Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

RVWinkle posted:

I have spent some time tweaking and benchmarking before diving in. My once mighty 1080 can only manage between 50-65 fps depending on settings but I think I finally found the silver bullet. It you mess with resolution scaling, you can really start improving things with little impact to visual quality. Simply scaling down to 97% gave me an extra 10% fps!
*math scribbles*
I'm going to scale my resolution to 192 x 108 and get 150-195 FPS. Nice.

Just kidding.
I'm most likely going to continue to click the "Launch Game" button and watch the Rockstar launcher crash, until I finally give up and request a refund.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Online's great. Go defensive and never have to deal with anyone ever again. Most people just do their own thing and never bother you.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Capn Beeb posted:

Kinda weird I can't set CPU affinity in task manager though, running as admin it still tells me access is denied.

Just as well, it causes problems. The stuttering will now come with a horrific screeching sound.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Elendil004 posted:

Well all my friends who have this game are godless cowards who will not venture online. Does anyone want to play? Is there a community? Is the only way to add people really through the social club website?

We have a discord for PC goons that you are more than welcome to join. https://discord.gg/yRkJgbk/ You can add people through the social website or, once you log into the game, hit the HOME button and it will bring up an in game UI where you can navigate to the Friends section and add people via their nickname and handle friend requests.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Professorjuggalo posted:

Also in awe about all the tiny details stuffed into the game but I can jerk that off after everyone’s game stops crashing (it runs better than GTAV on my computer somehow)

I'm in the same boat and I first ventured into this thread to say how amazingly well optimized this pc port is. Then I started seeing like half the people couldn't even launch the game. Oops

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Finally got it running but I'm having some frame rate issues what settings do i tweak to get this to look better?

Palm Visor Neo
32kb ram
Gameboy Lightboy magnifier and screen light peripheral

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Robot Hobo posted:

*math scribbles*
I'm going to scale my resolution to 192 x 108 and get 150-195 FPS. Nice.

Just kidding.
I'm most likely going to continue to click the "Launch Game" button and watch the Rockstar launcher crash, until I finally give up and request a refund.

I had this problem, reinstalling the launcher and making sure it as well as the RDR2.exe were set to admin mode let me play.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Just as well, it causes problems. The stuttering will now come with a horrific screeching sound.

So should I just not bother with Process Lasso as well?

Also this game sure doesn't like the Geforce Experience overlay thing, holy poo poo. I just want to take a picture of my online character :(

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Capn Beeb posted:

For what it's worth, Process Lasso worked pretty drat well for me. Hardly any hitching now, and the hitches that do happen are a few seconds long.

Though the game does crash to desktop now and then, so.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I was sad about being relegated to lovely wi-fi for a couple of weeks just around launch, making it impossible to download those eleventy billion gigs, but it seems like I'll be sitting out the worst if it. Feel bad for all you guys, though.

Anybody else have a 9600K paired with a 3GB 1060? How does it perform? Provided it performs at all.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Toaster Beef posted:

For what it's worth, Process Lasso worked pretty drat well for me. Hardly any hitching now, and the hitches that do happen are a few seconds long.

Though the game does crash to desktop now and then, so.

What settings did you use?

Wizard Whateley
Apr 12, 2002

I am a bootlicking scab who loves seeing people be paid less than living wages. If the workers don't like it they should just kill themselves. Let me know who is organizing so I can report them to management. I pine for the days of the Pinkertons.
Anyone know if it's possible to walk while in first person mode using mouse/keyboard? This annoyed the poo poo out of me on console, but is even worse now with no stick. No idea why the default movement is different from third person...

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
real long shot but for everyone crashing - try disabling all your leet gamer gear LED lighting apps and poo poo like that. These things hook into your mb bios so I'm just thinking that may be why an update is fixing it for some people.

edit; i speak from experience here with other games, not red dead though as it seems to be running fine for me

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Capn Beeb posted:

I had this problem, reinstalling the launcher and making sure it as well as the RDR2.exe were set to admin mode let me play.

Also this game sure doesn't like the Geforce Experience overlay thing, holy poo poo. I just want to take a picture of my online character :(

Can you not use the Windows game overlay? Hit win+G to bring it up, there’s a hotkey for screenshots too though I can’t remember it

sensitivepigeon
Dec 4, 2016

I'M SENSITIVE ABOUT IT, OK?

Transmogrifier posted:

We have a discord for PC goons that you are more than welcome to join. https://discord.gg/yRkJgbk/ You can add people through the social website or, once you log into the game, hit the HOME button and it will bring up an in game UI where you can navigate to the Friends section and add people via their nickname and handle friend requests.

Link isn't working, could you post a new one?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Transmogrifier posted:

I think that link is expired.

Also, how do I earn gold because I need like jesus, 15 to become a bounty hunter :(

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
$9.99

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Capn Beeb posted:

What settings did you use?

I found the ones I ended up using here. So far, they're working pretty well.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

sensitivepigeon posted:

Link isn't working, could you post a new one?

Elendil004 posted:

I think that link is expired.

Also, how do I earn gold because I need like jesus, 15 to become a bounty hunter :(

That's supposed to be a permanent link so I'm not sure why it no longer works. :shrug: But here you two go! https://discord.gg/HBgmBeJ

How to earn gold: do daily challenges and missions. Finding treasure maps will also yield gold too. It can be slow going but it adds up quickly enough.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I hope consoles get the photo mode the PC version has. Being stuck using the old timey camera stinks.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Toaster Beef posted:

I found the ones I ended up using here. So far, they're working pretty well.

That's what I'm using and the opening story mode cutscene is a slideshow that took 15 minutes to complete.

CPU utilization is all over the place :(

Edit:

Transmogrifier posted:

How to earn gold: do daily challenges and missions. Finding treasure maps will also yield gold too. It can be slow going but it adds up quickly enough.

Also note that after level 10, every 5 levels you get a treasure map.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Capn Beeb posted:

Using Process Lasso, I can see CPU usage drop in sync with the game freezing up. I hope they fix i5 problems, cause otherwise the game runs surprisingly well.

Kinda weird I can't set CPU affinity in task manager though, running as admin it still tells me access is denied.

It's been bad enough for me on my 9700K that I'm requesting a refund. Getting hitches like this every 10 to 15 minutes and a third of the time it's a crash.

https://streamable.com/12fxk

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

jisforjosh posted:

It's been bad enough for me on my 9700K that I'm requesting a refund. Getting hitches like this every 10 to 15 minutes and a third of the time it's a crash.

That's what I'm getting on my 6600k, gently caress it guess I'm waiting for a patch. The actual GPU portion of the game is buttery smooth.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Capn Beeb posted:

I was using a different program that did the same thing, BEM. It made the stuttering happen less frequently but when it did happen, it would result in a crash. Now I still get the hitch every 15 minutes or so but it never crashes. The thing thats making performance tips so hard to sift through is, Chapter 1 seems to be way more performance heavy than Chapter 2, and then Valentine seems to have problems of its own. And then some of these so called solutions have problems that don't immediately present themselves.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Capn Beeb posted:

That's what I'm getting on my 6600k, gently caress it guess I'm waiting for a patch. The actual GPU portion of the game is buttery smooth.

Apparently a 7700k has no hitching but a 7600K does. It has to do with hyperthreading

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Prefect Six posted:

The launcher is just sitting at "Connecting to Rockstar game services" now. Worked fine last night, but updated and restarted tonight. Tried disabling AV and running the launcher in administrator mode, but still not getting past "connecting". Oh well, back to Outer Worlds.

I'm still getting this. I can't uninstall the launcher or re-install it without the launcher locking up. Has anyone seen any fixes for this?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

jisforjosh posted:

Apparently a 7700k has no hitching but a 7600K does. It has to do with hyperthreading

Yes, it certainly seems to be related to lack of hyperthreading. That GamersNexus CPU video shows it. Every cpu they tested without hyperthreading (number of threads equals number of cores) showed the problem.

I've a 6 year old i7-3770K, 4 cores/8 threads, and a new RTX 5700 and it's been smooth so far, though I've just made it to the camp outside Valentine.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
I love this game and how it’s optimized, but I’ve had about 12 CTDs come out of nowhere, 5 of which came after Rockstar apparently “fixed” the issue earlier today. It keeps happening mid-mission too and I can’t listen to Trelawny yap about his trip to New York a third time, so I may be done until Rockstar unfucks their poo poo.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

v1ld posted:

Yes, it certainly seems to be related to lack of hyperthreading. That GamersNexus CPU video shows it. Every cpu they tested without hyperthreading (number of threads equals number of cores) showed the problem.

I've a 6 year old i7-3770K, 4 cores/8 threads, and a new RTX 5700 and it's been smooth so far, though I've just made it to the camp outside Valentine.

drat, sucks :( Oddly enough, I switched from Vulkan to DX12 and the hitching vanished. I can't push 2560x1440 full screen like I could using Vulkan, and the Borderless Gaming tool doesn't seem to want to work, but poo poo the hitching is gone. Surprised me, I thought windows 7 didn't support DX12.

Still not getting any drat rumbling with my DS4 controller though, making finding treasure tricky.

Edit:

Hmm maybe not, game crashed so hard using DX12 my video card reset and didn't see my primary monitor until I unplugged it and plugged it back in. That's a new one. Guess this is on the back burner then.

Beeb fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Nov 8, 2019

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
It's pretty wild that Epic paid probably millions of dollars to get 2 months of exclusivity for an early access build of a Triple A game that's been finished for a year on consoles and the release is still worse than anyone could have predicted. Gotta love the state of video games in 2019.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

jisforjosh posted:

This is interesting because it's been running well with no hitches for me with the same CPU. Then I watched that Gamer's Nexus video linked earlier and it looks like you can get the issue you describe if you're not GPU bound.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

I wonder if cranking the graphics up to GPU meltdown levels would alleviate some of the CPU issues?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

v1ld posted:

Makes no sense to me that 4 cores and 8 threads can be smoother than 8 physical cores

RVWinkle posted:

This is interesting because it's been running well with no hitches for me with the same CPU. Then I watched that Gamer's Nexus video linked earlier and it looks like you can get the issue you describe if you're not GPU bound.

It has to be something more than what's described in the Gamer's Nexus video. Steve saying it possibly happens when you're not GPU bound doesn't make sense when my 1080 Ti is staying loaded at 3440x1440

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Nov 8, 2019

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Capn Beeb posted:

I also have a 6600k. The only way I got it semi-stable was using process lasso and setting it to decrease 2 cores at 90%, and switching to directx12.

They really, really just need to patch it though. May be worth waiting.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

JosefStalinator posted:

I also have a 6600k. The only way I got it semi-stable was using process lasso and setting it to decrease 2 cores at 90%, and switching to directx12.

They really, really just need to patch it though. May be worth waiting.

How's DX12 working for you? That hard crash I had earlier has got me really nervous about giving it a more prolonged go :ohdear:

Also yeah I might just wait. Got Control to play through, Outer Worlds, and hell Fallen Order is shaping up to possibly be drat good.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Anyone with the i5 issue try unparking your cores and see what happens.

https://coderbag.com/programming-c/disable-cpu-core-parking-utility

I had mine unparked since long before release, and I have never seen any stuttering or freezing on my 9600K.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm kinda surprised at how little pvp I see online compared to GTA V. 95% of people I encounter are in defensive mode and just want to be left alone. I've only been shot at once in my hours of play and of course it was someone in defensive mode trying to snipe at me from far away. I've left myself in offensive mode and haven't had any problems so far except for that one guy shooting at me and missing badly.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

:shrug: My i5-6500 has been chugging along modestly enough after I started manually setting core affinity to two cores. It sucks having to manually set affinity, I shouldn't have to do that, but after I did so the game so far has run without a single hitch or stutter.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I dunno what monkey paw wishes I’ve used up this week, but after the first prologue section I’ve had basically no issues on my i5-6500 + GTX970 combo. The prologue was tough, and the first couple trips into Valentine were a slideshow, but now I’m well into chapter 3 and only getting freezes every 30 minutes or so.

Side-note: for my first play through I’m going full white hat but it’s really loving difficult. Feels like every time I go into a town someone dives in front of my horse and gets trampled, leading to a shootout and unwanted bounty :argh:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The trader role in MP is made for me. Just roaming around hunting deer and pigs for hours. Feels great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
This game is so broken. Textures set on high have a LOD-problem so apart from every in-game texture being blurry, the icons and the map follow what seems to be a different scaling so they move differently when zooming in/out. Also, the rockstar launcher doesn't know how to start the epic launcher and crashes when I try to use Direct X12. I miss the pre-50-launchers-to-play-a-game-days.