Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

Android Blues posted:

The quest chamber, with its hologram of Angella, is also a pseudo-tomb for the queen. The whole "entering a cave through a vertical slit in a waterfall" thing is classic return to the womb imagery, more so because Glimmer's mother is literally in there waiting for her. From this you get a dualism of womb/tomb which is real common subtext when exploring yonic spaces that are at once mystical, potentially nourishing, but dangerous and somehow forbidden or restricted. Glimmer is both returning to the site of her birth, and acknowledging the end of her childhood as she passes into adulthood. She returns to the womb so that she can confront her mother's absence, memorialise her, and then emerge reborn.

I don't think the snake is phallic at all, or at least it's not important to the metaphor. It's a hazard and a danger that must be tamed - essentially just a crisis in catabasis, the descent into the underworld, where the questant is stripped of their weapons and possessions (here, Glimmer is stripped of her ability to teleport) while confronting ghosts and demons that want to end their journey. Typically, those demons have to be reckoned with through diplomatic manners rather than combat, which is also how they defeat the serpent!

If you really wanna incorporate the phallus into the metaphor, I'd say this: the ghosts and demons in catabasis are typically casualties of less heroic journeys into the underworld, or those who died long ago and are now bitter spectres of their former selves. They're inversions of the hero, and reflections of what the hero could become if they stray from the path of heroism. So the snake is arguably an anti-example: everything Glimmer shouldn't be to survive her adulthood. Solitary, aggressive, powerful, aimlessly defending the static memory of her mother. You could map some phallic symbolism onto that, if you wanted.

I legit had to check that SMG didn't make rhis post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
My only 'thesis' was that animators are hugely thirsty and love putting in poo poo like this in their work.

Like Bounce House Princess on Adventure Time.

For kids, it's just a cute moment with a new character, but also the type of thing you would come back to as an adult and have your mind blown.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
Animators putting adult humor and or references in a kids cartoon is really common, y'all.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I don't think there's anything thirsty about it, really. Like, in this particular case none of the metaphor is about sex in a direct way. It's more about birth and growing up. Womb/yoni symbolism is really, really common for that kind of thing.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Glimmer's biggest change isn't her new look, or her new responsibilities--it's that instead of confusing and distracting opponents with sparkles, she is burning through metal with straight-up death rays. :black101:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

That is just outstanding.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
God drat i'm glad Scorpia finally woke up.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

God drat i'm glad Scorpia finally woke up.

Her realizing shadowweaver was in bright moon was like a lightbulb going off when she realized what made Catra start spiraling out of control.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

So, they never actually said it, but it was pretty strongly implied that Glimmer let Double Trouble out and hired him to sow chaos in the Fright Zone, right? That's why he just up and revealed what happened to Entrapta. I'm not just imagining this?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Moon Slayer posted:

So, they never actually said it, but it was pretty strongly implied that Glimmer let Double Trouble out and hired him to sow chaos in the Fright Zone, right? That's why he just up and revealed what happened to Entrapta. I'm not just imagining this?

Yes, it was a little subtle because I don't think Glimmer said it outright.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Moon Slayer posted:

Yeah, they spelled it out when they signalled Glimmer to give her the go-ahead.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Ok, good, I was worried I was making up conspiracy theories, albeit really cool ones.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Double Trouble also explicitly said that is what happened.

Do we know what the heart of eternia does? It seems like "blow up the universe" but that doesn't really make sense.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Seems like it's a doomsday weapon that eliminates the enemies of the First Ones i.e. probably the entire galaxy around Etheria, or something like that. It's a bit vague but there's explicit reference made to it destroying all the stars and planets in the sky.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Why not? Ancient lost civilization weapons are always like that. The Heart of Eternia is just a Halo.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Why not? Ancient lost civilization weapons are always like that. The Heart of Eternia is just a Halo.

Doesn't Mara explicitly say "entire worlds" when talking about the power of the Heart?

And I can't be the only one who assumes Adora will become a Magical Etheria She Ra with a completely different costume and powers. That's the whole point of Razz and her non linear perspectives about Etheria always had a She Ra, right?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Shbobdb posted:

Double Trouble also explicitly said that is what happened.

Do we know what the heart of eternia does? It seems like "blow up the universe" but that doesn't really make sense.

I got the impression that it was a very powerful weapon that could annihilate entire planets, but could only be aimed by someone with the She-Ra sword (which the First Ones created for exactly that purpose). I also got the impression that something was wrong with the device and at this point, using it would cause Etheria to pop like an overfull balloon. I don't think it was broken at the time Mara chose to shut it down because her objection seemed more "I don't want to kill other people" than "I don't want to destroy this planet specifically."

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, the First Ones basically turned Eternia into a Death Star with a genocidal AI. It's bad news because it's designed to eliminate anything that isn't a First One planet, and oh look whoops the First Ones are extinct.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

CuwiKhons posted:

I got the impression that it was a very powerful weapon that could annihilate entire planets, but could only be aimed by someone with the She-Ra sword (which the First Ones created for exactly that purpose). I also got the impression that something was wrong with the device and at this point, using it would cause Etheria to pop like an overfull balloon. I don't think it was broken at the time Mara chose to shut it down because her objection seemed more "I don't want to kill other people" than "I don't want to destroy this planet specifically."

I don't think She-Ra was even meant to aim it, she was just the automated conduit. The programming in the sword was supposed to allow the First Ones to force She-Ra to fire off the weapon at a target of their choosing, and even though the First Ones are gone Light Hope's still aiming the weapon per their design. That's why Adora is getting all program-y and overrun with circuitboard patterns when it's about to fire.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Android Blues posted:

I don't think She-Ra was even meant to aim it, she was just the automated conduit. The programming in the sword was supposed to allow the First Ones to force She-Ra to fire off the weapon at a target of their choosing, and even though the First Ones are gone Light Hope's still aiming the weapon per their design. That's why Adora is getting all program-y and overrun with circuitboard patterns when it's about to fire.

I think we might both right. The She-Ra sword is required to aim it but the person who is She-Ra is just the conduit. I recall either Light Hope or Mara or maybe it was Razz mentioning that the First Ones created the sword to focus the power of She-Ra because otherwise they were unable to control it. Presumably She-Ra would always be the conduit even without the sword but the sword is necessary for more precise aiming.

Edit - I just realized this is what you said, sorry.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Creepy thing about Horde Prime according to the character designer. Those extra eyes are on purpose, and not his.

Rae Geige posted:

One of the concepts behind Prime is that he upgrades himself with his clones. They're stock to him. He wants them all to be uniform by his standard, but he wants a little "extra" for himself to establish his superiority, his interesting-ness above them. So if he wants some extra eyes purely for the aesthetic, some clone(s) are going to give up a piece.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

God drat that was a good season.

For a while I was upset at the severe lack of Entrapta, but Double Trouble made up for that and almost supplanted her as my favorite character by the end. Of course she came back in strong and secured her place at the top once more but DT's final scene was amazing too.

It was nice seeing things really come together in a big exciting way after the last couple setup seasons, and it managed to simultaneously set up the next part of the story. Great stuff all around I can't wait to see what's next.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

God drat that was a good season.

For a while I was upset at the severe lack of Entrapta, but Double Trouble made up for that and almost supplanted her as my favorite character by the end. Of course she came back in strong and secured her place at the top once more but DT's final scene was amazing too.

It was nice seeing things really come together in a big exciting way after the last couple setup seasons, and it managed to simultaneously set up the next part of the story. Great stuff all around I can't wait to see what's next.

Agreed. S2 and S3 felt so uneven that I almost thought the show had lost its spark. They were playing the long game, though, because they cashed so many of those dramatic chips in this season, and had some really complex, thrilling, moving scenes. I teared up several times!

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

pentyne posted:

Doesn't Mara explicitly say "entire worlds" when talking about the power of the Heart?

Ya, it could blow up entire worlds when it got put in the pocket dimensions. Where it then sat getting overcharged and deteriorating for a thousand years. I am guessing it'd probably blow up the galaxy and blow itself up at the same time.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, the First Ones basically turned Eternia into a Death Star with a genocidal AI. It's bad news because it's designed to eliminate anything that isn't a First One planet, and oh look whoops the First Ones are extinct.

That was my take but because I watch while I work it's easy for me to miss quick lines of dialogue where X explicitly does Y.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

After the final episode, it strikes me as a little weird that Hordak fell in love with someone who has moving hair.

Shbobdb posted:

That was my take but because I watch while I work it's easy for me to miss quick lines of dialogue where X explicitly does Y.

I missed Hordak blushing on first watch.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

After the final episode, it strikes me as a little weird that Hordak fell in love with someone who has moving hair.

He fell in love with the only person who was ever nice to him in his whole life who wasn't working some angle.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Horde Prime may not have always looked like that. I got the impression he's constantly 'updating' himself. It's also not like Entrapta behaves like Horde Prime in any way.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I missed Hordak blushing on first watch.

I still haven't seen him beyond screen grabs
Which episode is it?

Also given how emo he is going for daddy makes sense

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

ElBrak posted:

He fell in love with the only person who was ever nice to him in his whole life who wasn't working some angle.

And who was utterly, utterly not intimidated by him. There was a battle of wills and Hordak lost, which had to have been novel.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Moon Slayer posted:

While I'm pretty sure this is what happened, I don't think this is the specific sequence of events. Specifically, the thing about joining the winning side leads me to believe that Glimmer didn't ask DT to switch, DT offered to do so. Which seems like a minor point, but I think it matters because Glimmer asking the spy to become a double agent feels like a different thing from a spy offering to flip for presumably self-serving reasons and Glimmer accepting.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
My thoughts on Season 4 in no particular order:

-I was happy to see Netossa and Spinnerella get a little more to do, even if was mostly just battlefield banter in one episode.  They have been 100% loyal to the Princess Alliance since the beginning and I think it’s sucked that they’ve had to take a backseat to Perfuma/Mermista/Frosta.  Also, their powers are crazy useful and they are a cute couple so they should be showcased more.

-Speaking of the other princesses, after the Valley of the Lost episode I was expecting each of the (3 main) princesses to get an episode featuring them again and giving them a mini-arc like Perfuma but I guess not.  I don’t really care much about Frosta (aka Ice-Toph) but the end of episode 7 would have packed more of a punch if we had gotten a re-introduction to Salineas.
And I like the character of Huntara but I’m glad they jettisoned her back to the Crimson Waste – there was already enough going on this season.

-I loved seeing much more Swift Wind, and him being treated like a character and not just as convenient transportation/connection to She-Ra.

-I’m a sucker for a good Ancient History Backstory episode so I Loved episode 9, “Hero”.  Getting more of the story of Mara and what happened to her was awesome.  It made my heart break for Razz, and totally explains the Mara/Adora confusion we had already seen from her.  Also, Hell Yeah at getting to see Mara’s transformation sequence.

-I love Bow but I find Sea Hawk to be very grating so I didn’t care for the Boys Night Out adventure episode, except where it served to bring in the girls for a rescue.

-I loved the mer-mystery episode and I really liked how the group used logic and the process of elimination to figure out who the mole was, especially since they didn’t even know they were dealing with a shape-shifter at the time. I’m glad Flutterina was really Double Trouble in disguise because Flutterina was very annoying but DT is nothing but campy fun.  I wish they had kept it more of a secret to the audience though; even though it's not hard to figure out (Hint: the mole is the most recent person to join the alliance) I think the episode would have been better if we weren’t in on who the mole was at first.

-I liked Catra continuing her villainy and I liked her basically slapping Hordak around and keeping him in line.  It was nice to see all her support peel off as she continued to poo poo all over people and I was getting a lot of Azula vibes in her character arc, especially as she started to fall apart when she realized Scorpia had abandoned her.  Oh, and for anyone that complained about not knowing just how high the stakes are or if the Horde is even a threat it was nuts to see the fights/battles/losses get really ramped up and specific this season.

-Scorpia is still the best princess. I love the boundless optimism of her character and it was nice seeing/hearing the backstory of her family and see her reconnect with the Black Garnet.

-Lol at Beast island being WORSE than everyone thought and being a First Ones tech dumping ground.  Realizing that the island was steeped with First Ones tech and that's where Entrapta was exiled to was a great moment to realize.

So it looks like there is one more 13-episode season mapped out and the end of this season set up some exciting stuff for the last season.
Here is what I'm wondering:  What's up with the First Ones?  Now we know they were a group of explorers and settlers turned conquering weapon makers.  Mara said things started out well then turned bad. Are they still around?  Are the First Ones a powerful force in the universe like Horde Prime?  Are they interested in getting their long, lost super-weapon back?

Razz already stressed that She-Ra wasn't the sword but the protective spirit of Etheria so I predict that there will be a moment when Adora reclaims the She-Ra power without needing (or reforging?) the sword.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

MechaCrash posted:

While I'm pretty sure this is what happened, I don't think this is the specific sequence of events. Specifically, the thing about joining the winning side leads me to believe that Glimmer didn't ask DT to switch, DT offered to do so. Which seems like a minor point, but I think it matters because Glimmer asking the spy to become a double agent feels like a different thing from a spy offering to flip for presumably self-serving reasons and Glimmer accepting.

I'd go for it if I had them under a working truth spell.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I assumed Glimmer just paid them.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Moon Slayer posted:

I'm sure she did but as DT said when talking to Catra, learning about the super weapon was the turning point. No reason to stick with the losing side when the other has the power to utterly destroy them.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Moon Slayer posted:

They kept talking about money, but what even is their currency and who issues it. He'll have we ever seen a store or any sort of commerce. Perhaps I am overthinking this children's show.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

socialsecurity posted:

They kept talking about money, but what even is their currency and who issues it. He'll have we ever seen a store or any sort of commerce. Perhaps I am overthinking this children's show.
Based on my observations of the show, people are actually paid with small bags. So presumably Entrapta is loaded.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Yeah DT's money focus felt super off. Half the world are magical monarchies, and half the world is military dictatorships. Money???? Where???

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Was there a real Flutterina that DT was copying, or was she a character they invented solely for the purposes of being a mole?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I hope that we haven't seen the last of the idiot squad, they're my favorite side characters in the show, but if their ending is the three of them riding off into the sunset into a peaceful life, it works for me too.