Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

arrowdust
Jan 26, 2015

Scarodactyl posted:

There isn't really a set price for these types of things, though you can find good comps by searching arpund eBay and online shops to get an idea what it would cost to replace. I think you paid a very reasonable price.

Thanks yeah I was worried that would be the case. I did find an online resource comparing the prices of tumbled stones but it doesn't seem to be comprehensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

straya mate posted:

Thanks yeah I was worried that would be the case. I did find an online resource comparing the prices of tumbled stones but it doesn't seem to be comprehensive.

There's a large amount of qualitative factors that go into $/gm calculations too, so you may be comparing apples to oranges to bananas.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Yeah quality is a huge factor and it can be hard to tell because what is considered desirable can be different between different gems. For example, for most gems inclusions lower the price but for emerald they're super desirable.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Inclusions aren't desirable in emerald (aside from trapiches but that's a different can of worms). They are considered particularly acceptable in emerald because clean stones are very rare (apparently chromium tends to mess with their crystal growth), but stones that are properly clean sell for far, far more.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Scarodactyl posted:

Inclusions aren't desirable in emerald (aside from trapiches but that's a different can of worms). They are considered particularly acceptable in emerald because clean stones are very rare (apparently chromium tends to mess with their crystal growth), but stones that are properly clean sell for far, far more.

100%, we have some stock of emeralds from the Chivor mine in Columbia and I find them very interesting for a few reasons. One is that they are very, very clean for emeralds, only a few inclusions here and there and relatively small, and two because they have this incredible slightly turquoise green colour that is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to photograph accurately.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Scarodactyl posted:

Oh really! That's interesting, we definitely covered that specifically in class but it's not like I can afford real emeralds lololol

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Would this be the correct thread to ask about a mysterious pair of sterling silver cufflinks I bought in England during the 90's?

I'm very familiar with silver, but I absolutely cannot identify who made these drat cufflinks.

Purchased and Harvey Nichols in the mid 90's -

They hallmarks indicate they are from London and Sterling. But I absolutely cannot identify the maker's mark. It looks like an SJ? I've used my x60 loupe and just cannot figure it out.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Are there any jewelers willing to take a custom commission for an engagement ring, hopefully delivering in the next couple months? My girlfriend found a ring she loves on Etsy but the artisan isn’t currently taking custom orders and I would really prefer to get moissanite stones rather than diamonds. For reference, here’s the ring; she loves the dainty laurel leaf pattern, and the artist has an asking price of about $500. It’s rose gold with three tiny stones. To be clear, I wouldn’t expect anyone to make an exact copy of this, that seems a bit unethical to me.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Lawnie posted:

Are there any jewelers willing to take a custom commission for an engagement ring, hopefully delivering in the next couple months? My girlfriend found a ring she loves on Etsy but the artisan isn’t currently taking custom orders and I would really prefer to get moissanite stones rather than diamonds. For reference, here’s the ring; she loves the dainty laurel leaf pattern, and the artist has an asking price of about $500. It’s rose gold with three tiny stones. To be clear, I wouldn’t expect anyone to make an exact copy of this, that seems a bit unethical to me.

Yeah I'd be down. Shoot me a PM and I can send you examples of my work and we can talk details and timeline.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Yeah I'd be down. Shoot me a PM and I can send you examples of my work and we can talk details and timeline.

Sent you a PM, at least I think I did.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Thanks to advice from Claes I hopefully have achieved the shiniest non-quartz gem I've ever cut! I still need to flip it and cut the crown but I'm excited :woop:

It's got a bit of dust on it because I ran out of the good wipes/lovely toiletpaper rip

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Beautiful work! Ruby or spinel?

(One hell of a girdle though!)

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Xun posted:

Thanks to advice from Claes I hopefully have achieved the shiniest non-quartz gem I've ever cut! I still need to flip it and cut the crown but I'm excited :woop:

It's got a bit of dust on it because I ran out of the good wipes/lovely toiletpaper rip

Looks great! Can't wait to see it finished :)

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Scarodactyl posted:

Beautiful work! Ruby or spinel?

(One hell of a girdle though!)

It's a synthetic sapphire, I love the color! Sadly I screwed up the orientation during dopping so it needed to be cut way down :smith:

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Looks great! Can't wait to see it finished :)

Thanks! I can't wait either lol

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

It was suggested to me to come post over here since someone would likely have more insight. Over in the Weird News Headlines thread, it was posted about a couple claiming to have lost a $280 million dollar emerald in the 2018 Camp wildfire.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/fires/article237531689.html
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/was-a-280-million-emerald-destroyed-in-california-wildfire-pge-is-dubious-2019-11-19

While it goes without saying that this couple's likely trying to pull something on the damages claim, I'd never heard of gemstones burning up like this so I googled around. I found mention of impurities within the stone being a factor and as far as emeralds go, they convert into phenacite when burned. I know diamonds can be burned under the right conditions and heat, but what about the other gemstones?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Heat resistance varies quite a bit from stone to stone. Sapphires are fine up to around 2000c (though these temperatures can certainly affect them, hence heat treatment), but beryl (which emerald is a variety of) will turn to opaque white ash around...I think 800ish c? I've done it once, it wasn't pretty.
For a specimen like this, though, you're not dealing with a single crystal, but a specimen composed of many intergrown crystals of different minerals. They will have different heat tolerances and different rates of thermal expansion. They're also much harder to clean, impossible in many cases to get soot out of fine crennelations, vs a single crystal or faceted stone.

So yeah, a fire could totally destroy a specimen like that with ease. That said, their valuation is insane even by massively-inflated-valuation standards, and I think it's fair to disbelieve anything they say.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1198941676636688384

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Scarodactyl posted:

Heat resistance varies quite a bit from stone to stone. Sapphires are fine up to around 2000c (though these temperatures can certainly affect them, hence heat treatment), but beryl (which emerald is a variety of) will turn to opaque white ash around...I think 800ish c? I've done it once, it wasn't pretty.
For a specimen like this, though, you're not dealing with a single crystal, but a specimen composed of many intergrown crystals of different minerals. They will have different heat tolerances and different rates of thermal expansion. They're also much harder to clean, impossible in many cases to get soot out of fine crennelations, vs a single crystal or faceted stone.

So yeah, a fire could totally destroy a specimen like that with ease. That said, their valuation is insane even by massively-inflated-valuation standards, and I think it's fair to disbelieve anything they say.

That makes sense. Thanks.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Insane. Likely a targeted job for someone wanting these pieces (I hope). Best case scenario is they're returned, second best case is the person who paid to have them stolen keeps them intact, and the worst case is they're all melted down.

Any word on if this was done by the pink panthers?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

puravida posted:

Nice to see the gem thread back! I loved browsing the last one for tips and photos.

Does anyone recall JohnnyRnR’s website where he sold jewelry? I loved browsing it since he had lots of rare gems, but I can’t remember the URL at all!
I know nothing about gems but enjoy these threads and follow JohnnyRnR’s Instagram. His site is in his bio.

https://instagram.com/jbrookheart

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is there anything special about buying diamond stud earrings versus buying a diamond engagement ring? My wife has mentioned wanting a pair at some point. Is Blue Nile the way to go for something as commoditized as stud earrings?

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

So, what is the best place/way to learn lapidary? I want to save up to take courses as a gemologist so that I can grade gems, but I also am interested in learning to actually cut them as well. Am I being dumb with wanting the initial gemologist schooling, or is that actually a reasonable career path?

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Residency Evil posted:

Is there anything special about buying diamond stud earrings versus buying a diamond engagement ring? My wife has mentioned wanting a pair at some point. Is Blue Nile the way to go for something as commoditized as stud earrings?

Honestly, should be fine. Diamonds in earrings are of lower quality usually because people don't get as up close to them as they do with engagement rings. I still default to custom jewellers because their work is better, but diamond earrings are pretty simple.

Rorac posted:

So, what is the best place/way to learn lapidary? I want to save up to take courses as a gemologist so that I can grade gems, but I also am interested in learning to actually cut them as well. Am I being dumb with wanting the initial gemologist schooling, or is that actually a reasonable career path?

Not entirely sure on what gemologist schooling could do for you career wise, but as for the lapidary the best idea is to find local rock and mineral clubs in your area and see if they have classes. I took a 3 day course on cutting gems and then bought equipment and taught myself the rest. I was already making jewellery so maybe it came a bit faster to me than some, but many people are self taught and do incredible work.

Tom's book "Amateur Gemstone Faceting Volume 1: The Essentials" is gospel and basically takes you from starting to learn the process right up to cutting your first stone.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Yeah, for faceting it's usually best to find someone local who has a machine who can run you through some stuff because the setup cost for equipment is pretty high, so you want to be able to try it before you sink potentially thousands into a machine and laps. That book has a great reputation. For a quick overview there is also Arya Arhkaven's Faceting 101 series on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD6ZlNmtwmM

Cutting cabochons is a lot easier and less technical, though it does take some practice.

Gemological education is going to vary in usefulness depending on what you want to do, I think. I've been considering it myself since I'm at a point where I'm doing a bit more stone sorting (specifically separating treated from untreated from synthetic, baseline ID is easy with a raman), plus having some sort of gemological credentials is always handy for establishing cred. But it isn't essential if lapidary stuff is your main goal, and an awful lot can be learned on your own--for instance the GIA has all of their issues of Gems and Gemology available for free download, which is a ton of high quality and easy-to-read research at your fingertips.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
I had a necklace that was stolen a few years ago. It was a large rectangular amythest (maybe 1/2 inch x 3/4inch). It was in a gold box setting. The amythest was previously part of a bracelet that belonged to my great grandma, so it was probably an antique cut. I wore the necklace all the time, and while I know certain sentimental aspects of the necklace are irreplaceable, I would like to get something similar.

My sister and I were gifted matching necklaces made out of stones from this bracelet. I was hoping to bring my sister’s necklace to a jeweler and have it replicated. I don’t think this is the type of work my local jeweler would handle. I live in the Los Angeles area, so I could drive to the jewelry district there, but I’m overwhelmed by the number of stores and I’m unsure how to find someone who will do I good job. Any advice?

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Staryberry posted:

My sister and I were gifted matching necklaces made out of stones from this bracelet. I was hoping to bring my sister’s necklace to a jeweler and have it replicated. I don’t think this is the type of work my local jeweler would handle. I live in the Los Angeles area, so I could drive to the jewelry district there, but I’m overwhelmed by the number of stores and I’m unsure how to find someone who will do I good job. Any advice?

This sounds like it wouldn't be too difficult. If you send me a photo I'll refer you to someone in LA that has the capability.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

JohnnyRnR posted:

This sounds like it wouldn't be too difficult. If you send me a photo I'll refer you to someone in LA that has the capability.

Any help you could give me would be great. I’d bring the actual necklace with me when I visit the jeweler.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Oh yeah. This is a pretty typical cut, kind of a shallow emerald. If Johnny doesn't have one on hand I might be able to find one at Tucson towards the end of this month if you can get measurements.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Any idea what this pendant is made of? The coppery gold stuff is shiny and the whitish-tan areas are translucent.

Edit: added image

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

It is probably pieces of quartz bonded together with metal leaf mixed with epoxy (broadly imitating natural native gold in quartz veins). This is most typically done with faux-turquoise to give it a spiderwebby look (or with purple faux-turquoise which is a weirdly popular item).

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Scarodactyl posted:

It is probably pieces of quartz bonded together with metal leaf mixed with epoxy (broadly imitating natural native gold in quartz veins). This is most typically done with faux-turquoise to give it a spiderwebby look (or with purple faux-turquoise which is a weirdly popular item).

It's a neat looking piece and it's cool to know how it might have been made. Thanks!

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Staryberry posted:

Any help you could give me would be great. I’d bring the actual necklace with me when I visit the jeweler.

Just sent a PM with info on a friend in your area.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Is anyone else at the Tucson gem shows? It might be fun to do another meetup if so.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Scarodactyl posted:

Is anyone else at the Tucson gem shows? It might be fun to do another meetup if so.

Wasn't there this year :( Next year for sure though!

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Anybody know where I might be able to find a solid silver Claddagh ring with a Black gem or March birthstone? I've been looking online but I'm skeptical of some of the results.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Scarodactyl posted:

Had to skip it this year, sadly.

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

It’s my first time at Tucson! Omg, I thought it would be just a couple of locations. Not 30+ hotels scattered across the area :O

The FOMO is strong.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Seluin posted:

It’s my first time at Tucson! Omg, I thought it would be just a couple of locations. Not 30+ hotels scattered across the area :O

The FOMO is strong.

What are you after? In terms of well'rounded shows if you dont know what you're after, 22nd street is the best pick - great deals across the spectrum AND dinosaurs.

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

I was looking for gems (particularly weird rare poo poo) and facet rough.

I ended up spending most of my time doing Pueblo, 22nd street, JGX, and AGTA.

Was cool seeing some random dino bones too :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Seluin posted:

I was looking for gems (particularly weird rare poo poo) and facet rough.

I ended up spending most of my time doing Pueblo, 22nd street, JGX, and AGTA.

Was cool seeing some random dino bones too :)

I always love seeing the dino bones and fossils. It's like the huge crystals and...uhh...geodes? The big amethyst ones. It's not what I go for but it's always cool to see!