Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

a PSA about staying in a poo poo marriage 'for your kid'

Don't. ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Also the mum is angry at her estranged daughter for not being emotionally effusive and talking at length about other stuff at her aunt's funeral. Of course the daughter is going to be a little terse and/or sad.

But no, mum didn't get her tearful "I love you mum, everything you have ever said was right, I was wrong to DARE to take the Uni course I wanted to do instead of the one you had planned for me." moment, so she picks a fight at her own sisters funeral.

Yes, she is the arsehole. No question.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Also no mention of how the daughter is struggling to find work with her "degree of little use." Fairly safe bet that daughter is doing quite well, and mom loving HATES that.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

child, why aren't you grateful for the upbringing that i provided you? i demand that you grovel at my feet for it, forever

Cirrhosis Johnson
Jan 9, 2014
How’s A aw

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

edit: Whoops double post.

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 2, 2019

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
The lady in that post is going quite hard on how much she sacrificed to give this girl a good education, but is staying away from saying how she is paying for the daughter's college. Leads me to think she isn't. So what the gently caress did she sacrifice?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

rotinaj posted:

The lady in that post is going quite hard on how much she sacrificed to give this girl a good education, but is staying away from saying how she is paying for the daughter's college. Leads me to think she isn't. So what the gently caress did she sacrifice?

THE BEST YEARS OF MY LIFE, YOU UNGRATEFUL DISAPPOINTMENT!!!!!!!!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

"I made sacrifices and you should be grateful!"

It's called being a parent and everyone does it, sweaty, there's nothing special about it. Most people don't get indignant about not being rewarded exactly how they think they're entitled to.

This is a major problem I'm having with my own. She thinks there's specific rules to how our relationship is supposed to work, I'm supposed to act in a specific way and I don't so she resents me and assumes I hate her because I don't do 'what I'm supposed to'. Anything I do that isn't up to her specific standard is an intentional attack against her. Going on a date with my husband to an attraction instead of her means I don't like being around her and intentionally didn't invite her to send that message to her. Anything I do without her is a passive aggressive message that I want to hurt her. If I said that wasn't true, I'm just lying to make her look bad. If she asks me to do something together, it means I don't care about her and I'm only going for my own selfish reasons and not because I enjoy being around her. I just got so tired of never doing anything right so when the huge falling out happened last year, it was honestly a relief.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
And here I thought kids always attend funerals to have tearful happy reunions with their estranged parents.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Picnic Princess posted:

It's called being a parent and everyone does it, sweaty, there's nothing special about it. Most people don't get indignant about not being rewarded exactly how they think they're entitled to.

This is a major problem I'm having with my own. She thinks there's specific rules to how our relationship is supposed to work, I'm supposed to act in a specific way and I don't so she resents me and assumes I hate her because I don't do 'what I'm supposed to'. Anything I do that isn't up to her specific standard is an intentional attack against her. Going on a date with my husband to an attraction instead of her means I don't like being around her and intentionally didn't invite her to send that message to her. Anything I do without her is a passive aggressive message that I want to hurt her. If I said that wasn't true, I'm just lying to make her look bad. If she asks me to do something together, it means I don't care about her and I'm only going for my own selfish reasons and not because I enjoy being around her. I just got so tired of never doing anything right so when the huge falling out happened last year, it was honestly a relief.

It sounds like she's just projecting her own behavior and motivations onto you.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I, I, I, me. I, I, I, me. I, I, I? Me. Me, me, me. I!

Even with the odd notation, I'd recognize the No Visitors At the Nursing Home Blues anywhere.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Picnic Princess posted:

I know you meant sweety but calling them sweaty is really good

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

underage at the vape shop posted:

I know you meant sweety but calling them sweaty is really good

It’s a meme

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
oh?

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

Drag artists develop all the cool new words and uses of old crap words into cool new bitchy words.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Clitch posted:

No Visitors At the Nursing Home Blues

Am I able to edit the title as OP? Because it needs to happen.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

teen witch posted:

Not directly but you can ask a moderator to change it.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

quote:

I just recently found out ED told a person that her dad was abusive and that I watched it happen. When this person asked her to clarify what she meant by “abuse”, she didn’t give a reply but ended up blocking the person on social media instead. It is true there were two physical altercations between husband and ED as a teenager. One time after she slapped him in the face and told him to “F— off” and the other time she was being extremely disrespectful to me and he lost it with her. Both times she was physically pinned down and told she had to apologize before let loose. She claims he was choking her. Though his arm was over her neck, he had her in a controlled restraint in which he is well trained due to his occupation. Not that it was right by any means and he immediately apologized a hundred times over. My husband is the most gentle kind hearted man who would never intentionally do anything to hurt anyone much less his daughter. We had been dealing with so many challenging behaviors already with her and a lot of disrespect and this was an unfortunate result of both of us being extremely worn down. We had a counseling appointment right after the second incident and the counselor spoke to us and daughter separately to assess what had happened. After hearing both sides she did not feel the situation warranted being reported. As a mandated reported her license would have been on the line if she had heard anything from daughter that was suspicious of actual abuse. The counselor in fact still commended us as being good parents as she knew all the challenges we had been facing, how hard we were trying and how much we loved our daughter.

Daughter was manipulative and I knew she would try to play the abuse card to justify her hatred and behaviors toward us. Though I admitted her dad had been very wrong to lose his temper and acted out of line, I still defended him as a good father (because he really was) and tried to point out she had made some mistakes as well (which she never apologized for or owned up to). She twisted things around that I was an enabler to his abuse.

A year or two went by with her still living at home and no more incidents occurred. Then she left to run off with a man on the other side of the country who we have never met and who believes her whole story of being a poor mistreated girl who grew up in this abusive family. When nothing could be further from the truth. He is feeding into her belief and decision to estrange from us. She refuses to talk to me but I do have his work email address and feel like sending him a letter explaining everything from our side of the story. There is a part of me that feels like saying if abuse actually happened then let’s open a full investigation and get to the bottom of it. That’s a really serious charge to be making against someone. I feel like saying if it’s true let’s find out so someone can be arrested. If it’s not then she needs to drop these false charges and just be honest about the real reason she won’t talk to us. It’s because she just doesn’t care.

My main question is will sending this message have any positive impact on me or will it just stir the pot and make things worse? I don’t want to go through life wondering what would have happened if he had heard our side of the story. But I also don’t want to get drug through more unnecessary dirt and slow down my progress toward healing that I have been working on.

quote:

I can understand your wanting to get your side of the story told to your daughter’s partner. We all want to be heard, to be able to defend ourselves against false accusations that destroy our characters. It is so hard to be silent when lies are being thrown out about us to everyone we know.

I can’t tell you what to do but I will tell you that my own experience in doing this only made things worse. In the beginning, I sent letters and cards to my ED, trying to explain my side of things and it just made her madder. Then, many months into our estrangement, my EDs partner (who is also my nephew) called me one day and told me ED had left him and was accusing him of abusing her. He told me he never hurt her intentionally but he did grab her arm out of desperation on a night when she was leaving him, which did leave a bruise. I told him I do not condone what he did, that he should have just let her leave when she wanted to leave. But by being lied about myself, I also understand how she would stretch the truth and make that “grab” into an all out beating. She has since forgiven him and is back with him, but she can’t forgive me for whatever I even did (and I NEVER gave her a bruise). And now neither of them speak to me and they both ghost me at any family get togethers we have, even my nephew who “knows” how she us.

All I can tell you is I have had to let go of caring what orher people think of me. It is really hard, especially with family, but I have learned to just live my life and if lies are told, I just let people choose to believe what they want. If they come to me and ask, then I will tell the truth but if they don’t, I don’t say a word. I know the truth and God knows the truth. One day, the truth will come out. That is something I truly believe. Until then, my true friends and family will stand by me. It took years of feeling alone in my family because my ED was on a crusade to destroy me but now a few have seen her true colors because she revealed those to them and now she doesn’t speak to them, either. She has divided our family with all her lies. It is so sad. But it is what it is and can’t be fixed by me. One day they all will know the truth. I am certain of that.

quote:

Well it was sunday and I had permission to have gd so I went to es house to pick her up she was dressed up to go but she shared she wanted to play dolls at her house . Although my son said hello I event got a half hug from him but not gd who is 7 i didnt feel welcome and gd insisted we stay she had gone to the fair with my ex the day before so no matter what i suggested she wanted to play in her room , so we played my dil appeared from shopping and they began cooking a feast I saw it was getting late i said well i am gonna go and my son invited me to stay for dinner then he and my dil laughed and said my es aunt was coming to dinner the woman who has done everything to keep us apart ,continues to tell lies about me to family . I declined and my gd was very upset es and dil advised me it was time for me to get over it have a drink and join them I thanked them and left with gd crying ..what would you have done

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

One of the worst things about getting out of an abusive home is looking back and seeing how many people knew, but just didn't give a gently caress. Or they're annoyed at you for bringing it up, because denial is easier. It's way too common.

quote:

:byodame: My seven-year-old granddaughter isn't doing enough to make ME feel welcome!!

She is suffering so much because she's forced to play with her granddaughter for an afternoon. I wonder what exciting activities she had planned for her granddaughter. I imagine a kid waiting alone in the car or sitting on a bench while grandma gets her shopping done. That little girl is pretty smart for refusing to go out alone with this harpy and insisting on staying home, in a safe space with her parents a room away.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm also fond of "my estranged son and his family invited me into their home and asked me to stay for dinner, but my hated sister(-in-law?) was coming, so I refused. WHY ARE THESE CHILDREN SO CRUEL TO ME?" Obviously she has the right to choose not to attend family dinner with someone she dislikes, but Christ, own your choices.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

trickybiscuits posted:

Well it was sunday and I had permission to have gd so I went to es house to pick her up she was dressed up to go but she shared she wanted to play dolls at her house . Although my son said hello I event got a half hug from him but not gd who is 7 i didnt feel welcome and gd insisted we stay she had gone to the fair with my ex the day before so no matter what i suggested she wanted to play in her room , so we played my dil appeared from shopping and they began cooking a feast I saw it was getting late i said well i am gonna go and my son invited me to stay for dinner then he and my dil laughed and said my es aunt was coming to dinner the woman who has done everything to keep us apart ,continues to tell lies about me to family . I declined and my gd was very upset es and dil advised me it was time for me to get over it have a drink and join them I thanked them and left with gd crying ..what would you have done

Amazing. She goes over to their house, plays with their kid, they invite her to stay for dinner, and she's still complaining and still calls her son estranged? Good lord, what more does this woman want?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

AuntBuck posted:

She is suffering so much because she's forced to play with her granddaughter for an afternoon. I wonder what exciting activities she had planned for her granddaughter. I imagine a kid waiting alone in the car or sitting on a bench while grandma gets her shopping done. That little girl is pretty smart for refusing to go out alone with this harpy and insisting on staying home, in a safe space with her parents a room away.

I think you are misreading it. As I read it, the crazy woman is annoyed that her daughter, son-in-law, and granddaughter, (who all seem to act civil, and polite, and welcoming to her), didn't want to hang out with her enough for her liking, AND have the temerity to also be hanging out with another relative, (somebody's aunt?), that the crazy lady blames for tearing this family apart. And that is a terrible crime that causes crazy lady much pain.

Although I could be the one misreading it. It is horribly garbled.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

teen witch posted:

mods?! Thanks?!

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

BrigadierSensible posted:

I think you are misreading it. As I read it, the crazy woman is annoyed that her daughter, son-in-law, and granddaughter, (who all seem to act civil, and polite, and welcoming to her), didn't want to hang out with her enough for her liking, AND have the temerity to also be hanging out with another relative, (somebody's aunt?), that the crazy lady blames for tearing this family apart. And that is a terrible crime that causes crazy lady much pain.

Although I could be the one misreading it. It is horribly garbled.

I think we're both right, in a way. It's difficult to parse these narcissistic monologues. You're talking about the end of her post and I'm talking about the beginning. She's annoyed she can't control the entire day. In the first sentence, she talks about the granddaughter being dressed to go out. I got the impression granny wanted to take the girl out for the day, but ended up staying at her kids' house. Crazy grandma's also suggesting doing things other than playing in the grandkid's room, and granddaughter doesn't want to do them, because she's a seven-year-old girl. This old lady expects her granddaughter to follow her script, and I'm really enjoying that she's not. And she manages to shoehorn in a complaint about her ex who is not involved in any of this. So much boomer stink in one paragraph.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

trickybiscuits posted:

She claims he was choking her. Though his arm was over her neck, he had her in a controlled restraint in which he is well trained due to his occupation. Not that it was right by any means and he immediately apologized a hundred times over. My husband is the most gentle kind hearted man who would never intentionally do anything to hurt anyone much less his daughter.

how DARE you accuse my husband who committed domestic violence in front of me twice of committing domestic violence

furthermore, acab

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

how DARE you accuse my husband who committed domestic violence in front of me twice of committing domestic violence

furthermore, acab

Join the police! Learn how to physically abuse your daughter WITHOUT leaving a bruise, (unlike her cousin/husband).

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

How does that one lady have a nephew who could also be her daughter's partner? Close family I guess.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

LyonsLions posted:

Amazing. She goes over to their house, plays with their kid, they invite her to stay for dinner, and she's still complaining and still calls her son estranged? Good lord, what more does this woman want?

She wants to be her son's wife

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

LyonsLions posted:

This happens so much- the family/person gives SO MUCH and is so nice and accommodating and it's just never enough. There's always something they've done wrong or failed at. Are these people just bottomless holes of need and insecurity who only ever see what hasn't been done for them?

These are all from the same human train wreck.

quote:

I was never able to admit to my bad behaviors because I was so young and ignorant. For me, it was drinking. SO socially acceptable and almost required if you wanted to be in the Game.

Drinking and using was bad??? In, ‘70s and ’80s it was just what most did. And now, in ’19, booze/drugs are more used than ever! I started drinking at 20 and already had two children. Boyfriends liked me drunk! Husbands loved me drunk.

Everyone I was in business with drank! Never attributed our/my drinking to what I thought drunks were: losers, skid row, broke, incarcerated, or street livers. In my illiterate mind I simply did not see how my money and social status could possibility be connected to a ‘drunk’. More successful & monied, the more we drank. No DUIs, no legal problems, no health issues nothing to make me think I WAS THE PROBLEM!

I was ignorant to think my drinking behaivors did not influenced my kids on conscious or subliminal levels.

Great zip code, stunning home, pool, own private rooms, new cars in high school, fun vacations, great clothes, horses, dogs, exotic birds, lots of freedoms. As my kids started to ‘act out’ I blamed everything: schools, teachers, spoiled brats, too much money, society, friends, ex-husbands, Fathers lack, everything, except…me.

I drank at political functions, business meeting, traveling, vacations, I drank after my sisters suicide. I drank after my sons suicide. I drank after my husbands suicide attempts when he bankrupted our business. I functioned but, I was diminishing.

What finally stopped my decline into the horrors of alcoholism was when my 10 yr old granddaughter said, “Grandma, do you have to have another one?” She touched my Soul. I instantly KNEW. I never drank again. That was 20+ years ago.

Spent yrs and money trying to make up for my bad choices but nothing worked, the damage had been done. My daughters third husband does not like sobriety. I am rejected.

I live in isolation from my highly educated professional daughter, her third husband and my adult granddaughters. They are not about to forgive me in their perceptions of what, ”I did to them’ fantasies. They do not acknowledge all the help I freely gave them as they came up in life. The home I bought for my daughter, happily embracing each of her 3 husbands, the car for a new baby, the ‘loans’, the free money, the child support money and child caregiving, the utilities bills. I am No longer able to give money.
Maybe that was all they needed. They are in their world of ego, families, relationships, work and fast living to survive this whacked life. DO not misunderstand! I am SO grateful they are all highly educated monied professionals and able to support their families!!

If there is truly self-forgiveness, that can only be done when we admit our part in estrangements. Denial is futile. I have to live (or not) with the hit of regrets, losses and loneliness.

Not much $$ work for olders, I volunteer a lot. Makes me sadder. I do still cry, (so human), but, now I know why and I have to live and die with that. AND, I have rescue doggies..they need me:)

quote:

It has been several years and I have HAD IT with my fantasies of being a family again, of being recognized as a human that deserves Forgiveness For What I Lived Wrong.

ONE DAY…I JUST DID IT AND I AM NOT SORRY. I FEEL RELIEVED.

No more sending$$, begging/pleading my case, no more Trust Accounts, I sent my FINAL statement in a text: “Because you did not tell family the truths about your daughters molestation you destroyed me”. Granddaughter read it. No response. Typical.

Narcissistic 30yr old Granddaughters have kids. As society becomes more OK with families dumping each other, estrangement could be what they will face as their girls age, question, act out and perhaps, walk away.

I ran away at 14 yrs old. I only remember my sisters rape, the incest and no protection from family or church. I never looked back. I am that harmed. Those traumas in the earliest parts of my life destroyed me forever. More than likely played a huge part of the estrangements I live in now.

I am getting more OK with the time I have left.
On sites for the estranged children:

quote:

The postings stunned me. Posters and handlers of the sites were hateful, arrogant and self-righteous. They HATE! Their lives are filled with gut wrenching HATE. I made mistakes, never intentional or maliciously. I have regrets but not the HATE these people (kids) wallow in!

When my 26 yr old Marine Corp son killed himself…his hand written letters to me were full of regret for disappointing ME! He apologized for asking me to help pay for his truck, for not being there for Me when my 20 yr relationship was falling apart, when my business partner embezzled, when his adult sister refused to talk…

I have his letters but not him. I have proof I was sort of an OK Mom. I still do not have my daughter that still refuses to talk, I no longer have granddaughters that believe they are Holy Ones. I do not have my great grand child I helped fund$.
I do not have the money I had, I do not have many friends and I have little time left.

However, I do not carry the guilt and hate the younger generations want to heap on us. Society has become vile in thier resentments of the old and elderly.

How long before their hands wrinkle, their bodies sags, the once pretty and handsome are now the tossed out old and resented?

Will they remember the horrors they did to their parents and families? YES, they will remember.
Reasons why I'm estranged: I'm old; I don't give my descendants money anymore. Not reasons why I'm estranged: I was an alcoholic; I made a child's molestation all about me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

quote:

Then, many months into our estrangement, my EDs partner (who is also my nephew) called me one day and told me ED had left him and was accusing him of abusing her.

Mormon, or just rural that she was loving (or being forced to gently caress) her cousin?

Sailor Cat
Aug 28, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cythereal posted:

Mormon, or just rural that she was loving (or being forced to gently caress) her cousin?

Maybe it's her in-law's blood relation? Still weird, though, not gonna lie.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

trickybiscuits posted:

This happens so much- the family/person gives SO MUCH and is so nice and accommodating and it's just never enough. There's always something they've done wrong or failed at. Are these people just bottomless holes of need and insecurity who only ever see what hasn't been done for them?

These are all from the same human train wreck.

On sites for the estranged children:

Reasons why I'm estranged: I'm old; I don't give my descendants money anymore. Not reasons why I'm estranged: I was an alcoholic; I made a child's molestation all about me.

My daughters third husband does not like sobriety. I am rejected.
Making a bold prediction...if she goes to AA, Martyr Mom is one of those people -- always talking, never listening -- who thinks that making amends requires the person receiving amends to unconditionally forgive the AAer on the spot with no consideration of their history together, and in fact doesn't understand that amends are not meant as a get out of jail free card for a lifetime of disrupting others' health, finances, sanity, and trust.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Admiralty Flag posted:

Making a bold prediction...if she goes to AA, Martyr Mom is one of those people -- always talking, never listening -- who thinks that making amends requires the person receiving amends to unconditionally forgive the AAer on the spot with no consideration of their history together, and in fact doesn't understand that amends are not meant as a get out of jail free card for a lifetime of disrupting others' health, finances, sanity, and trust.

Will hound you like a loan shark because they have an apology to make, and it trumps your boundaries, wants, needs, and mental health like everything else they've shoved down your throat for your entire life.

"What kind of disgusting monster won't even listen to an apology?! I did not raise them to be so rude and ungrateful!"

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

quote:

Drinking and using was bad??? In, ‘70s and ’80s it was just what most did.

loving hell no. This era was huge for alcoholism awareness and treatment, and anti-drunk driving efforts ramped up, etc. Like many addicts, she just surrounded herself with other alcoholics.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

AuntBuck posted:

loving hell no. This era was huge for alcoholism awareness and treatment, and anti-drunk driving efforts ramped up, etc. Like many addicts, she just surrounded herself with other alcoholics.

That generation is awful for being drunks. It’s so socially acceptable for them to drink every night after work and get completely wasted at events. Drug use seems more common in older people too. I’m in the UK and there has been a lot of articles recently about older middle class people taking coke. By contrast, the early-20s people I work with tend to be into clean living, vegan-y poo poo and rarely go to pubs or nightclubs. Maybe because they’re full of embarrassing older people? I had to laugh at her assertion that in 2019 people use more alcohol and drugs than ever.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SEX BURRITO posted:

That generation is awful for being drunks. It’s so socially acceptable for them to drink every night after work and get completely wasted at events. Drug use seems more common in older people too. I’m in the UK and there has been a lot of articles recently about older middle class people taking coke. By contrast, the early-20s people I work with tend to be into clean living, vegan-y poo poo and rarely go to pubs or nightclubs. Maybe because they’re full of embarrassing older people? I had to laugh at her assertion that in 2019 people use more alcohol and drugs than ever.

Probably as much because younger people have less money to go out and buy drugs and grew up in isolated suburban hell so they don't have any idea where to even buy drugs.

Though I'd wager it's like the alcohol statistics where 10% of the people consume 90% of the substances.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Most of us can’t afford it, tbh.

Sailor Cat
Aug 28, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Probably as much because younger people have less money to go out and buy drugs and grew up in isolated suburban hell so they don't have any idea where to even buy drugs.

I dunno, I think isolated suburbs have their own drug problems. I think a lot of it is defensiveness, especially in a time when marijuana is becoming more and more socially acceptable but excessive drinking is recognized as a serious problem. It's easy to point at dispensaries and vape pens as evidence of an epidemic, and it distracts from the wine in your coffee cup at 11 AM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

trickybiscuits posted:

When my 26 yr old Marine Corp son killed himself…his hand written letters to me were full of regret for disappointing ME! He apologized for asking me to help pay for his truck, for not being there for Me when my 20 yr relationship was falling apart, when my business partner embezzled, when his adult sister refused to talk…

This is the most hosed up thing. Your son killed himself while apologizing to you and you take that as proof that you were right? And not that "poo poo my son thought I was unhappy with him! Maybe my expectations were wrong, or too high or something!"

Nothing gets through to these people, does it?