Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Rated PG-34 posted:

I stopped watching the good place after it went from capitalism means no one is morally good to world is too complicated for anyone to be morally good

what a loving dumb take

the actual take is the world is too complicated for people to understand that capitalism means no one is morally good. but also specifically the bad place is manipulating the results and hiding the manipulations in the increased complexity

also its pretty loving clear that neither the good place or the bad place hold any actual authority over truth or reality and are just whiney ignorant children, so forming any take-aways from just their nominal explinations is pretty dumb and counter to what the show is actually trying to present (and the show is a really low level of presentation of the time knife)

Reverend Dr has issued a correction as of 17:42 on Nov 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

refleks posted:

who the gently caress doesnt like dougie. i will fight them

Dougie's wife owns more.

At least so far, I haven't finished the season yet. Borrowed it from my local Library.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Twin Peaks season 3 is just "I miss Dale Cooper please turn back into Dale Cooper no wait no STAY DOUGIE FOREVER".

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

MokBa posted:

Twin Peaks season 3 is just "I miss Dale Cooper please turn back into Dale Cooper no wait no STAY DOUGIE FOREVER".

its this, which also makes it so satisfying when he finally shows up - even if black lodge coop and dougie owns in their own right

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/CCIGTKUA/status/1191460268527833088?s=20

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Instead of whatever they are doing with episode 9 what if the whole movie was kylo digging up Palpatines corpse and putting it on trial

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

refleks posted:

who the gently caress doesnt like dougie. i will fight them

my roommate at the time almost quit The Return early over dougie

the fool

the absolute rube

dougie owns

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i have the sudden urge to wear ninja turtle pajamas, sing the theme song obnoxiously loud and go around hitting people with a stick

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I just watched The Wave on Netflix. It's a German show about some juvie convict who shows up at a high school on day release, and brings a bunch of misfits together to form their own teenaged Baader-Meinhof group. They mostly just do political pranks and the show has a very "culture jammer" mindset - but it does go over a lot of problems with left wing organizing broadly and cell-organizing specifically. Doesn't pull punches on Nazis or cops either.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I went to see The Lighthouse this weekend, So very strange and so very good

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
I haven't seen it, but i watched that King movie on Netflix, and you've got to give Robert Pattinson props for going from the guy from twilight to a pretty good actor. He's character was so close to over the top in that movie, but still good.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

oh so thats why people were so excited about it i could not for the life of me figure out the enthusiasm for this movie i knew it had the call me by your name guy but even then it seemed overhyped

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i watched The King last night, it's a pretty good period piece with excellent costuming and combat and acting. plot's not much to speak of and it's somewhat inaccurate with character motivation but i had a good time. i could watch the duel in the beginning over and over

it's insane to me that the younger brother never reappeared after they had a major falling out, i was anticipating him to be a villain

also stereotypical french are dumb and haughty

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

i say swears online posted:

also stereotypical french are dumb and haughty

gently caress this English bullshit

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Random thought I had today:

The early-to-mid 2010s had popular political dramas that were embraced by the liberal influencers, based around a clever man or woman who operates the political system like a chess master who's twenty moves ahead like anyone else. If nobody coined shows like Scandal and House of Cards as Late Stage West Wing, I'd like to do it now.

I call it Late Stage West Wing because it's sort of a mutation of the West Wing-y liberal imagination; once pretensions of serving the people or democracy are dropped entirely. It's more important that political operatives are seen as ruthless and competent than altruistic.

(Kind of telling that doctors hate medical dramas; cops hate cop shows, lawyers hate legal dramas, but political grifters LOVE West Wing and Late Stage West Wing...)

The Underwoods weren't even depicted as ruthless cynics who had ultimately altruistic ends; they did not. They only wanted power for power's sake; and liberals, including the then-president Barack Obama, openly embraced this power fantasy. The first season had a plotline where the Underwoods used their political gifts to out-maneuver the Teachers Union; who were actually treated way more sympathetically than they ever were in The West Wing. But their defeat only served the purpose of showing how badass and interesting a character played by pedophile supposedly was.

"Late Stage West Wing" can also be seen as a short-lived period (transition?) before shows literally about royals like Game of Thrones and The Crown were fully embraced by shitlibs as analogues to real politics. But it still lingers even in that recent Brexit movie. It's not surprising that they played up Dominic Cummings as a master cynical operative, but the film went to great lengths to depict him as one of the more sympathetic Brexiteers despite his unethical methods, because the movie was kind of asking Remainers, "Don't you wish you were this clever?"

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

miss sloane is another good example of what youre talking about maybe designated survivor too which i havent seen but descriptions ive heard make it sound very succ

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I've watched most of the first season of Designated Survivor, and also its Korean remake, and there isn't really any character comparable to Frank Underwood or Olivia Pope.

Maybe the Chief of Staff considered himself hyper-competent, but I never felt like the audience was supposed to agree.

Maybe in later seasons it happened?

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

the most notable thing the king on netflix is how falstaff is now portrayed

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

the next fantastic beasts movie is going to be filmed in brazil thanks jk

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Echo Chamber posted:

I've watched most of the first season of Designated Survivor, and also its Korean remake, and there isn't really any character comparable to Frank Underwood or Olivia Pope.

Maybe the Chief of Staff considered himself hyper-competent, but I never felt like the audience was supposed to agree.

having watched the first season, Designate Survivor's non-actiony parts isn't so much about "Late Stage West Wing" as it is a reification of actual West Wing

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Uncle Wemus posted:

are they setting it there too i can only imagine how stupidly ignorant it will be of brazilian history when rowling cant even keep english and american history straight

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

never forget that time rowling retconned voldemorts pet snake into being a korean woman for gently caress knows what reason

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Uncle Wemus posted:

Wizarding didn't really take off in South America until around the mid-40s

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Isn't JK a lib dem who thinks Corbyn goes "too far"?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Forceholy posted:

Isn't JK a lib dem who thinks Corbyn goes "too far"?

absolutely

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ardent Communist posted:

I haven't seen it, but i watched that King movie on Netflix, and you've got to give Robert Pattinson props for going from the guy from twilight to a pretty good actor. He's character was so close to over the top in that movie, but still good.

I got dragged to twilight back in high school and tbh Robert was pretty good in it, it was enjoyable to see someone on screen who didn't want to be there as much as me

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

https://twitter.com/Mr_Kayvan/status/1188509684094906377

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

gradenko_2000 posted:

having watched the first season, Designate Survivor's non-actiony parts isn't so much about "Late Stage West Wing" as it is a reification of actual West Wing
Haven't seen Madame Secretary, but I get the vibe it's also a re-if of West Wing, but with Hillary.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Echo Chamber posted:

Haven't seen Madame Secretary, but I get the vibe it's also a re-if of West Wing, but with Hillary.

It's been a long time since I've watched it, but by my recollection, Madame Secretary is different from The West Wing in that Tea Leoni's character actually gets poo poo done, while also avoiding House of Cards's issue with making the protagonist into a malevolent force. We're made to understand that the Madame Secretary is a good person, and has good policies.

The problem, of course, is that "good" here is measured by the standards of Obama-era liberal internationalism.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Echo Chamber posted:

"Late Stage West Wing" can also be seen as a short-lived period (transition?) before shows literally about royals like Game of Thrones and The Crown were fully embraced by shitlibs as analogues to real politics.

i'm positive most poo poo libs would 100% support a return to monarchy as long as the "right" person were in charge, regardless of how much they might say otherwise. all their wailing and gnashing of teeth over trump is just because he doesn't share their world view, not that he's actually a narcissistic solipsist in the dementia stage of syphilis

the myriad ways they venerate musk or jobs or any of the other scions of silicon valley is my proof

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i'm positive most poo poo libs would 100% support a return to monarchy as long as the "right" person were in charge, regardless of how much they might say otherwise. all their wailing and gnashing of teeth over trump is just because he doesn't share their world view, not that he's actually a narcissistic solipsist in the dementia stage of syphilis

the myriad ways they venerate musk or jobs or any of the other scions of silicon valley is my proof

they ran hillary for a reason

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

https://twitter.com/Disney_PIus/status/1191740311082549248?s=20

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Freaking Crumbum posted:

Louis Napoleon Bonaparte.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Freaking Crumbum posted:

The bourgeois could only rise to the new ruling class by negotiating with the aristocracy in the wake of Napoleon's defeat, and collaborating with the reactionary monarchies. All liberals really care about is that they're left to mind their own business while the actual affairs of politics are being performed in their favor sight unseen.

Serf
May 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/MuseZack/status/1191562008916709376?s=20

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

all of a sudden its so obvious why the post cameron terminator movies suck

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

people tend to forget before he became James Cameron, he was just a truck driver. Basically all of his works outside of True Lies - itself a remake - and his documentaries, which are just “oceans are cool as poo poo, guys!” are very working class views, like “corporations and the traditional power structures that have existed are inherently evil and dehumanizing and I like to blow them up”.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ardent Communist posted:

He’s always been a great actor, it’s just with Twighlight he had nothing to work with. Check out “Cosmopolis”, it’s one of Cronenberg’s better movies that don’t involve gun vaginas or heads exploding.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Echo Chamber posted:

is the korean remake good? or is it as bad as the source

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

He’s always been a great actor, it’s just with Twighlight he had nothing to work with.
nah, he did his damnedest to ham it up in the last one or two movies