Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

New Mutants was fun. They seem much more back to their OG personalities, and it's again super nice for Wolfsbane to not be dead. Especially Magik who is much more fun when she's snarkier. Amusingly it does kind of retroactively make a scene in X-Men a little weird, but it's a good time.

X-Force is fine. Like it's mostly set up and things happen but it's not bad

(When did Karma lose a leg?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
New Mutants was pretty great, but it's always been my favorite team so I'm biased.

If Excalibur brought back Jamie Braddock, then Mad Jim Jaspers is probably on Krakoa somewhere. That's spooky.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

New Mutants is visually gorgeous. The pencils and the colouring are stupendous - the pencils have this classic comics look, very rounded, striking, friendly figures, but then the painting over the top of them makes everything dreamy and modern.

The scene with Doug and Mondo's a great example. Doug straight up looks like Johnny Quest on a linework level, and then the paints add layers of shading and overrun the lines to make that clean, iconic figure into a more visually rich and complex one. Rod Reis is doing all the art on this, on checking the credits, and he's nailing it.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

X-force

I've been warming up to this thing about Krakoa being the ultimate safe haven that mutants could escape to after all the poo poo they've been through the years. Could we not have gone longer than a month before the defenses are breached, hilariously easily I might add, and people get blown apart?

hexate
Sep 13, 2012

What do you mean it's not Tom Cruise?

Laughing Zealot posted:

X-force

I've been warming up to this thing about Krakoa being the ultimate safe haven that mutants could escape to after all the poo poo they've been through the years. Could we not have gone longer than a month before the defenses are breached, hilariously easily I might add, and people get blown apart?

While overall, I thought it was an decent introductory issue with an interesting undercurrent, the "shocking twist" at the end is cause for concern, as it retreads the same sort of problematic narrative ground that the X-Men just escaped for simple shock value. It's pretty clear that this twist will be undone or shown to be a fakeout.

Re: New Mutants
The art was gorgeous, though it does surprise me that this group isn't being used for the Excalibur plot. I've always thought the New Mutants work best in fantasy or high fantasy settings.

hexate fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 6, 2019

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Well, New Mutants is delightful. I’m in the middle of a reread of the OG series and this just feels like such a perfect return to form, without Bobby being a total dickhead 100% of the time.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
(X-Force) I'm waiting for The twist to be: "Psychic barriers against two of the four most powerful Earth-born telepaths in the universe? You thought.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I marked out for the space lawyer reveal.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
We already know that mutant resurrection is a standard process in Krakoa by now, so the meat of the story isn't about any particular death sticking or not.

Rather, the story is more about what will be the meaning or consequences of what happened, even if the person easily returns to life.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I don't know who Reis is, but using him on New Mutants definitely gives that Sienkewicz vibe and it's loving great. Book looks fun, though I think all of these books will do better when they get past the expository poo poo explaining Krakoa. Is the "no thought bubbles" poo poo still an edict at Marvel? Or are they also not allowed to have omniscient narrator boxes? Because characters talking those things outloud is way worse.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Dawgstar posted:

(When did Karma lose a leg?)

During the Second Coming crossover, in a fight with Cameron Hodge.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Kudos to New Mutants for reminding me that Cyclops dad is a complete and utter poo poo.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Honestly I'm going to miss Roberto as a USAvenger. Him being master keikaku was fun as hell, to the point where I almost felt like he no longer belonged with all the X-Men/mutant stuff.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Gologle posted:

Honestly I'm going to miss Roberto as a USAvenger. Him being master keikaku was fun as hell, to the point where I almost felt like he no longer belonged with all the X-Men/mutant stuff.

Yeah, all that was excellent. I had a good, hearty laugh at him getting so easily duped by the rest of the gang.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I really, really enjoyed New Mutants. Hickman seems to have the heart of the team down already, and the art was beautiful. I wasn't as fond of X-Force, but I'll give it another issue, at least. I liked it better than Excalibur, if nothing else.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Everything about New Mutants is tremendous and fills me with joy.

Everything about X-Force seemed kinda boring, as has pretty much all X-Force runs I've ever bothered to read

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Kudos to New Mutants for reminding me that Cyclops dad is a complete and utter poo poo.

Corsair: leaving kids to fend for themselves in a hostile world is his only move.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

I really, really enjoyed New Mutants. Hickman seems to have the heart of the team down already, and the art was beautiful. I wasn't as fond of X-Force, but I'll give it another issue, at least. I liked it better than Excalibur, if nothing else.

Yeah, if you told me Claremont's New Mutants was one of Hickman's favorite books, I'd believe you.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
What's up with Warlock? Is he just Doug's arm now or can we expect him to be back at any point?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, if you told me Claremont's New Mutants was one of Hickman's favorite books, I'd believe you.

There's a reason Sunspot and Cannonball were on his Avengers team when they'd never really even been properly used in the X-Men books let alone been part of the larger Marvel Universe.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah when he gave his top 5 it was Magneto, Emma, Sinister, Monet and then Bobby and Sam tied at 5.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lmao Corsair you fuckhole

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah when he gave his top 5 it was Magneto, Emma, Sinister, Monet and then Bobby and Sam tied at 5.

Monet? Wow.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

X-Force felt like the same kind of wheels-spinning mutant hating story that made the X-series feel so tired for so long before this

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Parallax posted:

X-Force felt like the same kind of wheels-spinning mutant hating story that made the X-series feel so tired for so long before this

I was slightly interested by the poo poo with Domino and whatever cabal she was among, but holy poo poo what an unexciting story of “super soldiers with guns + tech attack the XMen”

Though I do think that those super soldiers have some of Dominos DNA (maybe literal skin? They all had white streaks on their body) in order to trick Krakoa

Black Tom Cassidy: Avatar of Krakoa loving ruled too

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

yeah, you know Xavier's going to be back up again. :| theres like stuff thats interesting to see but mostly a lot of stuff we've seen before.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Synthbuttrange posted:

lmao Corsair you fuckhole

I'm so glad that somebody remembered that Corsair is a giant rear end in a top hat, actually. It's a more interesting version of the character by far.

New Mutants looks gorgeous. Really almost Sienkiewicz-esque in some spots, but in general it's a pretty tonally different style. It's really good.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Okay out of the first issues, X-Men, Marauders, New Mutants are pretty neat. Excalibur is a bit weird but who knows how that'll go. X-Force is the clunker of the group, being way way too much like stuff we've seen before. Who's the writer anyway?

Detective Comics #35–36 (October–November 2014) "Terminal" (with John Paul Leon)
Volume 7: Anarky (hc, 176 pages, 2016) collects
Green Arrow Volume 6 #41–52 (with Patrick Zircher, June 2015–May 2016)[3]
Green Arrow Volume 7 #1-38 (with Otto Schmidt and Juan Ferreyra, October 2016–March 2018)
Teen Titans Volume 6 #1-20 (with Jonboy Meyers, Wade Von Grawbadger, and Khoi Pham, November 2016-July 2018)
Volume 1: Damian Knows Best (sc, 144 pages, 2017) collects
Volume 2: The Rise of Aqualad (sc, 128 pages, 2018) collects
Volume 3: The Return of Kid Flash (sc, 152 pages, 2018) collects
James Bond: Black Box #1-6 (March-August 2017) (with Rapha Lobosco)
James Bond: Black Box (hc, 176 pages, 2017) collects
Nightwing Volume 4 #44-50 (with Chris Mooneyham and Amancay Nahuelpan, July-December 2018)

vOv

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I can see what people mean about X-Force. It's definitely just...we're less than one month into the new status quo and already mutant children are being shot in the head. Of course the extenuating caveat here is that they can all come back now, but still. C'mon. Issue number one.

And also the the thing where there's apparently maneating monsters roaming Krakoa is like...look, I'm of course of the opinion that this new mutant paradise is more of a crazy sham than anything else, but making it so that they're apparently living on Danger Island just feels like forcing grunge and edginess into a status quo that was supposed to fix that sort of thing. Is Krakoa friendly to mutants or isn't it? It doesn't get to be both. We might as well put the school back in Limbo if that's the case.

At least we get some new insight into how the operations are run, and hopefully we'll get more in-depth into the resurrection protocols as well now that baldy's bitten it. It might be as prosaic as "Jean pops him into a new body, the end," but maybe not.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Maybe it’s an excuse to cause a problem surrounding Prof’s “back ups”

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
New Mutants is one of the funniest comics I've read all year. Holy poo poo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Blockhouse posted:

New Mutants is one of the funniest comics I've read all year. Holy poo poo.

All of the Summer kids various problems can be explained with "Corsair is a goddamned piece of poo poo."

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

New Mutants whips rear end and I want 500 more pages of it.

X-Force was a bit of an eye roller. Hopefully, next issue shows how meaningless these grimdark human terrorists attacks are when everyone gets revived.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'll be for X-Force if it turns into Domino's team book.

Ezis
Oct 10, 2001

I'm getting some real John McAfee vibes from Corsair

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I think the 'shocking' ending of X-Force has to be done purposely to elicit some of these reactions. Hickman has reiterated that mutant resurrection means death can't be used as a plot point and that there has to be stories beyond so-and-so is now dead. You can't have that sort of edict and then throw it out not even a month into your relaunch. Therefore, I think it's meant to be a wink at that sort of poo poo.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I can't help but keep thinking that yes, okay, mutant resurrection is totally a thing, but that don't mean that kid who saw her mom get shot in the face in front of her isn't gonna be in mad therapy for the rest of her life.

Unless you have Xavier delete the memory, but that's its own can of worms.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Wanderer posted:

I can't help but keep thinking that yes, okay, mutant resurrection is totally a thing, but that don't mean that kid who saw her mom get shot in the face in front of her isn't gonna be in mad therapy for the rest of her life.

That memory would not have been backed up in the previous download sesh

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

He’s talking the kids memory. Mom won’t remember getting shot, but the kid will remember she did. I‘ll give the book a couple more issues to get the team together, but this didn’t wow me.

I’m really just waiting to see what Quire thinks of Krakoa. And I wonder what happened to baby Krakoa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Wanderer posted:

"A Can Of Worms" could the the title of Xavier's autobiography.