Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
On the sneaking

It almost seems easiest to just get caught and run from the big monster, then just collect your poo poo again. I was hoping you could wait out the rain in caves but it just seems to keep going forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Arrived at chapter 2. The story is engrossing, the music is prevalent and excellent, and the atmosphere is bizarre and sterile. It's pretty good so far even if the actual movement is a bit more finicky than I expected (default sensitivity for the cutscene camera is wonky as heck too).

Looking forward to seeing what else is up this game's sleeve!

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

f#a# posted:

Arrived at chapter 2. The story is engrossing, the music is prevalent and excellent, and the atmosphere is bizarre and sterile. It's pretty good so far even if the actual movement is a bit more finicky than I expected (default sensitivity for the cutscene camera is wonky as heck too).

Looking forward to seeing what else is up this game's sleeve!

I'm in chapter 2 as well. I am going to rush to chapter 3 as supposedly that's when the game gets good and you get equipment and such that makes your life a ton better.

It was wonderful to have someone put ladders and a rope over the mountain on a disposal mission. Saved me so much time, especially once the BTs came out.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hamelekim posted:

I'm in chapter 2 as well. I am going to rush to chapter 3 as supposedly that's when the game gets good and you get equipment and such that makes your life a ton better.

It was wonderful to have someone put ladders and a rope over the mountain on a disposal mission. Saved me so much time, especially once the BTs came out.

I was under the impression during the first disposal mission the ropes and ladder was left there by a npc. Mine said Igor and Die Hardman mentioned him on a radio call. Kinda like a tutorial “hey there’s ropes and ladders you can use” kinda thing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Took a break and back

Game leans very hard into the gameyness of the world, using the words Game Over Man not only to refer to Aliens but also MGS1’s death screen and to lampshade how Sam’s ability to return is like extra lives

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Romes128 posted:

I was under the impression during the first disposal mission the ropes and ladder was left there by a npc. Mine said Igor and Die Hardman mentioned him on a radio call. Kinda like a tutorial “hey there’s ropes and ladders you can use” kinda thing.
Igor was the previous corpse disposal guy you met before.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Doctors all wear red as if they’re extras from Dead Ringers

Edit: Lindsay Wagner’s face is pretty nuts in closeup. It’s not 100% real but they’ve crossed the uncanny valley enough where now I see a person there more than I see CG character

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Nov 8, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I just got an email about likes being better than drugs from an NPC. I like this game.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I've just gotten to the point to where you can accept non-story missions.
This game is... interesting? The opening hours aren't as dull as people said but the cutscene to gameplay ratio is incredibly high.

I know that this game is built on the bones of the same engine as Horizon Zero Dawn. I wonder how much they had to throw out because it wouldn't work.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Neat detail: when the camera walks through a force field the audio cuts out temporarily.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

bewilderment posted:

I've just gotten to the point to where you can accept non-story missions.
This game is... interesting? The opening hours aren't as dull as people said but the cutscene to gameplay ratio is incredibly high.

I know that this game is built on the bones of the same engine as Horizon Zero Dawn. I wonder how much they had to throw out because it wouldn't work.

Most of the groundwork for this game was probably already laid down when Guerrilla transitioned their Decima engine from Killzone to Horizon. Death Stranding has had a regular team of at least 20 Guerrilla developers since it went into production.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

It really is a fantastic looking game and it's really nice just to walk around in. It isn't a hard game so far, I haven't been knocked over or dropped any cargo, so I'm not sure why some reviewers said that was such a big issue. The balance system feels pretty intuitive to me. The social strand stuff is fun and it's nice to be able to see the paths people have taken, and take advantage of things they have placed. It has the same feeling that frustrated me with MGSV where the home base stuff feels kind of tacked on. It's basically the advertising room Drinking monster energy increases your stamina cap above normal levels so you might find yourself drinking one each time you go out.

Can the likes be spent on anything, or is it literally just for likes?

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Nov 8, 2019

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I think as long as you’re holding both triggers 24/7 you can traverse almost anything without tripping or losing your balance.

I feel like this game was made for me because, don’t laugh, I would sometimes go for strolls in MGSV.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Steve Yun posted:

I feel like this game was made for me because, don’t laugh, I would sometimes go for strolls in MGSV.

Nothing wrong with that, I really liked taking things slow and scoping places out even though I could technically just sprint and fulton everything in a few seconds. The desire to traverse more thoroughly carried over to other games, I used to play a lot of Warframe and I spent ages walking around in the open areas they made for that.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
This is one of the best games I've ever played

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

dvorak posted:

This is the Solaris of video games.

I agree. After my first three and a half hours of this game I'm left with the impression that this is what video games would be like if Andrei Tarkovsky made them. The experience feels a lot like Stalker. Not the game Stalker mind you, though I suppose there are some similarities, but rather the film. It's a bleak, but hauntingly beautiful world that mixes the deeply personal and the paranormal in a way that pulls me in, even if I do get a little frustrated with how seldom it makes an effort to explain things that get casually mentioned between characters. Having played, and thoroughly enjoyed, MGS5 I had little problem learning it's controls seeing as how the two share a lot of DNA, though getting used to managing forward momentum can be tricky. It's a little like dealing with the too-realistic-for-its-own-good controls of Red Dead Redemption 2, albeit not quite as frustrating.

I'd play some more, but I have work tomorrow. Thankfully I have Monday off for the federal holiday so I have plenty of time to play after that. Also I'll be going out of town to visit my father who has a crazy 85 inch 4K TV with HDR and a $10K custom made surround sound audio system so I look forward to both seeing and hearing what this game can really do when pushing the PS4 Pro to its limits.

Also, dealing with BTs is nerve wracking as all hell. It's great!

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I unlocked the God of War soundtrack?

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

I, Butthole posted:

I unlocked the God of War soundtrack?

Just like how Tarkovsky would have wanted

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

JBP posted:

On the sneaking

I was hoping you could wait out the rain in caves but it just seems to keep going forever.

I tried the same thing and yeah, it seems like rain sticks around in an area until you leave.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Had my first BT encounter. It’s like playing Warmer, Colder with invisible ghosts

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Fitting the game released on the horny page

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The level to which the environment goes absolutely loving apeshit when a BT gets you is incredible. This game is insane and beautiful and thrilling and frightening and fun.

Throumbas
Dec 24, 2006

why did the byob cross the road

Steve Yun posted:

Had my first BT encounter. It’s like playing Warmer, Colder with invisible ghosts

I fat fingered the "Hey! Anybody there?" pad while trying to save in that first encounter. Shat myself of course.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I enjoy the BT areas so much. Haven't been caught yet, so it might change, but it so much fun. I have to admit, I normally am not a fan of stealth games, especially if it's a stealth mission tacked onto a normal FPS game. I liked MGS, but I have to say I cleared some missions more violently than necessary.

But the stealth part in this game feels so awesome at the moment. I know you get more options later on, but I'm still in chapter 2, doing side missions and stuff, and I currently love everything about this game but carrying corpses. That ain't fun, but as someone said above: it seems permanently holding the shoulder buttons saves everything (at least in normal difficulty, and outside of water)

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
Get caught at least once just to witness how crazy it gets.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFP4GIU1NY0

Got caught but broke free

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Also spoiler question (light spoiler, first hour):
When you have to die during the tutorial mission due to the voidout, Sam has the q-bit necklace on when he's dropped into the "ocean". But during the tutorial story, he gets it much later.

Also there is one single shot of Amilie with a black dress instead of a red.

Seeing as this is Kojima, I assume both of that aren't mistakes, and we are in for a really wild Konima-ride along the road?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ghouldaddy07 posted:

Get caught at least once just to witness how crazy it gets.

I feel like I get caught a lot. I feel like the zones with BTs are just a thick wall of them in some cases and I can't find a safe way through.

tuo posted:

When you have to die during the tutorial mission due to the voidout, Sam has the q-bit necklace on when he's dropped into the "ocean". But during the tutorial story, he gets it much later.

Seeing as this is Kojima, I assume both of that aren't mistakes, and we are in for a really wild Konima-ride along the road?

The chiral network transfers data from place to place in such great volumes and with such speed that one character explains that the data must be time travelling rather than being sent normally as there is no way to transfer this volume of information and have it show up immediately. Might be something!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I’m hanging out in the room now and not sure what to do next

Edit oh wait I just had to explore everything in the room

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Steve Yun posted:

Got caught but broke free

Are the BT locations random? Or are they moving? No chance in hell could I have made the first half of that trip....I had BTs blocking off all of the center and left part of the exit, but very little to the right.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Steve Yun posted:

Edit oh wait I just had to explore everything in the room

Go pick up an order from the terminal.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

tuo posted:

I think you're correctomundo as they say.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Steve Yun posted:

Hit every option once, then the story continues

e: ah, you found it

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I'm just gonna stay in my room and take pictures of Norman. Duh idiots

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Everything is fine. We are fine in here

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

How do you increase font size in this drat game?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Got chased by Mules on a truck, dropped all of my cargo so they would stop chasing me. Decided to follow them back to their base, got my cargo back, their cargo, and a truck. Pure profit.

Game is good.

Sekenr posted:

I wish we could so badly.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Sekenr posted:

Where can I download the 200 page pdf to understand both the inventory and the mission screens?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Also this game opens up a totally new way of "griefing". Whenever I see a usefull ladder, I put another one right next to it. Whenever someone uses mine, I giggle with joy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Has anyone found Grimes yet?
She doesn't appear on the official soundtrack on Spotify so I wonder if she's still in.