Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2019/1106/1088983-saracens-a-no-show-at-champions-cup-launch/

Sarries showing the expected amount of class about the whole business

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Communist Bear posted:

There isn't. It's an old school club of corruption and bribery.

It would make sense to enter them into the championship with new Zealand/Australia/Boks etc rather than six Nations, due to location. But gently caress knows if any of it will happen.

Swap Japan and Australia.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Vagabundo posted:

Swap Japan and Australia.

Still better than Australia deserves

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Scotland fined £70k and being forced to apologise to World Rugby and Rugby World Cup Limited for bringing the game into disrepute over the fiasco in Japan.

World Rugby sticking the boot in to cover failings on both sides to not look like total fuckwits seems standard practice. I'm sure Pichot will say something incredibly stupid about residency soon to redress the balance.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Vaders Jester posted:

Scotland fined £70k and being forced to apologise to World Rugby and Rugby World Cup Limited for bringing the game into disrepute over the fiasco in Japan.

World Rugby sticking the boot in to cover failings on both sides to not look like total fuckwits seems standard practice. I'm sure Pichot will say something incredibly stupid about residency soon to redress the balance.

Lol good.

I love Scotland but threatening to sue world rugby over a typhoon was dumb.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

"forced to apologise"

Amazing.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Kitchner posted:

Lol good.

I love Scotland but threatening to sue world rugby over a typhoon was dumb.

Spoilers: They didn't threaten anything, seeking legal advice on the T&C of a contract isn't a threat to sue anyone.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

bessantj posted:

"forced to apologise"

Amazing.

Yeah, it's literally in the punishment handed down that the SRU have to apologise.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Vaders Jester posted:

Spoilers: They didn't threaten anything, seeking legal advice on the T&C of a contract isn't a threat to sue anyone.

Of course not.

If your employer brings you into the office and says they were very displeased with your conduct at work and they are speaking to their lawyers for advice, that is in no way threatening whatsoever.

Nope siree, just normal every day activity to speak to your lawyers when you aren't seriously considering legal action. Not only doing that, but then very normal to announce it to the world in a press conference when they could have just saught advice privately.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Kitchner posted:

Of course not.

If your employer brings you into the office and says they were very displeased with your conduct at work and they are speaking to their lawyers for advice, that is in no way threatening whatsoever.

Nope siree, just normal every day activity to speak to your lawyers when you aren't seriously considering legal action. Not only doing that, but then very normal to announce it to the world in a press conference when they could have just saught advice privately.

Correct. Saying "I'm seeking legal advice regarding my contract because I think there might be extenuating circumstances here" is literally just that, especially regarding the possible force majeure about moving venues on the same day. It's almost like suing people isn't the only thing legal advice can be used for. The dumbfuck move in the SRUs case was saying they were doing it in public.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I mean I don't think anyone here is advocating that the SRU can't talk to its lawyers whenever it wants.

I'm saying that they threatened to sue World Rugby because they held a press conference where they said they were seeking legal advice.

If someone tells you something you've done is bad and they are speaking to a lawyer, that's a threat.

"Hi tenant, I'm not happy with the state you are keeping my house in, I'm speaking to a lawyer"

"hi employee, I'm not happy with your performance, I'm speaking to a lawyer"

"Hello sir, I am not happy with the fact you keep going through my wife's garbage, I'm speaking to a lawyer".

They threatened World Rugby, were asked to apologise and donate to a disaster charity, refused and suggested both sides should make a statement saying it was everyone's fault, and then got slapped with a fine and told to apologise for threatening WR. Totally deserved.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

I'm pretty sure they were happy to pay the fine to charity, it's the apology to World Rugby when the "robust contingency plan" of moving the match to a stadium 14 miles away when storms are regularly a 100km across, was laughably shite that was galling to the SRU.

Both parties are loving morons but WR are just sticking the boot in and being belligerent pricks about it.

Vaders Jester fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 7, 2019

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
The day the SRU has to write a contingency plan for 100km wide typhoons occurring during the last 3 days of their rugby world cup pool stages and they have a better plan I'll take that criticism seriously.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Good thing WR had 2 years to look at other options for a weather phenomenon that occurs every year then.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
just lol if you think a typhoon like Hagibis happens "every year"

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I mean if you want to make the argument it's dumb to hole a world cup in a country where it can suffer from typhoons during typhoon season. That's fair, but if you only hold the world cup in countries safe from extreme weather it will be held in the British Isles every time.

The counter argument is holding the world cup in an up and coming country like Japan benefits rugby more than the risk of a typhoon happening to occur during the world cup pool stages (they already said basically if it happens in the pool stages there's no time to rearrange games).

Personally I think the benefit did outweigh the risks, and I think even in hindsight it was the right call.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

just lol if you think a typhoon like Hagibis happens "every year"

Not what I said. It's literally called typhoon season, Hagibis was a freak storm even by Japanese standards but it's not like they didn't know that typhoons were a thing.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Kitchner posted:

I mean if you want to make the argument it's dumb to hole a world cup in a country where it can suffer from typhoons during typhoon season. That's fair, but if you only hold the world cup in countries safe from extreme weather it will be held in the British Isles every time.

The counter argument is holding the world cup in an up and coming country like Japan benefits rugby more than the risk of a typhoon happening to occur during the world cup pool stages (they already said basically if it happens in the pool stages there's no time to rearrange games).

Personally I think the benefit did outweigh the risks, and I think even in hindsight it was the right call.

By all means, hold it in Japan, even during the typhoon season, that's cool and it was one of the most fun world cups ever. But don't tell teams that there are "robust contingencies" in place when there really aren't. Either have those contingencies in place or say all matches will be cancelled. A half-arsed statement helps no one and just leads to confusion.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Vaders Jester posted:

Not what I said. It's literally called typhoon season, Hagibis was a freak storm even by Japanese standards but it's not like they didn't know that typhoons were a thing.

hmm it's almost as if the lesser typhoons that happen normally would have required far less of a contingency plan

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

hmm it's almost as if the lesser typhoons that happen normally would have required far less of a contingency plan

The lesser typhoons are bigger than 14 miles across but at least you tried.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Vaders Jester posted:

The lesser typhoons are bigger than 14 miles across but at least you tried.

right, and they don't tend to have things like 150mph winds which is the reason the games were called off

the worst that's likely to happen with a regular typhoon is a flooded pitch, hmm I wonder what the best response to that would be

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

right, and they don't tend to have things like 150mph winds which is the reason the games were called off

the worst that's likely to happen with a regular typhoon is a flooded pitch, hmm I wonder what the best response to that would be

Even the smallest are around 90mph, making play pretty much impossible in the local area.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Vaders Jester posted:

Even the smallest are around 90mph, making play pretty much impossible in the local area.

so instead you want people to be flying to the other end of the country in those winds? yeah that sounds like a great idea, what could possibly go wrong

if the contingency plan had been "play the game on another island" you'd have the SRU saying that the journey would be unsafe for players and fans

and this whole thing is moot anyway because, guess what, the game actually got played and there was no need for the SRU to get their legal dick out and start waving it around

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 7, 2019

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
I'm sure the SRU have plans in place for a three foot snowfall the evening before a game at murryfield :colbert:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Foxtrot_13 posted:

I'm sure the SRU have plans in place for a three foot snowfall the evening before a game at murryfield :colbert:

It's called a snifter of whiskey per player and being told "Get on outta there you wee pansies!"

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

so instead you want people to be flying to the other end of the country in those winds? yeah that sounds like a great idea, what could possibly go wrong

if the contingency plan had been "play the game on another island" you'd have the SRU saying that the journey would be unsafe for players and fans

and this whole thing is moot anyway because, guess what, the game actually got played and there was no need for the SRU to get their legal dick out and start waving it around

That's some weird leaps of logic you've made there, I'm not entirely sure where you got that I suggest planes fly through a typhoon but you do you.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Kitchner posted:

It's called a snifter of whiskey per player and being told "Get on outta there you wee pansies!"

Mark Dodson, is that you?!

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
SRU looked extra stupid when the game went ahead anyway and they were comprehensively beaten.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

In a shocking turn of events, feel free to have at it with the SRU, gently caress me they're dumb.

This is a post by Stuart Cameron, who has covered club rugby in Scotland for years and is now no longer allowed to as the SRU have revoked his license.

quote:

PERSONAL STATEMENT

I feel that I should explain to you why there will be no more club rugby coverage on ITV Border or online from today.

Scottish Rugby, after six years of allowing and encouraging my promotion of Club Rugby and Borders Rugby in particular, have decided to ban me from filming club matches in Scotland.

It is interesting to note the timing of Scottish Rugby’s email to me just as their new Super6 tournament is starting.

I believe putting an end to club rugby coverage is not in the interests of promoting or growing the game.

I totally accept Scottish Rugby wishing to protect the broadcast rights of Super6 (which will be on BBC online and Scottish Rugby’s own YouTube channel) by not allowing filming of that tournament.

There is no interest from any outside broadcast company to cover club rugby though, so to suddenly say I am no longer allowed to film and cover games in Scotland is a concern and I am struggling to see anything positive by making this decision.

ITV have been very supportive of me getting footage into the homes of people in this region to help promote Borders Rugby in particular and grow the game.

Club rugby has been a passion of mine for 50 years. I think anyone who knows me will realise what rugby means to me, so to have the ability to support the game snatched away mid-season without warning, is strange.

Of course I think the decision by Scottish Rugby is the wrong one but they have their own agenda.

I wish Scottish Rugby well as they try to grow the game and encourage youngsters into the sport in their own way.

I would like to thank everyone who has supported me in the past by helping me do what I loved doing more than anything - covering club rugby matches. It has been a real joy.

Disclaimer: This is a personal statement by me - I am not speaking on behalf of ITV Border.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Vaders Jester posted:

That's some weird leaps of logic you've made there, I'm not entirely sure where you got that I suggest planes fly through a typhoon but you do you.

well your problem with the original contingency plan seemed to be "the backup stadium is too close to the main one" so I'm explaining how an alternative plan of having the backup stadium a lot further away comes with its own issues

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Julio Cruz posted:

well your problem with the original contingency plan seemed to be "the backup stadium is too close to the main one" so I'm explaining how an alternative plan of having the backup stadium a lot further away comes with its own issues

No its fine, they should have done better. The SRU who mostly have to deal with drunk Scots throwing up their kebab and headbutting each other, the occasional heavy snow, and the odd enraged ram running around the road should teach Japan how to deal with natural disasters.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

You made up weird hypothetical situations that wouldn't happen to support your bizarre argument about flying through typhoons but carry on.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Kitchner posted:

No its fine, they should have done better. The SRU who mostly have to deal with drunk Scots throwing up their kebab and headbutting each other, the occasional heavy snow, and the odd enraged ram running around the road should teach Japan how to deal with natural disasters.

Nice strawman dude.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Vaders Jester posted:

In a shocking turn of events, feel free to have at it with the SRU, gently caress me they're dumb.

This is a post by Stuart Cameron, who has covered club rugby in Scotland for years and is now no longer allowed to as the SRU have revoked his license.

Always thought the best way to promote a sport is to restrict access. And they showing any of the Super6 on terrestrial?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

bessantj posted:

Always thought the best way to promote a sport is to restrict access. And they showing any of the Super6 on terrestrial?

BBC online and the SRU website for Super6 and hopefully the Welsh-Scottish crossborder comp, which is why folk think cutting out Cameron happened. If the SRU have two options, they will always pick the absolute worst.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Vaders Jester posted:

BBC online and the SRU website for Super6 and hopefully the Welsh-Scottish crossborder comp, which is why folk think cutting out Cameron happened. If the SRU have two options, they will always pick the absolute worst.

Might try and watch some of it, with a lot of rugby on pay channels I don't get to see most of it. Yeah, the WRU are also great as doing the worst thing.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

News es bueno

https://twitter.com/StuartCameronTV/status/1192822318952861697

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Great to see, he does a huge amount for club rugby so glad things have changed.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Vaders Jester posted:

You made up weird hypothetical situations that wouldn't happen to support your bizarre argument about flying through typhoons but carry on.

what exactly is hypothetical about having to fly to reach far-away stadiums in Japan? you realise it's a country made up of separate islands right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

what exactly is hypothetical about having to fly to reach far-away stadiums in Japan? you realise it's a country made up of separate islands right?

You suggested flying through typhoons, then suggested that the SRU would refuse to move venue if given the option. Neither of which make any sense at all.