Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Not quite the same as most examples, but the original run of MST3K always treated Lord of the Rings as something hideously dorky and only liked by embarrassing nerds.

A few more Hobbit movies and it will come back around to being true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Not quite the same as most examples, but the original run of MST3K always treated Lord of the Rings as something hideously dorky and only liked by embarrassing nerds.

And it turns out they were right the whole time!

Tom Scharpling made this point on The Best Show a long time ago. Liking Harry Potter and Star Wars and LotR, some of the most profitable properties of all time, is not nerdy. Like more than half the planet likes those things.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I’ve been watching old Supernatural for Halloween stuff and while most of Season 2 is surprisingly good, the werewolf episode is frankly super gross. The main non-Winchester character in the episode is Madison, someone so completely and utterly devoid of agency that she could have been played by a fleshlight with a martyrdom fetish.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

(Parks & Rec opens with Leslie meeting Joe Biden, Tom referencing R Kelly lyrics, episode written by Harris Wittels)

Huh.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hyrax Attack! posted:

(Parks & Rec opens with Leslie meeting Joe Biden, Tom referencing R Kelly lyrics, episode written by Harris Wittels)

Huh.

What’s wrong with Harris Wittels?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Henchman of Santa posted:

What’s wrong with Harris Wittels?

Hes dead and thats the same thing as being problematic

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

You know whose also dead?

Yeah that's right, Adolf Hitler!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FreudianSlippers posted:

You know whose also dead?

Yeah that's right, Adolf Hitler!

But to be fair, he was also the guy who killed Adolf Hitler.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
dead people don't exist, everyone is alive

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If he'd done it sooner, he wouldn't have had to have done.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

When the best thing you've ever done is also the last thing you do...you're usually a hero or martyr.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
It's certainly true that Harris Wittels isn't aging well.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Also hes a celebrity and celebrities dream about owning their own restaurant even more than regular people do.

This is true. To bring up another TV show example, when The Larry Sanders Show kept it going with Hank's Look-Around Cafe.

I'm tempted to rewatch the series because that plot-line was genius. It's so perfectly Hank Kingsley.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

I kinda like new South Park episodes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF9CFgJ9Smk

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Watching the Daria summer special, and some bits have aged all too well. Mr O'Neil's completely useless brand of caring is almost infuriating given how that basically became omnipresent for far too long.

A lot of subtext is a lot more clear in retrospect; that Quinn's a lot smarter than she lets on, and puts way more effort into her outfits (at least in theory) than the rest of the Fashion Club, but it's not like it matters to anyone but themselves. And has an interest in the more fun parts of history.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of subtext is a lot more clear in retrospect; that Quinn's a lot smarter than she lets on
Daria's also more conventionally attractive than she lets on, but doesn't want that kind of attention.

Both of the siblings make deliberate choices to minimize aspects of themselves. Quinn figures she's young and attractive and can skate by on social standing, but also doesn't want to be boxed in as a nerd or smart girl despite the chops to do so. Daria doesn't want to be objectified and she rails against everything so that people engage her intellectually first and foremost.

The Morgendorfer women are pretty interesting slices of 90s womanhood, each equally valid.

But really I think it's Jane that's probably the most complete or self-actualized character.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Pretty much all the characters in Daria are more than they first appear. There's a lot of depth to them that reveals itself over time while still allowing them to serve as simple caricatures of particular stereotypes. It's an incredibly good show.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
True. I think I've spoken to this in the thread before, but the cynical ennui didn't age well at all. Watched it with someone younger a while back and they were just mystified at how an upper-class suburbanite with a home and professional parents could be so unhappy.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

FilthyImp posted:

True. I think I've spoken to this in the thread before, but the cynical ennui didn't age well at all. Watched it with someone younger a while back and they were just mystified at how an upper-class suburbanite with a home and professional parents could be so unhappy.

Could it perhaps be because, shockingly, the trappings of wealth accrued without real purpose cannot bring happiness to all people? Was that perhaps a recurring theme and part of the shows critique of empty capitalism? poo poo, the hippy episode even looked at that from the other side.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Daria was about the hollowness of teetering on the brink, while we’re now well over the edge and careening into the pit. I can understand confusion from people who never knew the end of history era.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hearing Daria's dad exclaim he was mortgaged to his eyeballs was my first realization that you can look well off and not be well off. Which was a revelation to someone who neither looked well off or was well off.

Kind of like that moment in a child's life where they realize they're poor, except it was me realizing others were poor.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

Hearing Daria's dad exclaim he was mortgaged to his eyeballs was my first realization that you can look well off and not be well off. Which was a revelation to someone who neither looked well off or was well off.

Kind of like that moment in a child's life where they realize they're poor, except it was me realizing others were poor.

I have intense love and devotion for my mom who kept us fed and clothed and very happy as kids and never held us back despite being a single mother on government disability. Like I remember having a discussion where it was like "oh we're under the poverty line and we're poor? wow it uh sure doesn't feel like that." My strongest memories of being poor are just two pieces of media really driving home poverty and feeling that super hard, although I'd never had the experience of eating cold mac and cheese for a week or not being able to afford new shoes at Christmas.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

Pretty much all the characters in Daria are more than they first appear. There's a lot of depth to them that reveals itself over time while still allowing them to serve as simple caricatures of particular stereotypes. It's an incredibly good show.

The primary point of the show was really that appearance isn't everything. It was a direct critique of the appearance-obsessed narcissism of contemporary American culture. The people who didn't get it didn't see that because they were precisely what the show was criticizing. Most of the characters focused on having the appearance of something specific rather than creating any sort of actual substance. Daria wasn't entirely immune to that but even then she mostly told people right to their faces how stupid they were being.

In the case of Daria's parents they were so obsessed with appearing successful that they worked constantly to the point that their children were actually kind of emotionally neglected. They also borrowed as much as possible to have the nicest things right now. I've been reading a lot about the psychological effects of that sort of thing and how Quinn and Daria behave is really spot on; Quinn became pretty narcissistic while Daria went "fate accepted" and largely withdrew from society. She's massively cynical and has knowledge beyond her years which is not a good sign.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 18:50 on Nov 9, 2019

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
The lunk QB actually being held back was a big surprise, I figured he'd coast on through like in the real life.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Volcott posted:

The lunk QB actually being held back was a big surprise, I figured he'd coast on through like in the real life.

Kevin was like special education levels of not getting school work, even with the sports boost you’re gonna have problems convincing a college to take someone who’s working with a 2nd grade reading ability

He was also (alongside Brittany) kind of a neat inversion of QBs and cheerleaders in high school since they were super sweet and oblivious to the fact that everyone thought they were idiots and mocked them

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I think Kev was only like midtier High School good. Not like built like a Samoan College kid good, so the sports could o ly go so far.

Likely far enough for a car dealership or high school coaching job, really.

And didn't Britney have some kind of rainman skill that came up once? Like she was super good at mechanics or something.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The episodes with Kevin outside of his armour show he's actually kind of scrawny, or at least average at best. Despite his all-round idiocy he's actually a pretty good footballer, and relies more on speed and tactics. The strong implication, especially given how corrupt and greedy the principal is and how an episode establishes the football team performs terribly without him (since Mack, despite being more intelligent, isn't good at making decisions; he's mentioned to be overdrawn on his allowance most of his life and spent his summer working to pay back money he owes his dad) the clear implication is he was held back specifically so the school would get at least one more year with their star QB.

I'm not sure if that's a common thing, but there was an episode of Milo Murphy's Law where the opposing football team consists entirely of students who've been held back for years, and thus are basically angry adults playing against teenagers.

Brittany turned out to be loving terrifying at paintball, and she gets decent grades. More that much like the Fashion Club, being attractive and popular and having a valued extracurricular means she gets a by on a lot of things and rarely has to think, but she's not entirely terrible at it when she's forced to.

Kind of a theme in Daria and other subversive teen media of the era, Heathers comes to mind, is that adults assume teenagers are being sheltered from the realities of life, but they really aren't- they're already being abused and exploited, and adults are deliberately, dangerously oblivious to it.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The Orville, the whole show. Especially the "trans surgery" episode and especially the blue alien rapist episode.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The blue alien rapist is a terrible episode, but the Moclan storyline was pretty good. Especially how it keeps coming up instead of being resolved in one episode like most shows.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
I straight up refused to watch the Orville, but my wife watched a bit of it. I ended up seeing maybe two episodes in passing.

We've watched all of Star Trek TNG, and we're working our way through DS9 now, and she gets really pissed because some of the few 'well, ok, this had a genuinely interesting concept behind it' episodes of the Orville turn out to be idea ripoffs from Trek she hadn't seen yet. Then we were IMDB'ing and figured out that the one good actress on the show was pulled from later DS9 episodes that we hadn't seen yet.

I guess orville pulled a few old trek/sci-fi actors and even a few old trek writers, too. A parody trek should be good, but Mcfarlane is the worst. Fuckin sucks because Galaxy Quest was great (and still holds up) - it could be done.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Not sure if you know this but Mcfarlane is a huge Star Trek fan, so much so that he had a guest spot on Enterprise (maybe two?). I haven't watched Orville but it doesn't surprise me that he's doing his takes on Star Trek episodes since he basically just wanted to make a new Star Trek show anyway.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
If you want a modern optimistic vision of the future, the Orville is the only game in town. Also, the worst Orville episodes are not as bad as Code of Honor or Beverly's Sex Ghost.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Beachcomber posted:

If you want a modern optimistic vision of the future, the Orville is the only game in town. Also, the worst Orville episodes are not as bad as Code of Honor or Beverly's Sex Ghost.

I feel like the really bad TNG episodes are much more palatable, though. Because they kinda just fall into the category of 'weird and dumb', they're much more fun to look back on and laugh at. Whereas bad Orville is kinda just too offensive to hit that note.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I feel like the really bad TNG episodes are much more palatable, though. Because they kinda just fall into the category of 'weird and dumb', they're much more fun to look back on and laugh at. Whereas bad Orville is kinda just too offensive to hit that note.

have you seen Code of Honor

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Alaois posted:

have you seen Code of Honor

My favourite fun fact about Code of Honor is that the lady who wrote it also wrote the cringy badass lady in a super chauvinist society third episode of SG-1

My second favourite fun fact is that the casting director is the one who decided that everyone would be black.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

or that one where troi gets space-pregnated by what turns out to be a godlike entity using her baby area to get into this universe and that’s all I remember about it except a pervasive feeling of :yikes:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The seventh season had some really boring and bad episodes in it. Like the one about the murder that took place during the construction of the enterprise.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There’s a really harsh interview with I think Ronald D Moore where he explains that one day they were trying to write an episode about Geordie’s mom and they realized it was probably time to end the show because who cares about Geordie’s mom?

I don’t think that one is that bad but I only saw it once 15 years ago, so maybe it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I can understand someone’s aversion to Seth McFarland, but the Orville isn’t Family Guy or even Oscar opening song terrible. McFarland’s not even the main character is most of the episodes which helps a lot.