Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
69 Camaros were never worth 100k either yet that was a thing that happened.

That Ciera owns and someone will pay that much for it, you guys are getting out of touch in real time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I've heard suicide rates among young people are up, I wonder if lusting after a 1986 Oldsmobile is a symptom or a cause.

Actual content: This is an old screenshot but I'm still seeing it pop up and the ad hasn't changed. Rare is not the same as valuable.

boxen fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 6, 2019

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i think that ciera is worth four grand, fight me

It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it, so go for it if you think it's worth it.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Yeah $4500 for that Ciera is reasonable I think.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
It’s not like the ‘88 Accord I saw listed for $22000 CAD.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Frond posted:

It’s not like the ‘88 Accord I saw listed for $22000 CAD.

Was it an aerodeck or something cool?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
No it was a EX sedan (US model LX, mid range) with the carb motor and an Automatic transmission. It was pretty flawless and had under 70,000KM but come the gently caress on, you would be lucky to get 5K for the car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Nitrox posted:

It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it, so go for it if you think it's worth it.

Wife will only let me have 2 cars

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

boxen posted:

I've heard suicide rates among young people are up, I wonder if lusting after a 1986 Oldsmobile is a symptom or a cause.

:lol:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My mom had an 80's Olds Cutlass wagon with the worthless 260 V8 in it that thing was horrible.

Can't think of any Oldsmobiles from the 80's that were worth a poo poo. Maybe the Hurst Cutlass but iirc that thing was gutless too.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Wife will only let me have 2 cars

With 2 wives, you can have 4 cars. Think about that

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Nitrox posted:

With 2 wives, you can have 4 cars. Think about that

Yes and with zero wives you can have as many as you want. Plus the free time to enjoy them. Not to mention the bonus loneliness.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Glad to see I'm not the first one to suggest divorce.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Glad to see I'm not the first one to suggest divorce.

Divorce doesn't have to be a bad thing. You get the whole bed, freedom to use the garage how you want, and the pity of your friends.

A Small Car
Aug 24, 2016

StormDrain posted:

Yes and with zero wives you can have as many as you want. Plus the free time to enjoy them. Not to mention the bonus loneliness.

This is the route I've taken as well. Fill the void with more cars!

For content, have a few gems from my area:

https://elpaso.craigslist.org/cto/d/las-cruces-vintage-1948-willys-jeep/7014807386.html

https://elpaso.craigslist.org/cto/d/el-paso-1974-datsun-260z/7014128447.html

https://elpaso.craigslist.org/cto/d/el-paso-1990-ford-mustang-gt/7014428775.html
"rear spoiler is crack." Welp, that explains the rest of the car.

I saved the best for last :D

https://elpaso.craigslist.org/cto/d/el-paso-1982-cadillac-alpine-roadster/7013729497.html

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

StormDrain posted:

Divorce doesn't have to be a bad thing. You get the whole bed, freedom to use the garage how you want, and the pity of your friends.

https://youtu.be/0k62V211sf8

You knew this was coming

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

StormDrain posted:

I've started joking with married friends about how much responsibility they have, having to spend time with someone that loves them. Partially coping mechanism, partially I am so much happier divorced.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Nitrox posted:

Maybe some internet billionaire who has fond memories of road trips with grandma and grandpa might buy it I guess.

I mean, yeah, it's nice enough I guess, but it's not like it's even got super low miles. It's got 116K. That is a fairly well used, but assumingly well maintained 80s car. But that's hardly time capsule mileage.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I've started joking with married friends about how much responsibility they have, having to spend time with someone that loves them. Partially coping mechanism, partially I am so much happier divorced.

Divorce is forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGN1a4fN2sg

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
looks like this Type S has suffered some sort of Molecular Destabilization

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pts/d/apollo-2007-acura-tl-type/7016479262.html

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

StormDrain posted:

I'm sorry but with the sweet cierra you will have more ladies than you can count.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Elephanthead posted:

I'm sorry but with the sweet cierra you will have more ladies than you can count.

Already completely inundated with the first wife. Actually trying to hustle up a couple of house projects to do car projects guilt free. Both were my idea though.

Edit: I have a GMC Sierra and thought you meant that, not that Bitchin Oldsmobile. Whoops.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/lotus/esprit/2343204.html

condition: project

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Hey It’s accurate.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Frond posted:

Hey It’s accurate.

Yeah, I don't doubt that if he didn't specifically say that, there'd be people asking "can I drive it home". He's miles ahead of the "BARN FIND RARE RAN WHEN PARKED" crowd.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

boxen posted:

Yeah, I don't doubt that if he didn't specifically say that, there'd be people asking "can I drive it home". He's miles ahead of the "BARN FIND RARE RAN WHEN PARKED" crowd.

Still a step behind the "restoration started, car in boxes" crowd.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Powershift posted:

Still a step behind the "restoration started, car in boxes" crowd.

I think I've seen ads that say both.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

boxen posted:

I think I've seen ads that say both.

THIS motherfucker

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/red-deer/winter-project-1968-falcon/1468747687

That's the price of the car in drivable condition, those are pictures of the car in drivable condition, then at the end of the ad

"pictures are from before i disassembled it.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Powershift posted:

THIS motherfucker

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/red-deer/winter-project-1968-falcon/1468747687

That's the price of the car in drivable condition, those are pictures of the car in drivable condition, then at the end of the ad

"pictures are from before i disassembled it.

Oh, gently caress that guy. No, I don't give a poo poo what it used to look like, you chose to "restore" it so now the value is slightly above scrap. Congratulations, your involvement has removed significant value from something.

Edit: Although, 2 grand for a 289 Falcon in pieces really isn't that bad. In the before-time when things were bright and asshat picked up a wrench, it was probably worth what, 6-8k? I don't know how much Falcons are worth.

Sort of related, there was a 1962 Studebaker (Silver?) Hawk on the Portland, OR Craigslist awhile back, looked like it was in solid shape, the owner had taken it apart and restored it some, didn't look too bad...
Except...
It was purple. Like, Vikings jersey purple. And it wasn't just a respray, they had taken it all apart and painted it, so the doorjams, fenders under the hood, trunk, everything was purple. Also, they redid the interior, and every seat had an "S" embroidered on it. Not some sort of "S" like used in the Studebaker logo or something, that "S" you drew in elementary school.
This one:

It's your car, do what you want, but don't be surprised when people are turned off by your aesthetic choices.

boxen fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 16, 2019

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
For sale, winning lotto ticket, just fill in the right circles and buy the ticket and you are rich! Steal at $4,000,000. I know what I got!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

boxen posted:

Edit: Although, 2 grand for a 289 Falcon in pieces really isn't that bad. In the before-time when things were bright and asshat picked up a wrench, it was probably worth what, 6-8k? I don't know how much Falcons are worth.

A nice falcon is 8 grand. an original running rusty falcon is like 2-3. a 5.0 restomod falcon is still only like 8-12.

I've been obsessed with them since i found out the base models were 2200lbs. Now i want one with a 1.0 ecoboot or toyota beams engine and 6 speed, because that 2200lbs is with a cast iron straight 6 with a cast iron intake manifold, and cast iron exhaust manifold, and cast iron transmission.

Basically, my plan right now is buy serviceable falcon in the spring > work on lincoln swap while driving the falcon, then go nuts on the falcon and learn a bunch about carbon fibre making falcon parts. 200hp/2000lbs seems possible.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That is an excellent idea and I hope you succeed

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

boxen posted:

Oh, gently caress that guy. No, I don't give a poo poo what it used to look like, you chose to "restore" it so now the value is slightly above scrap. Congratulations, your involvement has removed significant value from something.

Sort of related, there was a 1962 Studebaker (Silver?) Hawk on the Portland, OR Craigslist awhile back, looked like it was in solid shape, the owner had taken it apart and restored it some, didn't look too bad...
Except...
It was purple. Like, Vikings jersey purple. And it wasn't just a respray, they had taken it all apart and painted it, so the doorjams, fenders under the hood, trunk, everything was purple. Also, they redid the interior, and every seat had an "S" embroidered on it. Not some sort of "S" like used in the Studebaker logo or something, that "S" you drew in elementary school.
This one:

It's your car, do what you want, but don't be surprised when people are turned off by your aesthetic choices.

This is the video for you

The Universal S
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQdxHi4_Pvc

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Vanagoon posted:

This is the video for you

The Universal S
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQdxHi4_Pvc

lol, I really did not expect Basquiat to come up.

If you got a kick out of that video this program might be worth listening to: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00017sj

It's about the spread and ubiquity of playground clapping games.

Munin fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Nov 17, 2019

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

No contact info, but:

Inherited Porsche 930. Need to sell.

quote:

Over the weekend I inherited my grandfathers 1985 Porsche 930 Turbo. I unfortunately do not have a garage to keep this vehicle but I’ve rented one short term until I figure out how to sell it.
I’ve never sold a vehicle and I understand that this vehicle is rare. My grandfather ordered this directly from Porsche the year I was born and it’s been garage kept since day one.
1985 Porsche 930 Turbo 13,490 miles Service records show the vehicle has only been serviced by an authorized Porsche dealership.
What is the best way to determine the value of the vehicle and what avenue does one travel when trying to sell a rare foreign vehicle like this.
I’d love to keep the vehicle but I honestly do not feel capable of maintaining it the way it needs to be. I’ve already heard from multiple people that the way my grandfather drove it very little could have caused it harm because these vehicle were made to be driven not to sit.
All help and suggestions welcome. Please excuse my lack of knowledge regarding the vehicle.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Might be legit but I’m leaning towards scam.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Frond posted:

Might be legit but I’m leaning towards scam.

If this turns out to be legit, someone will definitely take note of this story as a framework for future scam. People are willing to send him tens of thousands of dollars sight unseen, just to gamble on purchasing the mystery car.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

My pops got rear-ended pretty bad in his work van and we're scrambling to find a replacement so he can get back to work. I'm looking on facebook marketplace and cragistlist and I see some Express Vans with decent prices. However I notice they all use the same contact number even though on facebook its multiple people making the listings to various buy/sell groups and on craigslist its in the by owner section. Undoubtably this is some unlisted dealer type action, I'm just wondering how far should I run screaming or is it worth dealing with? I can't find any information when I google the number either.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 19, 2019

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So someone is listing all the marketplace ads on craigslist with their number hoping to do a flip? Just a tip everything on craigslist is a scam and also everything on facebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Although the ad says automatic, the pictures confirm it's actually a manual. Quick, someone buy this piece of poo poo before I do...

Only registered members can see post attachments!