Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

Sarah posted:

Sorry should have been more clear. It’s not a state to state thing for the VA loan fee exemption. If you’re 10%, fees are waived. We just bought a house and used a VA loan and looked into it.

Yeah, that saved me almost $13k in fees. Plus you save if you do a IRRRL down the line to lower your rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Goddamn these VA e-mail blasts are clickbaity. Ooooh, I can get an RWB shirt for free!! (Just add $5 for shipping and handling) I'll never have to wear my McNally shirt again now that I can get one of those babies.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Ceiling fan posted:

Goddamn these VA e-mail blasts are clickbaity. Ooooh, I can get an RWB shirt for free!! (Just add $5 for shipping and handling) I'll never have to wear my McNally shirt again now that I can get one of those babies.

I saw that too. I was wondering what the heck that was about.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

ya I just seemingly started getting an uptick of those from nowhere

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I know it has been brought up in this thread or elsewhere here but getting a free lifetime National Parks Service access pass is available if you have a 10%+ disability rating or a free annual pass if you're still in (and includes SELRES but not IRR)

For the lifetime access pass:
https://www.blogs.va.gov/VAntage/60590/disabled-veterans-eligible-free-national-park-service-lifetime-access-pass/

https://store.usgs.gov/access-pass

You can either pay $10 to do it online or by mail or free in-person. Once you pay the :tenbux: you upload the VA summary of benefits letter and a photo ID and get it in the mail in about a month.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

One of those things that cannot be posted enough. Always good to have the reminder and have it ready to go when ya have that impromptu trip! Though, as said before, you can do it there at the booths and such.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Nick Soapdish posted:

I know it has been brought up in this thread or elsewhere here but getting a free lifetime National Parks Service access pass is available if you have a 10%+ disability rating or a free annual pass if you're still in (and includes SELRES but not IRR)

For the lifetime access pass:
https://www.blogs.va.gov/VAntage/60590/disabled-veterans-eligible-free-national-park-service-lifetime-access-pass/

https://store.usgs.gov/access-pass

You can either pay $10 to do it online or by mail or free in-person. Once you pay the :tenbux: you upload the VA summary of benefits letter and a photo ID and get it in the mail in about a month.

Doing it in person is very easy. It was offseason at Yellowstone but it took all of five minutes to do it. A lot of parks have a visitor center just outside the park so you can get it and immediately use it.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
Speaking of VA loans, I just read an article saying that the federal government signed a law to remove the cap on it. You can borrow up to whatever you can afford to pay with zero down payment.

Million dollar condos for all my friends!

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah

Zero VGS posted:

Wait a minute, so you can take the post-911 getting BAH until the last month or two, then switch to Voc Rehab and they'll still pay BAH? For how much longer?

Just dont use all of your GI Bill months.

I left two months on it and moved onto Voc Rehab, which pays for my schooling until im done (i get BAH for the zip same as post 9-11 for not using all of the GI Bill months).

I also got a laptop and printer.

Pretty sweet deal and its saved my rear end as I had a kid 6 months ago. GI bill is 36 months so its getting me through my last year of school (3 months left and im done). SO basically the holidays will be opkay and the its real career time. Which im scared about but with my Army background and network security skillsets i hope im okay.

Also they help with job placement as well as paying while in a internship position (up to an amount).

Also sorry for the late response, like I said. Baby.

Fuckin' baby. lol

all apologies fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 7, 2019

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Sarah posted:

Sorry should have been more clear. It’s not a state to state thing for the VA loan fee exemption. If you’re 10%, fees are waived. We just bought a house and used a VA loan and looked into it.

I'm sure you guys all have gotten your letters in the mail, but if you're like me and you got rated AFTER you got a VA loan, they're sending you a fat rear end check with the refund amount. 5k just airdropped into my bank account today after I got the letter Saturday.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Grem posted:

I'm sure you guys all have gotten your letters in the mail, but if you're like me and you got rated AFTER you got a VA loan, they're sending you a fat rear end check with the refund amount. 5k just airdropped into my bank account today after I got the letter Saturday.

I had no idea this was a thing.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

drat I’d love $5k to drop into my account

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
https://gallery.mailchimp.com/dad24..._eid=a3e300165d

quote:

Scholarship Opportunity

American Australian Association (AAA) Veteran Scholarships
USA to Australia Veteran Scholarship Opportunities are open from September 1st – October 15. The scholarship provides support of up to US $40,000 to honorably discharged post 9/11 American military veterans, undertaking or interested in undertaking Undergraduate or Graduate level study for one-year full-time at an accredited institution in Australia.

Applicants may be studying in any disciplinary field and applicants do not have to have an offer from an accredited institution at the time of application, but should be actively looking at institutions in Australia. Successful applicants have up to two years to find placement, receive an offer from an institution and use the funds. You can read more about this scholarship and apply here.

$40k scholarship to go get a degree in Australia for American veterans. Pussy and beer up to you when you get there.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

My mortgage company called and said that i qual for a VA home loan rate reduction.
Any insight on this? Said it's only for VA underwritten loans, and that it's offered after X amount of on time payments.
It doesn't scream scam the way poo poo normally does, so I figured I'd ask here.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

bulletsponge13 posted:

My mortgage company called and said that i qual for a VA home loan rate reduction.
Any insight on this? Said it's only for VA underwritten loans, and that it's offered after X amount of on time payments.
It doesn't scream scam the way poo poo normally does, so I figured I'd ask here.

There are some scams along with that, but that doesn't necessarily mean your mortgage company is trying to gently caress you. If it was your actual mortgage holder contacting you, it might be legit. Here's info from the VA https://www.benefits.va.gov/homeloans/irrrl.asp

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

bulletsponge13 posted:

Are you sure it was actually your mortgage company?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Godholio posted:

Are you sure it was actually your mortgage company?

Yep, confirmed independently.

I mean, I get poo poo from people all the time, amd typically trash/hang up. The fact that this dude is from my company makes me somehow less suspicious, but more wary? Don't know if that makes sense.

Has anyone used the IRRRL program? What should I expect?

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 5, 2019

Ishvara
Dec 10, 2009

When I die, I hope to go to Heaven, whatever the Hell that is.

bulletsponge13 posted:

Has anyone used the IRRRL program? What should I expect?

I haven't personally, but I have a buddy that did it. He said it was sort of a huge pain to get done, but was worth it in the end. His was a rental property however, and from what I remember you actually have to have lived in the home at some point. He also had to change the term of his loan from 30 to 20 I believe. He mentioned that it's going to save him a ton in the long run, so if your lender is the one suggesting it I'd go ahead and just see what their thoughts on it are.

The Alpha Centauri
Feb 15, 2019
Can I see a psychiatrist outside the VA for an evaluation/second opinion regarding diagnosis/medication?

Recently got a new psychiatrist. When he looked at my medication history, he was baffled - even disturbed - by what my old psychiatrist had me on.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The Alpha Centauri posted:

Can I see a psychiatrist outside the VA for an evaluation/second opinion regarding diagnosis/medication?

Recently got a new psychiatrist. When he looked at my medication history, he was baffled - even disturbed - by what my old psychiatrist had me on.

On the VA's dollar, I dunno. Did you ever deploy anywhere you received hazardous duty pay? If so, you're a "combat veteran" even if you never saw combat. I am a combat veteran, and the most I did is circles in the Northern Arabian Gulf near Iraqi oil wells, and I'm a combat veteran according to the VA. If you are a CV, you have free access to the Vet Center. It has mental health professionals that can provide you that second opinion.

The Alpha Centauri
Feb 15, 2019

Mr. Nice! posted:

On the VA's dollar, I dunno. Did you ever deploy anywhere you received hazardous duty pay? If so, you're a "combat veteran" even if you never saw combat. I am a combat veteran, and the most I did is circles in the Northern Arabian Gulf near Iraqi oil wells, and I'm a combat veteran according to the VA. If you are a CV, you have free access to the Vet Center. It has mental health professionals that can provide you that second opinion.

yeah, couple dpeloyments cib, campaign ribbons etc etc

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

yeah, couple dpeloyments cib, campaign ribbons etc etc

So google your city vet center and give them a call. My local one can get people in same day a lot of times.

The Alpha Centauri
Feb 15, 2019

Mr. Nice! posted:

So google your city vet center and give them a call. My local one can get people in same day a lot of times.

thanks, doing that right now. looking at the staff at my local center, i don't see any MDs, just "counselors".

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

thanks, doing that right now. looking at the staff at my local center, i don't see any MDs, just "counselors".

Even if they can't write a script, they can concur or disagree with what your new VA psychiatrist is saying, plus they have access to VA records and can communicate with them.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Mr. Nice! posted:

I had literally no idea this was an option, this is good info.

The Alpha Centauri
Feb 15, 2019

Mr. Nice! posted:

Even if they can't write a script, they can concur or disagree with what your new VA psychiatrist is saying, plus they have access to VA records and can communicate with them.

not looking for meds.

specifically think there may have been some mismanagement with what they have given me in the past, and with current diagnosis

definitely going to check them out and see if they can do a psych assessment and whether their results jive with my current one

thanks

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Seconding that Vet Centers are cool and good.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I'm having a hard time deciding on whether to apply for an MBA program round 2 and starting in Fall 2020 or waiting until Round 1 to start in Fall 2021 to improve my application. Studying for the GMAT has been on and off this year due to spending 4 months in the field during a 9 month period.

I have 100% GI Bill that would cover this particular schools MBA program.

However if I wait to apply round 1 for Fall 2021 start date, I'll be turning 34 when I start the program and about to turn 36 when I graduate. Most of my junior CPT peers on the other hand are late 20s going into an MBA.

My GMAT score isn't where I want it to be in order to offset my 2.9 GPA, I'm trying to get a 700+ but studying off and on between field exercises only got me to the mid 600s.

I'm in my final 2 months of active duty and I don't THINK they're going to send me to the field again so I've been studying hard but I don't know if I can pull off a 700 before round 2 closes.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Mustang posted:

I'm having a hard time deciding on whether to apply for an MBA program round 2 and starting in Fall 2020 or waiting until Round 1 to start in Fall 2021 to improve my application. Studying for the GMAT has been on and off this year due to spending 4 months in the field during a 9 month period.

However if I wait to apply round 1 for Fall 2021 start date, I'll be turning 34 when I start the program and about to turn 36 when I graduate. Most of my junior CPT peers on the other hand are late 20s going into an MBA.

My GMAT score isn't where I want it to be in order to offset my 2.9 GPA, I'm trying to get a 700+ but studying off and on between field exercises only got me to the mid 600s.

I'm in my final 2 months of active duty and I don't THINK they're going to send me to the field again so I've been studying hard but I don't know if I can pull off a 700 before round 2 closes.

Do it and dominate/intimidate the young'uns. Also, interested in law at all? Quite a few schools do 4 year JD/MBA programs. It at least staves off the real world for an extra couple years....

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Are there jobs in law yet? Word on the street was that it was a very expensive program for placement into homelessness.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Godholio posted:

Are there jobs in law yet? Word on the street was that it was a very expensive program for placement into homelessness.

I got a JD through the GI Bill (old school) and I sure as poo poo ain't homeless. 'Course I'm just a run of the mill bureaucrat for the VA, so's I reckon I'm part of the problem.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If you became a lawyer prior to 2005, odds are you're still doing alright and are comfortable. If you became a lawyer anytime after, jobs are scarce and pay is garbage.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I'm not at all interested in being a lawyer or anything legal related.

I'm interested in an MBA because it's essentially a guaranteed 6 figure income, especially the program I want to get into.

Plus I like managing people/teams and I think I'm pretty good at it.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Mustang posted:

Buy a reputable GMAT study program. Yes buy so that you are fully committed. My friend applied and got rejected from most his skills. Dropped a few k for GMAT prep and some MBA veteran application consulting and now he is attending a top 5 program for free using VOCREHAB. GMAT is everything if you're a veteran. They know the GPA is from a long time ago and you're a different person now but the GMAT shows your aptitude.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I have the Veritas Prep online GMAT study guide which is like $700. They do admissions advising too, discount for already having the GMAT prep course.

I'm thinking of applying for the evening MBA as well, same degree but easier to get into but takes a year longer to get.

I'll be able to work while doing it though, which would be nice. Even with 100% GI bill I'm pretty sure I'd still have to get a loan unless I wanted to live like a pauper or dip into my savings or investments.

Seattle isn't as expensive as the Bay Area but it still ain't cheap by any means.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
If you've filed a disability claim with the VA, did you do it directly, or go through a third party? I waited a long time to file because I thought there were folks who needed to get in line before me, but I do want to put something in at some point. I started a claim online, and have attached all of my medical records from my time in (do I need the full thing, or just the stuff pertinent to what I'm filing for?)

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Go through a VSO. I went to the my state veteran’s office (which has a location inside my local VA regional office) and it was completely painless. Other orgs might be good, I’m sure others can share their experiences.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I used DAV when I came off active in 2012 and off mobilization in 2017. It was so much easier 5 years later and they were great to work with. Then again mine was simple claims like tinnitus and foot issues so ymmv

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Yeah, mine is nothing too crazy, just some knee and back issues (which is why I felt there were people more in need than I was.)

Thanks for the info guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
Yeah it’s a bit of a crapshoot as to what the best VSO in your area may be (DAV, VFW, state agency, etc.), but it’s absolutely worth going through one of them when submitting a claim. Remember that your claim is going into a massive bureaucratic machine. The presence or absence of very specific words and phrases might end up being the difference between a claim that sails through and one that requires an appeal.

The whole process is supposed to be massively streamlined from what it was even a decade ago, but still, give yourself every advantage possible.