Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I got pistol whip on the oculus quest and it's super fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pistol Whip is a great game, new genre, well done guys

At one point near the end of the Día de los Muertos level this guy busts out an epic rock electric guitar solo and you're capping dudes in time with it, pretty inspired

Feels pretty polished, there's definitely some rough edges but considering what they've done here you can easily overlook it

This is definitely the game you hand to your 14 year old little brother when they get the hang of beat saber

Game is a cross between James Bond movie into scene simulator (you can even switch to the Walther PPK7) and gangsta rap posing simulator

Definitely not a H3 competitor, but this is a great arcade game to show off at a party

If this were an indie 2D steam game it would be $15, with the VR tax $25 is totally reasonable

I played it on Quest, no performance issues once the level fully loads. I can't imagine playing this game tethered with the cable whipping about everywhere while you're busy dodging shots

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
I'm really liking Pistol Whip.

Do you guys think there might be custom levels one day like for Beat Saber?

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Danknificent posted:

On one of Tested's recent videos they talked about the process they have to go through to create each level. Some of it is procedural but a lot of it has to be designed by hand for every level.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

jubjub64 posted:

On one of Tested's recent videos they talked about the process they have to go through to create each level. Some of it is procedural but a lot of it has to be designed by hand for every level.

Custom levels wouldn't necessary have to be as good as the normal ones to be worth having. Even if the level was simpler, being able to play custom songs would still be a fun diversion.

Danknificent posted:

I mean, never say never, considering people just found a way to hack custom levels into Dark Souls.

But without developer support, it is gonna be hard. Its significantly more to it than beat saber levels, having both enemies spawning, moving around, and level geometry.

Still, you think you could auto-generate something decent based on the song BPM and waveform, and like I said above, even if the levels end up being "basic" by comparison, it'd still be fun?

A big part of how hard it'd be would be how much the devs help, but honestly it probably isn't worth the headache for them.

They're also planning on doing DLC packs of songs, and I have to wonder if Beat Saber doesn't regret letting people have customs since it massively disincentivizes the need for the DLC song packs. Still, I think it offers a ton of extra value to the base product, so here's a massive :shrug: who knows!!! lol

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Custom songs in beat saber is really by necessity for them, because the game's sinple enough that if they didn't officially do it then someone would mod it in anyway.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
Alright, no luck with fallout vr on the index. No matter which controller type or legacy, it still treats the analog stick as a thumb pad. Anytime you are in a menu it starts freaking out like it's on a rubber band. Guess I need to unpack the oculus.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I can't believe I haven't thought of this sooner, but American / Euro Truck Sim + Car mods = VR Open World Driving Game??

The physics are probably crap but I'm gonna have to try this. I really, really want like a forza horizon or need for speed underground VR racing game. All the current VR racing games are tracks only afaik.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Happyimp posted:

Alright, no luck with fallout vr on the index. No matter which controller type or legacy, it still treats the analog stick as a thumb pad. Anytime you are in a menu it starts freaking out like it's on a rubber band. Guess I need to unpack the oculus.

I did some digging out of curiosity, and it's not actually Valve's fault. According to this guy on Reddit, Bethesda ignored SteamVR API conventions to do something loving stupid. They include a fix for getting Fallout VR to recognise Index controllers are Oculus Touch controllers in that link.

There should also be an applicable legacy binding if you follow their Steam username shared in the post while searching for bindings.

The short version is instead of accepting what it's told to use, the game is querying the tracking system to brute-force what controller should be applied (ie; Vive Wands or Oculus Touch) instead of obeying SteamVR's configs.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Alright I'll be the idiot. I cannot get pistol whip to like lock in. I play beatsaber on expert+, and I am pretty good at it and even love it. But I for the life of me cannot get into the "beat" of pistol whip. Right now I'm just playing it as a john wick shooter but the rhythm aspect just isn't clicking with me. Am I the idiot reviewer of the last page?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Bethesda ignored [...] conventions to do something loving stupid.

Sounds about right.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Skyarb posted:

Alright I'll be the idiot. I cannot get pistol whip to like lock in. I play beatsaber on expert+, and I am pretty good at it and even love it. But I for the life of me cannot get into the "beat" of pistol whip. Right now I'm just playing it as a john wick shooter but the rhythm aspect just isn't clicking with me. Am I the idiot reviewer of the last page?

Listen to the music outside of the game, or put it on no fail and crank up the volume.

When I first started playing, I had the same issue. It wasn't until I could chill through a level without thinking that I "got it" and all the bang bang shoot on time poo poo made sense.

Don't think so hard about it and just listen to the perfect murder music. Then start lining up shots with the 1/8th notes when you get a feel for the songs.

https://bsaber.com/pistol-whip-scoring-guide/

:)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Its kinda funny that dual wielding gives you a massive score penalty, because it barely makes you better. Yeah, you can pump out bullets faster, but only so much. Your aim and timing are way off with two guns.

But like I said before, I really appreciate a game that focuses mostly on just a single pistol. The simplicity is real good. Also the fact that reloading is so simple in Pistol Whip works really well for the type of game that it is.

The gun customization is great, basically all of the standard pistols you could ask for. (maybe a luger?) I bounce between the 1911, Deagle, Beretta and PPK

Skyarb posted:

Ruffian Price posted:

There's even an option to make the controllers vibrate to the beat, I put it at 0.4 to help with quiet sections

Check this yo.

I've been pretty good at finding the beat, but I'm a musician so :shrug: I've been trained to tap my foot to music habitually and that probably helps

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Nov 8, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you want a Vive or parts still, HTC's now selling pre-owned certified Vive sets for $400USD through the Vive website. All things considered, that's really not a bad entry point into VR at that price if you're looking for a permanent setup.

Direct link to the Vive store page for it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
is the music in the trailer representative of the music in pistol whip? because holy moley that's bad lol.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Music in Pistol Whip fits extremely well with what you're actually doing in the game.
I wonder what that genre is called though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Truga posted:

is the music in the trailer representative of the music in pistol whip? because holy moley that's bad lol.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/10F5J8YE50o0zB13Hk7TQM

There's a mix, but its mostly EDM like beat saber or Rez because you wanna hit that dancey groove

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I did some digging out of curiosity, and it's not actually Valve's fault. According to this guy on Reddit, Bethesda ignored SteamVR API conventions to do something loving stupid. They include a fix for getting Fallout VR to recognise Index controllers are Oculus Touch controllers in that link.

There should also be an applicable legacy binding if you follow their Steam username shared in the post while searching for bindings.

The short version is instead of accepting what it's told to use, the game is querying the tracking system to brute-force what controller should be applied (ie; Vive Wands or Oculus Touch) instead of obeying SteamVR's configs.

Holy poo poo! It works. Now it's time to start modding this drat game. Thank you supersleuth.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/10F5J8YE50o0zB13Hk7TQM

There's a mix, but its mostly EDM like beat saber or Rez because you wanna hit that dancey groove

spotify doesn't work for me so I'll just take this as a yes and wait for custom maps I guess :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Truga posted:

spotify doesn't work for me so I'll just take this as a yes and wait for custom maps I guess :v:

Wow okay lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3ip-dQeqzo&list=PLEX7tioN4vY5m2xVr5cUJIAEdqDyu_5ND

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
If you were going to show off an Oculus Quest to a sixty-year old, what would you show them?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Gort posted:

If you were going to show off an Oculus Quest to a sixty-year old, what would you show them?

I read that as six year old and was gonna say Rec Room (every time I show it to friends it's nothing but 6 year olds playing with open mics). My friend's professor is in his sixties and legit just bought a Quest for Beat Saber after he played it at a VR arcade and I explained that Quest could run it standalone.

But yeah try First Contact then into the Beat Saber demo. Depends on what your sixty year old actually likes, I guess. Maybe boxing, maybe spray paint, all depends.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Nov 8, 2019

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks, that works. Yeah I'm definitely waiting for custom maps to happen before buying. :v:

Also, yeah, spotify is poo poo: "Spotify is currently not available in your country.
Follow us online to find out when we launch."

Everything else has been available here for years. Though a lot of things has up to 90% of the library still locked ~for licensing reasons~, the only exception being google play music because google has too much cash to be bothered with licenses and poo poo i guess

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gort posted:

VRChat! :v:

I'd go with Job or Vacation Simulator. It's a nice set of "you are in a virtual room!!" basic toys to mess around with that are very simple and encourage user creativity a little.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

WaterIsPoison posted:

Are you talking about performance or general algorithmic approach?
Performance! :)

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

drat I wish they didn't do such a lovely job on FalloutVR

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

My late 60s uncle absolutely loved space pirate trainer.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
welp, my legs are sore as gently caress this morning after an hour of Pistol Whip. If you do real squat movements this game is a workout.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Skyarb posted:

It's basically a minigame of 'do I shoot this guy as soon as he appears, or do I need to wait a second to hit him on beat'

It's such a well designed idea because waiting for the beat often means that they can get a shot off which means you will then need to dodge the bullet to the beat, and that getting the score high has more of a challenge than just hitting dudes on time.

Also, there are very often repeated patterns, usually demarcated by the presence of vest dudes. is two dudes and a vest guy 'pop-poppop-pop' or is it 'poppop-pop-pop' or even 'pop-pop-poppop'

it's up to you to figure it out!

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 8, 2019

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Gort posted:

Google earth.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Mr Phillby posted:

Google earth.

Quest. Nothing there yet.

My son is 7 now and for the longest time the only VR game he cared about playing was Job Simulator.
Not Beat Saber... Job Simulator.
He’s kind of grown out of it and wants to play Space Pirate Trainer and Vader Immortal ep1/2, and just told me the other day he wants me to train him in Beat Saber and wants to play Pistol Whip when he’s old enough.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/505546872?t=00h05m18s

Okay, I'm a hard mode convert. Still haven't actually *beaten* a level but I keep coming fuckin close. People who have trouble finding the beat, maybe try playing on hard? There's a greater number of dudes so its much more difficult but the beat can be more 'evident' sometimes to help you out on the lower difficulties.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 8, 2019

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Gort posted:

My mom Looooved beat saber.

Just make sure casting is on so you can help them out with the menus.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Are we talking “baby driver” type shooting on the beat with pistol whip? Because that sounds awesome

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gort posted:

Def Job/Vacation Sim.

They're patient games that just sit there and wait for you to do whatever you want, you can take your time to find your balance. Its also just a 1:1 roomscale space where you stand there and play with toys and look at funny things.

Perfect first experience for everybody in VR, honestly, although even more so for older people. Beat Saber is also great, but having cubes flying at you to a beat that you can't slow down or pause may be overwhelming as a very first time VR experience for some people.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Are we talking “baby driver” type shooting on the beat with pistol whip? Because that sounds awesome

gently caress yes, and gently caress yes it is awesome. It really works well.

You're free to shoot anybody anytime, but you get more points for headshots and on-the-beat shots. Which is fun, because you'll come around a wall and see an armored enemy 5 feet away and panic and unload 5 shots into him off-beat, then laugh at yourself for getting scared and go back to beat-shoot-dancing the rest of the enemies in the level.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
Have to admit that I'm having trouble with Pistol Whip, although it feels that I'll be able to get through it with enough practice. I assume that the red dot next to the score indicates that I hit an enemy at the right time? Nonetheless, I'm really digging it so far, especially when I really feel I'm getting into the song and dropping enemies left and right.

Also, I started doing what I saw most youtube videos do and just use both hands for one controller, instead of shooting one-handed. That really made things easier for me.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I had to watch some youtube vids of people playing it to "get it" with the music beats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sIUHht9CrI

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Baron von der Loon posted:

Have to admit that I'm having trouble with Pistol Whip, although it feels that I'll be able to get through it with enough practice. I assume that the red dot next to the score indicates that I hit an enemy at the right time? Nonetheless, I'm really digging it so far, especially when I really feel I'm getting into the song and dropping enemies left and right.

Also, I started doing what I saw most youtube videos do and just use both hands for one controller, instead of shooting one-handed. That really made things easier for me.

I think the red dot appears over 100, but it's over 180 when the whole score turns red that you really want to watch out for. I posted some Hard gameplay just upthread if you want to see it done with one pistol (the right way) and not 2 like in that vid

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

50% of the score is shooting on beat and 50% is shooting a shot that would hit them without autoaim or something along those lines. So a 200 shot is on beat and accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Its subtle but sometimes you get a red dot for beat and sometimes you get a red bullseye for headshot without autoaim, and sometimes you get both

mashed_penguin posted:

50% of the score is shooting on beat and 50% is shooting a shot that would hit them without autoaim or something along those lines. So a 200 shot is on beat and accurate.

Exactly

It may also pro-rate you on the timing? Like if you get it exact vs if you're off by a tiny bit vs if you're off the beat by a lot? Like how DDR does Marvelous / etc.