Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki
I'm having the i5 issue with the stutter, otherwise good. Hope this gets fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Giedroyc posted:

Well considering after disabling anti-virus, installing the latest drivers etc etc as people recommend I can get at best halfway through the opening cutscene before it crashes if I'm lucky...

And your specs?

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!

HORMELCHILI posted:

And your specs?

Intel I7-4790k
RX 480 4gb
8gb ram

All of which meet at least the minimum specs. The game is broken and needs to be patched, sorry. Even when it did load and let me check graphics settings it recommended ultra textures and mostly high everything else at 1080p.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Sounds like your rig is just trash, sorry. Working fine here for me and many others.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

HORMELCHILI posted:

Sounds like your rig is just trash, sorry. Working fine here for me and many others.

The CPU and GFC meet recommended requirements and the ram meets minimum ones. Especially given 1080p isn't really the standard resolution these days. I'm glad it works for you, but there are lots of people who can't even load the title screen.

https://www.techradar.com/news/red-dead-redemption-2-is-broken-on-pc-and-no-one-knows-how-to-fix-it

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Giedroyc posted:

The CPU and GFC meet recommended requirements and the ram meets minimum ones. Especially given 1080p isn't really the standard resolution these days. I'm glad it works for you, but there are lots of people who can't even load the title screen.

https://www.techradar.com/news/red-dead-redemption-2-is-broken-on-pc-and-no-one-knows-how-to-fix-it

well it sounds like you are getting the "minimum" performance, for sure

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Got the launcher bug, can't even boot the game. drat.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Decrypted in like 10 minutes, set everything to ultra and got 56fps average on the benchmark. It looked so beautiful, I had tears in my eyes because I never thought I'd play a Red Dead Redemption game on PC and here I am, well, I'm at work now, but the tears are still there.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Sleekly posted:

Do certain foods encourage more horse farts/poop? Did even MGSV do that?
I just feed mine hay all the time and he seems uh regular i guess?

In my experience, it seems like the horse is more likely to poop when you turn around to face it after you've had your back to it for a while, focused on something else.

I don't think you can do anything to affect the poop. The frequency of the horse dumps is not an exaggeration, apparently. They really do poop a lot.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Just wait a month or two before buying RDR2 for PC so Rockstar has some time to work all the problems out. In the meantime, play it again on console to tide you over, pardner.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Dick Jones posted:

In my experience, it seems like the horse is more likely to poop when you turn around to face it after you've had your back to it for a while, focused on something else.

I don't think you can do anything to affect the poop. The frequency of the horse dumps is not an exaggeration, apparently. They really do poop a lot.

Massive Horse Defecation 2 :clint:

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

AndyElusive posted:

Just wait a month or two before buying RDR2 for PC so Rockstar has some time to work all the problems out. In the meantime, play it again on console to tide you over, pardner.

The horse fecal mods will be all ready by then too

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
I created my character, was in a tent picking out clothes and my power went out. When I logged back on my character was completely different. How can I reset my Online game. I want to start over.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Working great at 1440 for me. 60+ FPS, high everything except ultra textures. I turned various features from off to on as well.

4790k + 2070S

Had to disable bitdefender to get the game to start.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’ve been loving with settings to get a more stable FPS until the first couple of big performance patches, and poo poo, this game still looks incredible.

Also gently caress you Micah.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

The amount of tunable settings and how smooth this is running out of the gate is unprecedented for rockstar pc releases

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Anyone with an i5 had any luck with stopping the freezing by lowering settings for the time being?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I played through this game when it released and fuckin’ hell coming back to it a year or so later knowing everything that is gonna happen now that I’m playing through it again is just heartbreaking.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Haha I thought after a couple years I could tolerate Dutch again but here’s his first speech in the intro and I’m looking at my phone.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Well, the launcher bug was a good excuse to update my BIOS from the Ryzen 3600 launch one anyway. Didn't make any difference to RDR2, but you know.....

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

HORMELCHILI posted:

The amount of tunable settings and how smooth this is running out of the gate is unprecedented for rockstar pc releases

Except for those of us who get the launcher bug :v:

Bravo, Rockstar, you did not let me down. I wanted bugs, and bugs I got :smith:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 5, 2019

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

TorakFade posted:

Except for those of us who get the launcher bug :v:

Bravo, Rockstar, you did not let me down. I wanted bugs, and bugs I got :smith:

Or anyone with an i5 :negative:

It was tolerable until Valentine, at which point it became unplayable.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

This seems pretty well optimized. I cranked everything to ultra and I'm holding steady between 35-40fps. It works fine and looks phenomenal but I'd like to get it closer to 60. Anyone found any oddball settings that you can tune down for a decent bump?

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I ran windows update preemptively this morning, but saw a comment that made me double check; sure enough, there was an OPTIONAL update 1903 that I didn't have yet. Installing that now and crossing my fingers, I've flashed my bios and everything. (To be clear, I'm having the launcher crash when I click play and not getting any further)

EDIT: Nope, that wasn't it either. "Launcher failed to initialize" when I try to launch through the launcher. Feeling pretty salty about the option it gave me to install shortcuts and yet some launcher poo poo is locking me out.

Gooch181 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 5, 2019

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
for PC is it better to use m+k or gamepad?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

barkbell posted:

i would think a racing wheel if you've got one. Otherwise whichever you prefer using is the correct answer.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

barkbell posted:

Movement with wasd seems kinda fucky, especially on horses. If you try to turn without holding w you just keep turning even after letting go of the key.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Is it me or are RockStar games just abysmal on PC? They remind me of the old clunky Final Fantasy ports from the Playstation. I have a pretty beefy rig, but it still gets clobbered under GTAV

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

barkbell posted:

I knew a lot of people to be frustrated with how sluggish the controls felt on PS4. Using an Xbone controller with the membrane buttons made it feel even worse after just finishing the Witcher 3 DLC. I ordered the latest Razer Ultimate controller with clicky buttons compared to a standard Xbone controller so hopefully that helps.

To be clear I’m assuming I got everything I just posted wrong; but hey, worth a shot.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i guess the controller question doesnt matter because this game barely runs lol

generic metric
Jul 1, 2008

i'm having the launcher crash issues and it looks like it is not registered properly on rockstar social club even though i have the game in the launcher.
does anyone else have this issue?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

DreadCthulhu posted:

Is it me or are RockStar games just abysmal on PC? They remind me of the old clunky Final Fantasy ports from the Playstation. I have a pretty beefy rig, but it still gets clobbered under GTAV

I can't test rdr out because I'm not at home but GTAV runs super smooth for me. I7, 1080.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Gta5 runs smoothly on my laptop with a 1060 mobile.

Rockstar games are well optimized. If you have issues it's more compatibility issues and you are stuck waiting for a fix.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
After playing briefly this morning, I think bird hunting is going to be a lot harder on PC. Those fuckers can be small, and the auto lock on kind of made it trivial.

Edit: Did Rockstar not send out review copies of the PC version? I mean, most of the game has not changed, but I still expected something.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 5, 2019

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Magically the 80mb patch fixed all issues and it's now running great on my Pentium 2 233mmx with verite graphics card.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

After playing briefly this morning, I think bird hunting is going to be a lot harder on PC. Those fuckers can be small, and the auto lock on kind of made it trivial.

Feathers are super useful/valuable too so that kinda sucks. You can probably still use dead eye to tag and drop whole flocks though.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Sleekly posted:

Feathers are super useful/valuable too so that kinda sucks. You can probably still use dead eye to tag and drop whole flocks though.

I’m hoping the improved resolution and detail will make it easier to tag song birds before they are able to take off.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

I was having the freezes every so often but once I got off the mountain (and this may have been after the patch) it smoothed out and is running great on my I5 6600k / 1070ti.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Hitlin posted:

i'm having the launcher crash issues and it looks like it is not registered properly on rockstar social club even though i have the game in the launcher.
does anyone else have this issue?

I did i think i just logged out and back in and its been working since

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
While it sounds like it doesn't help everyone, setting affinity on RDR2.exe to two cores and disabling cloud saves have eliminated the 5-10s pauses that I was seeing (i5-6600k, 1070). Easy thing to try if that's your issue