Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Stairmaster posted:

is the korean remake good? or is it as bad as the source
It's mostly a faithful remake, for better or worse, based on what I saw.

They changed Kirkman's character from an architect to a environmental scientist. And he uses his analytic skills to solve the mystery of the missing North Korean submarine which averts a nuclear conflict. In other words, he stops war by being a smart science technocrat, so I jokingly call it a lanyard power fantasy.

Also, they changed the bigotry subplot from Islamophobia to xenophobia of defectors from the north, and they awkwardly had characters say "Just because they're from the north doesn't mean they're communists! In fact, they hate communists! They're good anti-communists!"

What I found most interesting was how they depicted American generals walking around sensitive areas in South Korean government buildings, and that presence was depicted as normal and unquestioned. The biggest trigger-happy hotheads are the South Korean generals, not the American ones.

Echo Chamber has issued a correction as of 04:24 on Nov 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

thats disappointing id heard really nice things about the korean version in terms of the fake tv president pushing hard for stronger antidiscrimination laws which the real life president doesnt do even though hes nominally the leader of the center left party north korea chat is a lot more boring by comparison

and yeah south korean media can be really weird with their americans are always great slant steel rain comes to mind as a movie where all the white american generals and cia people are pushing objectively insane and terrible ideas that escalate the situation for no reason but everyones acting like theyre just being sensible realists

take point was much better in this regard because in that movie the white people idiotically escalating the situation for no reason is in fact the entire driver of the conflict unfortunately it tanked pretty bad domestically personally i blame the marketing which made it look like one of those badass eighties style soldier of fortune movies when in actuality its more of a deconstruction of that kind of movie

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Nothing can top South Korean American general worship like Incheon. A movie financed by the Moonies, which worships Douglas McArthur even though he doesn't really do anything.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

my favorite south korean depiction of us military is the host

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the huge box office failure of operation chromites followup the battle of jangsari is extremely gratifying because it shows how much south korean taste has shifted over the last three years that this kind of jingoistic bullshit cant find an audience now jangsari only made about a sixth of chromites take which has probably killed any prospects of making a third movie unless it does much better in international markets than it did domestically they were definitely selling it as part two of a trilogy

if youre wondering what kinds of movies south koreans are watching instead now the current big one is an adaptation of a feminist novel that has way outperformed expectations by the way when i write feminist i dont mean they cast a woman in the lead role i mean the actual plot of the movie revolves around the main character and her female family members reacting to gender discrimination

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Speaking of that second paragraph, anyone see Lionheart?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The best South Korean movie is I saw the devil

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Percelus posted:

my favorite south korean depiction of us military is the host

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

saw the third episode of watchmen and i gotta admit it finally feels like it's starting to pick up. my theory so far about the events in ep 3 are the senator that asks laurie to go to tulsa has planned elements of the 7th calvary attack since the beginning, and even planned for the suicide bomber to make his appearance, betting that laurie would stop him and he'd be able to leverage it into incredible PR.

i also like that angela isn't intimidated by laurie at all, despite laurie's best efforts.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
all this talk about south korean cinema is making me wanna revisit JSA and Taegukgi. I really liked JSA, and I wonder what I'd think about it now.

I barely enjoyed Taegukgi even at the time but I'm mainly wondering there if the jingoism would be funny or repellent.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
smg said cined should ban embedded tweets, people went lol wut and we got this beautiful nonsense

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Stop and think about that for a second.

You are operating this art discussion forum under the premise that there is no difference between analysis (theory, criticism, etc.) and advertisement.

Under this premise, your goal is to maintain a free and open marketplace of ideas (where the freedom is defined as freedom from harassment by ‘toxic subjects’, orthodox racists, etc.). Right?

The major error here is that you are ignoring the overwhelming influence and control that Disney has over this marketplace. Like, great, you’re making it so that trans people can speak without restriction. But who benefits the most from this lack of restriction - this deregulation of the marketplace?

Basically you are making exactly the mistake that Scorcese is talking about with regards to cinema versus commercial kitsch, and the dwindling literacy that would allow us to distinguish the two. And that’s a highly political issue.

Make no mistake: you mean well. You’re a good person, etc. But you have to understand that your ideology is white supremacist and patriarchal in the basic sense that it turns a blind eye to the systemic nature of injustice and creates an environment where (under a banner of freedom and equality) white men automatically benefit most.

Like isn’t it weird that, under your jurisdiction, we just naturally end up with like five simultaneous Star Wars promotional threads at all times?

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

SMG is the col kurtz of cined

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
except the people who thought he was interesting and enjoyable have moved on and everyones sick of him

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I'm a film buff. Defeated many an unserious "fan" in intense debate and discussion.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Freaking Crumbum posted:

saw the third episode of watchmen and i gotta admit it finally feels like it's starting to pick up. my theory so far about the events in ep 3 are the senator that asks laurie to go to tulsa has planned elements of the 7th calvary attack since the beginning, and even planned for the suicide bomber to make his appearance, betting that laurie would stop him and he'd be able to leverage it into incredible PR.

i also like that angela isn't intimidated by laurie at all, despite laurie's best efforts.

The supplemental material site has an extremely ominous letter written by Senator Keene Snr. to Crawford's dad that implies pretty much that, or maybe wants you to https://www.hbo.com/content/dam/hbodata/series/watchmen/peteypedia/03/four-letters-evidence.pdf. I gotta admit I'm digging it so far though. the plot is confused lib mystery box poo poo but the acting and cinematography is pretty nice

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Taegukgi is hardly jingoistic. it doesn’t pull punches on how lovely the junta was. there’s a whole scene where fascist youth execute people for taking bread from communists.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Taegukgi is hardly jingoistic. it doesn’t pull punches on how lovely the junta was. there’s a whole scene where fascist youth execute people for taking bread from communists.

Oh interesting. Like i said i don't remember a whole lot, so it should be v interesting to revisit

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
I think Taekugki got the North Korean endorsement

also the main guy is depicted as ten times as powerful after defecting to the communists

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

it’s closer to American civil war movies on the literal brother vs. brother sense, except without any of the hagiography.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/dtantaquidgeon/status/1191948345230708736?s=21

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

except the people who thought he was interesting and enjoyable have moved on and everyones sick of him

SMG owns and I always look forward to his posts

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Wemus posted:

SMG owns and I always look forward to his posts

He's currently on "banning 'advertising' is a blow against bigotry so why are you being a Nazi by letting people post tweets" which is just so sanctimonious and k hate him

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Yeah I'm a film buff. Defeated many an unserious "fan" in intense debate and discussion.
:maga:

i was trying to find the maga pray but smilies is a mess so i give up and that one is sufficient

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm an insufferable film dork but cined is completely unreadable to me

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i was watching american horror story apocalypse and episode 9 there is a plot involving the romanovs and god do the writers think they were the greatest

maybe i'll finish it later but i can't stomach romanov fanfic right now

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

I'm an insufferable film dork but cined is completely unreadable to me

The horror thread is one of the best threads because it's chill as poo poo

GenChat used to be great but the best posters have left and the Glory days are over

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The horror thread is one of the best threads because it's chill as poo poo

GenChat used to be great but the best posters have left and the Glory days are over

To be fair, that is true of a lot of subforums on this dying website.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i say swears online posted:

Speaking of that second paragraph, anyone see Lionheart?

no but if youre interested in nigerian feminist film chika anadus work is excellent and probably easier to find since its not as recent

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

im watching that for all mankind show and lol everyone in this acts like 9/11 happened when the soviets land on the moon

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Stairmaster posted:

im watching that for all mankind show and lol everyone in this acts like 9/11 happened when the soviets land on the moon

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

FAM update: Chappaquiddick didn't happened in this timeline, lol

this is such a boomer show lol

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i wish i was smarter becasue the whole concept of them making a prestige about a national humilation that DIDN'T happen says so much about the zeitgeist i think

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

is Watchmen gonna be the next "cultural event" show for HBO now that GoT is finished and mostly forgotten about?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

my gut sense is it's gonna burn out like westworld did.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Stairmaster posted:

my gut sense is it's gonna burn out like westworld did.

did it? season 1 of westworld was extremely good and i even liked season 2 a lot despite being worse. i'd def watch a 3rd season although it sounds like maybe there won't be one? idk. it seems very popular still.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i remember westworld s1 had lots of people talking about it and p much everyone ive seen said s2 sucked and dropped it there

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No ones gonna remember any of this poo poo it’s just tweet grist

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
loved the handwringing over gratuitous nudity and when I finally check out the show it turns out to be the lead actress’ sad tits and prospector penis

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

get that OUT of my face posted:

is Watchmen gonna be the next "cultural event" show for HBO now that GoT is finished and mostly forgotten about?

No because it's dumb as gently caress, just like every other attempt at a prequel or sequel of Watchmen. The third episode has Silk Spectre playing with a fuckin' Dr. Manhattan dildo, and they put out a whole article trying to insist it wasn't a dick joke and it had some real meaning, and then they tell you the story of how it came to be, and it was some idiot in the writers' room making a stupid dick joke. The world building is a lot more interesting than the actual narrative, which is tired-rear end mystery box crap.

Xaris posted:

did it? season 1 of westworld was extremely good and i even liked season 2 a lot despite being worse. i'd def watch a 3rd season although it sounds like maybe there won't be one? idk. it seems very popular still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64CYajemh6E

Season 3 is supposed to actually go some places. After just how loving hard Season 2 crashed and burned with the dumbest poo poo I have ever seen on television as they took a rocket ship up their own rear end, my hopes aren't too high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

watchmens only planned to be one season and theres a very good chance that itll get too stupid to be tolerable by the end