Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Sab669 posted:

I think you have this backwards; when I hear Lena Headey 300 pops into my mind. But yea I don't know quite how big she was pre-GoT. I had no idea who Dinklage was beforehand though.

and Bean didn't stick around long, whereas Moraine is supposed to be more of the focus of WoT-TV. Who knows, though.

I had seen both Dinklage and Headey in some movies, but their roles were so unimportant, so I didn't remember them. But they both made drat fine work in GoT. Then again both Cersei's and Tyrion's roles made it possible for the actors to show their potential, but Moiraine is a much more boring character than either of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I don't think there's anything wrong with people talking about who would be fun to see fill each role. Just because we think one person would be awesome doesn't mean we're all pining away hoping against hope that that's who'll get the role. It's a fun time filler while we wait for the series to come out or roles to be announced. Why spoil the fun with "No big name actors will appear in this?"

Also, just because you're not super familiar with an actor doesn't mean nobody else is. Rosamund Pike might not be Julia Roberts or whatever, but she's not exactly a nobody.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

You realize that HBO doesn't actually have a stable in Santa Fe where they put actors who aren't currently filming for them, right?

Yes thank you for this clarification. I certainly couldn't have meant that HBO and its production teams had spent years developing strong working relationships with several actors who were happy to make time for HBO projects because they were a reliable paycheck.

ChubbyChecker posted:

I had seen both Dinklage and Headey in some movies, but their roles were so unimportant, so I didn't remember them. But they both made drat fine work in GoT. Then again both Cersei's and Tyrion's roles made it possible for the actors to show their potential, but Moiraine is a much more boring character than either of them.

I was aware of Dinklage but couldn't have told you it was Headey in 300 until after GoT put her on my radar.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

ChubbyChecker posted:

yes, nuance equates to boredom, just give us tits and trollocs dammit!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
When do Moiraine POVs start? As early as book 2?

I always thought those did a good job of showing what an impossible situation she was in trying to guide Rand without making him feel controlled.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Atlas Hugged posted:

When do Moiraine POVs start? As early as book 2?

The internet tells me that chapter 53 of EotW is a Moiraine POV. Then there are four in TGH.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The internet tells me that chapter 53 of EotW is a Moiraine POV. Then there are four in TGH.

Oh duh, I just read that. I think it's mostly not a Moiraine POV until the very end bit though, so the only real reveal is that she knows Rand is the Dragon.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Most of the way through Winter's Heart, and I'm really enjoying how Mat only does things because there is no one else to do them. Accidental hero? Unintentional? Unwilling?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Most of the way through Winter's Heart, and I'm really enjoying how Mat only does things because there is no one else to do them. Accidental hero? Unintentional? Unwilling?

Yeah, that's the key to Mat's character, that I'm not sure Sanderson ever fully picked up on. Mat doesn't want to be responsible but when the chips are down he is.

The scenes in Book 5 or so where Mat starts leading the Band during the Seige of Cairhien are some of the best in the book for exactly that reason. It's the Prince Hal fantasy.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 6, 2019

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, that's the key to Mat's character, that I'm not sure Sanderson ever fully picked up on. Mat doesn't want to be responsible but when the chips are down he is.

The scenes in Book 5 or so where Mat starts leading the Band during the Seige of Cairhien are some of the best in the book for exactly that reason. It's the Prince Hal fantasy.

In fairness to Sanderson, Mat was transitioning to doing his unbeatable TV luck + old general knowledge combo on purpose all throughout book 11, which is the last one RJ did alone. I do agree that Sanderson didn't really seem to get Mat, but I think trying to write him at the the tail end of this long-time-coming genuine character development was a big ask.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

aparmenideanmonad posted:

In fairness to Sanderson, Mat was transitioning to doing his unbeatable TV luck + old general knowledge combo on purpose all throughout book 11, which is the last one RJ did alone. I do agree that Sanderson didn't really seem to get Mat, but I think trying to write him at the the tail end of this long-time-coming genuine character development was a big ask.

Where Sanderson did do well was Talmanes. He loving called it with how he basically called Mat out. He was constantly lying to himself about who he was, not wanting to be an authority or responsible one.

But earlier there was the thing where Mat wins a battle just because he was trying to keep his soldiers from getting killed, where an actually irresponsible fellow would have just slunk away.

Jordan did a good job with unreliable narrators. See also Rand and his madness, Elayne and her snobbishness, and Elaida and her... everything.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'm not a noble! That's not how it works!

Actually, that's *exactly* how it works. Marrying one is pretty much the only way of becoming one.

AWKWARD SILENCE.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/WoTonPrime/status/1192124485022863361

Well, GoT didn't get him type cast as a bad guy, at least.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The dark one sends his regards.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Interesting casting there. Tam doesn't have a huge role, so I guess that frees him up to do other stuff and avoids having a pretty prominent GoT cast member front and center throughout the show.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Mat Cauthon posted:

Interesting casting there. Tam doesn't have a huge role, so I guess that frees him up to do other stuff and avoids having a pretty prominent GoT cast member front and center throughout the show.

He's around for like, at least 3/4 of Perrin's arcs though.

Sure, after the kids leave Emond's Field, he's out of Season 1, then he's around for the bulk of TSR with Perrin, then he's around again when Perrin's Two Rivers delegation shows up to Cairhien in 6 and he sticks around all the way through the end.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Story wise, does he do anything especially important other than convincing Rand that he doesn't need to be ice-cold? They could easily just only keep him around for Season 1 and have another character do that :shrug:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Sab669 posted:

Story wise, does he do anything especially important other than convincing Rand that he doesn't need to be ice-cold? They could easily just only keep him around for Season 1 and have another character do that :shrug:

Sure, I mean, same way Sulin and Nandera vanish because Brandon Sanderson forgot about them.

But I would hope that the series runners would do a better job of that.

And this seems to be a Rand-centric view of the side characters? Like they could get rid of Elyas and Hopper because they never meet Rand.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I remember he tags alongside Perrin at later points in the story, I just literally don't remember what he does.

All I'm saying is what with how Hollywood works, it seems like it's probably really hard to say, "Hey so we want you to do Season 1, and then also come back in 6 years for some more?"

GoT combined book characters into single on-screen characters, or removed them entirely - there's no way Amazon won't do the same here.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 6, 2019

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Tam shoulda been tagalong to Rand, how does he manage to be Perrins surrogate father instead? Kinda a weird choice but definitely not one that I would have thought of unless he’s around a lot more in later books I haven’t gotten to.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Invalid Validation posted:

Tam shoulda been tagalong to Rand, how does he manage to be Perrins surrogate father instead? Kinda a weird choice but definitely not one that I would have thought of unless he’s around a lot more in later books I haven’t gotten to.

Rand losing all his surrogate parents and getting completely untethered is part of his character arc though.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
^ exactly. And perrin needs the father figure

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Honestly that's pretty good casting.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

RC Cola posted:

^ exactly. And perrin needs the father figure

Not just a father figure, though. Perrin's arc had a poo poo ton of fighting in it, having someone around like Tam who could justifiably train/lead soldiers and help form an army was pretty important. Tam filled that role perfectly, what with being a blademaster and fairly high ranking in an elite combat unit.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Interesting thing about Tam is, he was the original Rand in Jordans first draft.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I liked how you never really had Tam doing fully sick duels on the front lines, that time for him had passed so he became a leader.

Tam rules

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I liked how you never really had Tam doing fully sick duels on the front lines, that time for him had passed so he became a leader.

Tam rules

Boooo

I want the recut where Tam is the one to finally beat Demandred in a duel.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Interesting thing about Tam is, he was the original Rand in Jordans first draft.

Much more about the death metal outline of the Wheel of Time here: https://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2018/01/the-genesis-of-wheel-of-time.html

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Huh. Mazrim Taim was Demandred all along.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Tam was fully badass in his own right, though not close to Thom. He ran away to go adventuring on his own, learned all the poo poo he needed on the way, fought in at least 4 wars, rose to the 2nd highest rank possible in the elite Illianer Companions, dueled and killed a blademaster, and was awarded an actual power-wrought heron-marked blade (and not a post-Breaking imitation) by the then King of Illian.

Then, like, think about the kind of slaughter the Aiel War had to have been to make this guy go back to the shithole provincial village he came from to take up a life of farming.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 6, 2019

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Huh. Mazrim Taim was Demandred all along.

It is intuitively obvious to the most casual observer.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Can we spoiler poo poo from the last 3 books or whatever? I’m almost halfway done with 14 and would rather not read stuff like that.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Can we spoiler poo poo from the last 3 books or whatever? I’m almost halfway done with 14 and would rather not read stuff like that.

some of the "spoilers" are complete bullshit so don't worry all that much.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I think we're being pretty good about spoilers right now, I can't see anything that's more specific than "super vague and/or misleading" and a lot of this last page is made-up.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It is intuitively obvious to the most casual observer.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Tam was fully badass in his own right, though not close to Thom. He ran away to go adventuring on his own, learned all the poo poo he needed on the way, fought in at least 4 wars, rose to the 2nd highest rank possible in the elite Illianer Companions, dueled and killed a blademaster, and was awarded an actual power-wrought heron-marked blade (and not a post-Breaking imitation) by the then King of Illian.

Then, like, think about the kind of slaughter the Aiel War had to have been to make this guy go back to the shithole provincial village he came from to take up a life of farming.

I dunno he got chumped by a Trolloc

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
wonder if we'll have to have a spoiler free thread and an anything goes thread like with GoT

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Omg Tam could say with a straight face Lord Perrin sends his regards

Make it happen

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Sometimes I think I care about spoilers then I remember I don’t remember poo poo so do what you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Invalid Validation posted:

Rand losing all his surrogate parents and getting completely untethered is part of his character arc though.

It was also Rand's conscious decision to cut all ties to his home as his way of protecting them. He knew if he showed attachment to the Two Rivers that would be used against him (and they would suffer for it) so he pretended he didn't give a poo poo (while quietly asking Perrin to look after it). He loved his home so much that the only thing he could do was pretend it meant nothing.

Tam is the perfect intersection between Rand and Perrin for that to play out