Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i'm enjoying watchmen so far, but i just accept it for what it is: fan fiction with a budget

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well then, whatever you do, don’t look up the show’s podcast where the showrunner both-sides the KKK and Antifa for wearing masks

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Westworld Season 1 sort of wrote itself into a corner because the only place it could go was outside of Westworld. I'm guessing they didn't have the budget for that, which is why Season 2 just kept going around in circles to run down the clock.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Damon Lindelof is a centerist elemental:
https://twitter.com/lanham45/status/1191216047661211648?s=21

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

well then, whatever you do, don’t look up the show’s podcast where the showrunner both-sides the KKK and Antifa for wearing masks

its a very 'living in a society' show

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

how exactly did the watchmen universe go from a one party state controlled by zombie richard nixon to a one party state controlled by zombie robert redford when zombie nixon was never actually discredited

Serf
May 5, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

how exactly did the watchmen universe go from a one party state controlled by zombie richard nixon to a one party state controlled by zombie robert redford when zombie nixon was never actually discredited

i reckon a giant alien psychic squid appearing and killing millions of people, forcing the two world superpowers to unite against the alien threat would really gently caress up the political system. imagine what happened the ussr's internal politics

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

i dont think its been explained yet but nixon gets rolled in the fallout of new york being destroyed by a squid but he's still seen as a hero by the right, including a racist rednecks who live in trailer parks called 'nixonvilles'

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

theres nothing explicitly wrong with that quote. though its pretty funny that he thinks the only two alternatives are a two-party system or a one-party system

the show actually shows pretty well how a 100% liberal society would look like. its just a capitalist police state with some wokeness sprinkled on top

the show kinda sucks though. mystery box poo poo

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Remembering Leslie Lee saying Alan Moore doesn't like pastiche and rolling

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Farm Frenzy posted:

i dont think its been explained yet but nixon gets rolled in the fallout of new york being destroyed by a squid but he's still seen as a hero by the right, including a racist rednecks who live in trailer parks called 'nixonvilles'

Plus when you have any long running political administration there tends to be a reactionary over-correction.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i just don't get why would anyone blame the psychic squid stuff on nixon as far as anyone knows the psychic squid was a random freak alien invasion that cant be blamed on anyone except possibly doctor manhatten for failing to stop it

reminder that we live in a world where terrorists destroyed the world trade center with box cutters and the reaction of people was not to realize that our government was run by incompetent idiots but to instead give george w bush a forty percent approval rating bump

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Serf posted:

i reckon a giant alien psychic squid appearing and killing millions of people, forcing the two world superpowers to unite against the alien threat would really gently caress up the political system. imagine what happened the ussr's internal politics

I wonder what ramifications the journal being published would have on Ozy's plan in an actual follow-up by Moore. Would the whole thing have crumbled or was the info from Rorschach's point of view too limited, causing people to draw the conclusion that Veidt was working for the aliens. An outcome where he still succeeded at his goal but was branded an enemy of the world by people looking for a less existential target to take out their post-tragedy anger on.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

like were sure this is comic continuity right because if this was snyder sure destroying nixons legacy because he pissed off a monster that decided to nuke new york actually makes a lot of sense especially since right wingers would actually have a reason to latch onto rohrsachs notebook since it would prove that nixon was victim to a conspiracy by superheroes

Serf
May 5, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

i just don't get why would anyone blame the psychic squid stuff on nixon as far as anyone knows the psychic squid was a random freak alien invasion that cant be blamed on anyone except possibly doctor manhatten for failing to stop it

reminder that we live in a world where terrorists destroyed the world trade center with box cutters and the reaction of people was not to realize that our government was run by incompetent idiots but to instead give george w bush a forty percent approval rating bump

from the tie-in materials on the hbo website it seems like nixon hosed up the response really badly and the public turned on him

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

how could nixon possibly gently caress up post psychic squid cleanup worse than george bush hosed up post nine eleven im not sure it would be possible to do that even if he was intentionally trying to do it as incompetently as possible

based on what id heard so far id kind of just assumed nixon was dead by the time redford took over given that in the real world comfortable nixon in retirement died at about the same time and he wasnt being stressed out from having to be personally responsible for dealing with alien invasions

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Serf posted:

from the tie-in materials on the hbo website it seems like nixon hosed up the response really badly and the public turned on him

"I would like to express my distaste for that particular space monster."

Serf
May 5, 2011

i do think there's a difference in reaction between "an alien attack of unknown origin has killed 5 million people and we have no real way to fight back. also baby squids rain from the sky now" vs. "an identified group of terrorists have killed 3000 people by hijacking commercial airplanes, we know where they are and who they are"

(bush did 9/11 btw)

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

how could nixon possibly gently caress up post psychic squid cleanup worse than george bush hosed up post nine eleven im not sure it would be possible to do that even if he was intentionally trying to do it as incompetently as possible

based on what id heard so far id kind of just assumed nixon was dead by the time redford took over given that in the real world comfortable nixon in retirement died at about the same time and he wasnt being stressed out from having to be personally responsible for dealing with alien invasions

can't it be both? I don't think watchmen america is a full blown dictatorship, and nixon was already shown as pretty unpopular in the comic. the republicans got 30 years by winning vietnam but then everyone gradually got sick of them.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i will admit theres something poetic about liberals finally gaining uncontested almighty unlimited power because a problem that doesnt actually exist and which they dont know how to solve gets blamed on the ruling party and they get to inherit the dictatorship they spent gently caress all effort opposing over the last several decades

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

the big difference between post Katrina New Orleans and a psychic squid destroying Brooklyn is the race & class character of the victims. Lot more white and boogie people in Brooklyn, and those are the two most important demos in America.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Farm Frenzy posted:

watchmens only planned to be one season and theres a very good chance that itll get too stupid to be tolerable by the end

yeah . . . it's borderline there now. i can't even imagine anyone could have interest in this show outside people that were already very familiar with the comic and all of its underlying themes and motifs

there's always the true detective route, where the first season was balls-to-the-wall amazing, the second season was an embarrassingly wet fart, and then the franchise sat for like 5 years before barfing out a third season that was just "what if season 1 but the numbers filed off"

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's a show by the dunce who made Lost and Prometheus and it's gonna be about having a national conversation on bad stuff or some poo poo

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

3 episodes in and watchmen is just a fuckin cop show with overtly fascist cops, so the writers have to make the thing they fight even worse somehow

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

get that OUT of my face posted:

is Watchmen gonna be the next "cultural event" show for HBO now that GoT is finished and mostly forgotten about?

They're trying but it's actually Succession, that show is apparently a smash hit

Also the premiere of His Dark Materials crushed it despite being on Monday night

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Bro Dad posted:

Also the premiere of His Dark Materials crushed it despite being on Monday night
This is the only show I care about.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Reverend Dr posted:

3 episodes in and watchmen is just a fuckin cop show with overtly fascist cops, so the writers have to make the thing they fight even worse somehow

They somehow miss the point of watchmen twice in that brief blurb.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Freaking Crumbum posted:

yeah . . . it's borderline there now. i can't even imagine anyone could have interest in this show outside people that were already very familiar with the comic and all of its underlying themes and motifs

there's always the true detective route, where the first season was balls-to-the-wall amazing, the second season was an embarrassingly wet fart, and then the franchise sat for like 5 years before barfing out a third season that was just "what if season 1 but the numbers filed off"

man, i know true detective s3 was a retread of s1, but god drat if mahershala ali and steven dorff aren't fantastic in it. breaking things up with hays' alzheimers loving with the flow of time was an interesting refinement of the split narrative from s1, and it felt like it had a more satisfying ending

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

super sweet best pal posted:

I wonder what ramifications the journal being published would have on Ozy's plan in an actual follow-up by Moore. Would the whole thing have crumbled or was the info from Rorschach's point of view too limited, causing people to draw the conclusion that Veidt was working for the aliens. An outcome where he still succeeded at his goal but was branded an enemy of the world by people looking for a less existential target to take out their post-tragedy anger on.

Rorschach's journal is the In Universe version of Epstein's Black Book.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I mean, it can't be that specific to Korean culture since there are a whole lot of Koreans who do not live under capitalism

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Reverend Dr posted:

the biggest problem with watchmen is that it didn't start with a giant loving screen that said "this actually happened in tulsa because white people are obsessed with wealth"

there would be a lot of room for that plot to be interesting and thought provoking but its turning into some real liberal impotent rage fantasy by muellerites

also forgot holy bible by manic street preachers is 25 years old now, and also came out a week before oasis' definitely maybe

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

I mean, it can't be that specific to Korean culture since there are a whole lot of Koreans who do not live under capitalism

dprk today was very praiseful of parasite interpreting it as a persuasive and accurate condemnation of capitalism

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

holy cow his dark materials is way better than golden compass

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

It's a show by the dunce who made Lost and Prometheus and it's gonna be about having a national conversation on bad stuff or some poo poo

i think its trying to show americas culture war as an actual war

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

dprk today was very praiseful of parasite interpreting it as a persuasive and accurate condemnation of capitalism

Kim Jong Il's love of cinema really paid off for their film analysis.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
"It's the fate of the working class... or the middle class? Things are a lot more fluid here."

Seriously, how am I just hearing about Lodge 49 when it's cancelled? This is Terriers all over again.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
or Sirens!

motherfuck!!!

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

mysterious frankie posted:

"It's the fate of the working class... or the middle class? Things are a lot more fluid here."

Seriously, how am I just hearing about Lodge 49 when it's cancelled? This is Terriers all over again.

there's a slim chance it'll go to a streaming service but not likely

it is totally worth it though, it portrays the lost working class in modern america and has really well fleshed out characters and super capable actors

also it has a character named beautiful jeff, who is more beautiful than you imagined

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Westworld Season 1 sort of wrote itself into a corner because the only place it could go was outside of Westworld. I'm guessing they didn't have the budget for that, which is why Season 2 just kept going around in circles to run down the clock.

most of the robots got beamed to robot heaven, right? but how does the satellite they were beamed to have as much computing power as a server farm submerged in liquid coolant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

mysterious frankie posted:

gently caress i completely forgot Terriers. That was such a god drat good show that deserved another season.

i'll checkout lodge 49