Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gently caress Duke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
gently caress a Jayhawk. Duke shot 38% and still won. Feels like the only thing we know for certain is that Kansas ain’t good.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Yay we won at Clemson! VT is not going to be good this year, but we should definitely improve throughout the year. First time Clemson's lost a season opener since '84 :v:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

iospace posted:

gently caress Duke

Adun posted:

gently caress a Jayhawk.

This basically sums up all of my NCAA basketball thoughts in the first two posts and please don't look at my team.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

lots of games yesterday! in addition to duke kansas one other thing that stands out to me is st mary's beating wisconsin in sioux city south dakota, of all places, in overtime. i always kinda like the gaels. also penn beat alabama lol

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

*clears throat* Go Cayuts.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Maxey loving rules

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

oystertoadfish posted:

lots of games yesterday! in addition to duke kansas one other thing that stands out to me is st mary's beating wisconsin in sioux city south dakota, of all places, in overtime. i always kinda like the gaels. also penn beat alabama lol

That arena in Sioux Falls is really cool, Iowa played there a couple years ago

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

it's so random but i guess sioux falls is a regional metropolis. i've seen that SANFORD PENTAGON around before like you mention, they get games, so who am i to judge

in one of these threads i was told that these sanford people are the richest family around, so everything in sioux falls is named after them

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I watched the florida gators. Kerry Blackshear is ridiculous. We finally have a big man to be excited about again :unsmith:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Lmao Sparty. Way to show off that #1 ranking

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Lmao Sparty. Way to show off that #1 ranking

Snitches get stitches.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Adun posted:

gently caress a Jayhawk. Duke shot 38% and still won. Feels like the only thing we know for certain is that Kansas ain’t good.

28 turnovers and Duke won by 2. If Kansas ain't good, Duke ain't good.

Imagine the score if you have 28 turnovers against a great team

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

kiimo posted:

28 turnovers and Duke won by 2. If Kansas ain't good, Duke ain't good.

Imagine the score if you have 28 turnovers against a great team

I've been hearing that Kansas's bigs are phenomenal while their backcourt play is suspect. 28 turnovers sorta shows that out.

Duke had 16 turnovers themselves. Not a great showing in the first game for either team, but teams are much different by game 5.

e: Tech easily handled a 25 point win over a bad team. The team struggled to close out on 3 point shooters, but that's what this defense will give up.

Ramsey hardly left the floor and the offense will most definitely move through him this year. Terrance Shannon got a surprise start over Clarke, and finished with 11 points in 24 minutes. Kyler Edwards didn't do much in his 25 minutes on the court, but he's always been a streaky shooter.

Tech got a lot more out of Russell Tchewa than I expected, with 13 quite good minutes. He's still raw, especially on the offensive end, but if Beard can mold him into a defensive presence in 2 months time, he'll certainly be a key to matching up with Kansas. Hollyfield also looked a lot better than he had in exhibition. His only contribution after 15 left in the 2nd is a turnover and he still finished with 15 points and 6 rebounds. I'd say he's a nightly double-double threat.

FR forward Tyreek Smith apparently had surgery on his foot a few weeks ago and has anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks before he'll be ready to see the floor. If he wasn't injured, Tech would have gone 12 deep

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 6, 2019

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
https://twitter.com/SLAMonline/status/1192189998323437570?s=20

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i completely missed that there was a division I team named california baptist university. apparently they're out in riverside, and they're in the venerable WAC. good for them i guess???

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

kayakyakr posted:

I've been hearing that Kansas's bigs are phenomenal while their backcourt play is suspect. 28 turnovers sorta shows that out.

Duke had 16 turnovers themselves. Not a great showing in the first game for either team, but teams are much different by game 5.

Azubuike couldn't do much against the double team and a lot of the turnovers came from fuckups from McCormack trying to pass out of the post. There were a lot of plays heavily dependent on communication that just weren't coming out right and, in my opinion, too many opportunities where you have a 2 on 2 fast break, the off ball guy has his defender peeling off, but not early enough, and the ball handler instead of just driving it and taking his chances that the double team will come late (which, to be fair, the refs were really hesitant to ever call anything when Duke defenders went up to be honest), they just pass it off too late. Or just bad passes in that go overhead, etc. A lot bad communication, which is weird since Kansas was the more veteran team.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

oystertoadfish posted:

in riverside....good for them

disagree

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I was just made aware that yesterday, USC freshman Onyeka Okongwu went out and put up 20 points, 13 rebounds and 8 blocks. And he only picked up 1 foul in the process

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Of course it was against NAU so too early to really tell how real this is, but Zeke Nnaji was really impressive.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Northwestern is going to stink but they have a player named Boo Bouie so I'm ok.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
Virginia ball-stomped Syracuse last night, 48-34. Defense was awesome at 0.58 PPP, setting records for Syracuse futility at home. Offense, not so much (4-25 from 3? yikes), the young guys have to learn quick. The biggest concern I have is that PG Kihei Clark played all 40 minutes. The dude's in incredible shape, but we need someone to give him a rest at times.

Off a national championship and with expectations relatively low, it's gonna be a fun year to watch.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
48 points: a fun team to watch.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
:getin:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

vcu looks okay but also st francis isn’t v good

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1192935429835755522

:lol:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Lmao

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/rich_hofmann/status/1192938534782603264?s=21

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So what does that mean for Penny?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Oh apparently it was 2018, not 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

lmao

NCAA strikes again

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1192939397114716163?s=19

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Still lame

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Would this have been an issue had he gone somewhere else? Or is it just because Penny was/is a Memphis booster?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sucks for Wiseman but I hope Penny gets raked over the coals because he’s a huge whiny baby and it’s hilarious

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Penny is cool actually

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nah

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Pays players, did this dunk, I dunno seems pretty dope imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpjW4xd1TRU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
And that was quick

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1192944686866075650

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

I think this is just for tonight’s game because of a temporary injunction.