Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Freudian slippers posted:

Thanks for the quick reply! I thought I had to sell him the claw in order to have him craft the trinket? Is there a separate crafting menu or must I do something else in order to unlock crafting?

Oh whoops, it's been a while. You're on the right track, but you need a couple more items to make the talisman. I'm not sure if you can look them up in game or not, but there are recipe lists floating around out there that'll tell you what all you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Question for anyone who was getting the stuttering/freezing issue: is it still happening? I’m about 5-6 missions into chapter 2 and it’s gradually gotten better to the point where it’s hardly happening at all now, maybe one or twice an hour. First time through Valentine was the roughest, that took about 30 minutes for 5 minutes of gameplay, but now it seems okay?

I’ve tried a few of the posted solutions like turning off CPU cores and the like, and none actually helped.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Thanks again! If I understand you right, the crafting options (which tell me which materials I need) won't show up until I have the materials? That's a bit weird?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
This game is just as slow and methodical that I hoped it would be.

Coming out from a recent GTA V playthrough, I’ve gotten a bit of whiplash because the quality in world building and writing is astounding, when compared to GTA. I am incredibly happy that this is so much more than “GTA with horses!”

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Just finished downloading. Set the graphics presets to the highest and got 13 fps min and 55 avg on the benchmark. knocked the preset down 2 and now the benchmark isn't running. too drunk and tired to start a game. what's up?

16 g ram

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Thanks again! If I understand you right, the crafting options (which tell me which materials I need) won't show up until I have the materials? That's a bit weird?

Booted up to remind myself how this works :v:

Go to fence, you should have a craft option under the sell and buy options. Choose that and you'll see which parts you need to make each trinket.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
I can't even get past the launcher. :suicide:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Wheezle posted:

Same, we're not alone at least. I just want to know how my PC will run it, get my feet wet a little :(

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Currently waiting for the game to decrypt and download the update so I can find out if I can get the game to load or not. Still keen as mustard to get into the game though.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Wheezle posted:

Make sure you try the usual steps: turn off antivirus, run as admin etc

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

JosefStalinator posted:

How anyone could play a game with any shooting element with a controller is beyond my ability :(

I feel like this game is the prime example of this. I played it on X-box for a bit but the gunplay was so lovely and sluggish that I just stopped and prayed to baphomet that they'd release it on PC. And sure enough, things like "having to fight 2 or more things in the open" went from annoyingly difficult to enjoyable when I could actually accurately swing my gun around to more than one target before getting shot dead :v: .

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I can't play this game with a mouse and keyboard at all, the sheer amount of buttons makes me feel like I'm at the controls of a Star Destroyer

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I wonder if mods will ever be able to change the weapon / item wheel to make it easier to quickly select particular weapons etc.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

BgRdMchne posted:

Just finished downloading. Set the graphics presets to the highest and got 13 fps min and 55 avg on the benchmark. knocked the preset down 2 and now the benchmark isn't running. too drunk and tired to start a game. what's up?

16 g ram

Only 1 benchmark per purchase. Sorry.

There is apparently a bug where you can only run the benchmark once, and then you have to restart the game in order to run it again.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

I said come in! posted:

someone decided to keep killing me while yelling racial slurs over voice chat. :v:

That's the true wild west experience.

I'm disappointed that Dutch doesn't say "cocksucker" as much as I hoped. Game is still great though.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Came across a man being mauled by a wolf. After bungling around in Deadeye, I finally shot the wolf in the rear end and made it run away. Offered the man some medicine, which he angrily slapped out of my hand before croaking. I then tried to calm down my skittish horse, pressed the wrong button and socked her in the jaw. 10/10 GOTY.

Also, can anyone tell me if there's a way to see if I'm wearing appropriate clothing for the temperature? An icon or something? I sometimes get a message saying I'm too hot, but it disappears quickly. I know how to check the temperature, but don't know if I'm correctly dressed for it.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Came across a man being mauled by a wolf. After bungling around in Deadeye, I finally shot the wolf in the rear end and made it run away. Offered the man some medicine, which he angrily slapped out of my hand before croaking. I then tried to calm down my skittish horse, pressed the wrong button and socked her in the jaw. 10/10 GOTY.

Also, can anyone tell me if there's a way to see if I'm wearing appropriate clothing for the temperature? An icon or something? I sometimes get a message saying I'm too hot, but it disappears quickly. I know how to check the temperature, but don't know if I'm correctly dressed for it.

By hitting ALT you'll bring up the HUD which will tell you what the temperature is at. If you're too hot or too cold for a climate, a little icon (either a sun or a snowflake) will flash over your health core. Certain pieces of clothing will also tell you how warm they are, so while you can sometimes wear a jacket out in Rhodes, wearing a heavier fur one will get you hotter faster. You just gotta gauge it on your own. It's not too big a deal in my experience.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Game is still stuttering hard for me even after the fix. Instead of pausing for 30 seconds at a time, now it does it for a few seconds at a time more frequently. And DX12 works a bit better, but starts giving me some crazy bright red and green particle effects in the opening snowstorm (which is maybe my poor 970 saying "no mas"). Whomp.

Edit: trying again in Vulkan with slightly reduced settings, and it appears that the hard stuttering and such is only happening at the beginning of gameplay stretches (and in cutscenes). Once things get going, it's buttery smooth.

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 6, 2019

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Thank you, that makes sense. I guess the icon was just too small for me to notice before it went away. It was IMO a good decision to limit the amount of information on the screen. It feels much more immersive this way.

Fake edit: Came across two campers, accidentally aimed gun at one of them while trying to target him for a greeting, tried and failed to defuse the situation and now they're vulture lunch :shrug:

Ikonoklast
Nov 16, 2007

A beacon for the liars and blind.
Ive got an error thats obviously a broken save. Game has worked flawlessy all the way up to a certain point, where i get a crash after the loading picture reel finishes. Trouble is i cant reload any alternate save since this is autosave/checkpoint only?

Ikonoklast fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Nov 6, 2019

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Never mind what I said earlier, this thing hitches loving terribly. Good lord.

Ikonoklast
Nov 16, 2007

Ikonoklast posted:

Ive got an error thats obviously a broken save. Game has worked flawlessy all the way up to a certain point, where i get a crash after the loading picture reel finishes. Trouble is i cant reload any alternate save since this is autosave/checkpoint only?

Just verified my error by that I can play the online mode without problems, but it crashes on load in singleplayer. Also there seem to be no way to restart the singleplayer or load another save? I guess the developers are inspired by Kafkas the Trial.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Toaster Beef posted:

Had me a fun time trying to hunt deer for what felt like an hour, pulling back the bow only for the game to freeze and then unfreeze as Arthur's arm was worn out. Rinse, repeat, over and over again.

Port's fine except for all the hitching (and crashing for some of you), like my framerate seems like it'd be good if they sort that one problem out.

Ikonoklast
Nov 16, 2007

Ikonoklast posted:

Just verified my error by that I can play the online mode without problems, but it crashes on load in singleplayer. Also there seem to be no way to restart the singleplayer or load another save? I guess the developers are inspired by Kafkas the Trial.

If anyone experience the same problem as me. You can restart the progress by opening the save game folder, under settings in the rockstar launcher, and deleting all the files there. It will reset your progress. However you must ofcourse determine yourself if its worth the hassle to do everything over.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

OK what the hell

as a last resort attempt, I thought I'd DOWNGRADE my bios, as some people reported it working this way

and it does

actually no, it gives a new and more exciting error message, but at least the launcher doesn't crash anymore

MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Ryzen 2600X
16 GB Ram
EVGA 1080 FTW

I had the "new" bios which has no graphics (because they couldn't fit it togheter with new 3XXX CPU support), I went back to an old version - 7B85v16 - and now the game just tells me that it doesn't have permission to access some folder, and I think I can solve that relatively easily

so it appears, at least from users with AMD cpus and mobos, that bios really is the culprit - you must either get an old (pre-1.0.0.3 AGESA) or new (1.0.0.4 AGESA) version, and 1.0.0.4 it's not even available for all mobos, that's why I had to go the downgrade route

:confused: first time I have a bios update be actually important for running stuff... it's weird

Edit: permission thing solved by running the launcher as administrator, how in the hell did they manage to gently caress up THIS hard? :rockstar: well now I can get in game, but I have to go to work like, right now :( will be playing (I hope) this evening...

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Nov 6, 2019

Autistic Speculum
Apr 9, 2009

Toaster Beef posted:

I was having the same issues. I'm using process lasso, and I limit rdrd2.exe to 97% and reduce by 1 core. Haven't had a stutter since. There are some posts on r/PCRedDead with other tweaks.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

TorakFade posted:

OK what the hell

as a last resort attempt, I thought I'd DOWNGRADE my bios, as some people reported it working this way

and it does

actually no, it gives a new and more exciting error message, but at least the launcher doesn't crash anymore

MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Ryzen 2600X
16 GB Ram
EVGA 1080 FTW

I had the "new" bios which has no graphics (because they couldn't fit it togheter with new 3XXX CPU support), I went back to an old version - 7B85v16 - and now the game just tells me that it doesn't have permission to access some folder, and I think I can solve that relatively easily

so it appears, at least from users with AMD cpus and mobos, that bios really is the culprit - you must either get an old (pre-1.0.0.3 AGESA) or new (1.0.0.4 AGESA) version, and 1.0.0.4 it's not even available for all mobos, that's why I had to go the downgrade route

:confused: first time I have a bios update be actually important for running stuff... it's weird

Edit: permission thing solved by running the launcher as administrator, how in the hell did they manage to gently caress up THIS hard? :rockstar: well now I can get in game, but I have to go to work like, right now :( will be playing (I hope) this evening...

Interesting, I have the B450 Tomahawk so I would have to go the same route as you, but honestly I will just wait. Not gonna downgrade my BIOS to fix their poo poo.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Autistic Speculum posted:

I was having the same issues. I'm using process lasso, and I limit rdrd2.exe to 97% and reduce by 1 core. Haven't had a stutter since. There are some posts on r/PCRedDead with other tweaks.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll give that a shot. Switching back to DX12 now that I'm out of the opening snowstorm seems to have worked somewhat, but the hitching's still happening in bits and spurts. Will report back.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Ikonoklast posted:

Trouble is i cant reload any alternate save since this is autosave/checkpoint only?

You can do manual saves. Worth doing one every so often.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I had the launcher dying bug and it got fixed by updating my graphics drivers. The graphics are beautiful but I'm having a bit of difficulty adjusting to the controls, but that's probably just me.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Also getting the hitching bugs, and the benchmark nearly died when it was going through the town. I've heard that setting down all the volumetric and reflections settings can help a lot. Haven't tested it out yet, but it seems to make sense and I haven't seen it mentioned here yet. Goodluck cowpokes

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Had some teething troubles initially - crashed at the first animation, the one with the smoke plumes. Already had the latest Nvidia drivers installed at that time.

Set the .exe to admin rights and deactivated full screen optimizations. Did not help.

Updated my Asus Z390 board to the latest Bios. Did nothing.

Deactivated Avast anti-virus. That fixed it.

----------------------------------------------

Still messing around with the controls and trying to find an ideal graphics setting. Also there is no way to change the game language, unless I set my Windows to the language I want. German Windows, but I play most of my games in English, cause of better voice acting and every drat game has a language slider or at least a command parameter. Only this game does not. And it also cannot be set in the Rockstar launcher.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
The little details in this game are weird. There's a tree west of Wallace station with pots and pans hanging on it and a kettle at the base.

Also, hope they clear the bugs up for PC players. I've been playing this game almost non-stop since launch and that is incredibly rare for me. The only other game I've spent this much time on is Witcher 3.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
It's amazing to me how much this game has forced many people to update parts of their PC (myself included). I don't think AC: Odyssey had this kind of trouble.

e: And for those who may have missed it, we've got a Discord for the PC folks: https://discord.gg/yRkJgbk Be sure to join us.

Transmogrifier fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Nov 6, 2019

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

Two important questions about this game on PC (keyboard and mouse):

Can you still quick-draw directly into dead eye (the duel mechanic?)

Can you still double tap holster to have Arthur do the fancy gun twirl when you holster your pistol?

have you seen my baby fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 6, 2019

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Made it past the launcher but got this error. Tried everything short of reinstalling Windows itself. At this point I'll take bugs and lag over not even being able to load the game once :suicide:

Ikonoklast
Nov 16, 2007

fuf posted:

You can do manual saves. Worth doing one every so often.

Yeah i found out after restarting. Trouble being you can only access the saves ingame, and not in the main menu. Which broke it for me.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Ham posted:

Interesting, I have the B450 Tomahawk so I would have to go the same route as you, but honestly I will just wait. Not gonna downgrade my BIOS to fix their poo poo.

Yeah it makes no sense at all, but unfortunately I do want to play this pretty badly and since I don't have a 3XXX CPU I don't mind going back to the old bios; things always worked smoothly for me with this hardware anyway, I kept it updated more out of habit than anything else.

But to gently caress up a launch SO MUCH that apparently random things fix it (for someone it's disabling AV software, for some upgrading BIOS, or downgrading BIOS, or giving launcher / game administrator privileges, or spinning three times while praying to the Elder Gods ...) is pretty bad for a company the size of Rockstar

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

This is like that Fallout 76 meme but instead of paying a $100 sub for single player you pay $100 to spend all morning doing nothing then go to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
I noticed that their launcher doesn't support a friends list (as far as I can tell) or anything like that. If you want to add new friends, you have to go to the website and invite them via email or through other social accounts. It's a real hassle.