Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

rodbeard posted:

Clearly my plebian brain just can't comprehend the natural transition from savior of the world to jpop star.
Something about the revulsion to "jpop star" feels somewhat sexist. It's also weird how Yuna's inspiring speech before 1000 Words is always memory holed.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Again, sorry about your bad brain. Also that literally wasn't even Yuna. That was someone disguised as her selling her act on Yuna's good name and fame. Like that's the entire point of the first like 10 minutes of the game. She's just some lady treasure hunter. Which is basically what she did in the first game just with less Death March to it.

It's even better than that. Leblanc becomes Yuna in the opening cutscene. In chapter 4, Yuna becomes Lenne during the concert. A bunch of people forcefully become Shuyin throughout the game. The game is all about people trying on different identities, trying to figure out who they want to become. Leblanc hasn't even been doing the whole sphere hunting thing for very long, despite how she acts toward YRP. It's just a recent venture she's undertaken to gain the admiration of Nooj. Changing identities is even baked into the gameplay system with the dresspheres.

Yuna's role as a world leader in X-2 is definitely more enjoyable to watch compared to her role of a virgin sacrifice in X, anyway.

gigglefeimer fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

cock hero flux posted:

x-2 is bad for reasons other than its overall thematic connection with x, which is fine

It's incredibly good actually, sorry.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

X is bad because of the worst character, Wakka and his toilet baby bud Kimarhi.

And the really bad costumes. Belts for a dress, swimming in hiking boots and wicker basket elbow accoutrement.

And X especially because of the same four pallet swapped enemies you fight the entire game. Fun battle system though, and the sphere grid is cool.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Even if it turned out that it was in fact Yuna giving the jpop concert I really don't see how that clashes with her character at all.

Her father commited cult suicide and she spent her whole life being trained for her time to commit cult suicide because it was her duty your choice on the subject doesn't matter hun lol, she then finds out it was all a lie and her boyfriend was imaginary.

Giving a concert seems like a really really really healthy way to vent out some frustration.

I mean the game is throwing you "flying like a bird" analogies every 10 seconds, it is pretty obvious what is going on with Yuna

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Nov 8, 2019

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

lezard_valeth posted:

Even if it turned out that it was in fact Yuna giving the jpop concert I really don't see how that clashes with her character at all.

Her father commited cult suicide and she spent her whole life being trained for her time to commit cult suicide because it was her duty your choice on the subject doesn't matter hun lol, she then finds out it was all a lie and her boyfriend was imaginary.

Giving a concert seems like a really really really healthy way to vent out some frustration.

I mean the game is throwing you "flying like a bird" analogies every 10 seconds, it is pretty obvious what is going on with Yuna

Giving the concert isn't out of character for Yuna at all, that's what's so great about it. Sure, it's literally Leblanc posing as Yuna, but she's somehow singing about Tidus and her new life as if she were Yuna. So it's both Leblanc and Yuna at the same time, even though chronologically Yuna is also out by the docks hiding in a Moogle costume.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Yeah, that wasn't Yuna in the beginning, it was someone else that looked EXACTLY like Yuna because she stole Yuna's dress sphere.

Except it's consistent throughout the rest of the entire game that a dress sphere doesn't make you look exactly like someone else, you just get their general fashion sense and abilities.

And also because it wasn't really YUNA's dress sphere in the first place, so looking like Yuna wouldn't make sense even if dress spheres DID make you look like the person in the sphere.

Also Yuna goes on to give a jpop concert later in the game anyway so she still becomes a jpop star.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

lezard_valeth posted:

because it was her duty your choice on the subject doesn't matter hun lol,

it's worth pointing out that summoner was always a purely volunteer position and people could and did quit constantly because dying sucks

seymour quit and later went on to be a Maester so going "nah, gently caress it" seems to barely even have an impact on you socially

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

cock hero flux posted:

it's worth pointing out that summoner was always a purely volunteer position and people could and did quit constantly because dying sucks

seymour quit and later went on to be a Maester so going "nah, gently caress it" seems to barely even have an impact on you socially

yeah, but Yuna was the daughter of a high summoner and had a bunch of other societal bs put upon her because of that. Seymour was just embraced as part of the death cult because he was powerful and was all about keeping the cycle going.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, that wasn't Yuna in the beginning, it was someone else that looked EXACTLY like Yuna because she stole Yuna's dress sphere.

Except it's consistent throughout the rest of the entire game that a dress sphere doesn't make you look exactly like someone else, you just get their general fashion sense and abilities.

And also because it wasn't really YUNA's dress sphere in the first place, so looking like Yuna wouldn't make sense even if dress spheres DID make you look like the person in the sphere.

Small brain: it's Yuna at the concert
Big brain: actually, it's Leblanc
Galaxy brain: it's both Leblanc and Yuna!
Universe brain: Leblanc, Yuna, and Lenne are present at the concert

Specifically, Leblanc stole Yuna's garment grid which holds Lenne's dressphere. It's explained that the effects of the whole dressphere/garment grid system is not entirely understood (Shinra is just a kid), it's shown in the later concert that it can change your appearance, X-2 demonstrates many times that someone's feelings can have enormous tangible reality altering effects, and plus? Dresspheres are made of pyreflies aka magic. Dresspheres also give you more than the clothes and abilities, they alter the wearer's personality and actions (remember Yuna's involuntary dancing?)

Schwartzcough posted:

Also Yuna goes on to give a jpop concert later in the game anyway so she still becomes a jpop star.
*Yuna and Lenne

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

cock hero flux posted:

People's feelings and expectations towards each of them were totally different.

Seymour was the freaky mutant trash baby whose mother commited suicide so that then he could commit suicide and earn the people's love (great plan mom). When he bailed people probably went "i knew he was trash loving failure"

Literally everywhere Yuna goes people are "oh yuna you are gonna defeat sin just like your father so that *points* sad thing over there does not keep happening, you will do it for us, right yunie? otherwise my puppy will die". That's exactly what her breaking down in the lake scene is all about, she fantasizes with running away with Tidus but she just can't even though she wants to because she's been lead to think she would be failing and letting down the whole world. Hell, even her closest friends whom she considers a brother and a sister have been pushing her down this road her whole life

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

lezard_valeth posted:

Seymour was the freaky mutant trash baby whose mother commited suicide so that then he could commit suicide and earn the people's love (great plan mom). When he bailed people probably went "i knew he was trash loving failure"

Literally everywhere Yuna goes people are "oh yuna you are gonna defeat sin just like your father so that *points* sad thing over there does not keep happening, you will do it for us, right yunie? otherwise my puppy will die". That's exactly what her breaking down in the lake scene is all about, she fantasizes with running away with Tidus but she just can't even though she wants to because she's been lead to think she would be failing and letting down the whole world. Hell, even her closest friends whom she considers a brother and a sister have been pushing her down this road her whole life

Yeah, there's definitely a lot of pressure on her specifically, but it's not that people think that her feelings don't matter. It's more that she, herself, thinks that her own feelings aren't important, and that she has to go through with it for everyone else's sake. It's actually an interesting contrast to her own father's pilgrimage, which was 3 social outcasts going on the suicide quest specifically because succeeding at it is the exact opposite of what everyone expects them to do. Society is not only constructed around the concept of the Summoners sacrificing themselves, those who succeed are actively deified. Committing suicide is the greatest mark of skill and courage and results in you receiving the highest honour possible.

You can actually watch Yuna's own conception of it morph between "I have to kill myself because it is what my father did before me, and it's what everyone wants me to do, and even if they say it's my decision everyone will be incredibly disappointed in me if I don't do it" and "I'll kill myself to prove my own worth and show that even if I'm disgraced and on the run, I'm still determined and able to live up to my father's legacy" in real time after Macalania. That's what Yevon has managed to do: everyone accepts the idea of ritual suicide as the highest thing to aspire to. It's in everyone's heads to the point where even Braska and Yuna, who end up going against Yevon and breaking all their other tenets, still accept it. The only thing that breaks that is Yunalesca flat out telling everyone "yeah it's all for nothing, things will literally never ever get better".

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
X is about playing Blitzball. X-2 is about managing Blitzball. X-2.5 is about the dangers of playing Blitzball, such as CTE and exploding.

If you disagree it's because your brain is so loving god drat bad, you ugly-brained piece of poo poo.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Mega64 posted:

X is about playing Blitzball. X-2 is about managing Blitzball. X-2.5 is about the dangers of playing Blitzball, such as CTE and exploding.

If you disagree it's because your brain is so loving god drat bad, you ugly-brained piece of poo poo.

A Blitzballer dressphere would be cash. Going by Wakka conspicuously being left out of Creature Creator though, there must have been some technical difficulty with programming a blitzball in X-2's battle system.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

gigglefeimer posted:

A Blitzballer dressphere would be cash. Going by Wakka conspicuously being left out of Creature Creator though, there must have been some technical difficulty with programming a blitzball in X-2's battle system.

That kid will never live out his dream of being a blitzball.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I like all the people saying x-2 is extremely goofy

Its as if an entire planet was living in constant fear of instant death via flying doomwhale simply flying nearby, and were under strict teachings of a fake religion. And when both were a non factor they... went out and started doing new things? Having some fun? Enjoying not being under the heel of a strict religion or having a doomwhale fly nearby and drop dandruff that turns into deadly monsters and causes local hurricanes? Wack.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
But I guess I shouldn't be surprised that goons can't comprehend going out and partying :smuggo:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Leal posted:

But I guess I shouldn't be surprised that goons can't comprehend going out and partying :smuggo:

Excuse me, I party all the time. Black Mage, Knight, Viking, even Dancer! I party with them all.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

lezard_valeth posted:

Having just played X for the first time, that last part isn't true. Right after Rikku spills the beans, Wakka and Lulu tell Tidus that they'd been trying for years to talk Yuna out of becoming a summoner.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I like X-2's setting. Spira's hitting it's awkward years after being not post-apocalyptic, but actively apocalyptic thanks to the flying rear end in a top hat whale tearing poo poo up. Everyone going a bit bonkers makes sense.

What I don't particularly like is the "bringing Tidus back" part. For much the same reason I don't like the canceled DLC stuff for XV. Sometimes sacrifice is just necessary. Yuna's sacrifice wasn't because it wouldn't actually fix anything and was just a stopgap measure, but to end Sin, Tidus' was. Life isn't always sunshine and rainbows, and sometimes, no matter how hard you try, you have to give up something important for the greater good. Yuna accepting that, finding herself without the need of self-sacrifice or Tidus, and standing on her own two feet, is much more interesting.

Honestly, for as dumb as it is in general, the -Will- audio drama kind of brings me around. Tidus and Yuna were teenagers caught up in a cycle of sacrifice, and latched onto one another as each other's first real love. It was never going to be perfect, and it was never going to last.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Is it really spelled Dressphere?

Wow

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

WaltherFeng posted:

Wow
No way. No way.

...welp.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Dresssssssssphere

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Drephere

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Costumeorb

Mega64
May 23, 2008

FFX-2 is about one man's epic journey to gently caress his cousin.

Why is Rikku's brother named Brother anyway?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Mega64 posted:

And isn't he older than Rikku? So what was he called before Rikku was born?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Mega64 posted:

Excuse me, I party all the time. Black Mage, Knight, Viking, even Dancer! I party with them all.

Ironically due to being DPS, Dancer has to wait the longest to get matched in a certain MMO.

Guess nobody wants to party with me.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mega64 posted:

same reason barkeep is named barkeep?

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Leal posted:

Checks out, Rikku is a confirmed partier and goons hate her.

WaltherFeng posted:

Wow

Shameful of the translator to change it from the original spelling, doresufia.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Mega64 posted:

Same reason his buddy is named Buddy.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i agree that they should make a AAA blitzball sim starring rikku

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

Hey everyone, remember me? I did it.

All in all, I didn't even like the game THAT much! But I hear that it's the weakest of FF games on Steam. I ended up being Level 81 when I beat the Iron Giant with a Ninja, Bard, Viking, and Devout. By the time I got to the final boss, I was able to ignore the tentacles and do a basic attack on the body 6 times to win the fight.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Welp

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Wow, you played like 2,454 times more FF3 than I could stomach

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Why

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mega64 posted:

I figured that was like his Spiran name, the way folks from China or something will sometimes pick out an English name. His actual name was probably like Luicehvilgan.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cartoon Violence posted:

Hey everyone, remember me? I did it.

if you were expecting me to be impressed im more, disappointed that you just didn't listen

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This is how I feel about 100%'ing any video game.

People did this poo poo for FFX, too. I like bot hFF3 and FFX but neither of them deserves this kind of work, IMO.

But whatever makes you happy, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

I dunno, I just enjoyed doing it the same way I enjoy playing a game like Siralim 3 or an idle game. It was relaxing and seeing the 100% achievement ribbon in my Steam library makes me feel good. I found the process calming.

I said I was going to get all the achievements on all the FF games on Steam and decided to show actual commitment. Make note that at the same time I played and beat 3 games on Switch and started playing 4 others, so it's not all I played these past few months.