Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Vagabundo posted:

Yeah, an ideal cut would retain the stuff cut from after the Marines are introduced. The "life on the outpost" stuff, while fine in a vacuum, seems superfluous and Ripley's daughter, I won't miss too much if it were excised.

Youre dead to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

Although it would have been a pretty goddamn hilarious fake-out if the Marines went to the colony, found it was a downed transmitter, and then the entire rest of the movie is a deep meditation about illegal immigrants in space or something.

:lol:

1 hour of this non-stop. Just playing games.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Pennywise the Frown posted:

:lol:

1 hour of this non-stop. Just playing games.

We called it Pinfinger, did anyone else used to play with a pen or pencil in school?

I remember there was a fighting fantasy book where you had to challenge another guy in a bar and between that and the awesome scene in Aliens I thought it was the coolest poo poo ever.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

SilvergunSuperman posted:

We called it Pinfinger, did anyone else used to play with a pen or pencil in school?

Yes but always with the eraser down. Not only did I not want to stab myself but I'd damage the tip and have to resharpen it. :shrug:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Pfft, you sissy.

E I'm kidding but cmon, any excuse to use those kick rear end pencil sharpeners at the front of the room.

They were old as poo poo at my school and the engineering was just perfect.

SilvergunSuperman fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 6, 2019

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
This is true. They were all different though. Some would wobble around and the container would just fall to the floor and you'd have to clean up all of the shavings.

Some were so good that they could whittle your pencil down to a stub in 10 cranks.

No. 2 Pencils Only for the Scantron.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

It turns into a Meatballs style bawdy comedy as they try to rescue some juicy colonist PAWGs from their virginity.

(I don't care for the early colony scenes and prefer the version where you fill in the blanks with your imagination when you see the turbofucked ghost town.)

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

The head of the colony is the same guy who plays Red Dwarf's Captain. They shot a lot of footage for that show in the same industrial buildings (a gas works?) used as the atmosphere processor in Aliens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQdjwjieWYU

There are a lot of little nods to Aliens in there. The polymorph's form for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1o78X0BQ5k

This is also slightly related to one thing in Alien/s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYAlB1Kxayc

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

Some would wobble around and the container would just fall to the floor and you'd have to clean up all of the shavings.

Nice humble brag rich kid. Look at me I go to a school that is clean.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

madeintaipei posted:

The head of the colony is the same guy who plays Red Dwarf's Captain. They shot a lot of footage for that show in the same industrial buildings (a gas works?) used as the atmosphere processor in Aliens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQdjwjieWYU

As a huge Red Dwarf fan this loving owns, I never knew this!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Code Jockey posted:

As a huge Red Dwarf fan this loving owns, I never knew this!

Dude's been in England, at that studio, forever. I guess with the way the English actors' unions work there is a hierarchy in who you should consider first for a role. That's how you end up seeing the same people over and over on British tv/films. Our guy is the resident portly American middle-aged fellow. Him being in Red Dwarf is an oblique joke about the deleted scenes in Aliens. IIRC, the books and radio-show have the Capt. as a woman.

The Cat plays a Caribbean policeman in the Anglo-French show, Death in Paradise, btw.

Someone mentioned once that RD was a very progressive show for the day. A crew consisting of a mixed race dude, a black dude, a gender-fluid computer with dementia, and a Welshman.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

Exactly. The moment you bought your ticket you knew what was up when the colony was non responsive. Like, it’s right there in the movie’s title.

Although it would have been a pretty goddamn hilarious fake-out if the Marines went to the colony, found it was a downed transmitter, and then the entire rest of the movie is a deep meditation about illegal immigrants in space or something.

Turns out it's not Archeon but Arcturus. It's all about trans issues and toxic masculinity. Frost is turns out to be pretty progressive in hooking up with "male" Arcturian poontang.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

madeintaipei posted:

Dude's been in England, at that studio, forever. I guess with the way the English actors' unions work there is a hierarchy in who you should consider first for a role. That's how you end up seeing the same people over and over on British tv/films. Our guy is the resident portly American middle-aged fellow. Him being in Red Dwarf is an oblique joke about the deleted scenes in Aliens. IIRC, the books and radio-show have the Capt. as a woman.

This is largely because of some sort of registry that North American actors had to go through. I'm not sure if it's still around, but it's a large reason why you see guys like William Hootkins (Porkins from Star Wars, "Top Man" in Raiders, Eckhart in Tim Burton's Batman) in almost every major blockbuster of the '80s, because they all shot them over at Pinewood Studios.

If Cheers didn't work out, we probably would have had John Ratzenberger as Bishop. I mean, he's the guy who takes Space Meth in Outland and explodes when he takes off his helmet in the first 5 minutes of the movie.

madeintaipei posted:

The Cat plays a Caribbean policeman in the Anglo-French show, Death in Paradise, btw.

Someone mentioned once that RD was a very progressive show for the day. A crew consisting of a mixed race dude, a black dude, a gender-fluid computer with dementia, and a Welshman.

Danny John-Jules is in friggin' Little Shop Of Horrors in the "Skid Row" sequence.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

I liked that they showed the colony. In the regular cut they just say that there's a colony and they lost contact. Kinda didn't have much of an impact on me since I didn't know what it was or who was there. I think showing the workers and kids and families there made it feel more real. You get to see the people who are about to get royally hosed.

I don't understand the pacing argument. It's like <5 minutes.
In the non-ES we spend almost the entire film following Ripley. There's very few cuts away from Ripley, and when there are they're to follow people (or alien queens) Ripley recently interacted with or is about to interact with. The Hadley's Hope scene is omniscient knowledge, we're moved away from following Ripley & Co to watching a bunch of people she (and by extension the audience) doesn't know at a place she (and again, the audience) has never been. The only one of these people we meet later is Newt, and by meeting her earlier she no longer forks off Ripley's story so much as merges into it.

It's very possible for a single 5 minute scene to completely change the flow of a film. Does it make it better or worse or neither? Matter of opinion. Does it have no impact? Don't be silly.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Well I say you're wrong, and bad. An equally valid take.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I think it makes the movie worse, but it's more aliens and aliens has quality to spare

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Young Freud posted:

This is largely because of some sort of registry that North American actors had to go through. I'm not sure if it's still around, but it's a large reason why you see guys like William Hootkins (Porkins from Star Wars, "Top Man" in Raiders, Eckhart in Tim Burton's Batman) in almost every major blockbuster of the '80s, because they all shot them over at Pinewood Studios.

If Cheers didn't work out, we probably would have had John Ratzenberger as Bishop. I mean, he's the guy who takes Space Meth in Outland and explodes when he takes off his helmet in the first 5 minutes of the movie.

Danny John-Jules is in friggin' Little Shop Of Horrors in the "Skid Row" sequence.

He’s also in Blade 2

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
As glad as I am that the colony scenes ended up cut, it is worth watching if only because the scene of the Colony management walking and talking while griping about WY was almost completely recycled in Terminator 2 when Miles Dyson is walking around the Cyberdyne building. Cameron evidently just liked showing guys walking around their workspaces bitching about management.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Young Freud posted:

Side note, but Outland loving owns.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Laterite posted:

Side note, but Outland loving owns.

Looks interesting, I'll check it out.

While we're side noting I watched Commando for the first time since I was a kid and holy shiiiiit, it rules so goddamn hard.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I really enjoy Outland but its ending is weak. It’s so pat. It’s a great production though, they really succeeded at the shithouse near-future solar system exploration vibe.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

While we're side noting I watched Commando for the first time since I was a kid and holy shiiiiit, it rules so goddamn hard.

Commando is one the few films that, if it's on TV, I'm loving watching it. Doesn't matter that I've got it on DVD. It's always Commando o'clock.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

:blastu:
That movie rules. My college writing teacher boiled it down to "Guy wants to live out in the mountains, raising a daughter & choppin' wood. Then Some dudes come by and STOP THAT FROM HAPPENING. He gets angry, goes on a killing spree, gets his daughter back, and returns to the mountains to chop wood."

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

I read an article that flat-out proved that Commando is the most homoerotic film of the 1980. From Arnold chopping wood in slow motion over steamy sax music, to throwing Bill Duke into a hotel room where a woman was in bed behind the man, and of course Vernon Wells dressed up like Freddie Mercury and screaming "I don't need the girl!" as Arnold coaxes him to penetrate him. Rewatching it through that lens is hilarious and there's no way it wasn't intentional.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I mean a lot of 80s action movies are pretty drat homoerotic but I think you're right. I definitely saw that in the motel scene, I don't know how you don't take away dude was getting pegged.

Maybe all that is why it's not as fondly remembered/talked about?

All I know is it loving rules and I could watch it again today, there were so many hilarious action scenes and kills, movie has nearly no fat.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Maybe all that is why it's not as fondly remembered/talked about?

I think it's why it should be talked about more, Commando is the best.

Not to mention the amazing one-liners. The entire Sully scene has Arnold speaking entirely in awesome one-liners.

"Loyalty is very touching. But it's not the most important thing in your life right now. What IS important is gravity."
"I have to remind you Sully, this is my weak arm."
"Remember when I promised to kill you last? I lied."
"I had to let him go."

Commando is just balls-to-the-wall in every way and I adore it.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

thinking of watching Alien Resurrection for the first time since the DVD came out back in the day.. i used to really like Jeunet/Caro's stuff but all I can remember from that movie is how lovely the last alien looked

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I remember liking the underwater attack and topsy turvy ladder scene but I don't know if they hold up.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
Weaver making the over the shoulder shot is the part I think I like best. She actually did that, no CGI. They had to cut away from Pearlman before he broke character.
That whole scene actually, I like. Pearlman's character is being a creep, thinking he's the baddest one in the room, and Weaver's just like a cat playing with a mouse.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Resurrection is my favorite out of the bad ones tbh. Weaver gives a vastly better performance than the movie deserves but when is that ever not the case.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
It’s crazy how bad Resurrection is given the quality of its cast. I guess it’s probably better about that than Prometheus or Covenant but drat.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Splicer posted:

In the non-ES we spend almost the entire film following Ripley. There's very few cuts away from Ripley, and when there are they're to follow people (or alien queens) Ripley recently interacted with or is about to interact with. The Hadley's Hope scene is omniscient knowledge, we're moved away from following Ripley & Co to watching a bunch of people she (and by extension the audience) doesn't know at a place she (and again, the audience) has never been. The only one of these people we meet later is Newt, and by meeting her earlier she no longer forks off Ripley's story so much as merges into it.

It's very possible for a single 5 minute scene to completely change the flow of a film. Does it make it better or worse or neither? Matter of opinion. Does it have no impact? Don't be silly.

I don't care. I like it. hmmpphh :colbert:

You know I never even thought about that. The movie almost 100% follows just her. There's just little set up scenes for a few seconds that show where she is or who she's with. But it's basically her all day every day.

:aaaaa:

Thank you for pointing that out. I never truly realized how much it's just all about her story and hers alone.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 7, 2019

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Jay_Zombie posted:

Weaver making the over the shoulder shot is the part I think I like best. She actually did that, no CGI. They had to cut away from Pearlman before he broke character.
That whole scene actually, I like. Pearlman's character is being a creep, thinking he's the baddest one in the room, and Weaver's just like a cat playing with a mouse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmZBghY_5UE

purple death ray posted:

Resurrection is my favorite out of the bad ones tbh. Weaver gives a vastly better performance than the movie deserves but when is that ever not the case.

I guess I agree. Better than the new ones I guess. But it's more sort of nostalgia. I remember an old program in TV in the 90s on the Discovery Channel ,before they stopped being a learning channel, called Movie Magic. They showed a ton of stuff behind the scenes and I remember a bunch of guys in the alien costumes standing around and how they did the CGI of them underwater. It was cool

Also....

:swoon:

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 7, 2019

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I guess I agree. Better than the new ones I guess. But it's more sort of nostalgia. I remember an old program in TV in the 90s on the Discovery Channel ,before they stopped being a learning channel, called Movie Magic. They showed a ton of stuff behind the scenes and I remember a bunch of guys in the alien costumes standing around and how they did the CGI of them underwater. It was cool

Movie Magic owned. I remember the episode about Day of the Dead, it was pretty cool seeing how they made that scene, you know the one.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Wild T posted:

I think it's why it should be talked about more, Commando is the best.

Not to mention the amazing one-liners. The entire Sully scene has Arnold speaking entirely in awesome one-liners.

"Loyalty is very touching. But it's not the most important thing in your life right now. What IS important is gravity."
"I have to remind you Sully, this is my weak arm."
"Remember when I promised to kill you last? I lied."
"I had to let him go."

Commando is just balls-to-the-wall in every way and I adore it.

I was 5 or 6 when I first watched it and I still remember my first viewing. A good movie.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Pearlman also nearly drowned while shooting the underwater chase. Apparently he whacked his head, knocked himself out cold, and had to be rescued by the crew.

But yeah. You gotta love Pearlman. I maintain that if he's in a movie, no matter how bad it is, it gets at least 10% better. Nobody ever says, "Aww crap! Ron Pearlman's in this? :("
See also:
Christopher Walken
Christolph Waltz
John Goodman

100% agreed.
Father's dead, rear end in a top hat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJOywNZA9ts
Intruder on level one. All aliens please proceed to level 1.

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 7, 2019

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Jay_Zombie posted:

But yeah. You gotta love Pearlman. I maintain that if he's in a movie, no matter how bad it is, it gets at least 10% better. Nobody ever says, "Aww crap! Ron Pearlman's in this? :("

:hmmyes:

He's fun to follow on twitter too.

His best tweet was after David Koch died:

"Here's wishing the Koch brothers a speedy reunion."

lol, it got deleted.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

:hmmyes:

He's fun to follow on twitter too.

His best tweet was after David Koch died:

"Here's wishing the Koch brothers a speedy reunion."

lol, it got deleted.

He had to deleted it because he was suspended until he did.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Iron Crowned posted:

Movie Magic owned. I remember the episode about Day of the Dead, it was pretty cool seeing how they made that scene, you know the one.

I honestly don't know which one you mean. Every gag in Day of the Dead is that one. They're all so, so good.

I've also never seen Movie Magic. Was that a TV show in America? Tried looking it up on Youtube to no avail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

I mean a lot of 80s action movies are pretty drat homoerotic but I think you're right. I definitely saw that in the motel scene, I don't know how you don't take away dude was getting pegged.

Sorry if this comes off pedantic but this is a genuine pet peeve of mine: it's not 'homoerotic' when a straight couple does pegging. Anal sex has nothing to do with being gay any more than it does being straight.