Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Good news: You can fast forward through side quest cutscenes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I am only an hour in and had an entire huge post in my mind complaining about this and that and mexican soap opera level melodrama the game throws at you when it all just clicked together. Tha game simply had too much hype and expectations. If you treat it like another wacky japanese game to explore unusual new mechanics and laugh at silly drama than its absolutely enjoyable. Music is very good.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
I wish this game had fishing. And I'm sure that if we did, we would have to use the guy's pubes to craft fly lures or something else as grose as that.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I heard there is no penalty if you don't take a dump in the entire 80+ hour story, so is taking a dump just for weird perverts?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Calico Heart posted:

I heard there is no penalty if you don't take a dump in the entire 80+ hour story, so is taking a dump just for weird perverts?

Number two grenades are strong

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I played 6 hours straight and I love this game. Looking forward to seeing just how Chapter 3 changes it up. I'm at the part where I've just been told I have to trek from the wind farm all the way back to the city, from which I will go all the way to the port city. I'm extremely excited to take on this journey tomorrow.

Sekenr posted:

I am only an hour in and had an entire huge post in my mind complaining about this and that and mexican soap opera level melodrama the game throws at you when it all just clicked together. Tha game simply had too much hype and expectations. If you treat it like another wacky japanese game to explore unusual new mechanics and laugh at silly drama than its absolutely enjoyable. Music is very good.
I never expected anything other than a wacky japanese game with unhinged Kojima so it's pretty much a fantastic game.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

DaveKap posted:

I played 6 hours straight and I love this game. Looking forward to seeing just how Chapter 3 changes it up. I'm at the part where I've just been told I have to trek from the wind farm all the way back to the city, from which I will go all the way to the port city. I'm extremely excited to take on this journey tomorrow.

I never expected anything other than a wacky japanese game with unhinged Kojima so it's pretty much a fantastic game.

Yep. I just wish the dialogues were a little less awkward and the game absolutely needs fishing abd cooking.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I can't believe this game was produced before Gamer Girl Bathwater was a thing.

Number zero grenade indeed.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Imagine saying "mexican soap opera level melodrama" like it's a bad thing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

WarEternal posted:

Imagine saying "mexican soap opera level melodrama" like it's a bad thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EixZ3iTv-k

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

ghouldaddy07 posted:

Get caught at least once just to witness how crazy it gets.

:lol: just did. Not only did those fuckers eat my shoes, I also had to climb a mountain covered in dead fish afterwards. GOTY.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Can you guys give me some tips on how to sneak around BTs? Is it just playing hot and cold and going the opposite direction to where the antenna points towards?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Goddamnit the cuscenes are painful to watch. The writing is awful. This man need DRACONIAN editor who will hit him at his hands with a ruler and yell "This is crap, Kojima! You wrote crap, stop it right now" until he gets better.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Spermando posted:

Can you guys give me some tips on how to sneak around BTs? Is it just playing hot and cold and going the opposite direction to where the antenna points towards?

Yeah I'd also like to know. It feels like they're always a straight wall between me and the general area I'm trying to move towards so I've stopped sneaking and started just smashing headfirst into them and then booking it. I'm usually good at stealth games but I'm just finding this annoying since I can't plan a route and it feels like there's no way to find a solution without spending forever randomly walking away from the sensor direction.

JBP fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Nov 8, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sekenr posted:

Goddamnit the cuscenes are painful to watch. The writing is awful. This man need DRACONIAN editor who will hit him at his hands with a ruler and yell "This is crap, Kojima! You wrote crap, stop it right now" until he gets better.

It owns I'm having a blast with the writing. The emails are even better.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

A lot of the early cutscenes actually feel like they weren't going to use all of them and then they did anyway, and so that's why tears get explained multiple times.

I guess if you have a big star (or their likeness) you want to use every bit of footage you have?

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Sekenr posted:

:chloe:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I am thinking it’s easier to get detected by BTs and then running rather than sneaking around

Also I got to the distribution center but the terminal’s not connected to the network. What do I do now

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Sekenr posted:

Kojima's writing has always been bad. It is occassionally good but a good bit of the charm in his games is that the weirdness masks the shittiness fairly well.

I would not really recommend playing any Kojima game solo. They're enjoyable but you'll have an absolute blast watching the cutscenes with friends. There's enough good and interesting stuff to actually get invested in and enough awful and weird stuff to make for an awesome drunk friends watch

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Spermando posted:

I usually position the camera exactly where the sensor is pointing away from (so the sensor points at me) and then walk the other way, or lets say in something between 110° and 160° to the source, until it detects the next thing. All areas I have visited until now seemed to either be a "maze" (with solid lines of BTs) or a zickzack minesweeper-like arrangement. Hard to explain, but yeah, I always try to sneak away from or at max 90° to where the sensor is pointing, though then I often have to hold my breath.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Anyone playing on Hard? Hearing reports of how easy things are im thinking of starting on hard.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Vikar Jerome posted:

Anyone playing on Hard? Hearing reports of how easy things are im thinking of starting on hard.

Yeah and it's still quite easy (so far) on hard.

You can change at any time, no reason not to go with it imo.

I've also read you can only S rank things on hard which ties into trophies? Not too sure about that though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ceramics posted:

I've also read you can only S rank things on hard which ties into trophies? Not too sure about that though.

I'm S ranking everything on normal.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Ceramics posted:

No I've been getting S ranks on normal.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Steve Yun posted:

I am thinking it’s easier to get detected by BTs and then running rather than sneaking around

Also I got to the distribution center but the terminal’s not connected to the network. What do I do now

You forgot to take the delivery quest to go there I assume.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

JBP posted:

I'm S ranking everything on normal.

Must have been misinformed then.

Disregard :)

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

JBP posted:

Yeah I'd also like to know. It feels like they're always a straight wall between me and the general area I'm trying to move towards so I've stopped sneaking and started just smashing headfirst into them and then booking it. I'm usually good at stealth games but I'm just finding this annoying since I can't plan a route and it feels like there's no way to find a solution without spending forever randomly walking away from the sensor direction.

Tap R1 for your scanner and you can see them for 5 seconds or so.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Friendly Fire posted:

Tap R1 for your scanner and you can see them for 5 seconds or so.

Can you though? It only seems to work if they're already right in your grill. Do they move around much?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I just walk like at like a 90 degree angle when the flappy thing goes crazy, and just circle around it. Crouching and holding r1 when it's close of coursem. Like 6 hours in and haven't been close to getting caught yet.

Also, where is this garage elevator that you can supposedly park the bike on?

JBP posted:

Can you though? It only seems to work if they're already right in your grill. Do they move around much?
They only move when you alert them

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

What happens if I find a bridge with a lot of likes, I ban this guy from my game so his bridge dissapear, and I build my own bridge in the same place?

do other people see two bridges in the same place?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Sekenr posted:

You know kojima didnt actually write it, right? it was written by kenji yano.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tei posted:

What happens if I find a bridge with a lot of likes, I ban this guy from my game so his bridge dissapear, and I build my own bridge in the same place?

do other people see two bridges in the same place?

I’m guessing it’s instanced. Some people will see yours. Some people will see his.

For getting around BTs I just hold my breath if the thing turns orange. Otherwise I just go around them. It looks like the light faces the direction of the closest one. I don’t even bother pinging with L1.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Vikar Jerome posted:

You know kojima didnt actually write it, right? it was written by kenji yano.

Well that changes everything, the dialogue isn't bad now.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So can I choke out those MULE people?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

bewilderment posted:

You forgot to take the delivery quest to go there I assume.

Fuuuuuuuuuuck

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I do not know who wrote it but intro credits said written by Hideo Kojima. It ultimately doesn't matter who did it but I have to say, I am profoundly shocked by how bad everything is. You've got money, you've got honest to got hollywood actors and this is what you produce? Cutscenes are appalingly bad. I compared it previously to soap opera, now I wish I was watching a soap opera. People barely make any sense. They seriously struggle to produce meaning out of the words they use, its like I don't know watching a stroke patient try to speak, its just sad and you kind of get what they are saying but this is professional actors and supposedly a highly funded piece?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
lol stop being such a drama queen

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Sekenr posted:

I do not know who wrote it but intro credits said written by Hideo Kojima. It ultimately doesn't matter who did it but I have to say, I am profoundly shocked by how bad everything is. You've got money, you've got honest to got hollywood actors and this is what you produce? Cutscenes are appalingly bad. I compared it previously to soap opera, now I wish I was watching a soap opera. People barely make any sense. They seriously struggle to produce meaning out of the words they use, its like I don't know watching a stroke patient try to speak, its just sad and you kind of get what they are saying but this is professional actors and supposedly a highly funded piece?

OK boomer

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

game rules. cutscenes rule. you smell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Sekenr posted:

the intro credit says written by kenji yano.

game is designed, producted, directed and cast by hideo kojima.

i've only just started chapter 1 but everything so far as been fine and the cutscenes great. i mean there are new words for the future game world popping up you barely have context for in a expositiony way, as par the course for a kojima game, but im not sure what the hell you are expecting here. it looks and sounds great to me and its making sense from what little context i have so... :shrug:

anyway, glad the GTD voice actor is doing his best GTD impression, i thought it was gonna be some random american accent. also lol at people telling me there would be no codec. big grins when i saw that word.