Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Its a gallery shooter, set to a soundtrack.

Its dope af. Not like we've not been saying this for a week :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Ars Technica are somewhat mixed on it but still come down on the side of recommending it in the end.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

NRVNQSR posted:

Ars Technica are somewhat mixed on it but still come down on the side of recommending it in the end.

Well that's not telling the whole story... they're claiming it is out of sync with no calibration option, and they say it is dropping frames on the Quest. The frame drops especially feel like a serious issue if true.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

Well that's not telling the whole story... they're claiming it is out of sync with no calibration option, and they say it is dropping frames on the Quest. The frame drops especially feel like a serious issue if true.

That's why I linked the full review. I'm with you that the issues the reviewer describes seem serious, but he's clear that in spite of them he's still very up on it and would recommend it to people. :shrug:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Art style of Pistol Whip owns and it looks even better in motion than it does in screenshots.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Deathlove posted:

Just bought SynthRiders, anyone have any thoughts? I like The Genre, and grow impatient for Audica in my Quest.
Tried it last night, it's good! Obviously similar to Beat Saber, but different enough to be interesting. I like how it feels very dance-y, especially with the line sections. I think I like the music more than Beat Saber's OST1 tracks, at least.

Could use some quality of life improvements though. The transition between screens is bad, it takes too long and isn't smooth. Also there's no grade at the end of each track, just a point total, which makes it hard to know how well or poorly you did.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
If you haven't taken a look, I've written some blog posts about constellation tracking for Quest + Rift S

https://developer.oculus.com/blog/increasing-fidelity-with-constellation-tracked-controllers/
https://developer.oculus.com/blog/tracking-technology-explained-led-matching/

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Payday 2 is free to play until Monday, if you haven't played it before its honestly one of the best VR games by a mile, really, check it out. The VR support is LEGIT.

Very interesting articles! Nice work.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Some people on the Oculus store are complaining about FOV issues, anyone who has tried it can comment on it?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

NRVNQSR posted:

This right here seals it, Dudes a dope.

quote:

Unfortunately, in my week of pre-release testing, I've struggled to match my shooting rhythm with any of the ten included songs on both a Valve Index and an Oculus Quest. I can't put my finger on what's wrong with my timing.

If you can't figure it out, you're tone deaf.

And they go on about "WHY ARE WE HERE?!"

Uh. Its movie posters you idiot. Maybe its "movie scenes"? Ya know, Follow the art direction bud.

Sorry but this whole "article" has tons of garbage in it that feels really whine city. Its not perfect, without a doubt. But come on. Cant figure out the beat of a song? really?

EDIT: Booted up the quest version for shits. Frame Rate seemed ok to me? The gun customization not saving IS a bug fwiw. Storage something. Patch coming.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 7, 2019

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Can confirm, Pistol Whip whips.

Definitely feels a bit like both Superhot and Beat Saber despite playing nothing like either. Its a half decent workout with all the ducking and weaving too.

edit: Pretty sure the game does rank you at the end of each level, unless there's another explanation as to why my score counter always has a C at the end?

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 7, 2019

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Hellsau posted:

"I'm finally about to get my revenge against the man who murdered my child! Oh hello, I'm Tom Smith - would you like to murder my child's murderer? I would do it but uh....oh you're trespassing, yeah that's it. You're trespassing and if you want to make it right, you'll murder this man who I have very good reason to want to kill and you have just met!"

KillHour posted:

~~Videogame Writing~~

Roughly this. Videogame writing mostly just spoonfeeds people the truth even if its a poo poo way to write it.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Mr Phillby posted:

Can confirm, Pistol Whip whips.

Definitely feels a bit like both Superhot and Beat Saber despite playing nothing like either. Its a half decent workout with all the ducking and weaving too.

edit: Pretty sure the game does rank you at the end of each level, unless there's another explanation as to why my score counter always has a C at the end?

The C is your rank

Top #1s have been S or w/e

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
thought so, cool.

I read the Ars Technica article and I can't speak to the technical issues myself, works faultlessly for me on Rift S, running the Steam version, steam VR actually booted for the first ever time so I had two virtual living rooms going on in the background even. I do agree with some points though, I played through the first few stages on Easy and I had no Idea there was even a timing element to the gameplay at all (hence the C ranks lol). That could do with some tutorializing at the very least.

Its definitely unfair to describe the game as 'early access' though, its pretty standard content wise for an indie VR title,post release content really only sweetens the deal for me.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Mr Phillby posted:

thought so, cool.

I read the Ars Technica article and I can't speak to the technical issues myself, works faultlessly for me on Rift S, running the Steam version, steam VR actually booted for the first ever time so I had two virtual living rooms going on in the background even. I do agree with some points though, I played through the first few stages on Easy and I had no Idea there was even a timing element to the gameplay at all (hence the C ranks lol). That could do with some tutorializing at the very least.

Its definitely unfair to describe the game as 'early access' though, its pretty standard content wise for an indie VR title,post release content really only sweetens the deal for me.

Shoot to the literal beat of 1/8th notes. (Pretty sure its 1/8ths atm).

Thats it. Keep to the beat. Helps knowing the songs, which is what is probably throwing a lot of people off.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

EbolaIvory posted:

Shoot to the literal beat of 1/8th notes. (Pretty sure its 1/8ths atm).

Thats it. Keep to the beat. Helps knowing the songs, which is what is probably throwing a lot of people off.
its not a case of being thrown off its a case of literally not being aware I should be timing my shots at all. I was having the time of my life doing John Wick poo poo without worrying about the score anyway so I don't think its exactly a fatal flaw.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Mr Phillby posted:

its not a case of being thrown off its a case of literally not being aware I should be timing my shots at all. I was having the time of my life doing John Wick poo poo without worrying about the score anyway so I don't think its exactly a fatal flaw.

Once you're no longer diving for your life every moment, you'll start dancing around and shooting to the beat. I promise. <3

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Has anyone picked it up on Quest yet? How's the performance?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

rafikki posted:

Has anyone picked it up on Quest yet? How's the performance?

EbolaIvory posted:

EDIT: Booted up the quest version for shits. Frame Rate seemed ok to me? The gun customization not saving IS a bug fwiw. Storage something. Patch coming.

Its not the PCVR you'd be used to if you played both, But if you're a full time quest user, its fine.

Theres def a few spots where things "dipped" but it was never where I was disturbed playing, nor was it bad enough to miss a shot, or get hit while playing.

So, Pretty good. Plays as well as other crap does to me.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Just did a few stages of Pistol Whip and my review is as follows:

HMD: Valve Index
Computer Specs: V. Beefy

Review: It's good. You should get it if you like beat saber and getting some cardio while having fun.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Is Pistol Whip crossbuy on Oculus?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Pistol Whip is amazing and like Audica is another game thats seriously better on the Pimax, or I'm assuming Indexa as well.

I played for 50 mins just now and I'm drenched

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/505262109?t=00h28m04s - I can't wait to actually be good at this game because like 30 second in here I already feel like fuckin john wick

hard mode is no joke though (I'm only on normal in that point of the video), like all rhythm games I wish there was a level between medium and hard

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 7, 2019

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
This is very loving awesome.

Are you able to give us your view on how close these inside out systems are to the Constellation system? (I assume not but it's always worth asking right..)

Good to have an Oculus (Facebook?) dev in the thread.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Enos Cabell posted:

Is Pistol Whip crossbuy on Oculus?

Yes

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Excellent! Thanks

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

EbolaIvory posted:

Sorry but this whole "article" has tons of garbage in it that feels really whine city. Its not perfect, without a doubt. But come on. Cant figure out the beat of a song? really?
There's even an option to make the controllers vibrate to the beat, I put it at 0.4 to help with quiet sections

The Walrus posted:

I played for 50 mins just now and I'm drenched
:same:

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness
I think... I'm actually going to return the index. I dunno. The extra field of view, deeper contrast and richer colors are nice, but I just can't get past the controllers not feeling good, especially in legacy titles (where they're treated like vive wands instead of their closest equivalent, the touch controllers) or games with a lot of gripping action. The experience of using steamvr is pretty bad compared to oculus dash, too. The rift s does come with a bunch of its own compromises, but after using both, they each feel pretty first gen in different ways. Except one is a lot cheaper and has controllers I like a lot more.

It'll take something pretty phenomenal to pull me away from the oculus system and touch controllers at this point. Probably whatever oculus does next, assuming there's a significant hardware upgrade and not just a side grade like the cv1 to rift s mostly was.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
SteamVR is as janky as Oculus Dash and messes up just as often, but Oculus Dash has some features that are great. It's a huge bummer using ALVR and basically just having to ignore the desktop feature of SteamVR.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
And here I am playing VR far more since I got the Index, I think the thing is fantastic.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Try the palm raisers for the Index controllers. They've helped several people in the thread who first found them uncomfortable.

Also SteamVR apparently has legacy settings that are literally "pretend to be controller X"

Should be SteamVR-> Devices -> Controller Settings -> Choose Game -> Edit Legacy Actions -> Pretend to be this Controller.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Try the palm raisers for the Index controllers. They've helped several people in the thread who first found them uncomfortable.
What are these?

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also SteamVR apparently has legacy settings that are literally "pretend to be controller X"

Should be SteamVR-> Devices -> Controller Settings -> Choose Game -> Edit Legacy Actions -> Pretend to be this Controller.

I tried the change device thing and it deactivated the thumbstick, and made the lovely trackpad the main. Is there a way to change that?

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

El Grillo posted:

This is very loving awesome.

Are you able to give us your view on how close these inside out systems are to the Constellation system? (I assume not but it's always worth asking right..)

Good to have an Oculus (Facebook?) dev in the thread.

Are you talking about performance or general algorithmic approach?

WaterIsPoison fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 8, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Okay, I'm off work, finally got to play a couple levels of Pistol Whip, and.... yep. It absolutely, 100%, really whips the llama's rear end.

loving buy this.

I was already down to play this just on being a rail shooter with cool artsy graphics, but the "shoot to the beat" rez / beat saber takes it and elevates it from good to great.

I was like, wait, Cloudhead Games, where do I know that name? Duh, call of the starseed!! That explains why this plays so well. These guys have extensive experience in VR and know what they're doing.

And like, man, so many of the things I was planning on doing in my shooter project, they already nailed:

- Focus on SINGLE PISTOL combat. You can dual-wield, but the default is a single pistol. I think this is honestly genius and something I was planning on focusing on, and something I think H3 and Payday and other shooters miss out on. Yes, dual wielding feels great. Yes, holding a shotgun in two hands feels good. And beefy shotguns or automatic guns feel good. But just really simplifying it and focusing on single pistol in both hands for accuracy and simplicity just... feels so very right.

- Enemies shoot very slow moving projectiles, Player shoots hitscan. This is again something I was planning on doing, a hybrid of superhot style enemy attacks that you can dodge, but player attacks being instant unlike in superhot so it feels more responsive and action packed. Who cares about realism?

- Very clear enemy attack indicators. I was planning on copying the Time Crisis style circle popups, but Pistol Whip goes even further and just fully shows you a ray trace of any incoming bullet fire, so you're VERY aware of any bullets headed your way, and how or where you'll need to move to dodge them. This is something Crisis Vrigade fucks up badly. They show you a hitscan ray AFTER you get hit, so you know where it came from, but there's zero indication of how visible you are or whether you'll be shot ahead of time, until its too late. That's a frustrating experience.

- No locomotion to worry about, just stand still but let the "rail" experience tug you along. This takes away all the stress and pressure of games like Payday and H3 and makes it just a fun time arcade ride.

And in general the pulsing music feels so very good, I'm basically doing a dance with my gun and firing as I go, which is something I've always wanted a game to pull off, but no flat-screen game to my knowledge has come close, other than maybe like, AudioSurf? But its not a shooter. This IS. It just feels so very right. And the graphics pulsing with the music and unfolding and changing colors in a very Rez way is soothing and beautiful.

You feel like an anime protagonist.

10/10 would John Wick again

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Happyimp posted:

I tried the change device thing and it deactivated the thumbstick, and made the lovely trackpad the main. Is there a way to change that?

Edit the input bindings.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

The Big Bad Worf posted:

I think... I'm actually going to return the index. I dunno. The extra field of view, deeper contrast and richer colors are nice, but I just can't get past the controllers not feeling good, especially in legacy titles (where they're treated like vive wands instead of their closest equivalent, the touch controllers) or games with a lot of gripping action. The experience of using steamvr is pretty bad compared to oculus dash, too. The rift s does come with a bunch of its own compromises, but after using both, they each feel pretty first gen in different ways. Except one is a lot cheaper and has controllers I like a lot more.

It'll take something pretty phenomenal to pull me away from the oculus system and touch controllers at this point. Probably whatever oculus does next, assuming there's a significant hardware upgrade and not just a side grade like the cv1 to rift s mostly was.

I came close to returning it, but palm boosters made the controllers tolerable, and the screen/sound is so goddamn nice for the sim genres I'm into that I stuck it out.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/706629848/valve-index-controllers-grip-boosters

I agree that the Touch controllers are far better gaming devices. The Index grip gimmick doesn't matter in games beyond "look at my fingers!" and flipping people off, and the tradeoffs are annoying. Funny enough, Index is much worse imo for throwing stuff because the "I can let go; it's strapped to my hand!" is hampered by "but the controller will still shift around annoyingly when I throw, and could fly off my hand if I really fling something in Echo Arena." If I could Frankenstein together the Index headset and Touch controllers, I'd be a much happier camper.

But yeah, the headset quality itself is so nice that I put up with the dumbass gimmick controllers.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Edit the input bindings.

I mean literally disabled my thumbstick last time. I could not give it any bindings. I guess I will try again, when I get home, to see if it has changed.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

Hellsau posted:

SteamVR is as janky as Oculus Dash and messes up just as often, but Oculus Dash has some features that are great. It's a huge bummer using ALVR and basically just having to ignore the desktop feature of SteamVR.

I do get some jank with the dash software sometimes. It'll say no audio detected and be piping it through the headset just fine regardless, and others it'll say it's working fine and I have no audio. Restarts fix it in both cases and it's generally a one time per session problem. Otherwise, the software keyboard feels great and it's pretty effortless to switch between whatever I'm doing in VR and using my computer (with the virtual keyboard or at my desk with the actual keyboard), which is surprisingly more important to me than I thought. It's nice to just respond to a message or look something up without having to use the crappy steamvr desktop app that's built in, take off my headset, or close the game and open a separate app.

I've also got this weird pattern that looks like dithering or dust under the lens, but it's more prominent with certain colors (mostly red). It's still present and visible in any color that engages the red sub pixels. The wider field of view does let me see more of the game and feels less like looking through binoculars, but the red sub pixel thing takes me out of the game every time. I actually contacted steam support on this one and was told it was a known characteristic of the display. They said it shouldn't be enough to bother me and offered an rma, with the caveat that every hmd will have this to some degree, since it's related to how the panels are put together. It didn't give me a good point of reference to determine if mine was exceptionally bad or if I'm just sensitive to it.

The analog sticks feel kinda cheap even without the angle issue I'd mentioned before.

The rift s isn't perfect either, I get audio popping on my main pc. Ironically, my lowest spec pc that's barely VR ready doesn't have this issue, but it can also barely run games more complex than beat Saber.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Happyimp posted:

I mean literally disabled my thumbstick last time. I could not give it any bindings. I guess I will try again, when I get home, to see if it has changed.

I'm messing with the SteamVR settings to see for myself, and it looks like it should be merging the inputs for both trackpad and thumbstick (or at least it does in the current version of SteamVR). Did you actually try using them in-game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm messing with the SteamVR settings to see for myself, and it looks like it should be merging the inputs for both trackpad and thumbstick (or at least it does in the current version of SteamVR). Did you actually try using them in-game?

I did over a month ago. It's only been fallout vr that has been giving me analog problems. I will be very happy if it works now. I actually enjoy just walking around in fallout, but I need to use those menus.