Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Toaster Beef posted:

Thanks for the heads up! I'll give that a shot. Switching back to DX12 now that I'm out of the opening snowstorm seems to have worked somewhat, but the hitching's still happening in bits and spurts. Will report back.

Update on this: the Rockstar Launcher apparently does not like Process Lasso. The game did pretty well for a while, then supposedly crashed. I say supposedly because according to the Launcher, the game was still open. I eventually just shut the whole system down out of frustration.

God drat, Rockstar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Game's running fine at ultra on a i5 9600k with a GTX1070. Now to just get past these horrible controls/camera.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I dunno what the hell happened to my install but after starting at almost unplayable from freezing, I managed to get through a five hour session tonight without a single freeze without even doing any thing differently. Go figure!

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Mine is still crashing at the launcher, tried just about everything apart from a reinstall cos it took 20 hours to download the fucker in the first place. No support ticket response, quite amazed at how rubbish this is.

I bought from CDKeys so I'm not hopeful about even getting a refund.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Game is running smooth and I can do high / ultra on some if I'm willing to have 35 FPS. Changing options and generally navigating is jank as poo poo with KB+M but I got my wife into Destiny and she uses the controller so

Autistic Speculum
Apr 9, 2009

Toaster Beef posted:

Update on this: the Rockstar Launcher apparently does not like Process Lasso. The game did pretty well for a while, then supposedly crashed. I say supposedly because according to the Launcher, the game was still open. I eventually just shut the whole system down out of frustration.

God drat, Rockstar.

drat. Are you using the CPU limiter for Rockstar Launcer or the RDR2 exe itself? I'm using it for RDR2.exe only.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I've been seeing some hubbub on various MSI reddits that some of the non MAX boards are getting agesa 1.004 upgrades pushed out, so I'm almost more hopeful that I'll be able to update my motherboard and play before rockstar fixes anything. Yikes.

EDIT: Rockstar support be like:

Gooch181 fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 6, 2019

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Deketh posted:

Mine is still crashing at the launcher, tried just about everything apart from a reinstall cos it took 20 hours to download the fucker in the first place. No support ticket response, quite amazed at how rubbish this is.

I bought from CDKeys so I'm not hopeful about even getting a refund.

What motherboard are you using, friend?

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Ham posted:

What motherboard are you using, friend?

It's an Asus Z170M-Plus. I did update the bios, no help though.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
This thread should be titled RDR2 Tech Support and the console thread turned into Playable Game Talk.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Autistic Speculum posted:

drat. Are you using the CPU limiter for Rockstar Launcer or the RDR2 exe itself? I'm using it for RDR2.exe only.

RDR2.exe only. I'm going to give it a go again in a little bit, because there's always the chance I did something wrong (since this was the first time I've used PL). It was working pretty drat well before the crash, so I'm hopeful! It's just frustrating.

Thanks again for the help with this.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Zigmidge posted:

This thread should be titled RDR2 Tech Support and the console thread turned into Playable Game Talk.

Dude the amount of trouble people are having is staggering, it's odd as gently caress poo poo too like Bios needing to be flashed lmao

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I can’t wait until the PC crowd reaches chapter 5 :allears:

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Glenn Quebec posted:

Dude the amount of trouble people are having is staggering, it's odd as gently caress poo poo too like Bios needing to be flashed lmao
The day before RDR2 came out, I grabbed a new M.2 SSD to install. While I was in there, I updated my motherboard BIOS too, and did a clean install of Windows. Those were all things I was planning on doing sometime soon anyway, I just decided to get it done now so I'd be ready to steal some horses.

Now I'm left wondering if the game would be working if I hadn't done any of that? Every other game I've tried seems quite happy, especially the ones on the peppy new drive. I'm not doing to downgrade to get this one game running now, especially when that's only a "Maybe" fix. Probably wouldn't help, since I'm in the group where the Rockstar Launcher crashes when I tell it to launch the game. (You had one job, Launcher. It's in your drat name.)

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 6, 2019

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Make sure your Windows is updated to ver 1903 - supposedly that helped some people too.

Anyway, I have rarely seen so many people with problems. Also this is the first time in a long while I was affected myself. It's really rare that something does not immediately run for me, since I try to keep my gaming rig clean, meaning I only install software I really need on a daily basis.

The last game that took issue with my anti-virus was Battle Brothers and in that case the Avast alarm immediately popped up and it was obvious that it was the cause - also BB devs added an info popup within 24 hours of the issue surfacing. In RDR2 Avast stayed silent and there was zero hint that it caused the crashes.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 6, 2019

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I keep getting crashes every hour or so, this sucks. Loving playing the game again, though.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Glenn Quebec posted:

I wrote something tempered and reasonable explaining how this kind of launch sees good patches and fixes real soon because nobody wants this kind of launch but then I remembered GTA v is currently suffering from inexplicable crashes introduced by a patch for a poo poo load of people and Rockstar is all "lol" about it and I deleted that post real quick.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Nvm, guess I misunderstood then.

Noirex fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 6, 2019

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

that isn't at all what I suggested

I would expect all of these issues to be solved as fast as a slow moving behemoth like rockstar can fix them. I'm just dropping some colour chat to sympathize with people dealing with the poo poo right now.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I did play a few hours of online mode last night and it's a phenomenal cowboy simulator. I made an ugly Mexican / French bandit named Monroe Murrieto and as soon as I had enough cash I bought a poncho. Gonna use dual pistols and leave rifles on my horse.

Next step is to get nicer clothing. Especially Spurs.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Also shooting players in the back of the head is ultimately very satisfying. Shooting in the air and then telling someone in voice chat that my name is Monroe Murrieto then shooting their face is even better.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

i’m not saying PC gamers should probably be used to endless troubleshooting and driver issues at launch or that it’s probably impossible to effectively test such complex and demanding software for a basically infinite theoretical variety of hardware/driver combinations and the idea of it ever being as simple as consoles is laughable

but

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It’s more that I can’t figure out what the gently caress the problem is. I have a beast of a PC and it keeps crashing during gameplay as if some model or something was supposed to load, and didn’t. Happened to me at the stables, one of the horses didn’t load. Weird.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Taintrunner posted:

It’s more that I can’t figure out what the gently caress the problem is. I have a beast of a PC and it keeps crashing during gameplay as if some model or something was supposed to load, and didn’t. Happened to me at the stables, one of the horses didn’t load. Weird.

I kept on crashing at the end of the first online matchmaking mission when I rode up to a barn, and I finally finished it by simply riding around the other side of the barn to get to the quest marker. There are some random rear end bugs all over the place.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I will buy this game when all the dumbass tedium can be nullified with mods.

Until then, have fun with your video game crashing simulator, nerds.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m just going around being a fuckin rear end in a top hat to people. Since I already beat the story I have no reason not to be an absolute scoundrel!

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

GreatGreen posted:

I will buy this game when all the dumbass tedium can be nullified with mods.

Until then, have fun with your video game crashing simulator, nerds.

Lol the biggest toolbag aggro post I've seen in a minute

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Has anyone tried/found a way to get a solo session for online? I'll try some janky poo poo but maybe someone found a way already.

Autistic Speculum
Apr 9, 2009
This game is fun but super janky. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but how do I ride the horse straight and shoot without turning where my mouse is aiming? I guess I'm used to ARMA where I hold ALT to look in a different direction.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Go to options and change horse controls from relative to camera to relative to horse

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wouldn't say the controls are janky, just that Rockstar was not considering user experience. There is a rumor that was going around a year ago, that a Rockstar employee responsible for the user experience with controlling their character, tried to make the game easier in this regard, and was fired for it. Welp! :v: Rockstar has a weird hill that they are willing to die on with regards to making Red Dead 2 as realistic as possible even knowing it makes the game less fun to play.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I think my comfort with the controls has led me to a few PvP wins. People fumbling with their aim or accidentally fanning pistols is amazing.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

It controls just like a GTA game. I feel right at home with it.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Taintrunner posted:

I’m just going around being a fuckin rear end in a top hat to people. Since I already beat the story I have no reason not to be an absolute scoundrel!

I always say this, but then I like soft Arthur saying things like "aww shucks" instead of murder Arthur telling people to go to hell.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Well, got home, and the game ran fine, did a bunch of running around in the snow and killing people.

Then I quit The Division and started Yippee Kai Yay Simulator. :v:

Started fine, ran the benchmark and as it kept going, got occasional freezes. (Still claimed 65+ FPS max, 59+ average @ 1920 x 1080, almost entirely default settings on a 1080Ti.)

Started playing, kept getting occasional freezes. (Amusing when it froze during a conversation, then resumed with two or more voice tracks playing simultaneously - and the subtitles as well.)

Got to the opening homestead/fight, freezes were happening more often. Finally, while I was looting everything not nailed down and trying to find a crowbar for the rest searching for supplies, it finally CTD'd on me. (Upon restart, everything I'd grabbed never respawned nor appeared in my inventory. :argh:)

Took a few minutes to get the latest drivers installed, started again... oh, all the way back to the beginning, such fun. Got maybe two freezes total for the rest of my playtime, which included the first big fight and the train robbery, and got me to Chapter Two, where I poo poo slept, shaved and saved before going to bed. Guess we'll see what happens when I get to town, after work.

(Going from Div1 to this makes for a little dissonance with the controls. "Why isn't the drawer opening? I'm hitting "F"!" Also want to turn on the mic and set voice commands - "Whoah dammit!" should turn off Cruise Control on the horse.)

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

This is running amazingly well on my i5 2500k + gtx 1060 6gb. Granted I'm only in the first bit with all the snow and there's an occasional hitch for a few seconds once every 5 minutes or so but I'm very impressed.

Edit: my settings are a mixture of medium to ultra.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

i5 7600k GTX 1070, 16gb ram... getting the hitching issue pretty much constantly. I've tried the BES cpu limiting thing and also setting some of the settings down, but now it's just sort of stuttering constantly instead of outright freezing up for seconds at a time. Very annoying to play. Not real sure what else to do at this point.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

This poo poo is wild. They need to fuckin patch asap and I'm somebody who has no issues.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Toaster Beef posted:

RDR2.exe only. I'm going to give it a go again in a little bit, because there's always the chance I did something wrong (since this was the first time I've used PL). It was working pretty drat well before the crash, so I'm hopeful! It's just frustrating.

Thanks again for the help with this.

Update to the update: I think I did, indeed, gently caress up with my Process Lasso settings, because I tried again following this brief guide and it has, thus far, worked like a charm. Game's running as smooth as can be on pretty nice settings. Still waiting for the other shoe to drop, but for now I'm happy to dig into some rootin' and tootin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autistic Speculum
Apr 9, 2009

Jeremor posted:

i5 7600k GTX 1070, 16gb ram... getting the hitching issue pretty much constantly. I've tried the BES cpu limiting thing and also setting some of the settings down, but now it's just sort of stuttering constantly instead of outright freezing up for seconds at a time. Very annoying to play. Not real sure what else to do at this point.

Check out the Lasso Process stuff. They have said there is an issue with i5 processors. It hasn't been perfect for me, but better than default settings. I was playing for a couple of hours today without any stutters and it came back. I had to reboot my computer and it got better. But the issue seems to happen when the i5 CPU hits 100%. I bet they will fix it quite soon.