Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Canopus250 posted:

Yes, and he loves them all.

Edit: He has also said that, but he said he sucked at the stealth which I can't judge since I've only played MGS3.

I was all ready to defend Dan until I heard him say that, holy poo poo he only plays MGS games as shooting action games, what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Live Free posted:

if you were skipping the cutscenes in mgs5 this game is going to eat you for breakfast

No joke. This game demands your attention. Its great

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Four hours in, and I probably should catch a little bit of sleep because I have to work tomorrow....

....nah, game is so good

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
This game is so loving stressful.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I was really on the fence about this due to the very consistent bashing of the game's story as being super surface level and never going anywhere, but I was listening to the Beastcast and heard something kind of weird that makes me question if it's really that bad. Vinny/Alex were talking about how every metaphor totally bashes you over the head and it's all super surface level with nothing to dive into. Abbey then asked if the "likes" are good or bad since the MULE's went crazy because of them, and Alex's response is "I don't really know, the game never tells you"

hmm.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I was really on the fence about this due to the very consistent bashing of the game's story as being super surface level and never going anywhere, but I was listening to the Beastcast and heard something kind of weird that makes me question if it's really that bad. Vinny/Alex were talking about how every metaphor totally bashes you over the head and it's all super surface level with nothing to dive into. Abbey then asked if the "likes" are good or bad since the MULE's went crazy because of them, and Alex's response is "I don't really know, the game never tells you"

hmm.

I'm pretty sure they meant as a game mechanic that might have some sort of impact, not in the lore sense.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I was all ready to defend Dan until I heard him say that, holy poo poo he only plays MGS games as shooting action games, what the gently caress

Dan is a very thickheaded person, and I honestly love him for it.

So far, Austin Walker's absorption of what this game is from his cohorts is where I'm currently at. He likes slow-rear end games that he can dissect and so do I, usually.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Det_no posted:

I'm pretty sure they meant as a game mechanic that might have some sort of impact, not in the lore sense.

I guess this would also make sense considering neither of them knew about the shoulder check and Alex beat the game not knowing you could run from the BT minibosses

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I guess this would also make sense considering neither of them knew about the shoulder check and Alex beat the game not knowing you could run from the BT minibosses

Considering the amount of mechanics that are never really explained in MGSV alone, I think it's likely many intelligent players will miss stuff like that no matter what.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Considering the amount of mechanics that are never really explained in MGSV alone, I think it's likely many intelligent players will miss stuff like that no matter what.

The only reviewer that matters is videogamedunkey.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Palpek posted:

To people who play at release: post your impressions as you're playing, I don't want to wait like 30 hours for the first post when you already changed your opinion 5 times.

Will do! I've just spent about an hour on the opening credits first very short mission, wandering around and getting a feel for the controls etc.

Coop would appreciate that this game has a button that lets you say "Hellooooo!".

Game is cool so far! I'd usually wait longer to post, but I'm adhering to the thread mission here. The opening credits and the music choice are excellent, and the world is imagination grabbing.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Joe Gillian posted:

The only reviewer that matters is videogamedunkey.

maybe we should not listen to the guy who said he hopes people's first born babies' throats are slashed with a broken bottle when he gets mad in a pvp game

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

not to mention being a white guy and using the n-word in one of his videos

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TWO MINUTES

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Toxic Mental posted:

maybe we should not listen to the guy who said he hopes people's first born babies' throats are slashed with a broken bottle when he gets mad in a pvp game

Zikan posted:

not to mention being a white guy and using the n-word in one of his videos

Ok yeah gently caress videogamedunkey. God damnit, white people.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

its out now restart steam.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

WHAT

SONT DONT YOU DARE

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I haven't read any pre release stuff: Can you change the difficulty at any time?

edit: Nevermind I should probably hit "start game" next time before I ask a question :v:

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Excited for this funky fetus walking deadman sim.

Playing on easy cause gently caress the police.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Day Zero: I sit at the hotel bar, 2 1/2 drinks in. I will order another one.

I asked my girlfriend, do you think death stranding will be good?

I’ve contemplated this question for a week. I’ve watched some reviews, stopping when I get too much information.

She replies, “Do we have HBO?”

I say no and goodnight. I don’t need an answer. I’m about to finish the prelude.

Tomorrow, I’ll drive three hours to deliver Death Stranding to my house. Tomorrow, I will deliver my first package.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Presenting Nipples posted:

Tomorrow, I’ll drive three hours to deliver Death Stranding to my house. Tomorrow, I will deliver my first package.

Hell yeah! I did about 90 minutes round trip to a game store that gave me a copy at 9pm, successful mission.

And HBO did have Tales From the Crypt, which was one of the the finest shows.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

WHAT

SONT DONT YOU DARE

I'm on the west coast, can anyone confirm it unlocked before I head home

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good
Is anyone having issues with audio cutting out? Every 30 seconds or so, it shorts out for maybe a second. I kinda want to sort this BEFORE I hit the hour and a half of movies.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
SONY I LOVE YOU ALM IS FORGOVEN

Took about 30 extra seconds before it unlocked

First ten minutes: holy poo poo the graphics are so gorgeous and I wondered if some of it was prerendered

The cinematography is refreshingly head and shoulders above any other videogame cinematography. It feels like an Alex Garland movie

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

Donovan Trip posted:

I'm on the west coast, can anyone confirm it unlocked before I head home

On west coast, have been playing since like 9:01pm.

Controlling Sam feels neat, I feel like I have to keep in mind that my character has legs.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Steve Yun posted:

It feels like an Alex Garland movie

Speaking of which, I would be honored to deliver a package for Judge Dredd, the finest comic book character. And very much agreed it's got an incredible look and feel.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

i died in the first 10 minutes by running too fast and I somersaulted myself off a cliff and then a baby doll in Norman’s throat waved me back to life

this is going to be good

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Steve Yun posted:

First ten minutes: holy poo poo the graphics are so gorgeous and I wondered if some of it was prerendered

I was so sure it was either prerendered or actual, edited photos...until the moment you realize it's the game engine running when the bike gets into the frame and you see the rocks and everything are actual geometry

This game is so incredibly beautiful

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Three more hours until I get home from work and can chuck this bad boy into my PS4 Pro aaahhh

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I only got to play an hour of it (it is late here) but despite them throwing a billion confusing and weird things at you at once, and despite them talking about things and using words and phrases that you have zero context for, it all feels like it has some kind of internal logic. Like it doesn't just feel like you're being fed a bunch of nonsense, it feels like everything being said all makes sense by the end of this.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

I've actually shot an indie short film that GDT funded, which started from someone tweeting at him. The man is incredible

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Game absolutely has the best inverse kinematics ever. Sams feet and legs will perfectly match whatever incline or rock he’s standing on. He will even hop zigzag across rocks if appropriate. I was surprised to see that.

So far the most wow feeling is the fact that running down a hill too fast with a full backpack FEELS dangerous. This is the opposite of a power fantasy. Whenever I see a rock I walk around it. In any other game I’d jump over it.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
This is the Solaris of video games.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
TIP: you can move the camera around in “action cinematics”, the kind where it’s a single take

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Steve Yun posted:

Whenever I see a rock I walk around it. In any other game I’d jump over it.

I was really surprised when I realised that several of the moss covered boulders I was walking around, were actually moss covered cars that had sunk into the landscape over time. The environments are stunningly well done in this game.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I’m mentally prepared for it. If I can slog through ten straight minutes of Russian freeway shots I can handle this.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Friendly Fire posted:

I was really surprised when I realised that several of the moss covered boulders I was walking around, were actually moss covered cars that had sunk into the landscape over time. The environments are stunningly well done in this game.

Lol, it’s Adventure Time

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
All the 2016-2018 trailers seem to be from the first couple hours of the game

Edit: 1 hour 45 mins to title screen.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 8, 2019

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Played the first couple short missions and I'm liking it a lot! Heather Alexander was right when she said that the game is full of unsubtle symbolism. In order to rebuild America, I need to burn the corpse of the last president of the old government.

Speaking of unsubtle, I also got a laugh at the digs at the gig economy. Twice now, Sam says that he doesn't want to get involved but everyone goes "Nuh uh, we have a contract with you so you gotta do it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Edit: 1 hour 45 mins to title screen.

:hmmyes: