Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

My Spectrum guide now shows Rotten Tomatoes scores. It's on TV right now on BBC America and saw the score.

Welp...

That single negative review was from gene siskel.

100% of critics who didn’t like Aliens died of brain cancer. makes you think...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Weird Science is on & seeing Bill Paxton as Chet is still gold.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Class Warcraft posted:

I liked him a lot, but goddamn he could be a twonk.

I just watched their review of The Terminator, he didn't like that either!

:cmon:

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

Android Apocalypse posted:

Weird Science is on & seeing Bill Paxton as Chet is still gold.

That's not a joke, that's a severe behavioral disorder. I mean, the next thing you know, you'll be wearing a bra on your head!

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Class Warcraft posted:

What was his issue with aliens? Just being contrarian, perhaps?

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Kuato posted:

He probably just got pissed off because Aliens ruined every other movie for him. He'd be sitting there watching some Oscar bait artsy thing, and think to himself 'goddamn, there's no power loaders, no Vasquez, and no sentry guns in this garbage. How do I get out of this chicken-poo poo outfit?'

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Kuato posted:

'It was too strong'. Here's his review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1y6QhZaUG4

Man, I know the US loves these two, but holy poo poo they are pompous as gently caress.
Never really watched a full review with these two before.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

happyhippy posted:

Man, I know the US loves these two, but holy poo poo they are pompous as gently caress.

Ebert: This movie was well made, great action, Weaver was excellent and had a great performance, my stomach was knotted up towards the end. That was too much for me.

Siskel: nom mmm soo good *shoveling poo poo into his mouth* oh god, so great mmmmm

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

happyhippy posted:

I love how hard they're clutching their pearls over how intense the most kickin' rad action movie of all time is. Goodness me! *fans self*

I am kind of surprised the critic appreciation for Aliens is higher than the audience appreciation though. I'd have thought there'd have been more highfalutin critics who'd have been dismissive of it for being more action-orientated and not as cerebral as the original.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Their review of Terminator is a must see too.

Siskel talks about how the future scenes take place on "another planet." :wtc: I was better at watching movies when I was 8.

Ebert was always the better reviewer though because he in one of his books he articulate a good ethos of evaluating movies on what they're setting out to do that boiled down to, paraphrasing: If someone wants to know if Lethal Weapon 2 is good, they don't want to know if it's good compared to Remains of the Day or Chariots of Fire or w/e, they are asking if it's good compared to Die Hard or Commando.

At least they both had the good sense to like RoboCop.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

happyhippy posted:

This makes me feel old. I used watch em back in the day. If they both agreed on a movie chances are it would be good. These were the days before the internet so that show was useful just to get a general idea about what movies were out.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Class Warcraft posted:

If you don't like Aliens, I can't lie to you about your chances, but... You have my sympathies.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I watched aliens directors cut (best one gently caress all the haters) on acid and it was great. Highly recommend

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Biplane posted:

I watched aliens directors cut (best one gently caress all the haters) on acid and it was great. Highly recommend

Hopefully not Alien acid :ohdear:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Trippin balls on that concentrated royal jelly :catdrugs:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I really want them to release a UHD of Aliens :argh:

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Xenomrph posted:

Hopefully not Alien acid :ohdear:

Tripped balls then melted. Two thumbs up.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Two thumbs up!
\

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Biplane posted:

Oooo that sounds fun.

I tried to do acid once in a microdose solution (I took it all) and it didn't work. Looked it up and antidepressants can counter it. :saddowns:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Got my PDF copies of the new RPG in the mail, haven't dug in yet, looking froward to the physical copy in the mail heck yeah.

Weirdly the first scenario I'm inspired to do is actually a switcharoo with a Predator.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Biplane posted:

I watched aliens directors cut (best one gently caress all the haters)

:hfive:

Do people actually hate the DC? I thought some just felt it hurt the pacing or didn't like Newt's parents that much.

I love every extra second, especially the exasperated beauracracy.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah some people say it screws up the pacing and you should watch the theatrical cut first. I don't care. I like the DC more.

Don't try to change my mind.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SilvergunSuperman posted:

:hfive:

Do people actually hate the DC? I thought some just felt it hurt the pacing or didn't like Newt's parents that much.

I love every extra second, especially the exasperated beauracracy.

Eh, the added Hadley's Hope/Newt scenes kill pacing. They're neat, but unnecessary to the story. On the other hand sentry guns

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Some things in the DC are cool (sentry guns, seeing Ripley's daughter), some not so much (seeing Newt's parents). I get why the cut it but it's still fun to see the extended version every now & then.

Is there a director's cut of Alien: Resurrection?

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Even with the Hadley's Hope scene at the beginning, the DC owns.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Some things in the DC are cool (sentry guns, seeing Ripley's daughter), some not so much (seeing Newt's parents). I get why the cut it but it's still fun to see the extended version every now & then.

There’s an extended edition on Blu-ray that has some additional stuff and an alternate opening and ending, but even though it’s listed on the Blu-ray as the “director’s cut”, there’s an intro by the director saying that his true directors cut is the one we got in 1997.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Wishing there was a "Just gimmie all the stuff you filmed" cut.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Oooo that sounds fun.

I tried to do acid once in a microdose solution (I took it all) and it didn't work. Looked it up and antidepressants can counter it. :saddowns:

man, that sucks. Acid is for The People and everyone should do it.

also lolling hard at the directors cut ruining the pacing :qq: with the hadleys hope scenes, its like 5 minutes at the start of the film

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Iron Crowned posted:

Eh, the added Hadley's Hope/Newt scenes kill pacing. They're neat, but unnecessary to the story. On the other hand sentry guns

I think foreshadowing Newt hiding in air ducts is pretty goofy and unnecessary but "kills" pacing? Really? The movie has barely gotten started at that point and everything else about the DC is an improvement.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

purple death ray posted:

I think foreshadowing Newt hiding in air ducts is pretty goofy and unnecessary but "kills" pacing? Really? The movie has barely gotten started at that point and everything else about the DC is an improvement.

I don't know man, I think the theatrical cut is perfect from beginning until the marines arrive. It keeps the story with Ripley and the whole mystery of what happened to the colony. You really don't need the foreshadowing because you got that by watching Alien.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
There's mystery about what happened to the colony?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

ID argue its not «foreshadowing» as much as its just world building. This is the first we see of the civilian colonist side of things, and its established that the Company sucks and everyone knows it. It’s a good and cool scene.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Biplane posted:

ID argue its not «foreshadowing» as much as its just world building. This is the first we see of the civilian colonist side of things, and its established that the Company sucks and everyone knows it. It’s a good and cool scene.

Nah I mean specifically the line about how she hides in places the other kids can't get to. Foreshadowing how she manages to survive when the xenos start hatching. The world building with the colonists is fine imo.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

purple death ray posted:

Nah I mean specifically the line about how she hides in places the other kids can't get to. Foreshadowing how she manages to survive when the xenos start hatching. The world building with the colonists is fine imo.

Yeah I watched the first half of the Director's Cut on Halloween and I think it kind of seems unnecessary. The part where Newt's dad has the facehugger on is very, "Here we go again!" Kind of like off-camera deaths, I think it's kind of cooler to leave how it happened up to your imagination.

However, the DC has the turret scene and the backstory on Ripley's daughter, so I would take that version anyday.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I liked that they showed the colony. In the regular cut they just say that there's a colony and they lost contact. Kinda didn't have much of an impact on me since I didn't know what it was or who was there. I think showing the workers and kids and families there made it feel more real. You get to see the people who are about to get royally hosed.

I don't understand the pacing argument. It's like <5 minutes.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yeah, an ideal cut would retain the stuff cut from after the Marines are introduced. The "life on the outpost" stuff, while fine in a vacuum, seems superfluous and Ripley's daughter, I won't miss too much if it were excised.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The colony scenes are neat, and I like them, but I do not like them in the movie :colbert:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't know man, I think the theatrical cut is perfect from beginning until the marines arrive. It keeps the story with Ripley and the whole mystery of what happened to the colony. You really don't need the foreshadowing because you got that by watching Alien.

Sunswipe posted:

There's mystery about what happened to the colony?

Exactly. The moment you bought your ticket you knew what was up when the colony was non responsive. Like, it’s right there in the movie’s title.

Although it would have been a pretty goddamn hilarious fake-out if the Marines went to the colony, found it was a downed transmitter, and then the entire rest of the movie is a deep meditation about illegal immigrants in space or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

I liked that they showed the colony. In the regular cut they just say that there's a colony and they lost contact. Kinda didn't have much of an impact on me since I didn't know what it was or who was there. I think showing the workers and kids and families there made it feel more real. You get to see the people who are about to get royally hosed.

I don't understand the pacing argument. It's like <5 minutes.

Yeah, I actually watched it for the first time in a while and totally forgot that they showed other families, rich I thought was neat. My memory of it was that it just showed Newt and her parents driving to the alien ship.