Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Wish it was one of the old Showa or the new Legendary Godzillas. I find Shin Godzilla repulsive aesthetically (he's v. cool don't get me wrong, and I like the movie a lot) and yes I know I'm alone in that, lots of people love the Shinster

Yeah, I’m surprised they’re using the Shin Godzilla. I would have thought they would pick a cuter or more attractive G to general audiences instead of a gross mutant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

hell yes

Cercueil
Sep 21, 2006

Uuuuuughhhh how long does this sale last, cause I just paid rent...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Violator posted:

Yeah, I’m surprised they’re using the Shin Godzilla. I would have thought they would pick a cuter or more attractive G to general audiences instead of a gross mutant.

I dunno, gross mutants have their distinct charm, and it's not like Godzilla is typically cute and cuddly. (well, relatively)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

C. E. Croix posted:

Uuuuuughhhh how long does this sale last, cause I just paid rent...

Until December 1st. Or they sell out.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I dunno, gross mutants have their distinct charm, and it's not like Godzilla is typically cute and cuddly. (well, relatively)

He looks like a cat with resting bitch face, he's loving adorable.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait
https://twitter.com/theyetee/status/1185782790282981377/photo/1

Thanks to this thread, I am now the proud owner of the Hedorah t-shirt. Thanks for posting that!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

And yesterday the Ghidorah one arrived for me

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I still wanna see the hinted Monsterverse version of Hedorah. I'm picturing some ancient giant slug or slime mold that evolved to feed on volcanic ash or something.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

dentist toy box posted:

The classic media dvds from like 2007 had the same line. So it’s a problem with the source.

I'm seeing it as well. It seems strange that it is on all three of these movies instead of just one of them.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/pacota22ma/status/1190834400667172864?s=20

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Why didn't they make this Godzilla anime instead?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Shiroc posted:

I'm seeing it as well. It seems strange that it is on all three of these movies instead of just one of them.

This seems like kind of a big deal? Have they said anything or has anyone asked about it?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Violator posted:

This seems like kind of a big deal? Have they said anything or has anyone asked about it?

Blu-ray.com's review says it is terrible splices in the source material. It is easier to see what it is in the screenshots they have there.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Hello yes give me anime about Dadzilla rather than humans thanks

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Chronojam posted:

And yesterday the Ghidorah one arrived for me

Nice.

Does that mean we meet up in Tokyo now? Flatten it together?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Watching King Kong Vs Godzilla for the first time since I was a child American. Holy poo poo the blackface

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

UmOk posted:

Watching King Kong Vs Godzilla for the first time since I was a child American. Holy poo poo the blackface

There are almost no Kong related movies free of racism

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wasn't Kyle Chandler in the Peter Jackson Kong movie? You'd think he'd have gotten used to giant monsters by the time King of the Monsters came out.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
So, here's something I've been wondering for some time: have their ever been any recent games that succesfully captured the feeling of a kaiju film? I know about games like Rampage and a bunch of Godzilla fighting games on ps2, but it seems like a concept that would work really well on modern hardware. Or, you know, is actually released in the west. Does any of you have any suggestions?

Or, failing that, has there ever been a cool Godzilla mod outside of Minecraft, Skyrim or GTA?

funky not a junkie
Aug 5, 2011

Sobatchja Morda posted:

So, here's something I've been wondering for some time: have their ever been any recent games that succesfully captured the feeling of a kaiju film? I know about games like Rampage and a bunch of Godzilla fighting games on ps2, but it seems like a concept that would work really well on modern hardware. Or, you know, is actually released in the west. Does any of you have any suggestions?

Or, failing that, has there ever been a cool Godzilla mod outside of Minecraft, Skyrim or GTA?

There was that Godzilla game on PS4 a few years ago that looks cool but the gameplay gets extremely repetitive and boring. The thing is that they haven’t seemed to figure out how to translate “big slow lumbering monster” into fun gameplay mechanics so far

Edit: I just remembered the ps2 game “RAD: Robotic Alchemic Drive” and I am fairly certain that’s the ultimate kaiju video game experience and nothing else has come close

funky not a junkie fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 5, 2019

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

When I hacked my SNES Classic, I put Super Godzilla on it and revisited it for the first time since renting it when I was a kid.

Do not revisit Super Godzilla.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

funky not a junkie posted:

There was that Godzilla game on PS4 a few years ago that looks cool but the gameplay gets extremely repetitive and boring. The thing is that they haven’t seemed to figure out how to translate “big slow lumbering monster” into fun gameplay mechanics so far

Edit: I just remembered the ps2 game “RAD: Robotic Alchemic Drive” and I am fairly certain that’s the ultimate kaiju video game experience and nothing else has come close

Movie Monster Game is also pretty good, if repetitive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Movie_Monster_Game

Blast from the past.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Burkion posted:

There are almost no Kong related movies free of racism

I would have liked if they spent less effort painting people black and more on making Kong not the absolute worst costume ever.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
I always found it weird that almost no kaiju-game has managed to get the sense of scale or speed right. They either feel like they're hopped up on amphetamines and filled with helium, or they are lumbering giants that bring the game speed down to sleep inducing levels. Playing with the scale of the maps and using an isometric perspective should be able to fix that, but I don't think it has ever really been done. Then again, giant mechs suffer from the same problems but they translate to games quite well. So I'm not really sure what's up here.

Looking around at mods for other games, there's surprisingly little available. The best I've been able to find is this mod for Saints Row IV, a game which also has a pretty cool Mechagodzilla costume. And MUGEN-projects, because it's MUGEN.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

UmOk posted:

I would have liked if they spent less effort painting people black and more on making Kong not the absolute worst costume ever.

What's sad is that's probably the best they could have done at the time.

Ape suits have never, ever looked great. Even the one in 76 isn't...ideal.

Suits that use fur walk a very fine line at the best of times. Werewolves can get away with it a lot of the time because they're not simians. The closer to humanoid you get, the worse it's going to look.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Timby posted:

When I hacked my SNES Classic, I put Super Godzilla on it and revisited it for the first time since renting it when I was a kid.

Super Godzilla is so bad, even if there is some great spritework

I still say the end is cool for when it goes full DBZ.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Imagine getting this as a kid obsessed with Godzilla and forcing yourself to like it. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR8yKZ-8d1k

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Never understood why nobody tried Dynasty Warriors: Godzilla. It worked ok for Gundam. All you have to do is come up with a slightly smaller generic Kaiju for the human and alien sides.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee on the Gamecube was... not exactly good, but very fun. I like the London stage where you can just throw train cars all day.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

Counterpoint: Revisit Super Godzilla, via the magic of Tie Tuesday's LP.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sobatchja Morda posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0Y3Udr8p0A&hd=1&t=1198s

I may have played this mission a dozen times, just because it was so drat fun punching the poo poo out of a dozen notzillas

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/koroguchi/status/1191694718230384640

I'm guessing there's been a game at some point where you can pit the various Godzilla incarnations against one another?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I feel like to really capture the feel of a kaiju film, strategic management would be just as important as capturing the feel of mass urban destruction.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I would actually like to see a, say, 4v1 asymmetrical game where one person is the kaiju and the other 4 play feuding departments of the response that can only exchange information in extremely inefficient ways.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Phoenix Wright-alike where you shame the UN into giving you time to finish the coagulant.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Vinylshadow posted:

I'm guessing there's been a game at some point where you can pit the various Godzilla incarnations against one another?

Would end up with Godzillas being like Gokus in a Dragon Ball fighting game.

Even Destroy All Monsters Melee has two Godzillas.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Vinylshadow posted:

There's been several, hasn't there?

Like, there's a Dreamcast one that's apparently kind of bad, there's the PS2/Xbox/GC ones, and there's been at least one since on PS3 or PS4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Aren't there three versions of Godzilla in the PS4 one? Although maybe only two of them are playable.