Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The best thing about Questing Beast is that it has over 69 words of card text and doesn't even do its job against the relevant PWs in this meta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It does promote tons of great posts about Stonecoils and making GBS threads Ceratops dying in combat, though.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Oh man it'd be great that the reason Oko is broken is because they were afraid that Questing Beast would one shot him if he was 3 health with two +1's.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
I'm feeling stupid, but how do I make a brawl deck? When I make a deck, I only get the 3 options for format, I don't see anywhere to specify what my commander is. I tried going to deckmaking through the brawl event, same issue.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Jorath posted:

I'm feeling stupid, but how do I make a brawl deck? When I make a deck, I only get the 3 options for format, I don't see anywhere to specify what my commander is. I tried going to deckmaking through the brawl event, same issue.
It scrolls down, in the drop down.

Don't worry I had another goon ask this it doesn't feel obvious. Took me a moment.

Their UI loving sucks.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Spiderdrake posted:

Don't worry I had another goon ask this it doesn't feel obvious. Took me a moment.

Their UI loving sucks.

OP fodder, then?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

For some reason, I occasionally lose the ability to reroll. Like I'd have to restart the client to get it back, even though I lose it just as I open the client. Wtf?

Also Fields still ruins Brawl. God what an annoying card.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

Spiderdrake posted:

Their UI loving sucks.

OMG I had the same problem. On the build a deck page you can select a format , at first I could only see 3 but then I noticed that it scrolled down.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

GrandpaPants posted:

For some reason, I occasionally lose the ability to reroll. Like I'd have to restart the client to get it back, even though I lose it just as I open the client. Wtf?

It happens when an event ends, and you get the end-of-event screen when you start the client.

Supposedly, it's getting fixed soon.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

So I've been getting into MTG recently so still new and I think I have a pretty small collection, but have been having fun and getting my sea-legs under me. Hopefully it's ok to post a deck and get some advice on a few ways I might think about improving it! I've been having fun with a R/W knight deck mainly in standard rank, so Bo1. Would love to hear if this is a non starter in the meta generally, if there are some cards that will make sense to work towards, and the difference between ranked constructed and limited which I'm not clear on.

quote:

Deck
3 Tournament Grounds (ELD) 248
3 Youthful Knight (ELD) 37
1 Embereth Shieldbreaker (ELD) 122
1 Sacred Foundry (GRN) 254
1 Castle Ardenvale (ELD) 238
3 Skyknight Legionnaire (GRN) 198
1 Shining Armor (ELD) 29
2 Fervent Champion (ELD) 124
3 Venerable Knight (ELD) 35
4 Ardenvale Paladin (ELD) 4
2 Acclaimed Contender (ELD) 1
4 Inspiring Veteran (ELD) 194
4 Worthy Knight (ELD) 36
1 Lonesome Unicorn (ELD) 21
3 The Circle of Loyalty (ELD) 9
1 Knight of the Keep (ELD) 19
1 Ardenvale Tactician (ELD) 5
2 Truefire Captain (GRN) 209
10 Plains (ELD) 253
9 Mountain (ELD) 265
1 Syr Alin, the Lion's Claw (ELD) 32

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Completely random but I just got a 15th pick merfolk secretkeeper, what in the gently caress is arena even doing?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

GrandpaPants posted:

In my experience it's fine enough outside of Golos decks. But yeah, Golos itself is definitely on the shitlist.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Bust Rodd posted:

How many sweepers do you need exactly?
more than whats available in standard for all colors :/ it's just deck after deck in brawl that's an on curve creature every turn

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Spiderdrake posted:

Their UI loving sucks.

gently caress me this whole time I thought I had to choose standard then go into the deck stats screen and change it there. Thanks

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Why would you ever concede when you have timers in BO3? I've won multiple "lost" matches by timing my opp out. Mostly Nexus, but also a few random Espers with Teferi tuck wincon.

When your wincon actually take more than half the 30 minutes clock even when you are far ahead, maybe you need to add a few more wincons instead. Plus have fun "playing out your combo" aka clicking stuff as frantic as you can while I'm chilling out doing something else instead.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Also when you select to play brawl from the main screen and go to choose your deck, when you make a deck from that prompt it will automatically make it in that format. Worked wonders in the artisan event.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Playing Brawl today gave me a single Feather as an individual card reward. So now I have a new Brawl deck!

Doltos posted:

Oh man it'd be great that the reason Oko is broken is because they were afraid that Questing Beast would one shot him if he was 3 health with two +1's.

The Planeswalker Design Bible states there can be no way to gain card advantage from dealing with them.

Hell, I'd settle for just a Bone to Ash that hits Planeswalkers too. Reprint Dismiss?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Carillon posted:

So I've been getting into MTG recently so still new and I think I have a pretty small collection, but have been having fun and getting my sea-legs under me. Hopefully it's ok to post a deck and get some advice on a few ways I might think about improving it! I've been having fun with a R/W knight deck mainly in standard rank, so Bo1. Would love to hear if this is a non starter in the meta generally, if there are some cards that will make sense to work towards, and the difference between ranked constructed and limited which I'm not clear on.

You're sort of on the way there. I'm a filthy knight lover too. Disclaimer: I'm bad at the game.

Most of the good knights live in Black, thanks to Knight of the Ebon Legion, Eldraine adding Murderous Rider and Order of Midnight, etc. However going three colours is pretty greedy and you'll want tons of dual lands to support it, which you won't have as a newer player. I'd work towards getting a set of shocklands (pay 2 life or enter tapped) and finish your set of Tournament Grounds if you want to do that.

If you don't want to switch from Red/White, here's some stuff to consider;
  • Youthful Knight isn't a bad card, but Venerable Knight has the same stats for one mana less and a better ability so I would drop the former.
  • You already have some Truefire Captains! Nice. I'd also consider Boros Challenger - Boros doesn't synergize directly as he isn't a knight, but the Mentor mechanic can be useful for turning your smaller Knights into more of a threat and it can come on quicker than Truefire.
  • I've always had problems getting past beefy stuff and closing out a game, so I'd look for sources of flying, trample and removal. Trapped in the Tower is a cheap lockdown spell that can be tutored by Acclaimed Contender, but you can also look at Pacifism and Prison Realm. Embercleave is a fantastic game closing piece of equipment and definitely something to put on the wishlist. Shocks, Pyrohelix and Dragonfire should be in to tip the scales in a fight. If you're on a real budget, two Garrison Griffins can help make your Knights evasive, but I don't think they are very good outside of it.
  • Knight of the Keep is :mediocre:. Embereth Shieldbreaker has also disappointed me - the artefact killing ability seems very good but its attached to a 2-mana 2/1 with no abilities.

I suppose if you're that early, my next steps would be to just try and get four of everything and finding some dual lands to help your mana. Hope this helps!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jorath posted:

The most efficient way is to go into the Brawl format and make it from there, but that only works when Brawl is active...

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
It would be really cool if "going second" was pseudo-random so that it doesn't happen 9 times in a row or more. I don't think this would be a bad change for a game that, last I checked, has a whopping 19% avg wr difference across all decks between going first and second. Obviously the pseudorng should be exclusive to each mode so that you can't exploit it between play and ranked.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

Kawabata posted:

It would be really cool if "going second" was pseudo-random so that it doesn't happen 9 times in a row or more. I don't think this would be a bad change for a game that, last I checked, has a whopping 19% avg wr difference across all decks between going first and second. Obviously the pseudorng should be exclusive to each mode so that you can't exploit it between play and ranked.

That's not really solving the issue, but merely hides it. What they should do is reinvestigate, similar to previous Vancouver Mulligan, on what additonal benefit that they can give to the 2nd player - a free mulligan, for example. Or some extra life.

That way, it's actually a real choice whether to play first or second, rather than the current no-brainer.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Since we are doing Knights lists this is what I have been trying out.

3 Corpse Knight
2 Acclaimed Contender
4 Venerable Knight
4 Worthy Knight
4 Knight of the Ebon Legion
3 Murderous Rider
2 Midnight Reaper
3 Order of Midnight
3 Smitten Swordmaster
2 Belle of the Brawl
1 Ethereal Absolution
2 Knights' Charge
2 Conclave Tribunal
4 Godless Shrine
4 Scoured Barrens
2 Tournament Grounds
6 Swamp
2 Castle Locthwain
5 Plains
1 Temple of Silence
1 Icon of Ancestry

Sideboard
2 Devout Decree
2 Noxious Grasp
2 Legion's End
3 Youthful Knight
2 Blacklance Paragon
2 Mortify
2 Unbreakable Formation

Maybe I should thighten the list up a bit with more 4 of's but some cards are just better in some matchups.
Regarding youthful knight in the convo above- swap him in vs aggro instead of corpse knight. Same with Blacklance paragon vs Beefy decks.
Casting Knights charge for the full 8 is hilarious when I get to do it in slower matchups.
Any ideas of what I could improve?
Ethereal absolution is hard to cast sometimes but getting the secondary effect of getting the flying spirits as blockers have saved me quite a bit.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

srulz posted:

That's not really solving the issue, but merely hides it. What they should do is reinvestigate, similar to previous Vancouver Mulligan, on what additonal benefit that they can give to the 2nd player - a free mulligan, for example. Or some extra life.

That way, it's actually a real choice whether to play first or second, rather than the current no-brainer.

Do they want to solve it though? Extra life or a free mulligan sure would help.

Even then, it's a pretty soul crushing experience to lose several close matches in a row that you know you would've won if you went first. Normalizing coin flip rng goes a long way to make the game feel less frustrating before they actually manage to solve the issue.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Doltos posted:

Yep saw that article but the guys point was more that he was saying that people concede too fast when they still have a possibility to win, and that it seems like Arena players do it more.

Gamers in general are massive babies that would rather quit at the first sign of adversity than try to fight out a win from behind, so I'm not surprised that the version of the game that finally penetrates the 'gamer' space is full of quitters.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
OTOH, I find that many games I win, I win from behind because my opponents are very complacent about my army of 1-3 creatures while I keep murdering their big hitters with foulmire knights or murder, giving me enough time to pull enough cards to win by attrition while they're focusing all their cards on killing ayaras or lilianas

Yesterday I had 2 games back to back, where people got me down to 1 or 2 life, then i won the match at 30 life. Also let me tell you having to cast foulmire directly without adventure because you're at 1 life sucks lmao

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
After spending the Artisan event playing a Dimir draw-go deck, I've been more baffled about some people not quitting.

I had a few mono red players get bizarrely stubborn about their odds while in topdeck mode, and facing three Revenge of Ravens on board and a nearly full hand.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Vando posted:

Gamers in general are massive babies that would rather quit at the first sign of adversity than try to fight out a win from behind, so I'm not surprised that the version of the game that finally penetrates the 'gamer' space is full of quitters.

The Greatest Generation never would have snap conceded like you miserable millennial gamer cowards, and furthermore

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Does anyone run this game at 1440p? I'm getting a new monitor this month and I'm wondering if it's just going to break the game.

I mean, with a normal game you wouldn't ask, but... Just planning around whether or not I need to have the replaced system set up immediately.

Sinteres posted:

The Greatest Generation never would have snap conceded like you miserable millennial gamer cowards, and furthermore
Totally, they ran right into the machine gun fire or got executed on the front line for PTSD like good and proper gentlemen!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Kawabata posted:

Play Bo3

srulz posted:

Why would you ever concede when you have timers in BO3? I've won multiple "lost" matches by timing my opp out. Mostly Nexus, but also a few random Espers with Teferi tuck wincon.

When your wincon actually take more than half the 30 minutes clock even when you are far ahead, maybe you need to add a few more wincons instead. Plus have fun "playing out your combo" aka clicking stuff as frantic as you can while I'm chilling out doing something else instead.

In general, you are gaining absolutely nothing of value by wasting time and proving a point to someone who will never get the hint or modify their behavior. This Pyrrhic victory is a self own. Anytime someone posts “And then I sat there and MADE THEM play out the game and I WON due to TIMERS!” you’re literally bragging that you couldn’t beat them and you’re a bad sport and it’s like insanely funny.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Nov 7, 2019

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Ahhhhh finially finished grinding Gold again.

Also finally caved and stopped clinging to Woodland Champion as part of my main deck, which is fun and combo-y in a way that appeals to me but so rarely actually has a chance to get swole that it's just not that good.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kawabata posted:

... you want bad luck protection on a coin flip?

Bust Rodd posted:

In general, you are gaining absolutely nothing of value by wasting time and proving a point to someone who will never get the hint or modify their behavior. This Pyrrhic victory is a self own. Anytime someone posts “And then I sat there and MADE THEM play out the game and I WON due to TIMERS!” you’re literally bragging that you couldn’t beat them and you’re a bad sport and it’s like insanely funny.

Wow, "making them win the game instead of quitting is bad sportsmanship" is a galaxy-brained take

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m not talking about sportsmanship at all, I’m saying the “make them play it out” crew are all operating under this stupid boomer notion that forcing the game to timers is in anyway less of a scumbag move than playing no win conditions in the first place. You’re not better than your lovely opponent, you’re literally exactly as bad.

I also don’t see the value in it. I hit Mythic just as easily giving up on boring games that I don’t want to play, and I don’t play that kind of stupid infinite bullshit anyway.

It’s just this endless game of Smug Jenga. “You’re not the most insipid dweeb, I AM!”

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I watched sjow and he had a long game against a cat food opponent who lost to the timer.

During game 1.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I don't see how this solves the go-first advantage. Any match that goes to three games is gonna have somebody going first twice

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m not talking about sportsmanship at all, I’m saying the “make them play it out” crew are all operating under this stupid boomer notion that forcing the game to timers is in anyway less of a scumbag move than playing no win conditions in the first place. You’re not better than your lovely opponent, you’re literally exactly as bad.

I also don’t see the value in it. I hit Mythic just as easily giving up on boring games that I don’t want to play, and I don’t play that kind of stupid infinite bullshit anyway.

It’s just this endless game of Smug Jenga. “You’re not the most insipid dweeb, I AM!”

You literally said "you're a bad sport."

And no, to win a game of Magic the Gathering there are certain conditions you must meet. Making a deck that can't meet said conditions in the time limits provided ahead of time makes your deck bad and/or your play slow. Telling someone they are a "bad sport" for not giving wins to people who can't meet said conditions is ridiculous, Bust Rodd

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If you want to get better at magic, you should turn every loss into a lesson. If you intrinsically understand already that you could still win if they simply were forced to time, then that’s fine, but you aren’t improving as a player in anyway by actually wasting your own time to do it in a free video game. If scraping every single win matters more to you, no matter how tedious and time consuming, without ever making a meaningful decision, then that’s your game to play. I concede that I’m simply not that kind of player, I’m not gonna waste my time playing a game I couldn’t win with the cards in my deck.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Wafflecopper posted:

I don't see how this solves the go-first advantage. Any match that goes to three games is gonna have somebody going first twice

Consider that the majority of people's sideboards usually consists of cheap answers to whatever your opponent is trying to do.

The go-first advantage is typically smaller in post-board games, because the threats don't get any better when you're sideboarding, (if they're better, why aren't they in your maindeck?), but the answers do. So it's less likely that one player will be tempoed out of the game.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Instead you will let the other person win the game they couldn't with the resources available to them either.

Cool

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
It would be cool if magic tournaments had a system like chess where you get to go first roughly the same amount of times as you go second.

For tournament level magic I think the play/draw difference is much smaller though, especially compared to something like Brawl which iirc has a really stark difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homers BBBq
Mar 11, 2008

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

... you want bad luck protection on a coin flip?

I think his point is that a lot of people have experienced long streaks of going second to the point where it feels like there are other forces at work and it isn't a coin flip. Could just be peoples' perceptions or selective memory but you would have a better chance of winning the lottery than going second as many times in a row as some people have claimed. It doesn't bother me anymore now that I play mostly bo3 though so that would be my advice to people.