Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i just got tired of his whole thing. most games i liked, he didnt and vice versa. plus his humor got old. in the old videos, he had some great insightful moments but now its kinda the same thing.

Similar story here; I stopped watching Yahtzee a few years ago, because he was both less funny and also felt like he was being disingenuous for the sake of it, outright contradicting himself in the same video sometimes, alongside seeming to buy into some of the CHUD-ier/GG-esque things going on too.

Take his Overwatch review, where he actually started complaining about Tracer's rear end, then used that incident as proof of Blizzard pandering to people without actually having any vision, designing each character to for maximum appeal to different niches... And used Tracer as an example of, well, an oversexualized character meant to bring in horny people.

He made these arguments less than a minute apart, claiming in apparent seriousness that Blizzard "censoring" Tracer's rear end because of one prudish complaint is proof that Tracer's design is solely meant for sex appeal, and that's why she wears skintight clothes that show off the shape of her rear end.

(Never mind that the actual incident just involved one person saying that a pose of Tracer's seemed out of character and the artist agreeing, replacing the original pose with a different one that showed off her rear end just as much as the original but conveyed her personality better. No any actual censorship or whatever, no angry coercion or people being cowed by SJWs, just an artist willingly taking feedback and acting on it, and not even reducing the amount of rear end-showing in the game when doing so.)

I don't even like Overwatch, but with him so blatantly just saying whatever nonsense he thinks will get attention that he doesn't even care to keep his argument consistent for a full minute, I think that video wound up being the last straw, after I had already checked out of his content for the most part and hadn't been regularly keeping up with it for some time. I'm not sure what he's been up to since then; I feel like I've heard a few things in the meantime, but haven't felt the need to check out his stuff at all again.

Edit: I'm not exaggerating either; I was curious if I was remembering things wrong, did a quick Google search, and found the transcript of the video. Not only did he do what I said above, but he threw in an insult about "gender specials" as well. I was wondering why I had the feeling that he was an outright shithead, on top of a crappy reviewer, but couldn't remember why.

quote:

Remember that little controversy when Blizzard cut out a pose of a character sticking her bum out because one person complained? That annoyed me. Not because of my personal bum preferences but because making a change after one solitary complaint shows just how little poo poo they gave about artistic vision. Every character is an archetype cynically designed to pander to some section of the audience. There's the obvious eye-candy girlies wearing cling film [this is where pics of Widowmaker and Tracer pop up to make sure we know who he's talking about, less than five sentences after he says Blizzard intentionally toned down her sex appeal to placate a single person], but there's also a muscle lady and a chubby girl in specs, so the gender specials don't throw a strop. Then we'll have two samurais and a mecha girl for the weeaboos, a cowboy for dudes with slightly weird ideas about the masculine ideal and a skullface murderer for dudes with even weirder ideas about the masculine ideal.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

'Gender specials.'

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Eschenique posted:

Anyone got any dirt on Yahtzee Croshaw? He always seemed like kind of a piece of poo poo but he's popular so ya do ya do.

Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw ruined our harvest and blighted my goats. I curse his name to this very day.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Yahtzee Croshaw Ate My Balls.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

gender specials and special genders!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

afaik yahtzee's just a sort of dull and unremarkable bad, whose jokes can be pretty misogynistic and queerphobic but who doesn't stretch his neck out enough to do anything particularly heinous

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

He did start the lovely "PC gaming master race" meme, although in all fairness it was a five second joke about PC elitism worth a sensible chuckle when he said it, before idiots started running with it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the trick with gender specials is you have to press and hold the button, do the motion, then release the button to get it to register properly.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bug Squash posted:

He did start the lovely "PC gaming master race" meme, although in all fairness it was a five second joke about PC elitism worth a sensible chuckle when he said it, before idiots started running with it.

yea you can't really blame him, the thing was clearly a little 'ha ha get it because some PC gamers are dickheads about it' goof, it wasn't his doing that a bunch of those freaks went 'yea...YEA WE ARE THE MASTER RACE!!!'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

sexpig by night posted:

yea you can't really blame him, the thing was clearly a little 'ha ha get it because some PC gamers are dickheads about it' goof, it wasn't his doing that a bunch of those freaks went 'yea...YEA WE ARE THE MASTER RACE!!!'

But enough about TotalBiscuit.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i just got tired of his whole thing. most games i liked, he didnt and vice versa. plus his humor got old. in the old videos, he had some great insightful moments but now its kinda the same thing.
I feel Jim Sterling does his job much better too

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

achillesforever6 posted:

I feel Jim Sterling does his job much better too

yeah, i am not a giant fan of sterling(nothing personal towards him, his persona annoys me and i feel like some of his gripes are mixed) but yeah pretty much.

Bug Squash posted:

i find that line funny still, what sucks is the PC types believe it and took it seriously and than called themselves it.

https://twitter.com/ContraPoints/status/1192207583467184128

also, i'll toss this grenade into the room and let whoever wants to jump on it.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Well, Contra has left Twitter and I'm sure that she'll be back next week and-OH MY GOD REVIEWBRAH NEARLY DIED

https://twitter.com/IAmReviewbrah/status/1192157562411638785?s=19

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I feel like announcing it when you do it just sets up this huge sword of Damocles situation that never goes away. Better to just leave if you’re leaving.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kim Justice posted:

Well, Contra has left Twitter and I'm sure that she'll be back next week and-OH MY GOD REVIEWBRAH NEARLY DIED

Is this that sweet kid who reviews fast food?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Kim Justice posted:

The worst thing i heard all week... Godspeed...

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kim Justice posted:

Jesus christ that's a brutal story, glad he made it without the worst case at least.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Is this that sweet kid who reviews fast food?

yea, aka the one unironically good fast food review on youtube

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Confession: I actually liked when Yahtzee and Jim Sterling did poetry videos on The Escapist.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Remember Natalie loves and supports non binary people but not enough to not platform buck angel who hates them and thinks they're not valid

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery
The last time I watched any MrEnter was several years ago, and considering back then I was even dumber than I am now, the fact that I still thought his videos were annoying garbage should say something. He just seemed like the endgame of the 'rage' critic brand, where every video is a recitation of a cartoon plot with various ways to say "this doesn't make any sense this animation is gross these characters are such bad people" every 10 seconds, and basically no levity or variety of perspectives/angles. Also his enunciation made him sound like an 8-year-old, which was pathetic and unbearable to listen to. Surprised anyone on this forum would give him the light of day (I know it was only a couple people but still)--has he improved significantly in the last few years or something?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ash Crimson posted:

Remember Natalie loves and supports non binary people but not enough to not platform buck angel who hates them and thinks they're not valid

Nat and her buds are proof of the old saying being true, words speak louder than actions.

Wait a sec...

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

yea, aka the one unironically good fast food review on youtube

Food reviewer

I do reviews on the YouTube

You've never known such a cool dude

I keep it so fly

And do you know why?

It's cuz I know whether to buy that food

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Anyone who makse Bioshock Infinite his game of the year is clearly not to be trusted.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
ReviewBrah somehow still manages to have a neat haircut after nearly dying.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kim Justice posted:

Food reviewer

I do reviews on the YouTube

You've never known such a cool dude

I keep it so fly

And do you know why?

It's cuz I know whether to buy that food

Kim do british people still eat parmos?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

the trick with gender specials is you have to press and hold the button, do the motion, then release the button to get it to register properly.

I feel like a good negative edge joke could branch off of this but I can't figure out how to lead into it.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Kim do british people still eat parmos?

You can only get a proper parmo in the North East. Diehard parmo heads would go further and say Middlesbrough only. Or Newcastle.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Yahtzee hasn't really progressed comedically over the years, which is why I fell away from his work. The Chzo games weren't that bad, though.

Also The Gender Specials is the name of my new ska band.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Kim Justice posted:

Alex Navarro of Giantbomb put it best when this guy is someone directly out of a Wes Anderson film. His stuff is fantastic. I wish him a speedy and thorough recover.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Kim Justice posted:

Didn't this kid end up being a chud?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uh. No?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Neo_Crimson posted:

mods

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Reviewbrah is just a nice guy as far as I know

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

tilda swinton is getting too old to do her own stunts.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I listen to his podcast and he absolutely is.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Neo_Crimson posted:

No he's just the one who dresses like them while being actually respectable. He's also the one who got stalked.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
who tf is slandering reviewbrah itt

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
lmao seriously is everyone going to ask this of every new internet personality that comes up

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

we're all chuds now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

On one hand it’s getting kinda silly to just ask if every Internet personality is the loving worst, on the other hand most of them are so it’s easier to just assume that they suck and let them positively surprise you