Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Krispy Wafer posted:

This. Listening to my mom bitch about the taxes she’d have to pay on her stock was so aggravating. If your share is worth $100 you don’t pay taxes on $100. You take what you paid for the share (say $70) and pay an incredibly low capital gains on the difference. This poo poo isn’t difficult. Something like $4. Then we’d have the same conversation 6 months later.

Some people just don’t think they should pay taxes.
They believe they're being "double taxed" on capital gains even though they're only paying taxes on money they didn't have before. They don't understand money keeps going around and around and being taxed over and over again. That's just how money works. I pay a carpenter in post tax dollars, yet he still pays taxes on it. He buys supplies with that money and pays taxes on it. The vendor receiving that money pays taxes on it. poo poo isn't confusing. Boomers are dumb and would rather have a lovely society than pay taxes.

My mom posted a Facebook pic that said workers with a single baloney slice sandwich and then a welfare with lobster. I posted that the max in our state is 6.50 a day or something. Then some dumb boomer said "I SAW SOMEONE BUYING SUCHI WITH AN EBT CARD. EATING GOOD ON OUR DIME!" FYI, that boomer was unemployed. Also, my mom was on food stamps and is on state insurance yet still thinks she's somehow superior to the people that "abuse" it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Leon Einstein posted:

They believe they're being "double taxed" on capital gains even though they're only paying taxes on money they didn't have before. They don't understand money keeps going around and around and being taxed over and over again. That's just how money works. I pay a carpenter in post tax dollars, yet he still pays taxes on it. He buys supplies with that money and pays taxes on it. The vendor receiving that money pays taxes on it. poo poo isn't confusing. Boomers are dumb and would rather have a lovely society than pay taxes.

My mom posted a Facebook pic that said workers with a single baloney slice sandwich and then a welfare with lobster. I posted that the max in our state is 6.50 a day or something. Then some dumb boomer said "I SAW SOMEONE BUYING SUCHI WITH AN EBT CARD. EATING GOOD ON OUR DIME!" FYI, that boomer was unemployed. Also, my mom was on food stamps and is on state insurance yet still thinks she's somehow superior to the people that "abuse" it.

Boomers really do love to complain about how many bags of chips they saw the black person in front of them at Kroger buy with an EBT card.

Hell, I remember when I was unemployed I attempted to get an EBT card, and I made too much money on unemployment. You have to be loving poor to get an EBT.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
How would you even know someone was using an EBT card?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Pook Good Mook posted:

Tangentially related and possible unpopular opinion, but "ageism" is completely invented bullshit that's used exclusively by old people who refuse to learn anything or adapt to changes. My work still gets the loving newspaper delivered because heaven forbid we just get a mass login for online editions. We got a new coffee machine that I've had to explain and re-teach to the same people endlessly for the past month.

To the extent "ageism" is a real thing that actually happens, it is almost never actually happening the way Boomers think it is.

Absolutely. There are actual problems of elder abuse that happen in shoddy retirement homes and by (ironically, usually boomer) children of the elderly who can't defend themselves.

Or even older people who try to find a job and won't get it next to a younger candidate because of certain perceptions. My dad took advantage of the Ontario government's "second career" option after 2008 where he got to take a 2-year college program to find another job. When he got nothing for a couple of years, he said "gently caress it, I'm now officially retired".

But it's never that. Similar to terms like "virtue signalling", there are specific reasons where it's appropriate, but it's been appropriated by idiots and has become essentially meaningless at best, and a marker on who to avoid at worst.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Leon Einstein posted:

Where I live you swipe the card before you pay with anything else, which to me would mean that only the EBT items count and everything else they’re paying for themselves, but also racism is a decent sized chunk of it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Leon Einstein posted:

It’s branded in a specific way. So basically, by having seen enough of them to know what the branding looks like.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

bobjr posted:

Where I live you swipe the card before you pay with anything else, which to me would mean that only the EBT items count and everything else they’re paying for themselves, but also racism is a decent sized chunk of it.

Coolguye posted:

It’s branded in a specific way. So basically, by having seen enough of them to know what the branding looks like.

So in other words, they know because they're not minding their own loving business.

Jascum
Sep 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo
Mike Rowe is a scumbag, but have y’all seen Undercover Boss? It is also peak boomer.

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

I would venture to guess less than 5% of the total boomer population understand progressive taxation.

Not only do they not understand the how the payment's are structured but are totally removed from what the money is for. Every single one of them seems to have this one dimensional take which is that: tax is money being "stolen" from them. Not that they get services for the tax like a livable society or defined benefits.

I've heard multiple times over the past year how getting a raise is actually a bad thing because "you are just going to pay more TAX!!!". Raising taxes on the middle class (LOL) will destroy the economy (bigly LOL)!! You can't raise taxes on the wealthy they EARNED that money!! No one will want to be RICH then what!??!!!

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Boomers love to have their phone ringers at full volume and letting it ring until voicemail picks up.
Especially when they're at the doctor's office.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Picnic Princess posted:

I remember it being used at a place I used to work, but it was the opposite with real consequences: they refused to give younger people managerial positions because "young people aren't as smart because they don't have life experience".

There's a big difference between that and "I don't feel like responding to your outdated opinion on Twitter".

But see, even that isn't "ageism." It might be lovely and wrong, but "lack of experience" is a legit reason to not hire/promote someone.

I know in practice it was almost certainly because of a perception problem, but that's not "ageism." Of course, it's different if "lack of experience" is exclusively leveled at young people and never applied to 40-somethings who've changed careers.

"Ageism" is 2 people who are equally qualified and you make the choice based solely on the person's age. But as you point out, in practice it can affect young and old.

Frankly, I think "ageism" is completely valid if you're looking to fill an entry-level or mid-level job and you've got a 35 year old and a 60 year old. There's no point hiring the 60 year old and investing effort training them and paying them for them to leave you in 7 years anyway. I realize saying "ageism" can be valid is not exactly kosher, but I wouldn't expect to get hired at my current job when I'm 60 if there's someone my age willing to do it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Framboise posted:

So in other words, they know because they're not minding their own loving business.

I've seen them in two different states and they look like a credit/debit card to me.

You'd have to be one doing one of the following to notice:
a) pretty much up the rear end of the person in front of you and paying attention to their card
b) assuming that any person of color is always using an EBT card
c) parroting some poo poo that they heard on conservative radio/Fox News/ONN/etc.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
Noone will invest if you raise capital gains rates. They will somehow stop caring about making more money if it is marginally less than before, duh.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Framboise posted:

More importantly, they are not only being nosy, the point is that you only recognize an EBT card if you've worked at grocery stores in the past decade or so or have been on food stamps. So they're hypocrites as well as nosy.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

number 1 snake fan posted:

Boomers love to have their phone ringers at full volume and letting it ring until voicemail picks up.
Especially when they're at the doctor's office.

They really like hearing Jimmy Buffet every time it rings though

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pook Good Mook posted:

Frankly, I think "ageism" is completely valid if you're looking to fill an entry-level or mid-level job and you've got a 35 year old and a 60 year old. There's no point hiring the 60 year old and investing effort training them and paying them for them to leave you in 7 years anyway. I realize saying "ageism" can be valid is not exactly kosher, but I wouldn't expect to get hired at my current job when I'm 60 if there's someone my age willing to do it.

This only holds until you remember the 35 year-old is likely to jump ship first new offer they get too. Mercenary economy bitches! :negative:

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Iron Crowned posted:

They really like hearing Jimmy Buffet every time it rings though

Oh yeah, i forgot: custom ringtones

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

This only holds until you remember the 35 year-old is likely to jump ship first new offer they get too. Mercenary economy bitches! :negative:

I guess my post was premised on a job/company you'd actually want to stay at, fair point.

Relatedly, a favorite schaden of mine is boomers complaining that young people won't stay at a job when they're responsible for the Reagan era right to work push.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Framboise posted:

Correct. There is ONE store I have ever walked into that makes the information reasonably discoverable, and that’s when they have those giant screens that show the whole order, and then also provide fine details about the payment method. Most places will just display “CARD” when you use a card of any stripe, but a few of them display “DEBIT” or “CREDIT” or “EBT”.

So it could ostensibly be that this establishment is violating peoples’ privacy but still arguably you should be politely looking elsewhere when that giant screen isn’t for you.

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

mind the walrus posted:

If my company interviewed anyone younger than the age of 50 for the good six figgie jobs with nice benefits they wouldn't have that problem.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Pook Good Mook posted:

Tangentially related and possible unpopular opinion, but "ageism" is completely invented bullshit that's used exclusively by old people who refuse to learn anything or adapt to changes. My work still gets the loving newspaper delivered because heaven forbid we just get a mass login for online editions. We got a new coffee machine that I've had to explain and re-teach to the same people endlessly for the past month.

To the extent "ageism" is a real thing that actually happens, it is almost never actually happening the way Boomers think it is.

I hired an 18 year old with almost no work experience for a physical labor job that had quit his first job as a CNA within 2 weeks tell me that it was ageism that he didn't immediately get jobs that "fit his skillset" in Missoula (incredibly tough job market). I just straight up laughed in his face

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mind the walrus posted:

If capitalism would give more than an token %2 raise per year (only if you're good) that wouldn't happen.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Boomer men refuse to sit down to pee bc they think it'll invalidate their masculinity and make their dicks fall off but they also refuse to stand close enough or aim so they end up pissing all over the toilet, down the sides, and all over the floor.
Then it's not their problem anymore and they bitch about how filthy the bathroom is.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

sweet thursday posted:

SCHOOL OF HARD KNOCKS under Education on their fb profiles

My dad. Check.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

thatguy posted:

I hired an 18 year old with almost no work experience for a physical labor job that had quit his first job as a CNA within 2 weeks tell me that it was ageism that he didn't immediately get jobs that "fit his skillset" in Missoula (incredibly tough job market). I just straight up laughed in his face

"Average white-guy syndrome" is real and crosses generations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Boomer men refuse to sit down to pee bc they think it'll invalidate their masculinity and make their dicks fall off but they also refuse to stand close enough or aim so they end up pissing all over the toilet, down the sides, and all over the floor.
Then it's not their problem anymore and they bitch about how filthy the bathroom is.

I have never understood this nonsense. Hitting the head is one of the only times I get to soak in privacy and quiet during my work day, you better believe that when I go there I’m gonna sit down and enjoy it.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

DorkusMalorkus posted:

I work in a place that sells cigarettes and our corporate masters have now enacted a "card everyone" policy for every cigarette purchase. It's dumb and everyone knows and agrees that it is dumb, but the vast majority of people of all ages will just pull out their drat ID when we ask for it.

The times I have witnessed customers get really mad and yell or curse out the cashier are always old people. No one under the age of 40 really cares about being carded. And yes, we all know that someone with grey hair is obviously old enough to buy cigarettes, but that does not change the fact that we have to ask for ID. It's a stupid policy but like if you hate it, go somewhere else. It's not like the cashier personally gives a gently caress if you never come back. We all just loving work here! What the hell is the POINT of yelling at a cashier making $10 an hour, who has no say in these dumb corporate policies, other than to make yourself feel like a big man. Oh yeah, cause it's almost always the boomer men that curse out cashiers too.

There are also some that won't yell and scream at the cashiers, but they just don't want you to scan their ID, just type in the birthdate instead, because "who knows where that information is going when you scan it?" Uh, yeah, like the government might steal access to your government-issued ID, or what?? I can't quite figure out what they are so worried about. Old people will fall for really obvious internet scams but then get fearful and disbelieving at mundane things that don't matter.

My parents are like this. It became common to have a blanket policy of carding everyone at a lot of restaurants in my hometown due to the severity of consequences of serving someone underage, and a law which results in people with multiple DUIs having a brand placed on their license and being banned from alcohol purchases. My parents take it as a personal affront every time they are carded, and will make a point of getting huffy about it to the server, often leaving the restaurant and refusing to come back to places with such policies. I've talked with them about it a few times and given them crap for making the staff's life harder for no reason, asking why they're taking this out on people who definitely cannot change that policy and for whom making an exception probably jeapordizes their employment, etc... They've stopped being as dramatic about it when I'm visiting but will still grouse about "...it's like they assume we're all criminals!" and so on and I can only roll my eyes.

They're also super paranoid about giving out their actual residence address to government departments, "biometrics" in passports (the embedded chip thing on modern ones I think?), and so on... Like you say, poo poo that doesn't actually matter and that there is no logic to worrying about in context. I understand not wanting to give information to private entities, but if you're at a point where you're worried about whether or not the DMV has the right address on file or whatever, you're probably boned anyway and if you've successfully obscured it it just means more fines or charges when, not if, whichever agency is after you shows up at your door.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pook Good Mook posted:

"Average white-guy syndrome" is real and crosses generations.

"But I'm the protagonist!"

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

super nailgun posted:

My parents are like this. It became common to have a blanket policy of carding everyone at a lot of restaurants in my hometown due to the severity of consequences of serving someone underage, and a law which results in people with multiple DUIs having a brand placed on their license and being banned from alcohol purchases. My parents take it as a personal affront every time they are carded, and will make a point of getting huffy about it to the server, often leaving the restaurant and refusing to come back to places with such policies. I've talked with them about it a few times and given them crap for making the staff's life harder for no reason, asking why they're taking this out on people who definitely cannot change that policy and for whom making an exception probably jeapordizes their employment, etc... They've stopped being as dramatic about it when I'm visiting but will still grouse about "...it's like they assume we're all criminals!" and so on and I can only roll my eyes.

They're also super paranoid about giving out their actual residence address to government departments, "biometrics" in passports (the embedded chip thing on modern ones I think?), and so on... Like you say, poo poo that doesn't actually matter and that there is no logic to worrying about in context. I understand not wanting to give information to private entities, but if you're at a point where you're worried about whether or not the DMV has the right address on file or whatever, you're probably boned anyway and if you've successfully obscured it it just means more fines or charges when, not if, whichever agency is after you shows up at your door.

And yet I got "Aren't you going to card me :haw:" jokes from boomer women all the time when I didn't. Or "Oh, card her, I think she's underage" jokes from the boomer men accompanying them.

Not older people. We had plenty of 70+ year olds back when I used to do it, and they were usually pretty polite and undemanding.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Jascum posted:

Mike Rowe is a scumbag, but have y’all seen Undercover Boss? It is also peak boomer.

I remember the pilot episode exposed textbook wage theft. Every minute late you were from a break or lunch they would deduct two minutes of pay. Incredibly illegal.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Yup, that's the bathroom at my office. By about 3pm, the floor in front of the urinals is soaked.

Pook Good Mook posted:

But see, even that isn't "ageism." It might be lovely and wrong, but "lack of experience" is a legit reason to not hire/promote someone.

I know in practice it was almost certainly because of a perception problem, but that's not "ageism." Of course, it's different if "lack of experience" is exclusively leveled at young people and never applied to 40-somethings who've changed careers.

"Ageism" is 2 people who are equally qualified and you make the choice based solely on the person's age. But as you point out, in practice it can affect young and old.

My old company had to have three years of mandatory anti-ageism training for all of its employees due to losing an ageism lawsuit leveled at them by a boomer who didn't like that the job posting said that it was a young company, was great for people right out of college, and that it was a junior position. Legally, ageism is discrimination against anyone over 40 due to their age. It doesn't cut both ways, though, so firing or not hiring someone under 40 because they're under 40 is perfectly fine.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm almost 40, and while most places have stopped carding me, I have my ID (and payment method) out before I'm even at the counter.

Boomers really don't seem to understand the concept of pulling your cards before they're specifically asked for them.

Need an ID? They wait for them to specifically ask for it despite the giant placard indicating everyone will be carded, and it happening every time they're there.

Been waiting in line for the last 5 minutes? Watch the cashier slack-jawed while they check everything out and bag it, and announce the total, before even bothering to fish around for their credit card.

Every loving time.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

There are a growing number of over 50 apartment complexes near me so I wonder how that doesn’t get an ageism lawsuit.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames
how the gently caress do yall have a 401k or have any money saved for retirement at all lmao

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I know millennials have it much tougher, but acting like having a 401k is an absurdly difficult thing to have is strange. I've had entry level side jobs with 401ks.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Lactose Is Wack posted:

I would venture to guess less than 5% of the total boomer population understand progressive taxation.

Not only do they not understand the how the payment's are structured but are totally removed from what the money is for. Every single one of them seems to have this one dimensional take which is that: tax is money being "stolen" from them. Not that they get services for the tax like a livable society or defined benefits.

I've heard multiple times over the past year how getting a raise is actually a bad thing because "you are just going to pay more TAX!!!". Raising taxes on the middle class (LOL) will destroy the economy (bigly LOL)!! You can't raise taxes on the wealthy they EARNED that money!! No one will want to be RICH then what!??!!!

I have worked with multiple boomers over the years that always bitched about raises and even tried talking their boss out of raises altogether. They were wholly convinced that if they made even one dollar over the tax bracket top they were in now, they'd be taxed so much that take-home pay would be less than before. I was in my early twenties then and I was really confused by how supposedly responsible adults could be so offensively stupid. I didn't know what to say to that and nodded along, usually.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Leon Einstein posted:

I know millennials have it much tougher, but acting like having a 401k is an absurdly difficult thing to have is strange. I've had entry level side jobs with 401ks.

OK Boomer

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

bobjr posted:

There are a growing number of over 50 apartment complexes near me so I wonder how that doesn’t get an ageism lawsuit.

I wouldn't begin to know the legal ins and outs but the very bottom of the bottom lines is "it generates revenue."

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Just got an E-mail from the company prohibiting any "Ok Boomer" memes being shared through phones.

I have tenure so I responded accordingly. lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Boomers love having a Verizon ringback tone of La Primavera and it sounds like absolute poo poo