Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
is the market for home talking cylinders actually larger than the market for home audio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
i've been using the same basic lovely alarm clock for over 20 years now and it still works fine so why change

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Plorkyeran posted:

i've been using the same basic lovely alarm clock for over 20 years now and it still works fine so why change

you might get made fun of on an internet forum for not switching to something more complicated and less reliable

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

you could have the worst of both worlds: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20191104-01/?p=103052

quote:

For some reason, my alarm clock requires that I install an app on my phone. And the app required me to create an account.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

infernal machines posted:

is the market for home talking cylinders actually larger than the market for home audio?

by number of customers, probably.
it’s a competition for ecosystems, not really about money for any of the players. amazon and goog certainly aren’t making money selling these things, but they hope to recover it from other channels. Apple has to try to make money because they make money from hardware, which is why they’re going to do poorly in this market.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

tbh if you wake to beeps thats cool, im able to sleep through monotonous sounds impressively well so it was a series of gimmick clocks until phones got polyphonic sounds

a buzzing watch on my wrist is way better though. for a while before that id been considering a deaf alarm clock since those use physical movement instead of noise

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it's not and this is a case of valley people not understanding what the rest of the world is like, home audio is a big market but it's an established one that is actually growing, and not just in soundbars and bluetooth speakers. talking cylinders are popular now because they're novel and being given away for firesale prices

it's a tough market for tech companies to enter because there's hundreds of existing players and some level of interoperability is expected by consumers

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Agile Vector posted:

for a while before that id been considering a deaf alarm clock since those use physical movement instead of noise

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The Management posted:

by number of customers, probably.
it’s a competition for ecosystems, not really about money for any of the players. amazon and goog certainly aren’t making money selling these things, but they hope to recover it from other channels. Apple has to try to make money because they make money from hardware, which is why they’re going to do poorly in this market.

it seems like a weird spot for apple though, because they claim to respect your privacy, but the competing devices exist solely to have another avenue to collect data to monetize. so why is apple even making one?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it seems like a weird spot for apple though, because they claim to respect your privacy, but the competing devices exist solely to have another avenue to collect data to monetize. so why is apple even making one?

because tim cook has no product vision other than "does this support a service with recurring billing?"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

if you use Alexa to set your reminders and play your music and find out stupid facts, you will want to use it on your phone too, and you won’t be using Siri like you are totally doing right now. they can’t have amazon or google own your home interface, because it will be the hub for all of your connected home things and they want you to ask Siri to turn your lights off or use HomeKit to set the temperature.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

hey there northern buddy we have the same setup

my girlfriend hates it / loves it depending on if she's getting up at the same time as me tho

i can understand her, im not a huge fan of unnecessary lights earlier in the morning than planned

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

for some people a good option in that scenario is vibrating bracelets, but i think ive developed immunity to those as a seasoned cars/public transport/planes sleeper

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

my phone alarm works ok, but i usually wake up an hour early with the pack of magpies loving, fighting, and making GBS threads just outside my window

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Management posted:

if you use Alexa to set your reminders and play your music and find out stupid facts, you will want to use it on your phone too, and you won’t be using Siri like you are totally doing right now. they can’t have amazon or google own your home interface, because it will be the hub for all of your connected home things and they want you to ask Siri to turn your lights off or use HomeKit to set the temperature.

so it's an entirely aspirational product to gain a foothold in a market that essentially doesn't exist?

yeah, i guess that scans

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
my read of the homepod was that it was an essentially defensive product - apple saw amazon and google run away with the voice command gizmo market and was worried about being locked out of that market, so they came out with a me-too offering to fill a hole in their lineup

same reason microsoft developed the xbox, and google bought fitbit this week

pram
Jun 10, 2001
nothing worthwhile supports homekit

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

FMguru posted:

same reason microsoft developed the xbox

somehow i don't see the followup homepod 360 running away with the smart speaker market

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
apple needs to make a roomba clone

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

echinopsis posted:

it would be the first modern apple product that didn't suck :xd:

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
Man I need some place to rant. Apple is such a loving GARBAGE COMPANY now.

My loving idiotic butterfly keyboard replace the top cover TWICE poo poo-the-bed-loving-idiot-retard-son MacbookPro tried to install Catalina. DESPITE ME HAVING DISABLED AUTO UPDATES!

But luckily I had TextMate running so it couldn't do it. So I go to the software update tab and see that there's some security and some safari updates there as well. So I check those and UNCHECK THE loving CATALINA update. Save my files. Hit "Reset".

What does it do?!

It installs the loving OS!! It's installing CATALINA RIGHT THE gently caress NOW!!
loving COCKROACH poo poo rear end GARBAGE UPDATE!

Kill yourself Timb! Aarrrgrhrhrgghh!! iohj s@goia45

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

mods plz send attendants thx

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

VomitOnLino posted:

My loving idiotic butterfly keyboard replace the top cover TWICE poo poo-the-bed-loving-idiot-retard-son MacbookPro tried to install Catalina. DESPITE ME HAVING DISABLED AUTO UPDATES!

But luckily I had TextMate running so it couldn't do it. So I go to the software update tab and see that there's some security and some safari updates there as well. So I check those and UNCHECK THE loving CATALINA update. Save my files. Hit "Reset".

What does it do?!

It installs the loving OS!! It's installing CATALINA RIGHT THE gently caress NOW!!

:thunk:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

VomitOnLino posted:

What does it do?!

VomitOnLimo more like MeltdownOnline-o

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Uptime Sinclair posted:

VomitOnLimo more like MeltdownOnline-o

3-11 is nothing compared to me

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

did

did you just make a beautiful disaster joke?

:yosnice:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

it would be the first modern apple product that didn't suck :xd:

fuckin lmao

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

VomitOnLino posted:

What does it do?!

penus

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

i liked the morning show

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

theadder posted:

mods plz send attendants thx

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

simply sleep with the windows uncovered so the sun can wake you in the morning. a cell phone alarm works as backup.

love to wake up at 9:30 in the winter and at 4:00 in the summer

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

pram posted:

nothing worthwhile supports homekit

then again, nothing wothwhile supports any "smart home" bullshit

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ikea will wind up taking over the smart home space simply by virtue of having a few simple lamps and blinds, with a side of rebranded sonos speakers, while adding a pretty minimal amount of bullshit to it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

ikea will wind up taking over the smart home space simply by virtue of having a few simple lamps and blinds, with a side of rebranded sonos speakers, while adding a pretty minimal amount of bullshit to it.

works for me, the only “smart” piece of houseware that i want is blinds

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

depending on how youre measuring 41% of us households have smart speakers (as of the end of 2018) and that's better market penetration than tablets or wearables

i have no idea youre defining "home audio" tho

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

LastInLine posted:

depending on how youre measuring 41% of us households have smart speakers (as of the end of 2018) and that's better market penetration than tablets or wearables

i'm not the one who made the differentiation

The Management posted:

Apple isn’t buying Sonos because they exist in a field Apple doesn’t actually care about, home audio. the home audio market is small (for Apple) and has little growth potential. for Apple this is a waste of time.

Apple is competing with amazon and google in the market for home talking cylinders. the fact that Apple made a premium (overpriced) speaker instead of a cheap lovely voice cylinder is due to institutional inability to make something cheap, not because they think they need to compete with Sonos.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the management is of course right, it is a matter of rejecting any market which is not at least as big as peak iphone. its just that such a market does not exist in physical goods, so some weird service vision where everyone on earth pays a bill to you every month it is.

it is pretty sad really, i would have loved to see apple just cruise to a dominant position in the markets for tv's and home audio, because i am pretty sure they could have done a way better job on both than the companies currently in the space. not in specs/price of course, but ease of use and being a brand where you wont screw yourself over by just buying whatever they recommend would differentiate them plenty. it is not that hard to see why apple wouldn't want to become bang olufsen, but it sure would have been more interesting than whatever they're doing now.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

echinopsis posted:

they can just tweak the mac pro case a little

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ain’t that the truth. im not particularly brand-engaged but it’s been really disappointing over the past few years to see the only company making decent laptops and phones just start turning out crap. laptop makers have stepped up well enough; not sure what’ll happen with phones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

LastInLine posted:

probably it’s only that high because google and amazon basically give them away for free. i think my dad got his google home mini for like $10