Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

TheHan posted:

I don't think Eren is necessarily frothing mad. Super angry at the world sure, but he's already seen himself do this and probably seen how it plays out, and it doesn't look like he gets to the finish line. The way Armin and Mikasa talk about him changing it's like the fact that he hasn't been incredibly passionate and angry is out of the norm.
Even if he's not "frothing" mad, he's angry enough to kill everyone.

He also up and disappeared x months ago and since they found him, he's committed war crimes, basically started a global war on Paradis and been a complete rear end in a top hat when they interact. They're not sure about him anymore, regardless of knowing whose side he's on.

Also, are people even certain that Armin and Mikasa would be opposed to this global genocide plan? We've only glimpsed their interactions with the outside world and their overall views probably aren't much more favorable than Eren's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

TheHan posted:

I don't think Eren is necessarily frothing mad. Super angry at the world sure, but he's already seen himself do this and probably seen how it plays out, and it doesn't look like he gets to the finish line. The way Armin and Mikasa talk about him changing it's like the fact that he hasn't been incredibly passionate and angry is out of the norm.

But he continues having passionate outbursts; that's not what they mean. Even how morose he'd be at times post-basement was in line with how he's always behaved in general (getting lost in his own thoughts).

What they feel are changes are two things:

1) He's always been incredibly righteous, so they think it's very out of character for him to be willing to sacrifice innocents. They're utterly aghast.
2) He's always relied on them and the rest of the squad, implicitly counting on his friends even when single-mindedly charging ahead, and his greatest fear was isolation. So how come he's shouldering everything on his own, and pushing them away?

Their wishful thinking had thus been that it must be some kind of act, and that there must be a reason - circumstances forcing him to behave like this, for their sake. At least, that's what the normally analytical Armin wholeheartedly believed in, but as Eren strides on, as it becomes clear that this is it for real, Mikasa's ongoing doubts starts coalescing into the realization that neither was there pretense nor did he change, but that perhaps they just never truly understood him. Ever since they were children, they only ever saw the Eren they wanted to see. An Eren that for all his flaws they could trust and admire.

So I feel this is all build up to the last memory shard: when Historia tells him that even if the whole world stands against him, she'll be on his side.

ED: Also frames Eren's latest exchange with Mikasa as one final, failed attempt to reach out, that only just now she's understanding for what it was.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Nov 8, 2019

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

iamsosmrt posted:

He also up and disappeared x months ago and since they found him, he's committed war crimes, basically started a global war on Paradis and been a complete rear end in a top hat when they interact. They're not sure about him anymore, regardless of knowing whose side he's on.

Also, are people even certain that Armin and Mikasa would be opposed to this global genocide plan? We've only glimpsed their interactions with the outside world and their overall views probably aren't much more favorable than Eren's.

Admin and Mikasa would never go for that. They would prefer to try and survive keeping the great rumble as a deterrent weapon, and try to work diplomatically over time to make the world see they are not monsters. That's what they thought Eren was going for when he started the rumble

But yeah, Eren is not crazy, he is just very very angry. And situation is really: either they keep trying to survive in this world that wants them dead, while working to change their perception, which is what someone sensible like Armin would choose; or they just genocide themselves, like someone crazy with self hate like Zeke would choose; or they strike back and kill them first, which is what someone angry like Eren would choose. Is what he wants to do since the very beginning

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

im glad eren chose the kill 'em all route because it means we have lots of horrifying titan imagery ahead and isayama is really good at that

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

Admin and Mikasa would never go for that. They would prefer to try and survive keeping the great rumble as a deterrent weapon, and try to work diplomatically over time to make the world see they are not monsters. That's what they thought Eren was going for when he started the rumble

But yeah, Eren is not crazy, he is just very very angry. And situation is really: either they keep trying to survive in this world that wants them dead, while working to change their perception, which is what someone sensible like Armin would choose; or they just genocide themselves, like someone crazy with self hate like Zeke would choose; or they strike back and kill them first, which is what someone angry like Eren would choose. Is what he wants to do since the very beginning

I think you're right about their ideals and would they would attempt to do, but Armin's also very analytical enough to potentially see that even as deterrents, the titans won't be effective for long. That world is rapidly developing technologically and it's really only a matter of time before the Paradisians are wiped from the earth, if not from hatred and fear, then also for their precious resources.

Frankly, I'm not even sure there is a good way out of this without one side getting wiped outside of a crazy deus ex machina to prevent the horror as well as instill faith and love in the global society in their fellow man. I suppose it's possible that something like the spine monster that took Ymir could incarnate into a anthropomorphic god, but who knows.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
If Eren really wanted to kill everyone outside the walls, both Eldian and non-Eldian, why not just transform every Eldian outside the walls into colossal titans? I mean I guess it would take an eternity to build them all out of sand?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

what if he just destroys civilization

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Super Rad posted:

If Eren really wanted to kill everyone outside the walls, both Eldian and non-Eldian, why not just transform every Eldian outside the walls into colossal titans? I mean I guess it would take an eternity to build them all out of sand?

I don't think he can unless they've been given spinal fluid.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

How did Connie's village transform? Did they get secretly fed fluid too?

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
I don't think it's ever specifically addressed, but it's easy enough to drop something in the well for a few days until everyone's drank some.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

iamsosmrt posted:

The rest of the world (or at least marley) basically declared war on paradis before eren retaliated. Also marley had massacred tons of eldians on paradis before this declaration as a pre-emptive strike with no provocation from paradis.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Kild posted:

How did Connie's village transform? Did they get secretly fed fluid too?
zeke talked about his spinal fluid being employed in some sort of spray as a test iirc

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

I don't think it's ever specifically addressed, but it's easy enough to drop something in the well for a few days until everyone's drank some.

They were hit with a gas attack of Zeke juice if I remember right.

Conspiratiorist posted:

But he continues having passionate outbursts; that's not what they mean. Even how morose he'd be at times post-basement was in line with how he's always behaved in general (getting lost in his own thoughts).

Has Eren done any big outbursts post time skip? I’m thinking of moments like him being so bad at suppressing his emotions that he tried to kill Reiner with only stumps vs him calmly sitting down with him right before killing all those civilians. He didn’t even get fired up and defend the pickpocket kid.

But I do think Armin and/or Mikasa are under the impression he’s always been this way, just by Eren’s design.
If he really is going for the Zero Requiem it makes sense to put them in a place where they feel like he’s always been beyond hope.

iamsosmrt posted:

I don’t think they’re down with global genocide because they’re both way more well-adjusted than Eren and also writing a story where all your heroes are down with global genocide would be insane.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

iamsosmrt posted:

I don't think he can unless they've been given spinal fluid.

That could definitely be the case, I guess I just had always imagined that King Fritz was able to create the walls spontaneously but he could have had them all injected before hand, even if it sounds like an insane task.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

TheHan posted:

Has Eren done any big outbursts post time skip? I’m thinking of moments like him being so bad at suppressing his emotions that he tried to kill Reiner with only stumps vs him calmly sitting down with him right before killing all those civilians. He didn’t even get fired up and defend the pickpocket kid.

In a flashback he rejected Zeke's proposal (communicated through Lady Azumbito) of having Historia and her children inherit the Beast Titan, then in the present went off on Hange while detained, and later on we had his scene with Armin and Mikasa at the restaurant.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

TheHan posted:

I don’t think they’re down with global genocide because they’re both way more well-adjusted than Eren and also writing a story where all your heroes are down with global genocide would be insane.

Armin I'll agree, but Mikasa is not well adjusted. Maybe relatively speaking only in the strictest sense compared to Eren.

Anyway, I'm not saying they'd be advocating for global genocide, but I'm unclear they'd be impassioned against it either. Have they expressed excitement over the existence of a greater world outside of Paradis outside of the little bits in the latest chapter? They grew up assuming the human race was already eradicated outside of their walls and once they learned other people existed, it turned out those people despise them and caused the deaths of their loved ones.

I could see their endgame story being less about saving the world and more about saving what's left of Eren's humanity.

comedyblissoption posted:

The rest of the world (or at least marley) basically declared war on paradis before eren retaliated. Also marley had massacred tons of eldians on paradis before this declaration as a pre-emptive strike with no provocation from paradis.

It's not about having a blow by blow call of who literally started what first, or what justifications were in place. It's about their childhood friend enacting extreme and catastrophic measures, much of which they likely didn't think he'd be morally capable of before. And to that point, I'm saying that they no longer have a solid idea of where his mind is at and what his limits are. They've been literally guessing for the entire arc.

iamsosmrt fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 8, 2019

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
I thought Zeke had infiltrated the town as a “doctor” and injected the people directly for some reason, I don’t remember the gas attack thing?

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Tenkaris posted:

I thought Zeke had infiltrated the town as a “doctor” and injected the people directly for some reason, I don’t remember the gas attack thing?

He and a marleyan squad of soldiers infiltrated the island and deployed canisters on the outskirts of the village. This was explained around the time of the dosed wine reveal.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Turin Turambar posted:

In a way it makes sense it got worst. At first he was very angry... at big brainless zombies. Understanding that some of the most damaging big brainless zombies weren't brainless but people, who had, you know *a choice* to not do bad stuff, makes it worse. Understanding later than there are other countries, but they all hate their guts intensely and would be ok with a total genocide of their people, also made it worse.
And that those specific humans thst hate him and everyone he loves have been explicitly titanizing his people into mindless wanderers who eventually devoured his mother and destroyed his home, not only causing him immense grief and suffering but doubly so when he realizes he's been basically murdering helpless, innocent victims of the marleyan regime the whole time

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Whether it’s Dina Fritz or some alcohol-drinking Muslim guy, there will always be someone on hand to cockblock Mikasa.

Edit: and why can Mikasa hear something broadcasted to Children of Ymir? I thought the Ackermans were "Different."

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 8, 2019

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Whether it’s Dina Fritz or some alcohol-drinking Muslim guy, there will always be someone on hand to cockblock Mikasa.

Edit: and why can Mikasa hear something broadcasted to Children of Ymir? I thought the Ackermans were "Different."

I think she is half Ackerman, half regular eldian

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Elias_Maluco posted:

I think she is half Ackerman, half regular eldian

Well she's half Ackerman and half Azumabito which makes that a bit unclear, but even if she were full Ackerman it was stated by Eren that Ackermans get their abilities through a connection to the paths so maybe that's all it takes for Eren to be able to reach out to them.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Super Rad posted:

Well she's half Ackerman and half Azumabito which makes that a bit unclear, but even if she were full Ackerman it was stated by Eren that Ackermans get their abilities through a connection to the paths so maybe that's all it takes for Eren to be able to reach out to them.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Actually, I was under the impression that the Ackermans were connected to the Azumabito somehow, that it was the same side of her ancestry

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Super Rad posted:

I thought her dad was a local, which would make her roughly 25/25/50% Ack/Az/Eldian.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
She's an Ackerman through at least one of her grandparents on her dad's side. She might even be directly related to Levi and Kenny through Kenny's grandfather. The old coot didn't seem to care about any of his children or grandchildren by the time he died.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Kild posted:

what if he just destroys civilization

The next three years of the manga will be the entire planet's 1940-style military fighting an army of giant strong dudes.

Mikasa stops Eren at the climax and he becomes a giant flower for some reason.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Thoren posted:

This manga has enough magic plants that I won't count that out.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

All I can ask is this: please, please, whoever picks up the reigns to animate the final season, don't gently caress it up
Addendum: no matter the cost, make sure Hiroyuki Sawano is on board to do the music. Let that man go full throttle for the soundtrack.

Thoren posted:

But will there be a rhythm battle for the final showdown that bleeds over into the end credits?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i'm on team eren here, this is going to be the Best Ending

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
literally just

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

It'll be interesting to see how they'll compact the last ~40 chapters into 1 season. I was a little dissapointed how fast they did Kreuger's speech on the wall, but I guess an anime needs more action than talking.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Eej posted:

literally just

This + Eternal Champion
spoilers from Wikipedia
Too soon, the humans mount a new attack against the Eldren city. The Eldren are determined to fight bravely but hopelessly with medieval weapons, even though they have the ancient fearsome weapons available. However, when it is clear that the battle will soon be lost, Erekosė convinces Arjavh to allow him to unearth the ancient machines of destruction if it would preserve the Eldren.

After destroying the human army, he proceeds to kill every human being on the planet. Then he returns to Loos Ptokai, marries Ermizhad, and knows peace, at least for a time. There is a very abrupt transition from Erekosė saving the Eldren at the very last moment – where he has the complete sympathy of most readers – and his proceeding to destroy the human cities and villages and kill all their inhabitants, even when there is clearly no further threat to the Eldren, even hunting down and killing a few survivors hiding in caves. In effect, he has fulfilled the earlier-mentioned vow ("I will spare none! None! I want it to be over. And the only way I can finish it is to kill them all") – only directed against the humans instead of the Eldren; why he does this is unclear. The story clearly implies that Erekosė was foredoomed by some higher power to commit genocide, that his only choice was whether he would exterminate the Eldren or the humans, and that once the choice was made he was helpless to stop himself from carrying it through. The nature of that higher power and its motivations remain, however, unclear. The book's ending with this inevitable genocide might be a major reason for its relative lack of popularity.

Name similar to Eren? Surprise genocide at the end? Only way to stop it is killing them all? fated to do it and helpless to stop himself? There are similarities...

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Sub Harrison posted:

It'll be interesting to see how they'll compact the last ~40 chapters into 1 season. I was a little dissapointed how fast they did Kreuger's speech on the wall, but I guess an anime needs more action than talking.

It should be fine if they do 24-25 episodes.

I'd like to see a return of S2's directing, though.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

it's going to turn out that reiner and monkey titan are the good guys

i hope eren does a huge heel turn and gets taken over by the first king who wants to genocide wipe the marleys now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PbdyJ_ybSI

the story the author has been setting up apparently wouldn't be complete without titan hitler :hitler:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

logikv9 posted:

i'm on team eren here, this is going to be the Best Ending

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Eren chooses synthesis, blending all humans with titans

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

change my name posted:

Eren chooses synthesis, blending all humans with titans

technically correct if there are no normal humans left

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
Was this mentioned before? I wonder if it was Time Travel Eren who told six year old Eren how to find those kidnappers and how to kill them. This would make sense because I always thought that part was a dumb anime thing.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

Was this mentioned before? I wonder if it was Time Travel Eren who told six year old Eren how to find those kidnappers and how to kill them. This would make sense because I always thought that part was a dumb anime thing.

This would be weird, because Eren hadn't had the Attack Titan yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Not that I expect this to enter the plot, but technically anyone who's ever held the Attack Titan before or even after Eren could have influenced his or his father's actions at any point of the story. It could very well come out that the will of the first Attack Titan has a similar control or manipulation like the king in the royal family/Founding Titan.