Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

What's the quickest way to draw your gun on PC?

TAB for your previous, 1 for your pistol. Long arms are mapped to 8, but that’s a bit of a reach if you’re still trying to move. For that I have been using the TAB wheel.

That said, I had no idea I would be so poo poo at aiming while on horse back. With a controller I can down a flock of geese or a herd of deer, but with mouse control, I’m lucky to catch one moving target.

Even gunfights seem a bit harder, since all you have to do on a controller is to lock your target and move up slightly for a headshot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I wasn't aware that aiming is easier on consoles. Interesting. It's felt super wild west cause of the difficult less than a laser aiming. I had a wild af shootout with someone the other day cause of it.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Post-patch update: still i5-9600/1080Ti, still working with rare hitch. :iiam:

Got into town with Uncle, started poo poo, got hit. :v: Screwed around wandering the area, got chased off for thieving a can of corn, kind of accidentally kicked a dude when trying to see if I could pickpocket him while sleeping - hadda punch him to death, which lead me to running into the woods and hey, I can just run off a cliff edge no problem! (I just die at the bottom.)

Found a little red-tinted (map) gorge that had critters to hunt, but also seems to have bounty hunters. Stumbled into a shootout and found that target identification is a factor, as I shot one guy and then had both sides gunning for me. Learning all kinds of poo poo that either I skipped over when the game was telling me what it meant/how to handle it, or just haven't been told.

Still need to wash/brush my horse, and dammit can't I just wade into a creek and wash up myself or something?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

TAB for your previous, 1 for your pistol. Long arms are mapped to 8, but that’s a bit of a reach if you’re still trying to move. For that I have been using the TAB wheel.

This sucks. I had to make a second bind for "Take Out Gun" or whatever, because Tab is too finicky. If I really need to quick draw I just end up panicking and bringing up the weapon wheel. Your explanation isn't accounting for the fact that you still have to press AIM and SHOOT in the scenario you described. With a controller its just point and mash the trigger.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This sucks. I had to make a second bind for "Take Out Gun" or whatever, because Tab is too finicky. If I really need to quick draw I just end up panicking and bringing up the weapon wheel. Your explanation isn't accounting for the fact that you still have to press AIM and SHOOT in the scenario you described. With a controller its just point and mash the trigger.

Honestly, I thought that KB/M controls were going to be the best thing about this version, but I’ve found that I’m using a controller about 60/40.

The other mechanic I haven’t found on PC is the slow draw into dead eye by slowly pulling right trigger.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Ygolonac posted:

Post-patch update: still i5-9600/1080Ti, still working with rare hitch. :iiam:

Got into town with Uncle, started poo poo, got hit. :v: Screwed around wandering the area, got chased off for thieving a can of corn, kind of accidentally kicked a dude when trying to see if I could pickpocket him while sleeping - hadda punch him to death, which lead me to running into the woods and hey, I can just run off a cliff edge no problem! (I just die at the bottom.)

Found a little red-tinted (map) gorge that had critters to hunt, but also seems to have bounty hunters. Stumbled into a shootout and found that target identification is a factor, as I shot one guy and then had both sides gunning for me. Learning all kinds of poo poo that either I skipped over when the game was telling me what it meant/how to handle it, or just haven't been told.

Still need to wash/brush my horse, and dammit can't I just wade into a creek and wash up myself or something?

Brushing your horse gives it happy points but if you and/or your horse are dirty yeah you can just run out into some water, you dont need to dismount but i think you need a certain depth for it to clean you and it can take a few seconds for you to get clean.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

The other mechanic I haven’t found on PC is the slow draw into dead eye by slowly pulling right trigger.

Whoa whoa, what

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

webmeister posted:

If you can handle YouTube there’s some decent videos in that vein, but 100% avoid reading the comments since they’ll be full of spoilers. That’s how I got spoiled on a major plot twist :smith:

Watched one of these, apparently you can just lasoo animals then knife them to get perfect pelts, this was never told to me at all

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Whorelord posted:

Watched one of these, apparently you can just lasoo animals then knife them to get perfect pelts, this was never told to me at all

Much easier said then done. Anyone have tricks for the lasso? Should I only be throwing if I had a red dot cursor? Do I have to lead it?

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

You can basically start a duel at any time by giving the right trigger a slow squeeze. You’ll see a meter start to fill in the bottom right. At about 5/6th pull Dead Eye will be activated, and fully pulling the trigger will fire.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Gamer's Nexus did a CPU benchmark test, with some interesting results:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_ty-gajwoA

Basically all i5s do poorly. This game seems like it wants at least 8 threads. The 8-core 9700k looks like it has problems in the graph, but that is due to a weird bug with high frame rates that is resolved when you are GPU limited, and you are GPU limited with any settings higher than 1080p/medium on a RTX 2080 Ti.

On the other hand, if you have 8 threads, you should be fine assuming the game loads. Even the i7-2600K delivered pretty good performance.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Maybe red dead can finally be the thing to kick this industry into the current era of technology. We've been making games for sandybridge era tech this entire time.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

pyrotek posted:

Gamer's Nexus did a CPU benchmark test, with some interesting results:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_ty-gajwoA

Basically all i5s do poorly. This game seems like it wants at least 8 threads. The 8-core 9700k looks like it has problems in the graph, but that is due to a weird bug with high frame rates that is resolved when you are GPU limited, and you are GPU limited with any settings higher than 1080p/medium on a RTX 2080 Ti.

On the other hand, if you have 8 threads, you should be fine assuming the game loads. Even the i7-2600K delivered pretty good performance.

Odd, I have a 9600K but don't get any stuttering or freezing.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

I have an i7 and the game does run smooth.

Ikonoklast
Nov 16, 2007

A beacon for the liars and blind.
Game gave me a windows bluescreen for the first time in 2 years. Impressed.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

That makes sense RE: wanting 8 threads. If I recall correctly, PS4 and Xbone both have an 8 core AMD CPU.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I have a 4 core / 8 thread i7 and noticed that all my cpu cores (using msi afterburner) have barely any load but it's using all 8 at once. Sucks for i5 bro's.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I was getting all three error messages. By that I mean "failed to initiate launcher", "game exited unexpectedly" on launch and "unable to validate".

Was happening in both my win7 and win10 partitions. Updating the bios and then a clean install of the drivers got it working on both operating systems. I was very surprised that a bios update helped, as it sounded like generic IT advice, along with disabling AV and updating gpu drivers.

My game still crashes all the loving time though and also the game doesn't detect all of my GPU RAM from my gtx970 (but sometimes it does?). Still been having a lot of fun with my friends though and hope anyone still having problems can get it fixed soon

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Honestly, I thought that KB/M controls were going to be the best thing about this version, but I’ve found that I’m using a controller about 60/40.

Wait a minute, if you use a controller on pc does it do the snap-to auto-aim it does on consoles? Thatd be really unfair playing against mouse aimers. I wasn't great at combat in gta but I'm way worse at this, on and off a horse.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
You have to specify Free Aim in your control settings, so that you only end up in Free Aim lobbies. GTAV was the same way. On the other hand, the mouse aim feels floatier than I would like, especially after playing something hyper responsive like Call of Duty. It almost feels like the entire game was built around the idea that you were going to be locking on to folks.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 7, 2019

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I would imagine that, like GTAO, you can only use autoaim in autoaim lobbies which you're automatically shunted to if you have autoaim turned on in your settings. I don't actually know though.

It's not above rockstar to regress like that on a feature.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

davebo posted:

Wait a minute, if you use a controller on pc does it do the snap-to auto-aim it does on consoles? Thatd be really unfair playing against mouse aimers. I wasn't great at combat in gta but I'm way worse at this, on and off a horse.

I can only speak for story mode, but yes, when using a mouse there is no assistance, however when you pick up a controller it feels exactly like the console version.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

VectorSigma posted:

Odd, I have a 9600K but don't get any stuttering or freezing.

I had a worsening freeze issue when I first installed/played, but after the crash :ohdear: I updated to the latest video drivers and it's been drat near nonexistent since. (And some of that, I suspect, is unrelated stuff going on with platters in the background (:filez:).)

Thinking of trying some duck hunting with explosive slugs tonight. :unsmigghh:

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Valentine seems to be the biggest source of crashes for me, especially when I'm in a mission and returning there. Had an unavoidable crash every time I tried to give an NPC a ride back to town, and now crashing in the story mission where I have to bring sheep there.

Stuttering has gotten worse for me since yesterday

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
So I can finally launch the game now! After constant launcher crashes, whatever launcher update they put out today fixed it but then I was getting an infinite loading screen(s) on initiating story. Switching to vulkan got me through that, I can actually play now albeit with a fair bit of stuttering which I'm too tired to deal with now. Wouldn't be surprised if I can't get in tomorrow, seen plenty of folks on reddit saying they could play but can't now after updates

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

When I built my PC back in April, I am glad I went with the i7-8700K, instead of the i5 I was considering in order to save money.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Got this going at last, just had to reinstall the launcher. Game is god drat smooth on my i5 6600k and 1070 at 1440p with a mix of high and medium settings. Things get hitchy in towns though, looks like I need to fiddle with CPU affinity and process lasso as I cant watch the power draw on my PC drop in real time. Things hitch? Draw drops 140 watts. Hitch is gone? Back to normal draw levels.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Goddamn playing this with mouse+kb is a chore. What's a good gaming controller for PCs?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Capn Beeb posted:

Got this going at last, just had to reinstall the launcher. Game is god drat smooth on my i5 6600k and 1070 at 1440p with a mix of high and medium settings. Things get hitchy in towns though, looks like I need to fiddle with CPU affinity and process lasso as I cant watch the power draw on my PC drop in real time. Things hitch? Draw drops 140 watts. Hitch is gone? Back to normal draw levels.

I put this up in my discord for the guys but I think this will help:

[Image from article here for quick reference](https://imgur.com/a/vZa3D3G)

It seems the most taxing graphics options (in order) are:

1. MSAA
2. Reflection Quality
3. Water Quality
4. Volumetrics Quality
5. Near Volumetric Resolution
6. TAA
7. Shadow Quality
8. SSAO
9. Texture Quality
10. Volumetric Lighting Quality

All the rest seem to have meager returns.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Frankston posted:

Goddamn playing this with mouse+kb is a chore. What's a good gaming controller for PCs?

I got the new Xbox Elite Series 2 with this game in mind, and sweet drat is it nice. Pricy though, any Xbox controller will be decent otherwise.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Yeah I've got my graphics settings dialed in and when I'm out in the wilderness it's fine, just when I get near a city things start hiccuping. Wonder if I can permanently set the RDR2 .exe to a higher affinity level.

Also for y'all using a DS4, does vibration work for you? Not having rumble is going to make doing treasure hunting a lot harder.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Frankston posted:

There's a bunch of good ones and a bunch of people have opinions but the XBone controller is pretty much the standard for quality and compatibility. They'll most certainly be on sale for $40 on Black Friday.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Glenn Quebec posted:

I put this up in my discord for the guys but I think this will help:

[Image from article here for quick reference](https://imgur.com/a/vZa3D3G)

It seems the most taxing graphics options (in order) are:

1. MSAA
2. Reflection Quality
3. Water Quality
4. Volumetrics Quality
5. Near Volumetric Resolution
6. TAA
7. Shadow Quality
8. SSAO
9. Texture Quality
10. Volumetric Lighting Quality

All the rest seem to have meager returns.

This leaves out the geometry and grass draw distance sliders which both have huge impact on my 1070.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

According to whatever the hell article I found earlier in the day that has negligible impact relative the chart above but I'm not vested to really disagree with you.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Junkenstein posted:

This leaves out the geometry and grass draw distance sliders which both have huge impact on my 1070.

I think the way they tested is pretty flawed. It seems like what they did was run a benchmark with everything set to lowest, then run a benchmark with each particular setting tested set to max and report the difference between the two.

That leads to various problems. No mirrors in the benchmark? 0% difference! Maybe Far Volumetrics are turned off if Volumetric Quality is set to minimum, which is why there is a 0% difference. Playing on realistic quality settings could very easily change the impact of certain settings.

That said, I do believe that MSAA, reflections, water, and volumetrics generally will be the most intensive settings, so it is a good guide to that extent.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Using Process Lasso, I can see CPU usage drop in sync with the game freezing up. I hope they fix i5 problems, cause otherwise the game runs surprisingly well.

Kinda weird I can't set CPU affinity in task manager though, running as admin it still tells me access is denied.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I’m near the end of chapter two (but did a FUCKTON of side content the second I got my fishing rod) and I’m still in awe with how good the dialogue and writing is, Arthur is my friend

Also in awe about all the tiny details stuffed into the game but I can jerk that off after everyone’s game stops crashing (it runs better than GTAV on my computer somehow)

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Frankston posted:

If you own a PS4 your controller.will work just fine, but some games still show Xbox style button prompts

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
I have spent some time tweaking and benchmarking before diving in. My once mighty 1080 can only manage between 50-65 fps depending on settings but I think I finally found the silver bullet. It you mess with resolution scaling, you can really start improving things with little impact to visual quality. Simply scaling down to 97% gave me an extra 10% fps!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Well all my friends who have this game are godless cowards who will not venture online. Does anyone want to play? Is there a community? Is the only way to add people really through the social club website?