Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

The Eli Drake Show has a nice ring to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jim Cornette had to have booked the powder stuff. its right in his bag of tricks.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

LividLiquid posted:

-Super rapey Idol Stevens ad.

that was regrettable

lol at that non-diegetic music when rosa ran in, the NWA has a better women's division than the AEW

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I was a little let down by that episode but there was still plenty to enjoy, and I like that Aldis is acting like an upstanding guy but coincidentally keeps giving his opponents ultimatums that basically gently caress them over. Tim Storm can't ever challenge him for the belt again, he set up James Storm in a lose/lose situation where either way James is at risk of losing his own title belt etc.

I didn't think much of the women's match but I'm already intrigued by Thunder Rosa

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Aldis comes off like a genuine "mental chess" player who is just out thinking people. Not screwing them, just working them into a situation where they should say "no" because the deal is uneven, but their pride/competitive spirit wins out.

I'm also not totally clear on Eli Drake's motivations for why he just is randomly deciding to give pep talks to people that don't seem to benefit him. Which is why I've settled on he has a secret about the Storms and is trying to win their trust for the big reveal.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It seems to me that Drake is playing his own game of trying to look like an upstanding guy so he can position himself to best take advantage at the most opportune time. If I recall correctly, his dealings with Aldis have been to continually praise him only for the fact he is the current holder of the title, effectively lauding the title itself (which makes it look valuable, which is good!) but not actually saying anything about Aldis personally distinct from the qualities the belts gives him.

Edit: As I've said before, it's very straightforward and simple stuff but that is a large part of why it works so well. There's no need to overcomplicate it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, they basically have a product simply built around "titles have prestigious, people want titles, and fight for title opportunities."

Its revolutionary.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

I didn't think much of the women's match but I'm already intrigued by Thunder Rosa

Thunder Rosa is someone I like a lot and want to see have a national contract.

Her tag team with Holidead under the name Twisted Sisterz went being very shakey at one stage to one of the best acts in indie wrestling.

I know William Regal had a long conversation with her at the Wrestlemania SHIMMER which prompted a lot of speculation WWE would sign her.

Runs her own indie promotion in Texas and this year became a US citizen. There's a bunch of other stuff you can glean from her Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunder_Rosa

Overall an admirable person who is just trying to earn a crust from Pro Wrestling advance herself.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

I was a little let down by that episode but there was still plenty to enjoy, and I like that Aldis is acting like an upstanding guy but coincidentally keeps giving his opponents ultimatums that basically gently caress them over. Tim Storm can't ever challenge him for the belt again, he set up James Storm in a lose/lose situation where either way James is at risk of losing his own title belt etc.

Yes, to all that.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

oh but seriously I posted:

lol at that non-diegetic music when rosa ran in, the NWA has a better women's division than the AEW

thunder rosa looks cool but so far the women of nwa haven't been much better than the aew women imo. that match wasn't very good. their character work was better than the aew women thou. I think impact or wwe (thou they only use the same like 6) have the best women wrestlers right now.

thought that episode was better than last week. I like what they're doing with the storylines. matches haven't stood out to me in a large way yet but they're entertaining most of the time.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I meant to watch 10 minutes of this today to put the viewcount up but then I watched the whole thing. Easy to get lost in. I liked the opening promo with Storm, Cabana, and Drake.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
Colt Cabana just looks thrilled to be here.

"Mr. Cabana!"
"Cabana!"

"And Mr. Anderson!"
"Cabana!"

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I never watched Impact when Eli Drake was there so I have no real prior opinion of him, but I really love that his role seems to just be a constant poo poo stirrer. He just shows up in other people's promos and tells them why they should be mad at someone else or antagonizes one person to challenge another. It's loving hilarious and I really enjoy it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ganso Bomb posted:

I never watched Impact when Eli Drake was there so I have no real prior opinion of him, but I really love that his role seems to just be a constant poo poo stirrer. He just shows up in other people's promos and tells them why they should be mad at someone else or antagonizes one person to challenge another. It's loving hilarious and I really enjoy it.

He was almost impossibly bland in TNA. I'm legit shocked at how well he's turned around.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

Ganso Bomb posted:

I was trying to understand what his endgame in all this is every time he comes out when he's not even supposed to be involved but if they're going to play it up that he's just messing poo poo up in everybody's business, that would be funny. he's definitely a great talker so it works out.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

DuhSal posted:

I was trying to understand what his endgame in all this is every time he comes out when he's not even supposed to be involved but if they're going to play it up that he's just messing poo poo up in everybody's business, that would be funny. he's definitely a great talker so it works out.

I mean, in the past two weeks he has:
- Talked his way into a tag team with a former World Champion in an (unsuccessful) effort to work toward the Tag Team Titles
- Talked some other guys into having a match where the secondary title in the company could possibly be vacated (again, unsuccessfully)

It seems like he's trying to get himself a title shot through ridiculously unconventional means, or at least that's how I'm reading it. Who knows if that's the true intention or what, but after hearing about how bad he was in Impact I'm finding myself pleasantly surprised at how much I'm enjoying him here.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

Ganso Bomb posted:

I mean, in the past two weeks he has:
- Talked his way into a tag team with a former World Champion in an (unsuccessful) effort to work toward the Tag Team Titles
- Talked some other guys into having a match where the secondary title in the company could possibly be vacated (again, unsuccessfully)

It seems like he's trying to get himself a title shot through ridiculously unconventional means, or at least that's how I'm reading it. Who knows if that's the true intention or what, but after hearing about how bad he was in Impact I'm finding myself pleasantly surprised at how much I'm enjoying him here.

Didn't pick up on that, that's pretty clever (and somewhat subtle for most wrestling really) if that's what they're doing.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Eli Drake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJRL5iXg8Qo

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://www.nationalwrestlingalliance.com/news/statement-by-national-wrestling-alliance-on-jim-cornette

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

smart of them to design a form letter for that

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nwa is cancelled

sign kamille, coward tony

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I'm very happy to see my boy Trevor Murdoch on the regular again. He satisfies my desire to see barrel shaped middle aged men punching other people.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i am ready to feel the powerrr

gently caress off jim cornette

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ugh. Colt.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
hahaha the official Ric Flair youtube account is watching and distracting the live chat

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

gently caress shakespeare, apparently

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

"Petitioned the NWA." aka "Asked Billy."

Jesus, Stevens sucks.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

got a game before AEW

edit: the dawson's offence is p. meaty

gently caress off jim cornette

Trying fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 6, 2019

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I wonder if Homicide doesn't talk because he just knows Kingston should do the talking or because they think Kingston is marginally less likely to start cursing up a storm.

Of course its not live, but still.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

thunder rosa works snug and has a cool tilt-a-whirl backbreaker

i do not fully understand the music thing but i do not hate it

Trying fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 6, 2019

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Well that was...awkward.

Good match tho!

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i manage to edit my old post rather than reply but it was mostly praise for storm & aldis

oh, a swerve

edit: i predict stevens will lose in a swift fashion

edit: what is with orange santa?

Trying fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 6, 2019

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

What the gently caress are with those flesh colored trunks

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

The flesh colored trunks are uh quite a choice

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh God, he's still wearing the nude trunks.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

stevens' barbie doll crotch was p. much the only thing of note, total nothing of a match

edit: reusing the same advert twice is not ideal

edit: eli drake continues to play 6 dimensional backgammon

Trying fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 6, 2019

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

stevens' barbie doll crotch was p. much the only thing of note, total nothing of a match

edit: reusing the same advert twice is not ideal

edit: eli drake continues to play 6 dimensional backgammon

However I am interested in a new wrestling video game I hadn't heard of before.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

smikey posted:

However I am interested in a new wrestling video game I hadn't heard of before.

it currently has a totally weirdo roster

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

it currently has a totally weirdo roster
I think you mean the best possible roster, I absolutely love that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Finally, someone comes up with the idea to create a wrestling game that just already has all the random rear end CAWs you don't really want enough to seek out but totally still want to add once you remember they exist.