Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I've played for about 3 minutes now after spending more time setting graphics and controls up.

2 things: there's so many buttons. And how did they do all the snow footsteps/tracks? Incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

toggle posted:

I've played for about 3 minutes now after spending more time setting graphics and controls up.

2 things: there's so many buttons. And how did they do all the snow footsteps/tracks? Incredible

the level of detail is insane. it’s nuts when you get to Valentine and realize all the muddy tracks are dynamic and real loving tracks. it’s wild

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
For those of you still having launcher issues, someone on reddit found a hacky way around it

quote:

alrighty folks those who have problems with the launcher can you download this https://www.gta5-mods.com/tools/no-gtavlauncher and put it in the rdr2 dir renaming RDR2.exe to GTA5.exe and running the No_GTAVLauncher.exe does the game work for you?
https://www.reddit.com/r/PCRedDead/comments/dsfnjm/rdr2_launch_issues_megathread_day_two/f6pu8da/

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
I've started getting strange tearing/artifacting towards the bottom of the screen along with the UI getting cut off, is that happening to anyone else? Tried switching from full screen to borderless and it didn't seem to make a difference. I wasn't noticing the issue yesterday.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I got to chapter two last night and called in sick today to cowboy even harder, I haven’t been this enchanted with a video game since like MGS3

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Lucid Dream posted:

I've started getting strange tearing/artifacting towards the bottom of the screen along with the UI getting cut off, is that happening to anyone else? Tried switching from full screen to borderless and it didn't seem to make a difference. I wasn't noticing the issue yesterday.

Are you playing on an Ultra-wide monitor? I'm getting artifacting at 3440X1440 on the right hand side of the screen. I replaced the display port cable, and made sure the GPU was within temperature range. As a final test, I dropped Windows down to 2560x1440 which seems to fix the problem.

Now that I'm sure that it isn't my PC, I'm playing at native resolution fullscreen, and hoping a patch or driver update fixes the problem.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Are you playing on an Ultra-wide monitor? I'm getting artifacting at 3440X1440 on the right hand side of the screen. I replaced the display port cable, and made sure the GPU was within temperature range. As a final test, I dropped Windows down to 2560x1440 which seems to fix the problem.

Now that I'm sure that it isn't my PC, I'm playing at native resolution fullscreen, and hoping a patch or driver update fixes the problem.

Nope, I'm using 2560x1440.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

For those of you still having launcher issues, someone on reddit found a hacky way around it

https://www.reddit.com/r/PCRedDead/comments/dsfnjm/rdr2_launch_issues_megathread_day_two/f6pu8da/

Yep, this works for the AMD BIOS crash.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

What's the latest on the i5 stuttering patch? Game is loving awesome but the hitches are getting to be annoying.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

anyone else getting an issue where the mouse cursor is constantly visible? It's really annoying.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Lol just lol if your aren't playing this with a VR headset and gloves like in minority report

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

On the plus side, the game runs great on my PC. I'm playing at 1080p with a GTX 1070, though, so it ought to run well. It's a very pretty game. Very atmospheric.

On the other hand, the controls are awful. I've tried both controller and mouse and keyboard and neither works on its own. Horses are impossible to steer with WASD and guns are impossible to aim with a pad. And there are so many menus. Menus buried within menus to access anything. Multiple inventory systems and I can't yet keep track of what goes in which inventory. It's close enough to GTA's controls to feel familiar, but different enough to hurt my brain.

All that is stuff I'll get used to as I play, if I keep playing. But I played online for 12 or so hours and found nothing to do. All I want is solo PvE content. Other players are the same aimbot murderers they were in GTAO, every city I visited was a war zone, and every blue dot on the map becomes a stress headache as I wait for it to inevitably turn red and run me down. Why the gently caress isn't there a private session or passive mode

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Ham posted:

Yep, this works for the AMD BIOS crash.

Heads up: The NoLauncher GTA V workaround will let you launch into the game but you will be stuck in infinite loading for both story mode and online as Social Club is unable to authenticate correctly. So back to square one!

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

For horses on keyboard change the controls to be relative to the horse not to the camera

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Thanks for sharing man, it gets me into the game finally but then story mode just loads forever without going anywhere.
So that's closer at least! Seems to rule out anything other than launcher side issues, wish they would communicate with us.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

This got me past the launcher, but I just get infinite loading screens on both single player, the benchmark, and online. But hey, at least it's something. Seeing folks suggesting it needs to call home at least once and the workaround prevents that.

loaf
Jan 25, 2004

Frankston posted:

What's the latest on the i5 stuttering patch? Game is loving awesome but the hitches are getting to be annoying.

My i5-2500k/GTX 1080 was pausing for 5-10 seconds every 30 seconds or so, but setting the affinity to two cores (any two work, but three seems to be too many) and switching to DX12 has mostly solved it. I only see a pause rarely now, maybe every five minutes.

Ikonoklast
Nov 16, 2007

A beacon for the liars and blind.

Capn Beeb posted:

This got me past the launcher, but I just get infinite loading screens on both single player, the benchmark, and online. But hey, at least it's something. Seeing folks suggesting it needs to call home at least once and the workaround prevents that.

Makes me wonder if most of these launcher issues would have gone away if it was released on steam. Hows the Epic version? More functional?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

holy poo poo lol

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Capn Beeb posted:

I believe what you do is you get it to launch with this, then you roll back and use the launcher and it should start working, for some reason.

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

Has anyone had any success getting Arthur to do the fancy gun holster animation on kb+m controls?

On console you could just double tap the holster button but that didn't work when I was playing last night

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Glenn Quebec posted:

Lol just lol if your aren't playing this with a VR headset and gloves like in minority report

I fuckin wish this had VR support. The sense of scale would feel incredible. Getting to do all those interactions like brushing your horse or carving your bullets with a knife would be just incredible. Oh! And getting to lasso people by swinging your arm around like an idiot.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

loaf posted:

My i5-2500k/GTX 1080 was pausing for 5-10 seconds every 30 seconds or so, but setting the affinity to two cores (any two work, but three seems to be too many) and switching to DX12 has mostly solved it. I only see a pause rarely now, maybe every five minutes.

Tried this, it had the opposite effect for me. Game pretty much ground to a halt until I put affinity back to all cores.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
process lasso trick fixed the i5 freezing issue for me (so far)

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

eonwe posted:

I believe what you do is you get it to launch with this, then you roll back and use the launcher and it should start working, for some reason.

Not for me alas

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
My i5 8500 didn’t seem to have an issue with the game but resource monitor was showing it peaking to 100% occasionally while doing the benchmark test which meant it paused a couple of times. In game though it doesn’t seem to be an issue in the admittedly 20 or so minutes I played trudging through the snow.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I had a tremendous time online and I think I'll spend some of the pre order gold on getting a bounty hunting license since that sounds badass

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

peer posted:

process lasso trick fixed the i5 freezing issue for me (so far)

Yeah this seems to work, haven't had a single hitch since. Thanks!

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

eonwe posted:

Nope, launcher still crashes. Also had a fun popup of "unexpected files were found in game directory, modding may result in a ban" so that's nice.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

So yeah the Process Lasso thing is good. I'd go further and suggest that you play in windowed mode, and use Borderless Gaming to force it into a "borderless mode". So far with mostly medium settings my game runs like butter on my i5 2500k/970 setup. Might I also add that if you're still experiencing some freezes or hitches, to set the amount of the cores to reduce to 2 in the Process Lasso menu.

edit: I'm in love with the game, but let me keep my hat goddamnit lol

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 6, 2019

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Capn Beeb posted:

Nope, launcher still crashes. Also had a fun popup of "unexpected files were found in game directory, modding may result in a ban" so that's nice.

Hackin' gonna get you kilt, son. :clint:

Also: I made sure I got a save done at the start of Chapter 2, because *gently caress* all that snow. Reminds me of winters growing up in Montana (Great Falls, not out in the toolies like the story. Wading through hip-deep drifts can die in a lava flow, no matter the location.)

Edit: Red Dead Redemption 2: Use yer Process Lasso, you peckerhead!

Ygolonac fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 6, 2019

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I tried Process Lasso and holy hell, now my game crashes immediately after loading into it and Arthur stands up at the camp. This sucks.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

I tried Process Lasso and holy hell, now my game crashes immediately after loading into it and Arthur stands up at the camp. This sucks.

Are you using Vulkan? I've had crashes trying to use that.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
I’m hearing a patch just dropped. Anyone having better luck?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wheezle posted:

I’m hearing a patch just dropped. Anyone having better luck?

A fuckin' 3 gig update, downloading now. Fingers crossed.

edit: Still crashing with the exact same problem. What the gently caress.

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 6, 2019

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Launcher still crashes for me. I don't think I'm playing it until MSI release the latest BIOS for the B450 Tomahawk. gently caress sake.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's specifically when I turn the camera and look at the camp that the game crashes - it's like trying to load in too much and the game just nopes the gently caress out of there.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Patch didn't fix the i5 freezing issue.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Glenn Quebec posted:

For horses on keyboard change the controls to be relative to the horse not to the camera

It's still a bit awkward, but this helped tremendously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

FuturePastNow posted:

It's still a bit awkward, but this helped tremendously.

I cannot for the life of me remember what game it was but it had similar controls to the horse in this and basically trained me. But yeah the horse is dumb to control. The fact we don't have an autorun is brutal af