Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don't know how many of these shows are gonna get much individual traffic yet so for now here's a thread for all Apple TV+ shows. I guess use spoiler tags and tell which show/episode you're talking about, jerks!!!!!

So!!!! Apple TV+ is the compooter and iPhone folk attempting to get into the streaming game by throwing lots of money at creators and actors. It launched a few days ago and costs 5 bucks or pounds or dollarydoos a month and if you bought an Apple product recently it's free for a year. But what can you watch on it right now, I hear you cry!!! I hear you scream to the heavens!!!! And I'll look down and whisper.....these things:

sorry if the pics are too big my photoshop stopped working and i am lazy

The Morning Show is about a morning news show co-hosted by Jennifer Aniston and Steve Carrell but then Carrell gets MeToo'd oh no!!!!! or maybe not? the show literally cannot decide if we should feel bad for him or not. Anyway then Reese Witherspoon shows up after yelling at people in a viral video and ends up becoming Aniston's co-host and there's lots of arguing with the network and with Mark Duplass' executive producer and Aniston just straight-up shouting at everyone. I've seen the first 3 eps and the acting is really good and the direction (led by Leftovers head director Mimi Leder) is nice and it looks gorgeous but the scripts (showrunner is Kerry Ehrin who ran Bates Motel) are like someone wants to be Aaron Sorkin very badly but does not really have that special something that makes his best work shine. I'd still put it over Studio 60 and The Newsroom though. The initial order was for two seasons.

For All Mankind is a space show by Ronald D. Moore who created the 00s BSG which is a great sign! It's an alternate history tale where the damned Ruskies got to the Moon before the hero legends America and the space race carries on for longer. It stars Joel Kinnaman from Suicide Squad and the Robocop remake (fine, and The Killing/House of Cards/Altered Carbon) and Michael Dorman from TVIV-fave-and-if-you-don't-like-it-you-can-eat-my-entire-rear end PATRIOT!!!!!! IT JOHN LAKEMAN BABY!!!!!! Lead director is Seth Gordon from The King of Kongs, Horrible Bosses, and others! Haven't watched any of this yet but it has the best overall reception of this first batch of shows so I'm lookin forward to it. Has been renewed for a second season.

What if the past but they talk like modern youths??? Dickinson is a black comedy period show about the titular famous poet and her struggle with the gender and family roles in her era. Emily herself is played by the awesome Hailee Steinfeld, her parents are played by the awesome Toby Huss and Jane Krakowski, and her sister Lavinia is played by the I don't know who they are but they seem cool Anna Baryshnikov! All the adults talk in mostly period-accurate voices while all the kids say "yeet" and "fam" and "bogus" and other such contemporary sayings (ok maybe not those actual ones)! It's created by Alena Smith who previously wrote for The Affair and the lead director is David Gordon Green known for good indie movies and also Pineapple Express and Danny McBride's awesome HBO shows. I've watched one episode and it seemed enjoyable if not fantastic but I will keep watching!!! Wiz Khalifa played Death, that's pretty cool! Has been renewed for a second season.

See is one of those it's the future but poo poo is all hosed up and gone tribal-y things. The human race have gone blind and have had to learn to adapt but then Jason Momoa (Game of Thrones, Aquaman, being shirtless)'s wife gives birth to twins who can.......SEE!!!!!! like the name of the show! This attracts the attention of baddies so they have to protect the twins from baddies and such things. Created by Steven Knight, who did Peaky Blinders (which is good) and also the show Taboo and 2019 movie Serenity (both of which are bad!!!!) (apparently Locke is good but I never saw it) and directed by Francis Lawrence, who previously helmed I Am Legend and a bunch of Hunger Games movies. The critical reception is pretty bad for this one, and I'm not gonna watch given my dislike for Knight's less good work, so you'll all have to let me know!!!! It's the only one of these to not be renewed yet.

I guess there's other things too? but I don't really know anything about those but feel free to discuss them here anyway. There's like a documentary about elephants???? and an Oprah thing????

Apple TV has native apps on the expected Apple products and also some Sony/Samsung Smart TVs and some models of Roku/Fire TV, with more to come, as well as in browsers.

THIS WAS MORE EFFORT THAN I WANTED TO PUT INTO SOMETHING THIS MORNING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Forgot to mention before, but while most of these shows have released the first 3 episodes and are going weekly from then on, much like Hulu do, the entire first season of Dickinson is up now.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think Jason Momoa is just taking acting jobs where he gets to keep the outfits that make his wife frisky

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
See is dumb as poo poo but I enjoyed it a lot. Feels like a Syfy show with a Game of Thrones budget.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Genuinely thought See is one of the most embarrassing shows I have seen in a while, which is a bummer since I like Peaky Blinders a lot.

They do nothing to make the whole blindness aspect interesting or different, everything just feels like a bunch of people who can see acting like people who can't, the writing is loving abysmal, they add a bunch of "this is gonna be the next Game of Thrones for sure guys!!" tropes like an evil queen who masturbates while praying and random incest out of nowhere. Man, best thing I can say about it is that it's not boring, but it is immensely stupid (the whole Shadow thing is just :psyduck:).

I definitely don't think I want to keep up with it unless I hear it gets super good. I honestly feel like it could have been more interesting if they went for deafness instead or just fuckin' didn't have to rely on a gimmick that seems largely pointless to begin with. It doesn't make for an interesting world, they have no distinct culture (outside of putting up chimes in random places), the whole thing just makes me wish someone would make a show based on Horizon: Zero Dawn, which actually has some interesting stuff going on in a similar space.

Popelmon posted:

See is dumb as poo poo but I enjoyed it a lot. Feels like a Syfy show with a Game of Thrones budget.

Yeah this ain't wrong, I get the sense that some people will enjoy it but nooooot I.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Nov 5, 2019

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
For All Mankind is really good. I wish the whole season dropped. It looks like they're gonna set it up to go through history probably up to today. One thing I don't get is where did all of the real astronauts go? It would have been cooler for the space dorks like me to have kept that part more realistic instead of changing them out with fictional astronauts that are only kind of based on them.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I watched the first For All Mankind episode and I liked it quite a bit, although the characters seemed pretty thin.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
For All Mankind is just... ok so far. I personally find the premise super compelling so that's probably tainting my interest levels. It feels like it's building to something more interesting but so far it's kind of hard to root for the americans (Gene Krantz going "we have to stop the marxist-leninists!" or words to that effect felt weird but ok lmao) however they did have the spine to call out Von Braun for working for the nazis.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dickinson ep 2 was also good but Jane Krakowski’s character shits me up the wall

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I thought the first episode of For All Mankind was interesting, but hollow, and it didn't really set up any interesting plot hooks. This was almost immediately remedied with episodes 2 and 3 - the Von Braun stuff was great, and pivoting to Tracy instead of Joel Kinnaman was a good move since he's been the least interesting character by far.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Caught up with For All Mankind and yeah ep 3 was great!!!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Escobarbarian posted:

Caught up with For All Mankind and yeah ep 3 was great!!!

Yeah that ending was when I decided I was all in.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Croatoan posted:

Yeah that ending was when I decided I was all in.

I just finished episode 4. They kinda nerfed it. I may have been wrong. This show is good but might be pretty boring if they keep it up.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

What do you think they “nerfed”?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Ep 4 was just slow AF.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought For All Mankind ep 5 was pretty good and intense

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

is the morning show as bad as it sounds because it sounds like one of the worst things ever

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

romanowski posted:

is the morning show as bad as it sounds because it sounds like one of the worst things ever

No, it’s pretty good, and the Sorkin-wannabe comment in the OP is weird and isn’t reflected in the show at all.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

'Sometimes you have to roll the hard six' Never change Ron Moore, never change. I'm glad For All Mankind is starting to pick up and already renewed for season 2

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Escobarbarian posted:

I thought For All Mankind ep 5 was pretty good and intense

It was, deff didn't end how I expected.

PopetasticPerson
Jun 18, 2006
Best part of FAM is there's no sound in space. It's even better that no one ever even points it out to anybody. I read somewhere Ronald Moore wanted there to be no sound in space in BSG but ultimately got overruled so he finally got his wish.

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Morning Show is getting almost kind of good, if anybody cares. Jen Aniston is, possibly for the first time in her life, acting the poo poo out of her role, and Billy Crudup is magnetic as her opaquely conniving network head. Poor Reese Witherspoon's in a terrible wig, the writing is all over the place, the music and camera cues feel like the director beating you over the head with Profound Meaning that hasn't actually been earned, and they seem to be trying to pander to a different possibly-nonexistent niche audience with each episode. But seriously, watch a scene between Aniston and Carell, and one between Aniston and Crudup. Incredible chemistry. Career highs for all of them.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Baronash posted:

No, it’s pretty good, and the Sorkin-wannabe comment in the OP is weird and isn’t reflected in the show at all.

I mean I’m enjoying the show but the dialogue is absolutely an attempt to be Sorkin-esque

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The morning show is great. Reese has been incredible in her role. Billy Crudup is chewing the hell out of the scenery. It's much better than I expected. At this point I'm disappointed that it's only one episode a week until the end.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I'm officially onboard with For All Mankind after the last episode.

They blew up Gene Krantz! gently caress! Also lol at the Nasa contracting being corrupt in the show as a plot point when it's that way in real life, the FBI harassing queer people and Nixon's "YOU WHAT?!" at Ted Kennedy pardoning him

Also saw an interview with Ron Moore who basically said the impetus for this timeline is Korolev doesn't die, ahahaha

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I am really loving For All Mankind. It's so good and I love Apollo stuff. I really hope that this expanded apollo program means they never move to the space shuttle and they keep launching space dicks into the sky.

I wonder if Ted Kennedy telling Nixon that he's going to pardon him is because it was part of the deal to get the ERA passed, or if it is because Kennedy thinks he could be impeached over what he did to get the ERA and he's pardoning Nixon to set a precedent that criminal presidents get pardons. I guess it's just me sperging too hard, but Nixon doesn't have to accept the pardon (as it would be an admission of guilt) and just tell Kennedy to gently caress off.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

For All Mankind is legitimately good and I feel it's a shame it's probably getting ignored to a degree thanks to its slow pacing and being on Apple TV+.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the pacing is fine, but being on Apple TV whatever is definitely hurting it. I haven't heard anyone talk about the service at all. The one person I did hear say something about it was on a podcast and said there weren't any shows on it. it was renewed for a second season, so hopefully someone there believes in it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Only reason I have it is I bought a new apple tv 3 months ago and got an email a few weeks ago telling me I got a year for free.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Waltzing Along posted:

Only reason I have it is I bought a new apple tv 3 months ago and got an email a few weeks ago telling me I got a year for free.

Ditto, I got a new iPhone recently and I got a year for free.

Great show so far, though.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

For All Mankind is better than The Mandalorian

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

hitze posted:

For All Mankind is better than The Mandalorian

Low bar.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I got the free trial of ATV for Dickinson because my wife wanted to watch it (not bad, actually). Then I promptly cancelled it after finishing Dickinson. I would have kept the service if they didn’t drop the other shows weekly. As it stands, I’ll probably sign up for a month when all of For All Mankind is out.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

extremely online posted:

Jen Aniston is, possibly for the first time in her life, acting the poo poo out of her role,

you must have missed The Good Girl (a lot of people did)

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Walrus posted:

you must have missed The Good Girl (a lot of people did)

I saw it actually! I didn't think her performance was good. The accent was embarrassing. It was a long time ago though, maybe I should revisit it.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Popelmon posted:

I'm just watching it for Jason Momoa who is hilarious in this role.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Octy posted:

I'm just watching it for Jason Momoa who is hilarious in this role.

I was wooping and hollering when he fought that bear. He knows exactly what kind of show this is and he's leaning into it hard.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

OldSenileGuy posted:

Then I promptly cancelled it after finishing Dickinson. I would have kept the service if they didn’t drop the other shows weekly.

I really like that they're dropping shows weekly. My wife and I are watching The Morning Show, and we're actually discussing television again. We haven't done that in years, and I mostly fault the switch to binge-watching. Even when we would only get 1 or 2 episodes in a night, it still just felt asinine to discuss where we think the next episode will go when it's already available.

And for me personally, the same thing happened as far as posting in TVIV. A show would drop and within 2 days the discussion was about the season as a whole, and a week later everyone has said everything they wanted to about it.

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Baronash posted:

I really like that they're dropping shows weekly. My wife and I are watching The Morning Show, and we're actually discussing television again. We haven't done that in years, and I mostly fault the switch to binge-watching. Even when we would only get 1 or 2 episodes in a night, it still just felt asinine to discuss where we think the next episode will go when it's already available.

And for me personally, the same thing happened as far as posting in TVIV. A show would drop and within 2 days the discussion was about the season as a whole, and a week later everyone has said everything they wanted to about it.

How are you guys liking The Morning Show so far?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Baronash posted:

While I don't like having to wait a whole week to see an episode, being able to watch a bunch at once is really bad for me because I will watch all of them in one sitting.