Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

CapnAndy posted:

Oh. Then I don't have any idea why they can just shoot off a quick ban in Brawl but nothing else.

nobody's having Brawl tournaments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

MTGO is a quality program

Currently stuck on this screen after my opponent conceded while I was tapping everything I own in full control.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

ptroll posted:

Currently stuck on this screen after my opponent conceded while I was tapping everything I own in full control.

MTGo play something else

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Mythic Championship VI is this weekend and it's kind of hard to adapt to a new meta and source the appropriate cards in less than a week.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Top players are trying to make money, not just have fun

Lone Goat posted:

you can't understand the mentality of people that can make tens of thousands of dollars playing a deck they don't like??

Nope which is why I don't actively try to pursue a career in hustling MTG tournament finishes

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

flatluigi posted:

Yeah it's basically a zombie format Wizards cynically shuffled out to make a Commander that sold packs by having rotation, and in paper everyone just kept playing Commander.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Eej posted:

Mythic Championship VI is this weekend and it's kind of hard to adapt to a new meta and source the appropriate cards in less than a week.

Yeah, hopefully that's the delay. I get having a slower, thoughtful approach to bans to make sure that players can't solve the problem decks, but they also need to have a policy of saying "well this is clearly hosed we need to do something asap" for Oko cases.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

flatluigi posted:

nobody's having standard tournaments either

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I wonder if the amount of Commander product they're releasing in paper over the next year will change any minds about implementing it in Arena. I know they're terrified of cannibalizing Standard, but as the Oko fiasco is teaching us, relying only on Standard has drawbacks even aside from not being able to sell a bunch of non-Standard precons in the store.

I guess one reason they probably won't be doing that, even aside from that general fear of people not buying Standard boosters anymore, is that cards made for Commander might wreck historic. On the other hand, who gives a poo poo about historic.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I just dont think 4 player mode is a good fit for software MTG. Pioneer, I'd obviously love them to reconsider it ofc.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No Wave posted:

I just dont think 4 player mode is a good fit for software MTG. Pioneer, I'd obviously love them to reconsider it ofc.

They said in the last state of - that they were working on 4 player formats, but yeah, I don't exactly see how that works in terms of just screen real estate

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

zoux posted:

They said in the last state of - that they were working on 4 player formats, but yeah, I don't exactly see how that works in terms of just screen real estate
I mean I can envision ways for it to work but it requires some intelligent design in the client and hoboy is the implementation of revealed cards or searching your library or countless others just strong evidence they're loving trash at it. I seriously find myself longing for mtgo at times and mtgo, I mean, it's mtgo.

Sinteres posted:

I wonder if the amount of Commander product they're releasing in paper over the next year will change any minds about implementing it in Arena.
Maybe. So this requires a little back story, but there was a Hasbro investment panel several years back where they talked about their two pronged goals for mtg. First was get more players. Second was squeeze more money out of players. No joke it was like "predicted growth from squeezing more money from players". I got to the chart of how much commander poo poo was being pushed next year and that panel just came flashing back. Like holy gently caress is that a lot more commander product.

Not sure they'll try it in 2020, but if that's the strategy moving forward, they must be planning something. (Also is it a little weird they seem to have already dropped the brawl decks? Commander decks based on the same set feels strongly against that)

And the Oko fiasco has happened multiple times before and they never learned from it then. Brawl seriously came out of the last season of bannings and they just let it die on the vine once Standard got back to decent.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

zoux posted:

Same as now, but with the other player's hands on the left and right, and click on the hand to see that player's board?

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

ptroll posted:

It's a bug that occurs if your opponent concedes while you're using a mana selector from a multi colored source, if you restart the client it should count the win.

I have no idea what happens in a best of 3.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

flatluigi posted:

I honestly didn't realize until this second that complaining about planeswalkers is literally all you do in this thread

what a weird gimmick
maybe he's old guard and resents having to play anti pw cards

mtg needs more permanent types imho

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

zoux posted:

They should do what Artifact does and just let you swipe to the next battlefield. Hey guys, remember Artifact???

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Blorange posted:

It's a bug that occurs if your opponent concedes while you're using a mana selector from a multi colored source, if you restart the client it should count the win.

I have no idea what happens in a best of 3.

I haven't been keeping diligent track of my rank while I learn this deck but it does look like it counted the win. So... hooray!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Wait how do you play brawl now? I don't think I have it as an option, I'd far prefer playing that to standard most of the time.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

thespaceinvader posted:

Wait how do you play brawl now? I don't think I have it as an option, I'd far prefer playing that to standard most of the time.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Is my connection playing up or are the servers dying?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

I prepared several snarky non-answers thinking this was a snarky non-answer then clicked the link in the tweet and it's only available on wednesdays?

That's dumb.

Well, I'll play some brawl tomorrow, I guess.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
okay so as a big UG fan like I bought the Simic cosmetics and everything I love simic ramp and it makes me happy my favourite colour pair is the bomb right now

but

I just did my dailies and it was really apparent that every matchup was oko or deck that tries to beat oko

and even against the latter I still won a lot of the time, even when I made big mistakes

sadly, I must admit - this is not a healthy standard format

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
you can also fight a friend in Brawl whenever you want, including a mode called 'friendly brawl' where all cards on arena are legal

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

zoux posted:

My issue with it is you're playing for 1/4 of the time and its not social. I just cant see it working.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

It sucks that my new fav format Brawl is only available on the day when I can almost never play, thanks WotC.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The MODO 5-0 league lists include almost zero Food decks, remind me why those lists are dumb and bad

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
I randomly saw that Aetherhub.com where running a free banned Oko standard tournament on Arena this Saturday. I think I will play if it's not too early for me. I am not expecting to win but should be fun - working on a Orzhov knights deck that is pretty ok.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
I did not realize there was another couple batches of storybook art cards in the store, available for 3k coins per 5

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

zoux posted:

The MODO 5-0 league lists include almost zero Food decks, remind me why those lists are dumb and bad

Of the bunch of decks that 5-0 a league they only show the ones that are more than ten cards different, right?

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Btw just played against a deck that had both Bolas and Oko as best buddies..and since I didn't control a pw I lost the game as Bolas text says. He got Okos abilities..

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

fadam posted:

Of the bunch of decks that 5-0 a league they only show the ones that are more than ten cards different, right?
They've been artificially pruning mtgo output decks since, like, at least Ixalan. I remember that specifically since they sure loved pushing RG dinos was good. I don't know if that's what is happening here, but there's all four permutations of food in the list then nothing repeats.

Falsely projecting the format is better than it is has been a wotc thing for two decades.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Also nobody opens standard packs on MTGO so Oko is $63 online atm ($44 in paper) and peaked at $92, lol.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

They've been artificially pruning mtgo output decks since, like, at least Ixalan. I remember that specifically since they sure loved pushing RG dinos was good. I don't know if that's what is happening here, but there's all four permutations of food in the list then nothing repeats.

Falsely projecting the format is better than it is has been a wotc thing for two decades.

I'm gonna need a source as hell on this one

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

zoux posted:

Simic Ramp, Sultai Food, Sultai Midrange, and my favorite "Chulane Ramp" (contains no Chulane) are all Oko/Nissa Food Decks.

Sultai Food has its Nissas in the sideboard because they use the Cat Oven combo. So yes, four different archetypes that are all centered around Goose, Oko, Nissa. No telling how many slightly different takes on these lists were omitted as they don't print the less than 10 card different lists as mentioned before.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I would play Brawl more than standard if it were a 24/7 format choice, and I'd still need standard cards for it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AngryBooch posted:

Simic Ramp, Sultai Food, Sultai Midrange, and my favorite "Chulane Ramp" (contains no Chulane) are all Oko/Nissa Food Decks.

Sultai Food has its Nissas in the sideboard because they use the Cat Oven combo. So yes, four different archetypes that are all centered around Goose, Oko, Nissa. No telling how many slightly different takes on these lists were omitted as they don't print the less than 10 card different lists as mentioned before.

Ah I see.

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

I would play Brawl more than standard if it were a 24/7 format choice, and I'd still need standard cards for it.

But just 1 card instead of 4.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

zoux posted:

But just 1 card instead of 4.

I pretty much make playsets other than the bad mythics every set anyhow. I just prefer the format to standard

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

zoux posted:

To be clear: this is exactly what you'd see if 99% of the 5-0s were the exact same build of Sultai Food, and every other deck on there got one 5-0 each.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The real question is who the gently caress is playing Standard on MTGO?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

A friend of mine still uses it for PTQ (or whatever the gently caress poo poo is called now) testing since he's already invested and keeps up with the format. He's actually good at the game so it doesn't cost much.

Except he just settled on a jund sacrifice deck for the weekend and discovered finding Korvolds locally is impossible. Oh brawl decks.