Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

You Am I posted:

big tip here: sleep with your eyes closed

I'll add another:

* Grand Designs UK

there’s now an NZ one that’s good also

the Australia one is weirdly bad/boring, if I wanted to see lots of boomers building mcmansions I’d look out my window

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

fart simpson posted:

that japanese channel sounds like it’s extremely my poo poo

NHK World. They broadcast it on a tv subcarrier here and i will turn that poo poo on and just let it mumble in the background for eighteen hours. when i get burned out i just focus on that and watch some 93 year old japanese guy pull noodles while a narrator goes "Wow! This tradition has been common in this prefecture for seventy years." i can get about 45 channels on OTA TV here and ninety percent of my tv channel time is spent on it

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
midsomer murders is my go to old person show

barnaby is pretty woke, all considered

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
woke up with sore hands

i now take 3g of acetaminophen total per day

im hoping this will keep me going for 5 to 10 more years

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Cold on a Cob posted:

midsomer murders is my go to old person show

barnaby is pretty woke, all considered
mine is absolutely frasier

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
i just been binge-watching King of the Hill lately

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Cold on a Cob posted:

midsommar murders

:eyepop:

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

rotor posted:

i just been binge-watching King of the Hill lately

ditto, and somehow it's even better than i remembered

legalize luanne

https://twitter.com/sugamommma/status/1188212240052293632

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cold on a Cob posted:

woke up with sore hands

this will destroy your liver

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cold on a Cob posted:

woke up with sore hands

your liver will fail in one

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this will destroy your liver

nah <4g and zero booze should be ok

and if not oh well, can’t take nsaids anymore :rip:

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
4g isn't the max daily dosage, it's the amount you take to shut your liver down today.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
source?

they did lower it from 4 to 3 (max 1g every 6 hrs) in a lot of countries but that’s because they underestimated how much alcohol lowers your tolerance

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Achmed Jones posted:

old person tv shows that rule:
* this old house

they have ytheir own streaming service and it's great

there's no fake drama, no padding out poo poo with teasers and recaps around every commercial break; ep i'm on right now is spending 7m showing how a heat pump works, after spending 3m on an in-wall toilet and 2m on stone tiles

it's nice to see non-alienated labor getting done and to parasocialize with ya boi kevin

https://twitter.com/keelayjams/status/691484217205755904

brilliant show in its simplicity and straightforwardness

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

psiox posted:

ditto, and somehow it's even better than i remembered

legalize luanne

https://twitter.com/sugamommma/status/1188212240052293632

It really is just super good. I'm only up to season 4 but dang

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Uptime Sinclair posted:

mine is absolutely frasier

my lady said im a marty and shes totally right in both my snark and the conversations with our dog

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cold on a Cob posted:

source?

they did lower it from 4 to 3 (max 1g every 6 hrs) in a lot of countries but that’s because they underestimated how much alcohol lowers your tolerance

the recommendation is 1g per day if you drink alcohol at all, like, ever. not 1g on a day you drink alcohol, 1g a day ever

acetaminophen is extremely bad poo poo and you should not be taking several grams a day

if you need high doses of an NSAID ask your doctor. you will likely be prescribed ibuprofen or naproxen, and warned strictly about alcohol

(however, alcohol + ibuprofen just causes stomach bleeding. not horrible, agonizing death.)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
a 3g/day max is like, you have been hospitalized, you are a known teetotaller, and you cannot safely tolerate ibuprofen or naproxen.

it is not, err, an amount you should ever actually be taking

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
idk man i'm reading some stuff on the internet that says 3g/day over long periods is ok

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

rotor posted:

idk man i'm reading some stuff on the internet that says 3g/day over long periods is ok

i would talk to a doctor. or at the very least a pharmacist. lots and lots of drugs involve liver metabolism and the interactions can kill you.

and definitely, 100%, do not drink alcohol. any alcohol. ever.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
yeah if i was taking any medicine longer than a few weeks I'd run it past a doctor

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

dr yospos

mystes
May 31, 2006

Maybe it won't kill you but acetaminophen is a really bad drug to gently caress around with so I'm inclined to side with nbsd on this one.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

theadder posted:

dr yospos

"my apple watch said it was ok"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
siri how much tylenol can i take every day

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i wish it did op i wish it did

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

graph posted:

i use two thin ones and sandwich my arms between em

so uh

idk i guess were gonna risk it

it’s about arm reduction

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

eschaton posted:

it’s about arm reduction

xD

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

rotor posted:

"my apple watch TCC said it was ok"

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this destroys the liver

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i would talk to a doctor. or at the very least a pharmacist.

paging echi-

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

and definitely, 100%, do not drink alcohol. any alcohol. ever.

nm

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Progressive JPEG posted:

there’s now an NZ one that’s good also

the Australia one is weirdly bad/boring, if I wanted to see lots of boomers building mcmansions I’d look out my window

The NZ one is alright, but their accents leave me in stitches

I don't think I have seen any of the Aussie one as it is Pay TV only.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

paging echi

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

mystes posted:

Maybe it won't kill you but acetaminophen is a really bad drug to gently caress around with so I'm inclined to side with nbsd on this one.

overdosing on acetaminophen will absolutely kill you, in an extremely painful and drawn out way. always pay attention to other drugs you take because acetaminophen is added to all sorts of other drugs.

i've been working with my doctor on pain relief for over two years now, this isn't something i'm doing out of the blue or on my own. last year my doc said i can take acetaminophen long term, but i should never exceed 3g per day or 1g per 6 hr period, and i should only take it based on need (i should have written "i now take up to 3g per day" to make that more clear - i'm not literally taking 21g per week).

i don't tolerate nsaids anymore (ibuprofen, naproxen, topical voltaren, and even enteric coated diclofenac all cause issues). my having to stop taking ibuprofen or naproxen is what pushed me to go to the dr in the first place, we tried voltaren and diclofenac and those had the same side effects.

tramadol and codeine work well but I want to avoid these because opioids are associated with an increased risk of premature death (more than nsaids or acetaminophen), even mild ones like tramadol. the formulations I tried had me taking up to 2.4g of acetaminophen per day too so lol if i'm going to take that when acetaminophen alone takes away enough of my pain.

oxycodone does nothing for me, which is weird because i respond really well to codeine and morphine vOv

so we're going with acetaminophen (plus lifestyle changes) for now.

probably the shittiest part of getting older is the universe starts throwing you situations where you really can't win, you just chose the least-bad option.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

You Am I posted:

The NZ one is alright, but their accents leave me in stitches

I don't think I have seen any of the Aussie one as it is Pay TV only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbazGVrbN-g

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

move someplace mushrooms are legal then you can use that for pain relief

it’s still relief if your mind is too busy to register the pain right

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

I’m old and realised the only things I enjoy are a) home DIY and b) saving and investing money.

reflecting on this made me realise I need to go back on antidepressants, so stating up again today :waycool:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Gentle Autist posted:

I’m old and realised the only things I enjoy are a) home DIY and b) saving and investing money.

reflecting on this made me realise I need to go back on antidepressants, so stating up again today :waycool:

:V

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Jonny 290 posted:

NHK World. They broadcast it on a tv subcarrier here and i will turn that poo poo on and just let it mumble in the background for eighteen hours. when i get burned out i just focus on that and watch some 93 year old japanese guy pull noodles while a narrator goes "Wow! This tradition has been common in this prefecture for seventy years." i can get about 45 channels on OTA TV here and ninety percent of my tv channel time is spent on it

I'm so glad someone else is into The Nice News. Everything is a good news story about some person who does a thing well, and even if they don't do it well the reporter is excited and praises it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

theadder posted:

dr yospos

how can I help you with invertebrate zoology, evolutionary biology or taxonomy?

I'm the kind of doctor that actually had to do research instead of loafing around in medschool. :smug: