Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Heads up to all the zen 2 AMD users. Msi just pushed out a beta bios update for their mobos. Just updated my tomahawk b450 and the game finally runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Trying to play online on PC, and it feels like no one bought the PC version, but it probably isn't that at all; it's just that hardly anyone can actually play it. I have yet to get a competitive match that was full.

Red Dead Online with faster load times, and 60fps is incredibly nice, but I am wondering myself if it was worth double dipping on this.

Online isnt the wasteland it was but it still struggles to keep me coming back. The bounty/trading/collector things are profitable but get boring. I definitely have more fun when I'm im the mood to make my own fun and don't get hung up on the money grind.

It took GTAO a long time to become the weird thing is it today, I'm sure RDRO will get there eventually. The original RDRO was really engaging, but that took ages to get good too.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
New MSI B450 Tomahawk bios out just now with 1.004!

Here's hoping it does the trick!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sleekly posted:

Online isnt the wasteland it was but it still struggles to keep me coming back. The bounty/trading/collector things are profitable but get boring. I definitely have more fun when I'm im the mood to make my own fun and don't get hung up on the money grind.

It took GTAO a long time to become the weird thing is it today, I'm sure RDRO will get there eventually. The original RDRO was really engaging, but that took ages to get good too.

Yeah, RDO is better than when it launched a year ago, but the money grind is still brutal as gently caress and soul sucking. Like you said, best to just ignore it and make your own fun, especially with friends. If Rockstar wants to make things better, they can populate the free roam map with more activities. Point to where the gang hideouts are for starters.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

They need to make friends visible on the map and make it quicker and easier to reach them.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RDR1 Online is still a superior game, I wish we could get that with RDR2 graphics.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

I said come in! posted:

RDR1 Online is still a superior game, I wish we could get that with RDR2 graphics.

Agreed. The co-op missions were awesome fun. I miss my bull and zebra and apocalypse horsey.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
so Ive made nearly no progress

I love the very slow and deliberate pacing

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Your even had a 'poo poo talk' button! Gestures are lame.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sleekly posted:

Agreed. The co-op missions were awesome fun. I miss my bull and zebra and apocalypse horsey.

Yeah, I miss my loving buffalo mount. The mounts were so awesome, and I fully expected them to be back for RDR2 and it was a pretty huge insult to learn that you can only have horses.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

I said come in! posted:

Yeah, I miss my loving buffalo mount. The mounts were so awesome, and I fully expected them to be back for RDR2 and it was a pretty huge insult to learn that you can only have horses.

I’m sure they’ll turn up eventually (exclusively for gold)

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

I've been lucky so far with no major crashes or stuttering and been having a blast but oof is getting ambushed or held up in the open by bandits a pain. Even keeping the health core topped up it feels like you can go down really easily when you have no cover to run to and when a good chunk of the starting region is full of open plains...again just oof.

Leveling up this HP bar can't go fast enough.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

FuturePastNow posted:

They need to make friends visible on the map and make it quicker and easier to reach them.

If you're in a posse together you should be able to see them as a light blue dot anywhere on the map.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Trying to play online on PC, and it feels like no one bought the PC version, but it probably isn't that at all; it's just that hardly anyone can actually play it. I have yet to get a competitive match that was full.

Red Dead Online with faster load times, and 60fps is incredibly nice, but I am wondering myself if it was worth double dipping on this.

A lot of my friends are just waiting for Steam and I'm wondering how that might affect things. Personally I just saw no reason to wait since Steam needs to use the RGL anyway and RGL was offering a bunch of bonuses for buying there.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

pootiebigwang posted:

Heads up to all the zen 2 AMD users. Msi just pushed out a beta bios update for their mobos. Just updated my tomahawk b450 and the game finally runs.

And they say "MSI does not recommend updating BIOS unless necessary" :v:

I'm keeping my downgraded bios, actually, for now. Until they push out a non-beta one, I'd rather have an old but 100% working bios rather than a new one that might not work or gently caress my PC up

(if anyone tries the beta bios and finds it a Very Good Thing, let us know though :D )

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

eonwe posted:

so Ive made nearly no progress

I love the very slow and deliberate pacing

I know this is a port, but gently caress if this isn't GOTY again.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Bios update for b450 tomahawk fixes my launcher crash; played for a little over an hour with zero issues.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Just getting a different error at the launcher now after that patch

lordy

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

TorakFade posted:

And they say "MSI does not recommend updating BIOS unless necessary" :v:

I'm keeping my downgraded bios, actually, for now. Until they push out a non-beta one, I'd rather have an old but 100% working bios rather than a new one that might not work or gently caress my PC up

(if anyone tries the beta bios and finds it a Very Good Thing, let us know though :D )

Played for a few hours with no hitches. AMD 3600 + GTX 1080 + 16GB ram and getting 60 fps at 1080p on mostly high settings. Nothing to indicate that the bios update is unsafe so far.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Warad posted:

I've been lucky so far with no major crashes or stuttering and been having a blast but oof is getting ambushed or held up in the open by bandits a pain. Even keeping the health core topped up it feels like you can go down really easily when you have no cover to run to and when a good chunk of the starting region is full of open plains...again just oof.

Leveling up this HP bar can't go fast enough.

I’ve found the best strategy for dealing with ambushes is to just ride away as quick as you can for 5-10 seconds. Use that time to draw your weapons etc and heal up before turning around and blasting them.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
My game just crashes if I try to change from Fullscreen to Windowed Borderless. Already run it as admin, disabled fullscreen optimization, updated the BIOS, all that jazz.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
Amazing. The patch actually fixed the launcher crash for me.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

pootiebigwang posted:

Played for a few hours with no hitches. AMD 3600 + GTX 1080 + 16GB ram and getting 60 fps at 1080p on mostly high settings. Nothing to indicate that the bios update is unsafe so far.

Thanks for the heads up. Guess I might try it later, worst case scenario I just revert to the old BIOS, my mobo has direct flash through USB and a dedicated button so I literally can't brick it (I hope)

Hopefully between that and the latest patch I can get a few extra FPS, 40FPS@ 1440p high isn't that bad and is very playable but I'd love to have a little more without having to reduce quality

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I saved a dude getting mauled by a wolf and then went to the wolf carcass to skin it. The whole time the guy was crying "oh god it hurts! I'm going to die aren't I ?"

turns out he was right and he died just as I was walking back from the wolf body.

Sorry partner for thinking you were a crybaby :(

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Is there a list from back when this game first came out of "stuff the game didn't tell you or told you once while you were looking at other stuff that would be useful to know"

Whorelord fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Nov 7, 2019

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Whorelord posted:

Is there a list from back when this game first came out of "stuff the game didn't tell you or told you once while you were looking at other stuff that would be useful to know"

If you can handle YouTube there’s some decent videos in that vein, but 100% avoid reading the comments since they’ll be full of spoilers. That’s how I got spoiled on a major plot twist :smith:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

webmeister posted:

I’m not that guy, but I’ve been playing fine on an i5. I was getting the stuttering pretty constantly in the prologue, but it diminished when I got to the open world proper. The first few times in Valentine were awful, but now I’m mostly done with chapter 2 and I get stutters maybe once an hour if that.

None of the core disabling or process lasso tricks worked for me - maybe it’s because I’m only on a GTX970 and using low settings? 1080p 30fps and the quality sliders are about 3-4/10.

This is my experience as well. I can't really play online because of the stuttering. The stuttering isn't frequent, but if you stutter too hard it disconnects you and shoots you back to the main menu. In GTA5 this would result in a solo lobby, but not in this. Luckily the single player seems like its going to keep me busy for quite some time. As someone who didn't bother to follow anything regarding Red Dead 2 because I don't have a console, this game is everything I wanted and expected it to be. To me it feels like Red Dead 1 was kind of a prototype, and this game is the logical conclusion of GTA5 and Read Dead 1. That's really all I could ask for. My biggest complaint is that every thing is so slow paced that I couldn't imagine replaying it any time soon. Like drat the first couple hours are barely interactive at all. The first time through its all excellent and fresh but becomes a huge slog if you're forced to re-do large portions due to, say, a crash.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Nov 7, 2019

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
It sucks that tons of people aren't even able to play the game, but I will note that I had one persistent crash at the end of one online level, but besides that, I've been playing online with other people just fine.

Got my rear end killed repeatedly for shooting at a red dot on my minimap only to find out it was a bunch of players terrorising a town, but after the fourth time they chased my respawn down, I just quit and reloaded and that was that.

Having a blast being a cowboy online, hope they fix things so we can get more people in here.

Edit: Forgot to note I'm on an i7 and 1080ti in case anyone was wondering, I'm not on an i5 or amd processor

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Anyone else having trouble robbing stores? I put my bandanna on, enter the store and suddenly I cant draw my weapon and threaten the store owner. I get a prompt to aim at him, but if I do that, I enter quick draw mode and shoot him. My item wheel only shows regular items, not weapons inside the store...

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I don't think you can just rob any old store (might be wrong though), but if you find something dodgy around some of them, you'll get the option to do a stick-up when you walk in.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

CVagts posted:

My game just crashes if I try to change from Fullscreen to Windowed Borderless. Already run it as admin, disabled fullscreen optimization, updated the BIOS, all that jazz.

Try using Windowed mode and Borderless Gaming to force it into a borderless mode.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Sleekly posted:

While I don't feel totally contrary to you -- online mode has completely sucked me in.

Ikonoklast
Nov 16, 2007

A beacon for the liars and blind.

Ikonoklast posted:

If anyone experience the same problem as me. You can restart the progress by opening the save game folder, under settings in the rockstar launcher, and deleting all the files there. It will reset your progress. However you must ofcourse determine yourself if its worth the hassle to do everything over.

Well. After coming to the same place (horseshoe overlook) I get the same crash when loading into the game. Went into online mode and loaded a manual save. Then it loaded ok :psyduck:

Guess you have to make due with prayers and voodoo to make this thing work sometimes.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

Freudian slippers posted:

Anyone else having trouble robbing stores? I put my bandanna on, enter the store and suddenly I cant draw my weapon and threaten the store owner. I get a prompt to aim at him, but if I do that, I enter quick draw mode and shoot him. My item wheel only shows regular items, not weapons inside the store...

I had that problem every time when I robbed a store when playing on PS4 (also at towns there was "misunderstandings" when I tried to holler at someone and drew instead..). Just hold mouse 2 and click (don't hold) mouse 1. It is really weird but I managed to rob a certain side business in Strawberry today without any problems.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

OK, thanks! I'll try it out after I'm done murdering beavers.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

cheesetriangles posted:

A lot of my friends are just waiting for Steam and I'm wondering how that might affect things. Personally I just saw no reason to wait since Steam needs to use the RGL anyway and RGL was offering a bunch of bonuses for buying there.

Yep, getting Max Payne 3, and Bully, two games i've never played before, was part of what got me to buy directly on Rockstar.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
What's the quickest way to draw your gun on PC?

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

webmeister posted:

I’ve found the best strategy for dealing with ambushes is to just ride away as quick as you can for 5-10 seconds. Use that time to draw your weapons etc and heal up before turning around and blasting them.

Yeah, the big thing is to get them all on one side. It's drat near impossible to turn fast enough to kill multiple attackers on different sides when you're out in the open. Which makes sense, this is the opposite of ~gun kata~ game play. Your first priority should be to get out of being surrounded, which may or may not be best served by immediately focusing on killing. If you can kill a single flanker quickly then focus the rest, you may be ok. If they're coming from all sides, you need to fall back so you're not surrounded.

Also, deadeye is the other half of this. I always make sure to have a healthy reserve for situations like that. It makes it easy to drop multiple attackers, as long as you don't have to spin all around to tag them. Again, not being surrounded is key.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

What's the quickest way to draw your gun on PC?

probably in mspaint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

peer posted:

probably in mspaint

I tried a controller out of curiosity and discovered that if you just hold Right Trigger then you dude quickly takes out a gun and immediately starts blasting. Mouse/Keyboard is inconsistent. Sometimes I just need to press Right Click to aim, other times I need to press Right Click and then a prompt comes up at the bottom telling me to press LEFT CLICK while holding right click, just to aim.