Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

The ASOB Three Cheers for Disappointment LP repress is actually a thing now, and not something Rosenstock has been hinting about forever:

http://reallyrecords.bigcartel.com/product/the-arrogant-sons-of-bitches-three-cheers-for-disappointment-lp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

esperantinc posted:

The ASOB Three Cheers for Disappointment LP repress is actually a thing now, and not something Rosenstock has been hinting about forever:

http://reallyrecords.bigcartel.com/product/the-arrogant-sons-of-bitches-three-cheers-for-disappointment-lp

Almost makes me regret paying $100 for my copy a few years ago. Actually, no it doesn't. This is my favorite record of all time and everyone should buy it.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Monday_ posted:

Almost makes me regret paying $100 for my copy a few years ago. Actually, no it doesn't. This is my favorite record of all time and everyone should buy it.

Coincidentally I am listening to this album right now and can confirm that everyone should buy it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/jeffrosenstock/status/1185054589743194112?s=21

It's also up on Spotify/Apple Music/etc.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/jeffrosenstock/status/1186301028230221825?s=21

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

oh yeah that's the good stuff

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Throwdown 22 supporting acts announced

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Suicide Machines were literally my first concert/show ever, if I saw them live now I would instantly age and crumble to dust like the guy at the end of The Last Crusade

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Everything but Big D rules.

Also it's a big d opener set so it's not the worst thing. Good year.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

4pm start on Sunday with only one opener, that might mean that Big D is getting a longer set or maybe, just maybe, they're gonna do some secret cool thing for the Devil's Night Out 30th anniversary.

In all actuality it's just gonna mean that the show is gonna end at like 8 but a man can dream

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Last year they only had one opener for the sunday matinee show

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fateo McMurray posted:

Everything but Big D rules.

Never been a big fan either but I like NNH and Quiet Room.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Fateo McMurray posted:

Last year they only had one opener for the sunday matinee show

The matinee opener was that band of kids that only played a like 20 minute set, I imagine they'd give Big D a bit of a longer leash and then still play their full set

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm legit kind of amazed Big D is still around, although I guess ska bands are known for hanging around. I wonder if they still all bum around Allston all the time.

Smegbot
Jul 13, 2006

Mon the Biffy!
Not only are they still around, they just released a covers EP: https://bigdandthekidstableofficial.bandcamp.com/album/strictly-covered

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Oh cool, a bunch of ska covers of ska songs

Streetlight's cover of Punk Rock Girl >>>>>>>> Big D's cover of Punk Rock Girl

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Oh cool, a bunch of ska covers of ska songs

Streetlight's cover of Punk Rock Girl >>>>>>>> Big D's cover of Punk Rock Girl

None of them compare to BTMI's

http://quoteunquoterecords.com/punk.mp3

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

three operation ivy covers

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
There are a bunch of good songs covered on this and they are all markedly worse than the originals.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I just put on Scrambles and I had to turn it off because it made me too sad :(

It was bad enough that I could intimately relate to 25 and It Shits when I was 24, the fact that I still intimately relate to that album at 34 is just :smithicide:

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

if you're 37 and listen to All Ages Shows you instantly turn into dust

because i was in trashed room in 1996 talking to my green day posters and then in a flash i'm my parents

i also just want to blast the descendants
(jeff is also 37 and every year he keeps putting out poo poo that is laser targeted at the aging millenial in the 80-85 range)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Descendents started out in 1977

Don't sweat it, at least half the stuff I listen to was made before I was born (1990).

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It's not about listening to bands that are now Old, it's more about how it feels more and more like Jeff was really writing Emo For Millenials instead of Emo For People In Their 20's, if that makes sense

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

people in their 20s when scrambles came out are millenials, hth

it's almost like the problems we were suffering 10 years ago are still relevant

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Shabadu posted:

people in their 20s when scrambles came out are millenials, hth

it's almost like the problems we were suffering 10 years ago are still relevant

Yeah man, that's what I was trying to express. No need for hostility.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
I wake up and go to work just like I went to school (on the commute it's BTMI on Spotify instead of blink 182 on my discman). Then I go home and play video games for seven hours while talking to my friends on the computer and rarely ever seeing them in real life. Being an overgrown child rules and sucks so loving much.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm ready for the 34th wave boys

[haltingly fumbles through Pressure Drop on my bass] I just need 25 other goons and we've got ourselves a band

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
As if streetlight makes music anymore

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Well we've made it to another decade so they are on pace to put out another album in about 3 years or so

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Well we've made it to another decade so they are on pace to put out another album in about 3 years or so

funny story, i just came here because i randomly decided to click on their site and see if there was any news

quote:

So for the last half decade or so since we stopped full time touring and moved to a schedule of weekend clusters of shows throughout the year so that we can live actual normal human lives, we’ve been hitting the major cities in the US yearly. That’s going to pause momentarily for the entirety of 2020. Essentially we’ve come to fill all of our free time outside of our aforementioned normal lives with shows, travel to the shows, and planning for the shows, which left no time for… something we’ve wanted to do for a few years now (and something we can all agree is long overdue). In order to get this unmentionable thing done and done properly, we need to dedicate a large chunk of time to it.

so they're theoretically recording a new album maybe

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I mean they said they'd tone down the shows to record more, and now it's retroactively to have more personal time. Which is fine, but doesn't give me much hope for them trying to tone down shows more. I suspect we'll hit some point (soon?) where they just stop touring or releasing new stuff and everyone kinda just forgets about them.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

quote:

Streetlight Manifesto commenced a three night run at the Starland Ballroom in Sayerville, NJ last Thursday evening. Since their humble New Brunswick beginnings in the early 2000’s, Streetlight and front-man Thomas Kalnoky have graced the Ballroom with nine epic sets and shows. Each time the group arrives at Starland, they bring the same raw energy and radical vigor of their very first performances. The punk-perfect venue is Streetlight’s home turf, and needless to say the place was packed to the gills.

Thursday’s show was a final part of The End of the Beginning Tour, a massive, live performance undertaking that included shows in Europe and jaunts all over the United States. Now in its last leg, the tour is Streetlight’s farewell, (for the moment at least), to constant, year-round touring. While it’s not a “farewell tour” per-say, it is a goodbye to the troubadour lifestyle most of the band has been living for the last decade. Back in March, Kalnoky wrote a post on the Streetlight website that provided a window into the band’s reasoning.

“We have decided to step away from the table before we get sick of our favorite meal,” wrote Kalnoky. “We’ve seen enough bands over the years grow old playing the same songs for decades, going through the motions, slowly fading, and more depressingly, continuing on for all the wrong reasons.”

Kalnoky goes on to say that Streetlight has no intention of breaking it off. Instead, the band’s plan is to play occasional shows while focusing more fully on the creation of new music. Coming from a group that’s fostered most of its livelihood from live performance, the announcement is both a shock and an exciting turn of the page. As a Streetlight fanatic, it’s my hope that the shift will inaugurate a new era of sublime ska creativity.

- November 2013

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 5, 2020

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

They might release one more album before the band breaks up in like 5 or 6 years.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Wasn't 2013 also before they had to try to make money to pay off legal debts and poo poo from finishing the lawsuit

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Looking forward to the new record in 2027.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I saw this on imgur randomly and my first thought was "oooh new Jeff song?"

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Deal's Gone Slack (Glen Pine with members of Deal's Gone Bad) is doing a mini-tour of Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Illinois and Wisconsin in early-mid March.

I mean, if anyone is interested in this thread beyond discussing the lack of a new Streetlight album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

we can always talk about jeff or our favorite LTJ album