilized with pretender tears and astral pearls in equal measure, clearly.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Added to the OP!

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Turn 3

gonadic io posted:

There's a lot of troops there but these amphibious independents are notoriously poor quality so while I'm a bit worried I take the gamble. I hope it goes well!

Let's watch as I lose my starting army and am put out of the game instantly!

Here's my brave boys, 20 Unicyclists

and 20 jugglers

Note their universally low protection and this is not the force that will have the invulnerability buff. Thanks to my awesome scripting the unicyclists charge far ahead of the jugglers and fight the enemy force without backup

and the enemy force then routes instantly and I take zero casualties. Those amphibian independent troops are bad.

Maxing out my luck scales is already paying off as I get my first hero this turn! This is a 6% chance per turn with luck 3 I believe. The Emerald Impaler the World Champion is a fantastic leader providing a plus SEVEN bonus to morale to units under him, and gets awe and a pretty big 19 defense. Even more interestingly he starts with a heroic ability, in this case strength, but isn't allowed into the hall of fame proper. The committee is biased against professional jousting and keeps saying that it's not a real sport.

In terms of movement, the starting expansion force is moving further east to try and secure more land and the Emerald Impaler is joining them. Not one of them will route and risk looking weak in front of him. My clown force is moving onto the farmland to the east, scripted to buff with both bless and invulnerability. By far the weakest part of this force is Candy the clown leading them as he's much more fragile than the size 5 clowns alongside him. As such he's just tucked right into the corner and they're positioned to try and minimise the chance that somebody will zoom past and take him out.

In terms of recruitment my other scales are also coming into effect which means I can recruit another Thirteenth Clown and a grand total of one (1) giant clown. One! Part of why I'm going for the farm province instead of the lizards is that I just absolutely need the cash ASAP. The lizard province will only start producing nature mages after I get a lab and temple up so that's a further away concern.

Looking at the world map, what's this?

That's the flag of Fennoscandia the norse/troll nation. I'll do a followup post with more details but their scariest troops are limited recruitment so I'm willing to risk a bump with them at this stage. They seem like an okay nation to have as a neighbour, certainly their dominion doesn't spread poo poo. Their trolls can be a bit scary but I can get a lot more giant clowns than they have trolls at this stage and I'm not at all worried about their human troops. Later on they get access to the classic combo of Foul Vapours and Horde of Skeletons which is going to be very annoying to fight. I am not planning to rush them or anything but I start giving serious thought to them being my first war - if I can kill them before the combo gets online it'll be a lot easier.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 4, 2019

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Unicyclist lore is incredible.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Ramc posted:

Unicyclist lore is incredible.

i still think it's gone downhill since the four pantokrators of the apocalypse were banished

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Fennoscandia

At first glance Fennoscandia looks like a cool troll nation but actually you don't get many trolls. Instead you get about 30 types of human with slightly different coloured shields.
The trolls are great - first you have the Tussar who is cap only and also limited to 3 per month but is an absolute house. I love these guys as they hit so hard, are very tough, and have built-in regeneration. If they were sacred they'd be incredible but sadly as is they're an expansion boost and don't seem that relevant otherwise. They hold buffs pretty nicely later on though.

The other troll troops that you can get are 3 per month from any forest. Only medium armour but they don't need a fort and if you can get a clutch of forests you can build pretty nice mid-game forces with these guys.

The other troops are all instantly forgettable humans. Even their sacreds are cap only and totally uninteresting. These guys just don't cut it in a mods game.

All the non sacreds are just nearly 10 gold for size 2 and roughly 10 in every stat. Some have sailing, some have bows, and some even have berserk 2 - those guys do at least hit pretty hard. They're like vanilla Chud Warriors but without the coolest part.

Now mages are where things start to get interesting! Trollfolk Shaman are a nice start and don't require a fort, just a forest. D1N1 with E/D/N as well as built-in regen 10 on 26 hit points make them decently able to make nuisances out of themselves. The D2 ones can skelespam of course, and the others can thug reasonably well with personal regen, the earth buffs, skeletal body etc. The N2 ones are potential howl casters. At 150 gold for 11 research they're decent value too.

Like about 50% of mod nations they get disease healers which is normally a very rare trait in vanilla. The Tietäjät are very nice cheap mages with N1W1 and E/N/W. These will be your main casters of foul vapours even if they are disappointingly human otherwise. Hitting enemy thugs with surprise frozen heart spam works the first time every time since nobody bothers to put cold resistance on their thugs. No spoilers, but I know I won't!

There's also a D1 magepriest for 80 gold and 7 RP which would be forgettable except that it can cast some of the national spells, has spellsinger, and is the best gold to research cost mage we have.

Getting into the pricier (but still not cap only) categories you have the Naejttie with W2D1 and 1.1xAWDN. These guys seem great to me since they're sacred spellsingers meaning the D2 ones can skelespam like nobody's business. The air ones seem like great thugs and the nature ones can also stink the place up with vapours. Since they're old and expensive I probably wouldn't recruit infinity of these but it's certainly nice to have a few around at all times. The previously mentioned disease healers also make old age much easier to deal with.

Your cap-only slow-to-recruit mages are suitably powerful with D2N2 and 2.1xAWDN. They're also sacred spellsingers but not even old so once I could afford it I would be recruiting them every turn I could. They're not even that pricey as mages go, you're going to see a lot of several hundred gold mages from other mods.

They can do all of the tricks previously mentioned but since they're holy 2 mages they also get access to Fenno's national holy spell Bless Ancestors which, like Divine Blessing, applies your bless to all your sacred units on the battlefield at once. It costs zero fatigue and is supposed to only affect undead units but, uh, actually just affects all sacreds and so is a strict upgrade to regular divine blessing.

Now you might ask, why would Fenno want to bless undead units when we haven't seen any? Well they get access to the vanilla spell Call Ancestor which summons lovely little ghosts. The trick to them is that they're sacred and you can actually summon quite a lot of them in battle. Later on they also get Wrath of the Ancestors where each D1 mage can summon twenty lovely ghosts for 100 (50 while singing) fatigue. This is at conjuration 7 but might be worth beelining for especially if your bless is something funny like death explosion or thunder weapons.

Another cool national spell is Summon Stallo at conjuration 4 which summons a Stallo, who is a bigger troll. Not actually that remarkable but it costs only 3 nature gems and requires a level 2 nature mage. You can easily crank out a lot of these guys who get a swallow attack and a 40 damage club. They seem pretty scary with some amount of human (or ghost) chaff to prevent them from taking too many hits.

Finally at conjuration 6 Fenno also get a rather nasty remote attack spell for only 5 death gems and a level 4 death caster you can send ethereal, chill aura, life drainers to attack an enemy commander that turn. They don't stick around but could be quite nasty if you weren't a clown with magic weapons and a big ol' boot.

Fennoscandia don't get any national items at all which is always the sign of a subpar mod nation. In short they have powerful mages with powerful path combinations but never get enough trolls. They can probably do pretty well with an all-mage strategy with a bless of poison resistance and reinvigoration using human troops only as needed. They're probably quite good in a vanilla context but compared to some of the other modded nations don't really hold up in my opinion. This early in the game my ultra-blessed giant clowns will be able to walk all over Fennoscandia so I'm not at all worried about applying pressure to them early.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 6, 2019

Ramc
May 4, 2008

"Hitting enemy thugs with surprise frozen heart spam works the first time every time since nobody bothers to put cold resistance on their thugs."

Frost Brands, the go-to weapon for thugging, have cold res +5. Also Golems, a premier thug, can't be affected by frozen heart because they are inanimate and thus no heart to freeze.

(This will only blunt frozen heart, admittedly)

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
Hey, finally! I was sorry to have to drop out of this one due to my move but great to see the LP. Can't wait for more updates.

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015
Always wanted to see these crazy mod nations in action, excited to see it go down in flames in typical Dominions fashion.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

what the gently caress is going on here

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Send in the clowns

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

V. Illych L. posted:

Slaan posted:

Send in the clowns

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

V. Illych L. posted:

THE PIES MUST FLOW

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Turn 4

Iram's prophet declaration finally arrived!

quote:

A proclamation from Iram!

Zaban the Emir shall hereby be known as the prophet of A Firm Queen, the Fortifier, Princess of the Soil, Patron of Thieves.

Iram are a mostly human nation themed after Arabian desert nomads. They have strong air and fire magic as well as lots of jinni summons. They seem like a cool nation but like Fennoscandia are included in Dominions Enhanced which has a lower power level than these more grab-bag mods games. I'm not sure why Iram waited until turn 4 to prophet since it's just a regular commander - usually anybody who waits this long does it to prophet one of the more powerful slow-to-recruit mages.

As for our two expansion forces, neither took any losses at all!
The unicyclists in Iseenu Beforest once again proved their high defense and long weapons are better than armour:

We did not bump with Fennoscandia unfortunately, I would have liked to potentially take out one of their expansion forces.

The clown fight in Jessinka's Oasis started off in a classic way, with 4 out of 5 of the clowns being hit by the invulnerability buff even though there was more than enough area to go around:

Luckily I had considered this during testing and make sure that the buff got cast twice.

The same thing happened with the two casts of blessing, with the first one hitting only half the guys but the second getting them all.

The clowns crashed into the lines of melee troops and it was a total massacre, this clown instantly killed two militia in a single round. Thirty eight damage!

Some troops passed by the clowns and started heading towards the mage who would not stand up in the same way. This could actually have been bad but luckily the losses from the rest of their squad caused them to turn around to flee while only half way towards their target.

So we won with zero casualties and probably close to zero damage taken. Giant clowns with this bless are one of the scariest units in the game this early. As I said, only Edjuldnir can effectively fight them during the expansion phase.

Our plans for this turn are short: we move our clown force out to the west into Saquenay's Vista and our unicyclist/juggler force to take the candle province Bloax Laboratories to the east. I'll give a full overview of the candle system when it becomes relevant but suffice to say that it's an important choke point to hold.
Our scout (mime) has found Fennoscandia's cap which is looks closer than it actually is - 4 moves away is reasonably average in dominions. I'm still hoping for a bump with Fennoscandia's expansion forces as they could try for Bloax Laboratories this turn too.
No sign of any other nations or even their dominion.
Thanks to the farm province and the fact that we are still recruiting the thirteenth clown from before we are flush with cash this turn so I recruit 4 enormous clowns to finish off the expansion force and actually place a bid on the fish-people mercenaries. Apart from Karanaac, no other nation in this game has good amphibian troops so if I could start grabbing underwater provinces they'd be a real nice source of income.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 8, 2019

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Of course the spell is called Coordinate Slapstick Display.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

What is with this province names on this map though

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
drat those are some big clowns

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Ramc posted:

What is with this province names on this map though

Does this answer your question?

Ramc
May 4, 2008

gonadic io posted:

Does this answer your question?

am i famous enough to have a province

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Needs a Kanga-Rat Murder Society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Ramc posted:

am i famous enough to have a province

Sorry, no. Here's all the names: https://pastebin.com/yY7YxNhU

There is "Lilli Heights", "Jb's Jaunt", and "Baalz' Haunt" though.