Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Elias_Maluco posted:

Thank you

drat, maybe I need to reread this thing again, I was under the impression that Zekes plan was revealed to the walls guys only after the attack on Marley, only Eren knew about it

Yelena and other Zeke loyalists were some of the first Marleyans the Paradisians captured, and from her they learned that Zeke had a plan and wished to ally with Paradis.

The Paradis military was suspicious, but Eren told them that the plan was probably to have Zeke be a key to unlock the power of the Founder without interference from the will of the first king, and so gain the ability to use the Rumbling defensively (or pre-emptively).

And this was indeed Zeke's plan, only with the addition of sterilizing all Eldians - this last part only his closest followers knew about, as well as Eren once he deserted (during the events of this latest flashback) and they met in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Eren genociding the entire world and setting things back to what we were led to believe was the case at the start of the series is actually the most fitting and most Eren ending.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

RatHat posted:

Don't tell me his stupid plan is to make everyone in the world team up to fight him and thus achieve peace? That won't work, Marley will just genocide the Eldians afterwards to prevent this ever happening again.

For how long will anime continue to copy God Emperor of Dune

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eej posted:

For how long will anime continue to copy God Emperor of Dune

Don't be silly it isn't like Eren has the ability to walk the path of pas.. oh.

Oh poo poo.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

RatHat posted:

Don't tell me his stupid plan is to make everyone in the world team up to fight him and thus achieve peace? That won't work, Marley will just genocide the Eldians afterwards to prevent this ever happening again.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

Eren has achieve his final form:

Angrierest Eren
If things are going the way they seem to be going, I feel like Atrocitus is going to call up Eren and go "Dude, dial it back a bit, okay?".

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

TheHan posted:

Eren genociding the entire world and setting things back to what we were led to believe was the case at the start of the series is actually the most fitting and most Eren ending.

The start of the series but without Titan horrors to terrorize his friends.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Jesus Christ Eren, just don't do a genocide, okay? Can you just not? Calm down a bit, have a Snickers.

Where are Historia, Annie, Levi, and Hange during all this?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Viridiant posted:

Jesus Christ Eren, just don't do a genocide, okay? Can you just not? Calm down a bit, have a Snickers.

Historia is at her house, Annie's in her crystal, Levi and Hange are bleeding in a ditch somewhere.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Viridiant posted:

But if the choice was commit genocide or have everyone you love and care for become victims of genocide, what's the best option?

Not that that's the literal situation, but I believe that's Eren's general thought process.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Eren did nothing wrong. I pray desperately that he succeeds because that's such an interesting ending.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
If Eren plans to murder everyone outside the walls, why notify all the mainland Eldians he's about to wipe them out? They're clearly supposed to warn the rest of the non-Eldian world to rally against him.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Erens been talking about genocide since the start of the series. No one took him seriously, not even Mikasa. Crazy motherfucker

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Your time to shine Armin

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Squidster posted:

If Eren plans to murder everyone outside the walls, why notify all the mainland Eldians he's about to wipe them out? They're clearly supposed to warn the rest of the non-Eldian world to rally against him.

Clearly? The guy probably didn't even know he could mass communicate with all Eldians until like a split second ago. It's hard to say he's even thinking that rationally or even carefully. Even if this is a supposed rally, what is the world supposed to do against what's apparently unstoppable?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

They're going to airdrop Mikasa on top of Eren using the Azumbito's magitech-powered seaplane.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

change my name posted:

Yeah it’s either this or he’s doing something else and has to make sure everyone hates him for it to work, murdering the world seems super out of character.
His character was from the start to kill all the hated titans, a force of terror and destruction that has dominated his whole life.

Nothing changed when he found out the titans weren't the real force of terror and destruction. Remember him on the beach reflecting on the enemies on the other side of the ocean?

This chapter was amazing. I had always been upset that we didn't get to see the Paradisian's first reaction to the outside world. Having them pop up as an outside threat from the perspective of a new group of characters was great and all, but I had been looking forward to all the confusing emotions someone from Paradis would have in the outside world.

This chapter delivered that powerful moment at the perfect time in the story. I'm so glad it was saved until now. Experiencing daily life, wonderful and terrible. Most of them goofing around, Eren brooding for entirely understandable reasons. These are the enemies that need to die to free his home from the terror it's always been subject to. Even that kid. It's not a horrifying inhuman enemy, but they still need to be wiped out.

And then we flash forward to Eren doing just that. I feel like the translation was a bit off, but it was appropraitely hard to understand what Armin was saying about what was going on. There's a slow realization that he's not just doing the mini-rumbling as a show of force, this is the real thing. The end of the world.

I honestly didn't think he'd do it. I thought a mini-rumbling was going to be terrifying enough of a spectacle and they'd find a peaceful solution after that.

This is not the first time I've been entirely at a loss for where the story could be going in this manga. I remember being very conscious of how incomprehensible Reiner and Bertholdt's actions were- how on earth could an individual or faction justify what they had done? Well, I understand their motivation now. And I understand Eren's motivation too. An understandable global genocide. I just can't believe this is actually where the story is going.

Letting everyone know what he's doing has got to be his way of getting everyone to hate him, but like others have pointed out, if the outside world unites against him, they'll kill all his friends too. I can only vaguely imagine a scenario where the world understands what a threat Eren was, and someone from Paradis stops him and saves the world, earning the "devil race" some sort of goodwill. But I feel like that's more or less been the mentality of the Marlean shifters (overcome their sin by being heroes), and that hasn't gotten them very far at all.

Well I have yet to be disappointed by the twists in this story so far, so without knowing what the heck's going on, I'm still looking forward to the rest of the ride.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Either Eren's plan is to turn Armin into Helos pt 2 or everyone gon' die. I swear to god if the climax boils down to Mikasa finally saying how she really feels I'm going to be very unhappy.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Super Rad posted:

Either Eren's plan is to turn Armin into Helos pt 2 or everyone gon' die. I swear to god if the climax boils down to Mikasa finally saying how she really feels I'm going to be very unhappy.
"I love you, Erin!" *Titanosaurus and the wall titans turn into dust*

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Nah Armin's gonna kill him. The question is whether or not that's part of the plan.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
All I can ask is this: please, please, whoever picks up the reigns to animate the final season, don't gently caress it up

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

All I can ask is this: please, please, whoever picks up the reigns to animate the final season, don't gently caress it up

I thought the current studio is still going to animate it?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh I thought they had been abandoned or passed on doing the final season

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Conspiratiorist posted:

Yelena and other Zeke loyalists were some of the first Marleyans the Paradisians captured, and from her they learned that Zeke had a plan and wished to ally with Paradis.

The Paradis military was suspicious, but Eren told them that the plan was probably to have Zeke be a key to unlock the power of the Founder without interference from the will of the first king, and so gain the ability to use the Rumbling defensively (or pre-emptively).

And this was indeed Zeke's plan, only with the addition of sterilizing all Eldians - this last part only his closest followers knew about, as well as Eren once he deserted (during the events of this latest flashback) and they met in person.

Thanks, makes more sense now

Eiba posted:

His character was from the start to kill all the hated titans, a force of terror and destruction that has dominated his whole life.

Nothing changed when he found out the titans weren't the real force of terror and destruction. Remember him on the beach reflecting on the enemies on the other side of the ocean?

This chapter was amazing. I had always been upset that we didn't get to see the Paradisian's first reaction to the outside world. Having them pop up as an outside threat from the perspective of a new group of characters was great and all, but I had been looking forward to all the confusing emotions someone from Paradis would have in the outside world.

This chapter delivered that powerful moment at the perfect time in the story. I'm so glad it was saved until now. Experiencing daily life, wonderful and terrible. Most of them goofing around, Eren brooding for entirely understandable reasons. These are the enemies that need to die to free his home from the terror it's always been subject to. Even that kid. It's not a horrifying inhuman enemy, but they still need to be wiped out.

And then we flash forward to Eren doing just that. I feel like the translation was a bit off, but it was appropraitely hard to understand what Armin was saying about what was going on. There's a slow realization that he's not just doing the mini-rumbling as a show of force, this is the real thing. The end of the world.

I honestly didn't think he'd do it. I thought a mini-rumbling was going to be terrifying enough of a spectacle and they'd find a peaceful solution after that.

This is not the first time I've been entirely at a loss for where the story could be going in this manga. I remember being very conscious of how incomprehensible Reiner and Bertholdt's actions were- how on earth could an individual or faction justify what they had done? Well, I understand their motivation now. And I understand Eren's motivation too. An understandable global genocide. I just can't believe this is actually where the story is going.

Letting everyone know what he's doing has got to be his way of getting everyone to hate him, but like others have pointed out, if the outside world unites against him, they'll kill all his friends too. I can only vaguely imagine a scenario where the world understands what a threat Eren was, and someone from Paradis stops him and saves the world, earning the "devil race" some sort of goodwill. But I feel like that's more or less been the mentality of the Marlean shifters (overcome their sin by being heroes), and that hasn't gotten them very far at all.

Well I have yet to be disappointed by the twists in this story so far, so without knowing what the heck's going on, I'm still looking forward to the rest of the ride.

I agree with that. Is very in character. Is what Eren wants and has been saying he is going to do from the start.

First it was "Im going to kill all titans so we can be free". Once he learned the titans were not the real enemy, he literally said "ok, so we have to kill everyone on the other side of the ocean and we will be free?"

I dont think he has another plan, thats really what he wants. But he is going to be stopped somehow

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Nov 7, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Super Rad posted:

Eren has decided global genocide is preferable to telling mikasa he has performance anxiety

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

I'm pretty sure Mikasa is going to kill Eren, given that she's the one he sees before he wakes up in the first arc of the manga.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

maybe you shouldn't existentially threaten a society with a doomsday device

also i hope a shounen manga makes the protagonist full heel turn into the final big bad

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Super Rad posted:

didn't she already do that basically and he just didn't get it

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
I could not give less of a poo poo of Mikasa confessing to Eren. She has better chemistry with pretty much everyone else.

Anyway, this chapter owns, and I want the next chapter now.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

didn't she already do that basically and he just didn't get it

The thing that shouldn't be overlooked is that we shouldn't assume these characters have anything approaching normal standards of EQ and mental health. Eren's probably got a hugely broken brain from PTSD, Attack Titan powers, all sorts of manipulation, etc. At this point, I wouldn't rule anything out for triggering a good or bad response from him. When's the last time he's felt genuine love and affection? Maybe from his mom years ago?

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

iamsosmrt posted:

The thing that shouldn't be overlooked is that we shouldn't assume these characters have anything approaching normal standards of EQ and mental health. Eren's probably got a hugely broken brain from PTSD, Attack Titan powers, all sorts of manipulation, etc. At this point, I wouldn't rule anything out for triggering a good or bad response from him. When's the last time he's felt genuine love and affection? Maybe from his mom years ago?

Not only this, but it's hard to judge if Mikasa loves Eren as a guy she wants to sleep with, as a brother, as an Ackermann imprinted by a Founding Titan wielder, or just a codependent person holding to her emotional crutch. It's entirely possible he'd rather not open this can of worms.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I think Eren's plan will be to get every single titan on the planet destroyed, so that there can never be titans again, while also destroying the Marleyan government and buying time to establish Paradis as a modern country so they can defend themselves in the future.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Eren is mad. Hes been very angry from the start and it only got worst

And any hope he could have of finding a peaceful way out died when he saw with his own eyes how much the world hated them and wanted their annihilation.

Surely someone more rational and moderate, like Armin or Hange, would prefer any other solution, like a small rumbling to destroy the armies surrounding Paradis and them using the big rumbling as a deterrent. But that does not solves the problem, the world would still hate and fear them and would be waiting for another chance to wipe them out. Maybe Armin would hope to eventually be able to change this with diplomacy, with intelligence. Not Eren

Eren wants his freedom, and he wants it now and for good. He is fed up, he is full of hate and vengeance. If its the world vs Paradis, the world have to go, even if he knows not everyone is bad

Most likely Armin and Mikasa will find a way to stop him or convince him to stop

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Elias_Maluco posted:

Eren wants his freedom, and he wants it now and for good. He is fed up, he is full of hate and vengeance. If its the world vs Paradis, the world have to go, even if he knows not everyone is bad
The others have decades of their lives to negotiate a better world. Eren has maybe another year, tops. He's running out of time.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
What I'm super curious about now is how Zeke is going to factor into the rest of the story. When they were time traveling through Grisha's memories it was strongly implied that there are parts of Grisha's memories that Eren had seen and likely interacted with that Zeke never got to see i.e. when Eren eats Grisha. Clearly something has to happen before Grisha turns Eren into a titan that gets him to be OK with it seeing as moments beforehand he is pleading with Zeke to not let Eren win. Also at some point Eren talks to Kruger about Armin and Mikasa which we still haven't seen happen. Prior to Eren and Zeke touching we've never seen Eren have the power to affect the memories of people in the past so I'd be willing to bet it's necessary that the two are in contact for that to be possible which would then mean that Zeke and Eren will touch again in that paths dimension before everything is said and done (well, unless getting Ymir's powers has thrown all of that out the window). Either way I'm hoping we get some more detailed exposition on Kruger - he has played a huge role in the story so far but so little is known about him.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Squidster posted:

The others have decades of their lives to negotiate a better world. Eren has maybe another year, tops. He's running out of time.

Eren personally still has 3~4 years left, but his own life isn't the time limit here.

He wanted to eliminate the need to have Historia and her children inherit the Beast Titan, at all costs. This is why a mini-rumbling wouldn't work: it'd ultimately just be kicking the can down the road, forcing Historia and 13 years later her unborn child to both serve the needs of Paradis by becoming titans so they can keep the threat of their WMD available.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 7, 2019

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

Eren is mad. Hes been very angry from the start and it only got worst

In a way it makes sense it got worst. At first he was very angry... at big brainless zombies. Understanding that some of the most damaging big brainless zombies weren't brainless but people, who had, you know *a choice* to not do bad stuff, makes it worse. Understanding later than there are other countries, but they all hate their guts intensely and would be ok with a total genocide of their people, also made it worse.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Andrew Hussie levels of clowning.

Not only am I excited to see this specific scene in the anime, I'm excited to hear how the English dub does it... and I don't even watch the English dub!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I don't think Eren is necessarily frothing mad. Super angry at the world sure, but he's already seen himself do this and probably seen how it plays out, and it doesn't look like he gets to the finish line. The way Armin and Mikasa talk about him changing it's like the fact that he hasn't been incredibly passionate and angry is out of the norm.