Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

T3hRen3gade posted:

At some point after seeing this I learned that Sex-Head is the voice actress for Tommy Pickles in "Rugrats." That made me love "The Devil's Rejects" even more. I mean seriously, that's hilariously hosed up.

I prefer to think of her as Dottie from Pee Wee's Big Adventure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smitster
Apr 9, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I thought I'd be burned out on horror after the 50 movies for the challenge but since then I've watched Midsommar and Salems Lot. Still hungry I guess! I liked Midsommar - beautiful and hilarious and gristly in all the right places. Salems Lot was good, but Barlow's head slam caught me off guard - I didn't expect those kind of shenanigans! Then I started hoping for more goofy moves like that and was disappointed.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Whoa horror thread is last on the page, can't have that.

Jason Lives is the best one.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

smitster posted:

I thought I'd be burned out on horror after the 50 movies for the challenge but since then I've watched Midsommar and Salems Lot. Still hungry I guess! I liked Midsommar - beautiful and hilarious and gristly in all the right places. Salems Lot was good, but Barlow's head slam caught me off guard - I didn't expect those kind of shenanigans! Then I started hoping for more goofy moves like that and was disappointed.

I use the analogy of priming a well. I spend so much of October going through horror movies, that I'm still pretty much into them for weeks after October. It also doesn't start getting cold where I live until November. And I spend so much time watching new-to-me films that I miss out on a lot of classics during October. So I just keep the momentum going and watch more horror movies that are more fun when it's cold.

I tend to like watching a lot of action movies and noir films in November, and I play more video games and read more, but I am still quick to pick a horror film when I wanna watch something.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I definitely ended October with a big list of horror movies to watch this year.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

married but discreet posted:

Man, Tigers Are Not Afraid really isn't very good, is it? Of all the sad children escaping into fantasy world entries, this might be one of the more generic and predictable. The magical realism somehow manages to make the whole thing worse.

Yeah, I wasn't big on it, either. I think it's okay, but I don't think I would recommend it. The supernatural elements felt tacked on, like they were fit into a pre-existing script.

The movie looks pretty good, though, even if it is a little derivative.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sarchasm posted:

Yeah, I wasn't big on it, either. I think it's okay, but I don't think I would recommend it. The supernatural elements felt tacked on, like they were fit into a pre-existing script.

The movie looks pretty good, though, even if it is a little derivative.

Agreed, I didn't think it was bad but it's something I've seen before and it didn't really have any surprises for me. The cinematography is good but it isn't good enough to carry the whole thing.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

grindhouse video is having a sale i got the addiction and living dead at manchester morgue on bluray for 30 united states dollars

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

married but discreet posted:

Man, Tigers Are Not Afraid really isn't very good, is it? Of all the sad children escaping into fantasy world entries, this might be one of the more generic and predictable. The magical realism somehow manages to make the whole thing worse.

Oh man, I strongly disagree with you on this one. Not only did I really enjoy it, it's now one of my favorite horror movies of all time and I loved the magic realism.

It's always weird when you come across someone who loves/hates something you hate/love for all the reasons you hate/love it.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
My only problem with Tigers are Not Afraid was that the child acting was a little bad in spots.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kvlt! posted:

grindhouse video is having a sale i got the addiction and living dead at manchester morgue on bluray for 30 united states dollars

Excellent choices, kvlt.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Oh man, I strongly disagree with you on this one. Not only did I really enjoy it, it's now one of my favorite horror movies of all time and I loved the magic realism.

It's always weird when you come across someone who loves/hates something you hate/love for all the reasons you hate/love it.

Glad I'm not the only one who loved it. I wouldn't say it's an all time fave, but definitely in the top 5 horror flicks I've seen this year. Which says more about how good this year was for horror than anything bad about Tigers

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I thought Tigers Are Not Afraid was pretty strong but it's not sticking with me as much as I thought I would. I'm not sure that's any real fault of the film, though, like maybe it's not terribly complex (but then the situation it shows is kinda simple- obviously drug lords running entire towns and murdering anyone they please is bad, and it's also what's happening in places, so...)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Halloween never ends

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I've been talking up this movie a lot so maybe I'm guilty of seeing too high expectations but I've seen it three times now and i think it's incredibly powerful and has definitely stuck with me. I've seen other magical realism films but nothing even close to having that level of impact.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!
This is from eight thousand pages back but I didn't see anybody mention it in the interim so I don't give a gently caress.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Lake on Fire (aka Conspiracy Theory)

I want to hear your (and anyone else who's watched it's) thoughts on this, especially as it relates to That cameo.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
Watched Habit (1997). Written, directed and starring Larry Fessenden. Sam, a slacker with a drinking problem hooks up with a slightly weird woman at a party. She never eats or drinks,
doesn't like the smell of garlic, likes to suck Sam's blood and is only ever seen after dark. Well, she turns out to be a vampire and is gradualy sucking the life out of Sam. This is probably what The Room would have been like if Tommy Wiseau was a good filmmaker and had his way with Johny being a vampire. A cool grimy drama set in 90s New York that just happens to also have a vampire in it. It could be read as a metaphor for Sam's alcoholism and an unhealthy relationship, but the movie goes all in at the vampire angle towards the end. I liked it a lot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Basebf555 posted:

It's November, dogg, we're in our refractory period.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Color Out Of Space trailer looks doooooope

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I certainly wouldn't question anyone liking Tigers Are Not Afraid, I'd recommend I Am Not Scared (io non ho paura) next. It's horror adjacent but it's really good.

Grainy italian trailer, the US trailer is awful and spoilery.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue_5Nrusgdc

edit: Also CP's photography rules!

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 7, 2019

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the tenderness of wolves was an...uncomftorable watch. Fantastic performance tho.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

It's November, dogg, we're in our refractory period.

If not for me the horror thread could've fallen into the darkness of the second page. You should be celebrating me as a hero.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I finally received my Scream Factory order yesterday, so horror time is just beginning for me.

I really need to show off the shameful amount of unwatched movies sitting on my shelf right now, and with Black Friday sales approaching, it's only going to get worse. :negative:

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Kvlt! posted:

the tenderness of wolves was an...uncomftorable watch. Fantastic performance tho.

It really is. One of the all time best movie titles too.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

I finally received my Scream Factory order yesterday, so horror time is just beginning for me.

I really need to show off the shameful amount of unwatched movies sitting on my shelf right now, and with Black Friday sales approaching, it's only going to get worse. :negative:

Scream Factory always annoys me because they'll drop some great stuff at the very end of October or the beginning of November. Like, this year it was The Blob and The Devil Rides Out. At least those were October 29th though, so theoretically people could've had them by Halloween. Last year they released Candyman in the first week of November. Release that poo poo in September so people can have it in their hands for October!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

COOL CORN posted:

It's not bad but I think Cage actually drags it down a bit. He's hamming it up so much that it comes off like self parody and it gets in the way of the actual story. There is a lot of cool poo poo in the movie but it didn't work as well as it did have, for me.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

COOL CORN posted:

Tommy Chong spotted

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I'm sold

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheInvisibleMan/status/1192471862304882688

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

that looks great, I love Elizabeth Moss and I'm glad she's getting leading roles

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Basebf555 posted:

The Horror Thread has Risen from the Page

(obviously!)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I love that premise for an Invisible Man movie.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Yeah that looks great. I wish they were going to do more stuff like that with the Universal horror properties instead of doubling down on the “we could be the next Marvel!!” with a quippy Paul Feig movie

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Leigh Whannell is not a good actor, but I really liked Upgrade, and this take on The Invisible Man seems cool. Glad he's getting a chance to direct more.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Hey now, he's good at death scenes.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
Gravedancers is a great little ghost movie but wow does it have one of the most out of place garbage uses of CG I've seen in a while.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Patch Radical posted:

I want to hear your (and anyone else who's watched it's) thoughts on [Lake On Fire], especially as it relates to That cameo.

I'm not sure which cameo you're talking about, but Lake On Fire (aka Conspiracy Theory) is just an excellent fuckin' movie.

For me, it's interesting that it's part of a recent trend of hoax films in the found-footage (sub)genre. It was always the case with many of these films, but the recent trend has been to shift decisively toward examining how people react to faked events, faked footage. (That includes recent thread-favorites Hell House LLC and Butterfly Kisses.) There aren't really any special effects per se, unlike Grave Encounters with its impossible CGI ghosts. Instead, the events are almost explicitly un-supernatural.

The different approaches are interesting:

Butterfly Kisses is ultimately about a guy who creates this pretty average found-footage movie in 2004, but it goes unreleased. So he dusts it off later, and the question is: how can he make this actually-scary when the found footage genre is all too familiar at this point? He could probably put it up on some streaming site for some modest success, but he's desperately trying to recapture that Blair Witch frenzy - and he just can't. So he dies a failure. Maybe that's scarier than whatever slenderman knockoff? Probably not.

On the other hand, Hell House LLC goes in the direction of The Last Exorcism: when you break down the events, there is a satanic conspiracy - but it's a mundane conspiracy by ironic satanists, going to great lengths to spook the normies. They've bought this entire small town and are conducting fake ritualistic killings, purely in the hopes that someone will eventually make a documentary about it. This was evident even before Part 2 pushed things into explicit bullshit territory. (Don't watch Part 2. It's a glorified dvd bonus feature.)

Part 3, then,reveals that the satanic conspiracy was, itself, an elaborate and pretentious multimedia vanity project by a mad billionaire hoping to promote Christian morality. It's really dumb.

Lake On Fire is the best of the three films, with a very precise takedown of Ancient Aliens stuff. In it, the conspiracy theorists are unthinkingly complicit in spreading government propaganda and disinformation, under the belief that it's all just ironic kitschy fun. It's also hilarious.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 7, 2019

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
Hey SuperMecha, I've always found your ideas pretty interesting, you got some picks for your favorite horror films of the decade?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Hey SuperMecha, I've always found your ideas pretty interesting, you got some picks for your favorite horror films of the decade?

It would be a big list of found footage, so: top non-ff, in no particular order:

Crawl or Die
The Crazies
Lone Survivor
Prometheus /Covenant
Under the Skin
The Call Up
Exeter
Chernobyl Diaries
Nocturnal Animals
Beneath (the Larry Fessenden one)
Human Centipede 2
Maniac
The Thing
Beyond the Black Rainbow
Mother!
Life
Kill Command

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It would be a big list of found footage, so: top non-ff, in no particular order:

Crawl or Die
The Crazies
Lone Survivor
Prometheus /Covenant
Under the Skin
The Call Up
Exeter
Chernobyl Diaries
Nocturnal Animals
Beneath (the Larry Fessenden one)
Human Centipede 2
Maniac
The Thing
Beyond the Black Rainbow
Mother!
Life
Kill Command

As a massive FF fan I'd love to see those picks too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The original The Crazies or the remake?