Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

To be fair the first half hour of the game is like: Kojima productions, a game by hideo kojima, did we mention hideo kojima?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

It was cool seeing Sam getting goosebumps in the prologue.

SardonicTyrant fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 8, 2019

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

TheMostFrench posted:

To be fair the first half hour of the game is like: Kojima productions, a game by hideo kojima, did we mention hideo kojima?

Hideo Kojima Presents, a Hideo Kojima Productions Game, Death Stranding, a Hideo Kojima Joint.

Hideo.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Vikar Jerome posted:

i've only just started chapter 1 but everything so far as been fine and the cutscenes great. i mean there are new words for the future game world popping up you barely have context for in a expositiony way, as par the course for a kojima game, but im not sure what the hell you are expecting here. it looks and sounds great to me and its making sense from what little context i have so... :shrug:

I'm about 4.5 hours into the game and I agree that the dialogue is kinda bad. Characters don't have their own personalities and identifiable motivations so much as they deliver nonstop informational exposition to the player. You could swap Die-Hardman and Deadman's lines all throughout the first three hours and nothing would be significantly different, that to me is a sign of weak characterization.

I really like the concept and the environments once you actually get out into the world, but I feel like almost all the cinematics could have been told through the gameplay. People essentially figured out everything about Death Stranding back in 2017, I think they could have been trusted more to follow the story without spelling everything out line by line.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Since the thread waits in such trepidation for my next opinion, it doesn't even matter that I bought it because I spend more in every night at the bar, but that in the name of gently caress? Every time I feel like it's getting better icelandic landscape (in america who knows?) and good music plays and then its next cutscene because who did I hurt to be subjected to this. Why is a grown man saying such stupid things? I literally had to shut it down and fire up the Journey to see a good walking simulator.

I might be starting to grasp it, if the plan was to turn people off from playing videogames than Kojima is a genius indeed. If it was a joke, it is a funny joke. If its serious It's like really high-value production of "who was phone".

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
The dialogue isn't bad. This is how every non-American think Americans talk and act.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sekenr posted:

Since the thread waits in such trepidation for my next opinion, it doesn't even matter that I bought it because I spend more in every night at the bar

someone who brags about how much money they make doesn't deserve that gangtag

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

exquisite tea posted:

I'm about 4.5 hours into the game and I agree that the dialogue is kinda bad. Characters don't have their own personalities and identifiable motivations so much as they deliver nonstop informational exposition to the player. You could swap Die-Hardman and Deadman's lines all throughout the first three hours and nothing would be significantly different, that to me is a sign of weak characterization.

I really like the concept and the environments once you actually get out into the world, but I feel like almost all the cinematics could have been told through the gameplay. People essentially figured out everything about Death Stranding back in 2017, I think they could have been trusted more to follow the story without spelling everything out line by line.

Yeah the people speaking in infodumps and reedus going "gently caress you i do what I want" is a really grating series of interactions and shows Kojima's absolute lack of trust in a person to actually pick up on things.

There's so much exposition on stuff that's very obvious that important things seem to just get left out. It's kinda why Norman Reedus seems like such a non-character.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
If Tommy Wiseau isn't a character in this then that's wasted potential.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

exquisite tea posted:

hmm thats worrying, stuff i've seen so far seems fairly metal geary to me, tho i guess alot of that was in the codecs.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Chapter 1 cutscenes are better acted and written than chapter 2 cutscenes

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

exquisite tea posted:

So not only do they spell everything out in dialogue but the same stuff is also in emails and in the codec and in the training. He literally does not trust his players to figure out anything in this game.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I'm going to avoid emails and stuff and see how much of this I can figure out just by cutscene.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Some of these cutscenes would be so much better if they were slightly interactive.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I'm an hour and a half in, and absolutely loving it. The way the systems encourage you to pick through the terrain carefully makes this feel sooooooo much more like wandering through nature than exploring a video game map. I find myself picking out my walking lines just like when hiking/exploring in real life. This is gonna really satisfy the part of me that likes exploring in open-world games.

I don't understand the gripes about the writing. Tons of bizarre, creepy poo poo mixed with odd characters and over the top melodrama. It's exactly what I was expecting and looking forward to.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Rad Valtar posted:

So not only do they spell everything out in dialogue but the same stuff is also in emails and in the codec and in the training. He literally does not trust his players to figure out anything in this game.

are you really surprised given everyone from the past 5 years going batshit over what the hell this game is and then everyone trashing him for trusting too much with mgsv's piecing together/own player interpretation style?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I watched a friend stream this and was immediately intrigued despite having zero hype (possibly antihype considering how much I dislike Kojima's tendency to ghost people he works with if they're not famous enough while constantly trying to suck up to celebs who are) going in, but then to make sure if this was really going to be my jam I watched the Giant Bomb quick look and Vinny and Alex were basically tripping over themselves to try to warn people that the plot and story don't wind up being that satisfying without spoiling anything.

So now I'm still debating it, but mostly wondering if the core gameplay is really my jam. Like I can dig a game about truckin', I was super amused at seeing cargo get knocked off by bumping into terrain while trying to pick up other pieces of fallen cargo, and I *did* spend an entire other game picking up recyclables for cash so I'm down for a lot of weird and chill gameplay if the payoffs good, but is there like a demo?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Man I relate to Sam and how literally no one in the world has any sense of personal space

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Nov 8, 2019

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Xarbala posted:

I watched a friend stream this and was immediately intrigued despite having zero hype (possibly antihype considering how much I dislike Kojima's tendency to ghost people he works with if they're not famous enough while constantly trying to suck up to celebs who are) going in, but then to make sure if this was really going to be my jam I watched the Giant Bomb quick look and Vinny and Alex were basically tripping over themselves to try to warn people that the plot and story don't wind up being that satisfying without spoiling anything.

So now I'm still debating it, but mostly wondering if the core gameplay is really my jam. Like I can dig a game about truckin', I was super amused at seeing cargo get knocked off by bumping into terrain while trying to pick up other pieces of fallen cargo, and I *did* spend an entire other game picking up recyclables for cash so I'm down for a lot of weird and chill gameplay if the payoffs good, but is there like a demo?

There is no demo.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Just got to the start of chapter 2, time to get some food and then get back on Kojima's wild ride.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Very very mild spoiler

If my piss is basically the equivalent of the ghostbusters' proton stream...why can't I piss BTs away? I mean my bladder is full most of the time because I forget to piss.

This absolutely ruins my immersion

e: I mean Sam's bladder...guess immersion works

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

tuo posted:

Very very mild spoiler

If my piss is basically the equivalent of the ghostbusters' proton stream...why can't I piss BTs away? I mean my bladder is full most of the time because I forget to piss.

This absolutely ruins my immersion

e: I mean Sam's bladder...guess immersion works

Maybe he doesn't want to whip it out in the time rain

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I only had a chance to play for an hour last night, but the game is extremely beautiful looking. I am pretty blown away by this running on PS4 Pro. There was some absolute black magic at play to get this game looking this good.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Macaluso posted:

Man I relate to Sam and how literally no one in the world has any sense of personal space

loving right??? This was the first thing that stood out to me right away.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Oh loving god the controller makes baby crying noises while sneaking around the BTs :gonk:

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

I said come in! posted:

I only had a chance to play for an hour last night, but the game is extremely beautiful looking. I am pretty blown away by this running on PS4 Pro. There was some absolute black magic at play to get this game looking this good.

Yeah I played it for an hour last night too and it's definitely the best looking PS4 game so far. I can't tell what is pre-rendered and what is game engine and most of the landscape shots in the intro looked super realistic. I wish it was more of an hour of gameplay rather than mainly cutscenes but of course this is a Kojima™ production.

I turned it off and went to sleep right as the game was handing over the controls to do missions and actually play the game and now I just want to leave work early to go pick it back up.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Avirosb posted:

The dialogue isn't bad. This is how every non-American think Americans talk and act.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

That movie is almost saved by the entire supporting cast being way better at acting than Kevin Costner

Like every Kevin Costner film really

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Speaking as a long time Kojima fan this story is pure fucken nonsense. Or at least, it's delivered in the worst possible way. The cutscenes are still directed well and the actors are giving it their all so it's all still very intriguing but fucken a, this is a long way from MGS1 storyteller Kojima.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I had the same thought yesterday that this game is basically the Postman. I wonder if Kojima has seen it.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Content check: could a 9yo kid watch this game played without being scarred or growing up to be a Metal Gear villain?

I was really hyped about this for a while based on advance reviews, but the actual player word of mouth seems a lot more subdued.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
God this game is awful lol.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Speaking as a long time Kojima fan this story is pure fucken nonsense. Or at least, it's delivered in the worst possible way. The cutscenes are still directed well and the actors are giving it their all so it's all still very intriguing but fucken a, this is a long way from MGS1 storyteller Kojima.

I really love a lot of Kojima's work, but MGS1 has a mystical shaman who swam naked across the Bering Strait and talks to birds, a Russian psychic dude with pyrokenesis powers who moves your controller, a Kurdish sniper who doesn't need to eat at some times and hangs out with wolves and loving Otacon, a Russian Gunslinger who can ricochet bullets with mathematical precision, and whatever the gently caress DECOY OCTOPUS was

Kojima was never a great storyteller, just zany and entertaining

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Someone please keep a tally of poster opinions. Maybe for the OP.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The Macaroni posted:

Content check: could a 9yo kid watch this game played without being scarred or growing up to be a Metal Gear villain?

I was really hyped about this for a while based on advance reviews, but the actual player word of mouth seems a lot more subdued.

I think the parts with the BTs could be pretty scary but every 9 year old is different.

I'm really enjoying what I'm seeing so far. Granted I'm not very far in yet, but I think the story and the characters and writing are all perfectly fine. It absolutely nails the atmosphere it's going for

The only things I'm kind of "eh" about right now is A) the having to keep your balance when lugging around certain packages isn't really a fun mechanic and B) I wish directional line from you to the objective took into account an actual route, because I've had to stop and back track and go around a wall or mountain or waterfall a few times

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
After bouncing back hard on RDR2 I was fearing I might hate this game, but I'm a little bit into chapter 3 and I really like it. The controls are very responsive, and it doesn't feel like I'm fighting against Sam's movements like in RDR2. (I'm fighting against the weight of the cargo, but that's a different thing) I'm playing on Normal and maybe I should have picked Hard, haven't been grabbed a single time by BTs or Mules yet.

Is there any reason to use pee/poo grenades once you get blood grenades? The former seem to just disperse the BTs a bit (sometimes sending them floating straight up in my face) while the latter actually destroys them completely.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Macaluso posted:

B) I wish directional line from you to the objective took into account an actual route, because I've had to stop and back track and go around a wall or mountain or waterfall a few times

That's a good thing, would you want all the navigation in a game about navigation to be done automatically for you?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TulliusCicero posted:

I really love a lot of Kojima's work, but MGS1 has a mystical shaman who swam naked across the Bering Strait and talks to birds, a Russian psychic dude with pyrokenesis powers who moves your controller, a Kurdish sniper who doesn't need to eat at some times and hangs out with wolves and loving Otacon, a Russian Gunslinger who can ricochet bullets with mathematical precision, and whatever the gently caress DECOY OCTOPUS was

Kojima was never a great storyteller, just zany and entertaining

MSG1-3 were nutty, but well paced (mostly). MSG4 just got exhausting with the length of the cutscenes, and even if you liked Kojima craziness, MSG5's story was generally underwhelming and considered by most to be his weakest. I think there's good evidence that Kojima is not getting better.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Macaluso posted:

I think the parts with the BTs could be pretty scary but every 9 year old is different.

I'm really enjoying what I'm seeing so far. Granted I'm not very far in yet, but I think the story and the characters and writing are all perfectly fine. It absolutely nails the atmosphere it's going for

The only things I'm kind of "eh" about right now is A) the having to keep your balance when lugging around certain packages isn't really a fun mechanic and B) I wish directional line from you to the objective took into account an actual route, because I've had to stop and back track and go around a wall or mountain or waterfall a few times
You're supposed to zoom in on the map and plot your own route at the start of every delivery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

American McGay posted:

You're supposed to zoom in on the map and plot your own route at the start of every delivery.

lurker2006 posted:

That's a good thing, would you want all the navigation in a game about navigation to be done automatically for you?

I would yeah to be honest. Or the option to have it do that if I want. I'm not super interested in doing it manually. You have to navigate the terrain either way

I'm enjoying all the other gameplay stuff though. The sneaking around BTs is properly tense